Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wait, what's wrong with Civ VI?

UI is complete garbage, AI is a mess(last i haeard it's still got that oversight where other civs will never ever attack a city with even basic walls), eurekas are a neat idea but just end up feeling very repetitive after a few games, religion is insanely tedious

it's got the bones of a good game and i like stuff like the districts and the way city-states work this time but right now it's a game that needs a lot of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Civ5 is an average game that got worse with expansions. From what I hear Civ6 is worse. Luckily Civ4 still exists!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So is this just a general grand strategy thread now? I was looking at Wargame Red Dragon because it looked cool. Is there a dedicated thread or is this a hood spot to ask?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

So is this just a general grand strategy thread now? I was looking at Wargame Red Dragon because it looked cool. Is there a dedicated thread or is this a hood spot to ask?

There is a dedicated Red Dragon Thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626494

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

hood spot to ask?

:whatup: herd u were looking for t72 variants, I can hook you up fam

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Agean90 posted:

a game knowing what its wants to be and sticking to it is good imo
The expansions aren't even good as a model train set expander though. Mods have lead the way with any feature worth talking about. They've been treading water on any aspect you care to name as Skylines focus.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

lol scrub using armored war elephants. All you need is one fully upgraded Spartan Hoplite to rout the entire enemy army. (not a whole regiment, just one dude)
You can't assault every single barbarian city the moment you reach it with a Hoplite, you can with an elephant. :colbert:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bold Robot posted:

Skylines is at its best when treated like a digital version of a model train layout. You can make some really stunning cities with it and it's great to watch them come to life, but there is not much actual game there. It's pretty much nerd bonsai once you get past the initial hurdles of learning how to manage traffic. This is not really a bad thing and I've got like 500 hours played, lack of challenging gameplay notwithstanding - I find it very relaxing.

Yeah the thing about Skylines is that I think people were expecting a really serious detailed sim, but that's not what Skylines is - it's a chillout game. Basically an ant farm - it's fun to just kind of watch the system in action. The thing is that as far as detailed city sims go, the most recent one is still Sim City 4. I feel like hardcore sims seem to have gone out of fashion for whatever reason. I guess they're just too niche for companies to want to take the risk?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Morholt posted:

Civ5 is an average game that got worse with expansions. From what I hear Civ6 is worse. Luckily Civ4 still exists!

I donīt know, if you liked Civ5, Civ6 could be up your alley. It's more or less the same, with a few small differences and quite a few things missing. It's still got some ways to go, but it's definitely enjoyable.

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 4, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Morholt posted:

That's honestly the first time I've seen anyone say V's expacs made the game worse. I thought they were universally regarded as taking V from pretty average to really good. IMO VI is as good at release as V was after expacs. (IV is unquestionably the greatest in the series and one of the greatest in the genre, but as Jon Shafer said on Three Moves Ahead, following on from Civ IV kind of means you have to try something new and different.)

I want paradox to get the Call to Power license

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mister Adequate posted:

That's honestly the first time I've seen anyone say V's expacs made the game worse. I thought they were universally regarded as taking V from pretty average to really good. IMO VI is as good at release as V was after expacs. (IV is unquestionably the greatest in the series and one of the greatest in the genre, but as Jon Shafer said on Three Moves Ahead, following on from Civ IV kind of means you have to try something new and different.)

I want paradox to get the Call to Power license

Gods and Kings was really good and made Civ V much better but honestly I'd agree that Brave New World was a wash at best. Civ expansions have a tendency to add more subsystems that don't really fit in quite properly with the original game and are frankly of dubious value. I've never liked tourism in either Civ V or VI, or trade routes, don't much care for ideologies either but that might be because they're pretty late game stuff. Civ IV expansions weren't that good either really. Beyond the Sword had stuff like espionage, corporations, and vassal states that are mostly extranous (corps come so late that the game is probably decided already and you might as well stop playing, espionage is just meh in general, and I think most people don't play with vassal states on because the colonial maintenance thing is stupid).

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I just like watching the animated leaders in Civ games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Staltran posted:

Gods and Kings was really good and made Civ V much better but honestly I'd agree that Brave New World was a wash at best. Civ expansions have a tendency to add more subsystems that don't really fit in quite properly with the original game and are frankly of dubious value. I've never liked tourism in either Civ V or VI, or trade routes, don't much care for ideologies either but that might be because they're pretty late game stuff. Civ IV expansions weren't that good either really. Beyond the Sword had stuff like espionage, corporations, and vassal states that are mostly extranous (corps come so late that the game is probably decided already and you might as well stop playing, espionage is just meh in general, and I think most people don't play with vassal states on because the colonial maintenance thing is stupid).

