Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bewbies posted:

Someone make a realistic Tebow in OOTP and force start him in RF and see what happens.

He slashes like .120/.130/.200 and plays bad defense. Sorry for the spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Remember Strike-O-Matic and his inexplicably good numbers?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Still better than Heyward.

What would a Tebow rain delay speech even have been like?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

Silent prayer

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

"Let us pray", followed by the Cubs losing the game in explosive fashion, Tebow washing out of MLB, and lots of ESPN stories about him trying to break into the NHL.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remember Strike-O-Matic and his inexplicably good numbers?

Didn't he it? also steal a base at some point?

Someone made PDFs of both seasons/threads, right? I had them on an old computer and am bummed I can't find them anymore.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Inspector_666 posted:

Jays pitcher TJ House took a liner to the head just a little bit ago, they aren't finishing the game.

https://twitter.com/tomyoung590/status/840308891527331840

God I need this.

He's okay!

https://twitter.com/THouse25/status/840348367616118784
https://twitter.com/THouse25/status/840348567101460480

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Paracaidas posted:

Someone made PDFs of both seasons/threads, right? I had them on an old computer and am bummed I can't find them anymore.

Yeah, Strike-O-Matic finished one season with an SB.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Some sources were saying the ball went 30 feet in the air after hitting his head :gonk:
The human body is really amazing sometimes. Get drilled in the head with a projectile going amazing speeds and come out of it relatively unharmed (not saying this is the case here, extent of the recovery is unknown, but it has happened before). Twist your knee or back slightly in the wrong way and be out for months.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Your Taint posted:

"That's Cub" reminds me of that scene in Mean Girls where the one girl tries to make "fetch" work.

I can't get over how this is the best post about "That's Cub"

Real glad that TJ House is okay, sounded dire...no one wants that.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 11, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Some sources were saying the ball went 30 feet in the air after hitting his head :gonk:

Gameday says the catcher caught the ball, which....yikes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I saw a quote from Gibbons that he managed to get his glove up so it didn't fly directly into his dome, thank goodness.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Paul Zuvella posted:

He slashes like .120/.130/.200 and plays bad defense. Sorry for the spoilers

You could go in and mess around with his settings and at least give him a fighting chance of making the bigs.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Inspector_666 posted:

I saw a quote from Gibbons that he managed to get his glove up so it didn't fly directly into his dome, thank goodness.

MLB really needs to be working on head protection. I know it's been said but I feel passionately about this. Guys like Brandon McCarthy essentially got lucky ("lucky" being a relative term). Under the wrong circumstances (you instinctively turn your head to protect your face and don't get the glove all the way up in time) and take one flush off the temple you're in big trouble.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 11, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Taint posted:

MLB really needs to be working on head protection. I know it's been said but I feel passionately about this. Guys like Brandon McCarthy essentially got lucky ("lucky" being a relative term). Under the wrong circumstances (you instinctively turn your head to protect your face and don't get the glove all the way up in time) and take one flush off the temple you're in big trouble.

What can you do about that, though? They're not going to wear a full-on helmet, and a reinforced cap isn't going to help much there.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Inspector_666 posted:

What can you do about that, though? They're not going to wear a full-on helmet, and a reinforced cap isn't going to help much there.

I would think a reinforced cap would give enough protection to at least lessen the blow from a direct hit on the temple. It still would be scary and the pitcher would probably still get hurt, but I'm thinking you could at least prevent death or serious injury.

I don't think anything like a batting helmet would be feasible, plus guys wouldn't want to wear them. People much smarter than me would have to figure it out, but you'd think at least something could be done.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I don't see anything changing unless somebody dies. Players don't want to wear anything but a cap and this isn't as serious a problem like the NFL with concussions, it just doesn't happen that often for there to be any serious push.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Pitchers are against reinforced caps because they've spent large portions of their lives fine-tuning themselves to be as effective as possible and even a seemingly minor alteration to their cap design can throw them off. Personally I'd be in favour of mandating a reinforced cap starting in little league ASAP so the next generation of MLB pitchers can grow up with it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Also they don't want to look like doofuses.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Also they don't want to look like doofuses.

Apparently they've never heard of pitch face.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Baseball should be played with tennis balls and metal bats because that's all I had when I was a kid and they go really far when you hit them and if you take a liner to the face it just stings pretty bad

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you wanna feel like the strongest person in the world toss golfballs to yourself with a metal bat.

