Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Just dig a trench and fill it with burning tires.

Homeownership: Field-expedient tank-traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

The soil is really hard after the first few inches and I thought putting up a mailbox was gonna kill me (also it came out really crooked) so I don't have a lot of confidence in this as a DIY job.

Couple options: rent a power auger, or hire someone who knows what they're doing. Either way a split rail fence is probably going to be your cheapest, easiest to maintain option that doesn't look like poo poo and doesn't involve delivery of large rocks.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Fair enough. I guess I'll try the reflectors for now and think about upgrading later.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Some cheap trees along the road at 10' intervals will do it. Just use some stakes till they are tall enough.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

View out of the fixer upper house I just bought :3:

(honolulu)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

LogisticEarth posted:

Couple options: rent a power auger, or hire someone who knows what they're doing. Either way a split rail fence is probably going to be your cheapest, easiest to maintain option that doesn't look like poo poo and doesn't involve delivery of large rocks.

Hiring someone is the way to go. We had a fence installed last year, and I was blown away by how quickly a crew of four guys got the entire job done. About four hours total start to finish for about 200' of fencing and all with manual tools. That would have taken me a months worth of weekends to do myself.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Rocks posted:

(honolulu)

Well that explains the price tag. Awesome view.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rocks posted:

(honolulu)

Holy poo poo. Nice work! :toot:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rocks posted:

(honolulu)

:bahgawd:

drat you and your fantastic quality of life

More pics please

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

brugroffil posted:

Hiring someone is the way to go. We had a fence installed last year, and I was blown away by how quickly a crew of four guys got the entire job done. About four hours total start to finish for about 200' of fencing and all with manual tools. That would have taken me a months worth of weekends to do myself.

And I'll bet it wasn't a crooked, terrible-looking abomination either. lol.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

It's not too hard to do a straight fence if you do a little homework and prep. I recently did it for the first time for about 80 feet of cedar fencing and it wasn't too bad. The posts take the most planning to make sure they are plumb and lined up. After that you're just slapping on boards. Two weekends, all told. First for posts, second for the boards. Split rail should be easier since the holes arent too deep and there isn't nearly as much wood required.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm saving up for a sick rock fence but there's no way that I'd be willing to DIY that sort of fence, specifically. A normal fence is actually a reasonable DIY project, and even fancy vinyl fences are sold as DIY modular components that you can buy at places like dome depot.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Rocks posted:

(honolulu)

Nice! Post your findings in the Crappy Construction thread as appropriate!

My parents bought a beach house in South Carolina, and the winning part of that was turning the original deck into a sunroom. Not bad, they enclosed and insulated the bottom, used decent windows, roof creates a personal deck for the master bedroom, and a screened in room is great in the south. But they left the traditional lip decks have, which funneled LOTS of water under the windows into the floor of the room.

Solution: Sawzall off the lip with a long, flexible blade while leaning out the window(s). Then flashing.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Welp, I have my first oh-poo poo moment as a homeowner. We bought a house with a sewer in need of about 20 feet of trenching and replacement - the seller bid it at 5k from some untrustworthy company, we get our own guys to come in and the job ends up being 7k.

Except now that they're down there, they found that another 45 feet of the sewer is in bad condition and should be fixed - for another 7k dollars. At least one 10-ft section should get a liner ($3500), and then the other 32-foot section they would do for $3500.

So all in all, this 5k project turns into about 14k - if we decide to pony up the dough.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Do it now. Old sewers will haunt you, and ruining your yard twice will make it worse. Welcome to home ownership!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah do it. I had the same thing you're experiencing where they kept digging and finding more faults in the line. Ended up having to replace every turn until the straight shot to the street.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Drunk Tomato posted:

Welp, I have my first oh-poo poo moment as a homeowner. We bought a house with a sewer in need of about 20 feet of trenching and replacement - the seller bid it at 5k from some untrustworthy company, we get our own guys to come in and the job ends up being 7k.

Except now that they're down there, they found that another 45 feet of the sewer is in bad condition and should be fixed - for another 7k dollars. At least one 10-ft section should get a liner ($3500), and then the other 32-foot section they would do for $3500.

So all in all, this 5k project turns into about 14k - if we decide to pony up the dough.

Do it and also get the landscaping finished the same year before it frosts (I don't know if it frosts where you are). The house I grew up in had to have the main replaced and we dallied on redoing the grade on our lawn and it literally never looked the same. It probably knocked 10k off the eventual valuation of the house.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Do it and also get the landscaping finished the same year before it frosts (I don't know if it frosts where you are). The house I grew up in had to have the main replaced and we dallied on redoing the grade on our lawn and it literally never looked the same. It probably knocked 10k off the eventual valuation of the house.