And I'm the opposite, I disliked Gods and Kings, especially the absolutely awful religion mechanic, but thought Brave New World was pretty good. I REALLY hated V's religion mechanic. It's better in VI, thankfully.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VI's religion mechanic is built on the same framework as V's except they added religious combat which is one of the most fiddly and micromanagey bullshit systems in the entire series, plus by making religion a victory condition they also eliminated any cases where you could decide not to oppose and destroy all other religions

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Civ 6 is good but not as good as 5 because it doesn't have the Shoshone yet imo

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

VI's religion mechanic is built on the same framework as V's except they added religious combat which is one of the most fiddly and micromanagey bullshit systems in the entire series, plus by making religion a victory condition they also eliminated any cases where you could decide not to oppose and destroy all other religions

Being able to religiously combat the missionary spam is a huge plus in my book. I absolutely hated the passive missionary spam bullshit from V. VI's system is far superior thanks to that alone.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Civ IV religion spreading was obviously better because it was more simulationist.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I hate Civ 5 because the there were a bunch of neat ideas that had horrible design. City-States were neat, but the implementation was poor, you couldn't siege cities(assault or bust), religion was a terrible poo poo show, Wonders were OP as gently caress, annihilation combat, ummm...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ofaloaf posted:

I just like watching the animated leaders in Civ games.

Civ 3 was the best for this because they changed through the ages and you had like cavewoman Joan of Arc and Hammurabi in a business suit.

Funky Valentine posted:

Civ 6 is good but not as good as 5 because it doesn't have the Shoshone yet imo

ZULU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fintilgin posted:

Civ 3 was the best for this because they changed through the ages and you had like cavewoman Joan of Arc and Hammurabi in a business suit.

The world will never get King Kamehameha in a Hawaiian shirt.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Really, the superior game is Civ 2 by virtue of the advisor panel :love:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

IAmThatIs posted:

Really, the superior game is Civ 2 by virtue of the advisor panel :love:

"The people rejoice, sire! Long live your majesty... The King."

God I miss those advisor videos.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
grand strategy?????

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/eiyuu-senki-the-world-conquest/cid=UP1930-NPUB31849_00-EIYUUSENKIDL0010

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Clearly the direction Paradox must focus more on.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Groogy posted:

Clearly the direction Paradox must focus more on.

How's Wiz's dating sim going? :)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

There was nothing in CiV at release. It was a miserable monster of a game which Sid Meier had begun work upon but then flung aside.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mister Adequate posted:

(IV is unquestionably the greatest in the series and one of the greatest in the genre, but as Jon Shafer said on Three Moves Ahead, following on from Civ IV kind of means you have to try something new and different.)

I'm still counting Alpha Centauri as a civ game, so this is clearly an attempt to spread lies.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Call to Power 4 lyfe

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Call to Power 4 lyfe

Heck yeah

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been dosboxing both Master of Orion and Civilization this week and there's really something to be said for the tight simple gameplay of those classics. So many strategy games today just put in way way too manage features to ever correctly balance or fully integrate into a working whole. Or they seem to skip the whole "let's get the core gameplay really tight and balanced so all these other details and features have some good bones to support them" phase and just pile on mountains of features.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Baronjutter posted:

I've been dosboxing both Master of Orion and Civilization this week and there's really something to be said for the tight simple gameplay of those classics. So many strategy games today just put in way way too manage features to ever correctly balance or fully integrate into a working whole. Or they seem to skip the whole "let's get the core gameplay really tight and balanced so all these other details and features have some good bones to support them" phase and just pile on mountains of features.

MoO is still one of my favorite strategy games. The economy is simple to run, but there's still a tradeoff in production now vs. production later, where and when to subsidize, etc. It also has the advantage that the economy is simple enough that the AI can actually use it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I got into a real rabbit hole with the Imperialism games, which are on GOG. Actually the core gameplay has too much busy work so there really should be more variety in what the player does in a turn, but despite that it's a really tight, cutthroat economic race.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

I'm still counting Alpha Centauri as a civ game, so this is clearly an attempt to spread lies.

word

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a nice strategy guide for getting started in Victoria II? I played some about a year ago but I've already forgotten everything and need a primer.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a nice strategy guide for getting started in Victoria II? I played some about a year ago but I've already forgotten everything and need a primer.

The kersch lp on lparchive.org

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Crazy question. I think I heard jokes about how people would love to see politicians play paradox games before making a decision to vote. I've got a friend who is running for Congress and she's thinking about doing some twitch streams to try and build some media buzz/do things differently.

I'm trying to talk her into doing a stream of Vicki II. Is that something people would be interested in?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would be, but you might want to give it a test run first because going into Vicky by dead reckoning isn't going to be much fun or entertaining.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Her opponents would have a field day.

"How can you trust someone with the reigns of government when they don't even set all their national focuses to recruit bureaucrats?"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Crazy question. I think I heard jokes about how people would love to see politicians play paradox games before making a decision to vote. I've got a friend who is running for Congress and she's thinking about doing some twitch streams to try and build some media buzz/do things differently.

I'm trying to talk her into doing a stream of Vicki II. Is that something people would be interested in?

EU4, very hard mode garbage OPM or bust :v:

Serious answer: CK2 would probably be more interesting to watch a politician play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, CK2 is, in my opinion, the most interesting Paradox game to watch someone else play. The ideological trappings of Vicky 2 might make it a bit too uncomfortably close to modern politics

"My capitalists are so useless."
"It's not worth passing any liberal reforms yet, I'll just send in the army to deal with the dissidents."
"Ugh, I need more oil. Where's an oil-producing country I can invade..."