Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
so ninja gaiden 3 non-razors-edge is actually way worse than i remembered lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dewgy posted:

Gotta stock up!

Thanks to the egg laying being tied to the frame rate the PS4 re-release turned chickens into egg factories by mistake.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guy Mann posted:

Thanks to the egg laying being tied to the frame rate the PS4 re-release turned chickens into egg factories.

Leon's pose really ties this all together

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Guy Mann posted:

Thanks to the egg laying being tied to the frame rate the PS4 re-release turned chickens into egg factories by mistake.

That's not a bug, it's a feature!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Oh I guess Bloodborne is also a perfect game

me too, i am too

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's not perfect until it's on PC

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

It's not perfect until it's on PC

Wii u emulator runs it at 10 fps

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can still barely PS2 emulation working properly I feel like Wii U is heavily jumping the gun

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Real hurthling! posted:

Wii u emulator runs it at 10 fps

A Wii U emulator can run Bloodborne? :eyepop:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

I can still barely PS2 emulation working properly I feel like Wii U is heavily jumping the gun

Dolphin is some kind of wizard magic though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

A Wii U emulator can run Bloodborne? :eyepop:

Oh fuuuuuuuuuuck

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish the ps4 would let you do custom control schemes on a game by game basis because Night in the Woods only uses 3 buttons and I want to be able to play it one handed for maximum efficiency so I can drink wine while playing :\

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Dolphin is some kind of wizard magic though.

My only experience with dolphin is playing Mega Man 9/10 which probably isn't putting the thing through its paces properly

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks thread for the cute and/or funny pics/vids, they really helped :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

My only experience with dolphin is playing Mega Man 9/10 which probably isn't putting the thing through its paces properly

I wanna set it up for skies of arcadia

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/chubigans/status/840409171069698048

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dolphin runs super Mario sunshine on my 5 year old cheap rear end laptop so I'm going with "wizardry"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

Thanks thread for the cute and/or funny pics/vids, they really helped :)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RE7: I just got to the Old House and gently caress gently caress gently caress this place :gonk:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dewgy posted:

Gotta stock up!

You need more weed but you have the proper amount of fish.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Breath of the Wild is a perfect game

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

RE7: I just got to the Old House and gently caress gently caress gently caress this place :gonk:

That game is flat out amazing start to finish. I disagree with people who say the first act is vastly superior to the others. The tone changes somewhat but there was only one part I didn't like and if anything the problem with that part is that it's way too long and over designed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Okay, Bloodychill:

What game deserves a perfect score? Because right now your comment doesn't actually appear to differ between perfect score and literal perfection and the fact that you're taking it as an insult against you implies to me that is exactly what you mean.

Almost all the game mechanics go together very tightly and are well-designed, the game nails its visual and sound design, the game brings at least one new thing to the table, there are no game-breaking bugs, performance is at least serviceable, the (fairly subjective) quality of writing and story-telling are good if that's a factor in the game, and the very subjective "is this game fun as all hell." There can obviously be some give/take on each category. That's a perfect score.

Games that approach this over the past two years for me are Bloodborne (couple minor design issues like always needing to teleport through the dream, farming blood vials come to mind, performance was pretty awful in terms of loading and lost frames in some places), Link Between Worlds (my only issue was it was maybe a little too derivative of LttP, but that's about it), and maybe Titanfall 2 but I got super into the multiplayer so that got it over the line for some AI issues I ran into in the main campaign)... probably some others I can't think of.

I got some issues with Zelda's game design already mentioned, the sound design is kinda eh (music is overly sparse and cuts weird on zone, not a fan of the music anyway this time around), and the performance issues bug me a ton. I get major hang when fighting certain enemies like the game will freeze up for a couple seconds each time I attack them. The stamina is kind of a drag where I'll find myself in 127 Hours situations while climbing but be like sooo close to a ridge, it's odd to have stamina play into swimming, the treasure chests have big unlock sequences or can be tough to find but are lame and usually contain something not very interesting and they oddly removed the old Zelda mechanic where treasure chest quality denotes the quality of what's inside, the fire is neat at first but gets annoying as the game goes on (similar to Myth where I first saw that)the rock bosses get old quickly, the game feels aimless at times because of a weak narrative, the dungeons are underwhelming... I don't want to bitch too hard but all these little things add up to me feeling like they take away from the great things which are: The exploration is great and they give you a lot of good tools for it (towers, scope, horse, color fit highlighting unexplored shrines, the physics simulation stuff is really fun and feeds into the combat and exploration as well as the tools the games give you, the shrine puzzles can get pretty clever, the weather is really cool in how it affects the game though it can get in the way of exploration, the interaction with NPC's is really neat and a lot of them have cute quests, the combat is serviceable and the weapon selection is neat.