Not sure if this has to do with the frost or if it's the soil type and grass species. A lot of folks backfill improperly (over/under compaction) or with poo poo soil. If anything, a few frost cycles should even out any slight imperfections in grade.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a recommendation for an outdoor security camera setup? Something secure, not too expensive, and hopefully simple to install.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Try this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an outdoor security camera setup? Something secure, not too expensive, and hopefully simple to install.

Look at Lorex by Flir. They've got a great selection of systems, including some of the smallest and most affordable POe PTZ cameras I've ever seen. Plus they've got some really slick 2k/4k resolution systems with good NVRs.

Don't use wifi cameras since you still need wires for power, and low voltage poe ethernet cables are a million times easier to run.

Drop cams and stuff are insanely expensive and honestly mediocre at best. You want something with a dedicated NVR unit, preferably with cloud support you can access from an app on your phone.

Eg, here's a whole system for the price of a single POE PTZ dome camera from other places:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-security-camera-system/hd-security-camera-system-with-nvr-2-ptz-cameras-and-2-bullets/HDIP422Z-1-p

I bought this back in November and I'm loving it. Weatherproof ip66 rated, vandal proof metal domes, inconspicuous, easy to set up. Downside is that it's only 1080 resolution (720 on the domes), but that's plenty adequate for the average homeowner.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3034265/hard-coded-password-exposes-up-to-46000-video-surveillance-dvrs-to-hacking.html

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yikes; poo poo like this is why I don't use internet-enabled automation/security devices

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah what can I buy that has nothing to do with a fuckin cloud and just records to a NAS address or something

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Obvious old man yells at cloud joke

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

Yikes; poo poo like this is why I don't use internet-enabled automation/security devices

I did a research paper on IoT device security for a grad class I was taking recently and my takeaway was that you're essentially depending on nobody caring/being bored enough to gently caress with you or watch your feed.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What is the point of an elaborate home CCTV system?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

because we all secretly lust for being the one who controls a glorious surveillance state a la 1984

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

brugroffil posted:

What is the point of an elaborate home CCTV system?

Maybe they can see it by connecting securely to a home VPN server and then looking at the cameras on the "local" network.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I was using CCTV to mean security camera systems in general even if they are networked.

I want a thermal camera for my backyard to watch animals, but I don't really get why I'd want to otherwise have a bunch of cameras on my home.

E: I get it from a cool tech toy aspect I suppose

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 11, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I use mine to to check a few things when I'm away from my house on vacation.

Is my pool overflowing/losing water?
Is my pool equipment spouting a stream of water from around the pumps?
Have any of my shade sails ripped in half and flapping in the wind, banging a metal chain everywhere?
Does all my stuff look undisturbed/unrobbed?
If my alarm went off, is it a false alarm or is someone actually trying to break in?
Is there an unexpected package sitting on my doorstep?
If my doorbell rings, I can see who it is without going to the door so I can ignore most people without seeming rude, since they can see through the glass.
Did I remember to close my garage?
If someone is working on my house, I can often make sure they aren't loving something up without being annoying and hovering over them.

There are probably useful things I get out of them, but I mainly like to make sure everything is OK with the house when I'm not in it. I usually check once a day when I'm on a trip, takes a couple minutes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

that all just sounds like self-voyeurism to me

Don't get me wrong there are some definite practical applications there but some of these ideas are definitely just "I like to watch the spaces in my home"

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

that all just sounds like self-voyeurism to me

Don't get me wrong there are some definite practical applications there but some of these ideas are definitely just "I like to watch the spaces in my home"

Most people have lovely houses that wouldn't warrant any kind of security or remote monitoring, so I can see where you are coming from too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If property crime is high in your area, video screen grabs can help local cops identify serial robbers.

Also, if your house happens to be at the entrance of your neighborhood, you can possibly provide license plate number to neighbors if their house is burglarized.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

A lot of my neighbors on my south side Chicago street have cameras, which means I don't have to, particularly if my house continues to look like a dump. It just gets left alone.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Thoguh posted:

I did a research paper on IoT device security for a grad class I was taking recently and my takeaway was that you're essentially depending on nobody caring/being bored enough to gently caress with you or watch your feed.

To be honest that's true of most of your home security. You can take steps to make sure your house isn't unduly appealing but anyone determined can get at your stuff.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Seems cost effective to just get decent insurance

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Buca di Bepis posted:

Seems cost effective to just get decent insurance

How much do these cameras actually cost? My wife keeps making noise about getting motion detecting stuff/cameras.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

How much do these cameras actually cost? My wife keeps making noise about getting motion detecting stuff/cameras.

I paid about $125 per camera for hikvision 4k, $200 for a PoE router, $60 for Blue Iris, and about $1000 for two low voltage guys to help me install 10 cameras over 2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

$2500 for a DYI CCTV system seems kind of high, don't most security companies only charge a few hundred dollars for a full installation? I guess those usually come with pretty long monitoring contracts