NOTE: Do not do this near any houses/cars/people that you value.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

If you wanna feel like the strongest person in the world toss golfballs to yourself with a metal bat.

I'm reasonably certain you could break my windows from your place like this. If you're doing this, please aim to the east.

In WBC news, Yadi owns and Carlos Beltran's bleached facial hair makes it look like he was eating Cheetos out of a feedbag like a horse.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Pancakes posted:

Carlos Beltran's bleached facial hair makes it look like he was eating Cheetos out of a feedbag like a horse.
...you mean he wasn't? :confused:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

nmfree posted:

...you mean he wasn't? :confused:

"On the next episode of Fielder's Choice..."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd watch Fielder's Choice if the only guests were enormous, beefy baseball players. Today on Fielder's Choice, Ray King makes his special Literally an Entire Pig with special guest Jumbo Diaz and "Cowboy" Joe West

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'd watch Fielder's Choice if the only guests were enormous, beefy baseball players. Today on Fielder's Choice, Ray King makes his special Literally an Entire Pig with special guest Jumbo Diaz and "Cowboy" Joe West
I'm glad you picked Ray King as your fat old lovely Former Brewer and not Rubén Quevedo, because :(

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Reactive armor baseball caps. When your cap senses an incoming baseball a small explosion launches a piece of your cap against the ball to blunt the force. Hire me MLB

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

The human body is really amazing sometimes. Get drilled in the head with a projectile going amazing speeds and come out of it relatively unharmed (not saying this is the case here, extent of the recovery is unknown, but it has happened before). Twist your knee or back slightly in the wrong way and be out for months.

I had a line drive hit the brim of my hat so directly that it split the brim and left me a goose egg from the indirect shock through the brim for several days, another guy in my league had to have his jaw wired shut for 6 weeks, so it can vary pretty widely

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I'm in favor of all fielders wearing John Olerud--style helmets, including pitchers

man that guy owned

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

That throw is disappointingly mediocre. I was expecting so much more of a shitshow.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

I feel like better PDFs were made at some point, but these are all I could find:
Thread 1
Thread 2

holy poo poo these are nine years old

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Make pitchers wear helmets. In fact, have baseball players wear full football pads and make the game a contact sport. Catchers can block the plate again, get rid of neighborhood plays, and if a baserunner tackles a fielder and the fielder drops the ball then there's no out.

Somebody call Vince McMahon, if he thought the XFL was a good idea then boy do I have a pitch for him. Tebow can bring back the He Hate Me jersey

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I feel like better PDFs were made at some point, but these are all I could find:
Thread 1
Thread 2

holy poo poo these are nine years old

You're amazing.
If anyone hasn't read these, rectify that immediately.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/840221440507035648

Well that's nice, I guess?

Also they clarified that his hair didn't violate the team rules, but that it was "distraction" in camp, whatever that means.

I realize that this is a bit late, but based on those photos Locks of Love can't actually use his hair unless they've seriously changed their donation standards. I donated twice back in the day and they had very specific guidelines about how the hair had to be donated. Doesn't look like they're complying with length or style requirements. I choose to believe that the Yankees are lying about donating to kids with cancer to give themselves cover for their stupid rule. Because that's Yankee.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
They're donating to Merkins Of Hope.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Poque posted:

I hope that's where Espinoza's beard went

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Julio Cruz posted:

Pitchers are against reinforced caps because they've spent large portions of their lives fine-tuning themselves to be as effective as possible and even a seemingly minor alteration to their cap design can throw them off. Personally I'd be in favour of mandating a reinforced cap starting in little league ASAP so the next generation of MLB pitchers can grow up with it.

This would be how it has to be done. Start with the next generation, but then you'd have to get all the Babe Ruth and high school and college teams to do it for consistency and that just seems like a nightmare.

I just don't want to see anyone die or be permanently disabled and I'm honestly kind of surprised it hasn't happened at the major league level yet.

However several years ago I know a first base coach in the minors died after getting hit in the head with a line drive.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Poque posted:

Some poor kid will finally get the fire crotch they deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Popete posted:

My best friend growing up had a huge communal backyard and always had these huge Superballs that were about the size of baseballs. It was fun as Hell to hit them until we had to go into people's backyards blocks away to try to retrieve them.

• Locked thread