That was a lot of words but yeah. Oh also why can't I house and name the bear I tamed. Come on!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

That game is flat out amazing start to finish. I disagree with people who say the first act is vastly superior to the others. The tone changes somewhat but there was only one part I didn't like and if anything the problem with that part is that it's way too long and over designed.

I don't normally like survival horror games (I totally bounced off Alien: Isolation) but I am really digging this. Also I am leaning in real life like a doof when fighting enemies, I would probably literally die if I tried playing this in VR

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This project is off to a good start!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Almost all the game mechanics go together very tightly and are well-designed, the game nails its visual and sound design, the game brings at least one new thing to the table, there are no game-breaking bugs, performance is at least serviceable, the (fairly subjective) quality of writing and story-telling are good if that's a factor in the game, and the very subjective "is this game fun as all hell." There can obviously be some give/take on each category. That's a perfect score.

If you're saying "approach that" then you've not actually answered the question. What is a 'perfect score" game. Not one that approaches it. A genuine game that you would go "This got 10/10 and deserves it." If you can't name a single game that deserves a perfect score then you're actually doing exactly what I said: creating an unobtainable ideal for no reason.

This is exactly the problem I mentioned before. Treating 10/10 not as "this is a top mark" but as a magical perfect unobtainable ideal which no game can match, and then getting upset when people actually use it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 11, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Picross 3D 2 is the perfect game, the primary flaw being that there isn't more of it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ah there we go. Dunno what happened but it's working now. Let's get this show on the road!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Picross 3D 2 is the perfect game, the primary flaw being that there isn't more of it

Picross 3D is one of my favorite games ever. I should the sequel...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Finally tried out Thumper and :catdrugs: :catdrugs: :catdrugs:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Ah there we go. Dunno what happened but it's working now. Let's get this show on the road!

Picross 3D is one of my favorite games ever. I should the sequel...

Dude yes. Absolutely. Right now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macaluso posted:

It's great but a game genuinely too hard for me.

I think I got to about Level 4 and every stage was taking me about 15 minutes of retries to beat and there were five more levels of like thirty stages.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If I reviewed botw I would give it 10/10 and I think there are some big flaws in the game. I haven't enjoyed exploring in a game this much ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kong: Skull Island turned out to be a pretty good movie.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'd been recording gameplay videos at 3000kbps @ 720p and uploading them to youtube. tonight i download an mp4 of one back from my youtube and it was 1/5th the size. so i guess Youtube's bitrate is like 600kbps. makes me wonder if there's even a point to recording them beyond like 1500kbps

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

Now imagine it in VR :lsd:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if i reviewed it it would be the really excited gamepro face for most of the categories but then a less excited one for sound and performance and a side bar about how lots of decisions led to a less fun game than they could have had.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

If you're saying "approach that" then you've not actually answered the question. What is a 'perfect score" game. Not one that approaches it. A genuine game that you would go "This got 10/10 and deserves it." If you can't name a single game that deserves a perfect score then you're actually doing exactly what I said: creating an unobtainable ideal for no reason.

This is exactly the problem I mentioned before. Treating 10/10 not as "this is a top mark" but as a magical perfect unobtainable ideal which no game can match, and then getting upset when people actually use it.

If a paper deserves an A+, it gets an A+. If it doesn't, it doesn't and whining about it is stupid. Same goes for games. Of the games I mentioned, LBW is probably the only perfect score game. BB and TF2 are damned close.

There's nothing wrong in holding things to a high standard. It doesn't mean a 9 is "just good" or a 7 is trash. I wasn't one of myriad weirdos whining when Twlight Princess "only got an 88." So gently caress gently caress off with all that "magical impossible scores that no game could achieve." Like I laid out a pretty good metric there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Twilight princess is like a 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Skyward Sword is a big number 2.

• Locked thread