Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
temped at 160
sent back for being "too raw"
eat poo poo regulars

front of house expo:
"EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE NOW"
dies in the window

"we want you full time!"
*does not offer insurance*
"why aren't you sure yet?!"

day crew: six people
"hey nite crew? step up on prep"
there are four of us

kitchen manager
pokes at phone while line gets snowed
s'good to be the king

/haiku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Speaking of grease, one of my favorite mindless tasks to do in the kitchen was scraping down the fryer. Like you know on the sides or the back, where you'd never get to with normal cleaning? And it would be all rubberized and one good scrape you'd make thai ice cream rolls of grease and crunchy bits, and unf, so satisfying.

I also watch pimple popper vids.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Our hood system is hosed! :saddowns:

Its alright I didn't want to actually make money today. Its whiskey day instead.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Speaking of grease, one of my favorite mindless tasks to do in the kitchen was scraping down the fryer. Like you know on the sides or the back, where you'd never get to with normal cleaning? And it would be all rubberized and one good scrape you'd make thai ice cream rolls of grease and crunchy bits, and unf, so satisfying.

I also watch pimple popper vids.

This but the little lip under tables or counter tops.
It's one of the first things I do whenever I start at a new place and everyone thinks your some kind of cleaning God after that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Thumposaurus posted:

This but the little lip under tables or counter tops.

Man, that's a terrible place to get pimples.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

You can't really use kerosene on things that will be having food cooked/served/prepared on.
Kitchen degreasers are nasty but they are rated to be "food safe"

I meant for getting it off my hands, but like how can anything that can blister and put a rash on your skin in anyway "food safe"?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

bongwizzard posted:

I meant for getting it off my hands, but like how can anything that can blister and put a rash on your skin in anyway "food safe"?

it boils down to health/safety regulations and poo poo about where you store it, how you dilute it, etc

if you just put a tub of it on the line that's gonna make people go what the gently caress but stored and used properly it's no big deal. it's certainly less scary than a deep fryer imo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Trebuchet King posted:

it boils down to health/safety regulations and poo poo about where you store it, how you dilute it, etc

if you just put a tub of it on the line that's gonna make people go what the gently caress but stored and used properly it's no big deal. it's certainly less scary than a deep fryer imo.

Yup, all our chemicals are stored in two locations. One by the mop sink (and no where near food), and the other on a specific rack. The former is where the open stuff is, and the closest it gets to food is the stuff on dirty dishes.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Anyone else have experience with one of these in their kitchen? Just started as an engineer in a hotel with one, and it seems like magic thinking bullshit. The other engineers were cleaning the gigantic grease trap today and everything was jammed up tight in there.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We have a few in the hotel I work in. I have no first hand experience using them, but I've never seen them broken down or being worked on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am...curious about how much weight is being carried by the "recycled plastic Bio Chips" they mention require replacement. Or the proprietary "Microorganisms" that can "run low" through use.

...Upon reading more about the process, I think part of why they're being so cagey is that the microorganism may be a strain of something that's well-known for having other strains that are dangerous for humans, like strep, staph, or e.coli.

This is a question for one of the science threads.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 2, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Discendo Vox posted:

I am...curious about how much weight is being carried by the "recycled plastic Bio Chips" they mention require replacement. Or the proprietary "Microorganisms" that can "run low" through use.

...Upon reading more about the process, I think part of why they're being so cagey is that the microorganism may be a strain of something that's well-known for having other strains that are dangerous for humans, like strep, staph, or e.coli.

This is a question for one of the science threads.

I'm curious how they trust your average 16 year old slop kid to not fill this thing with dead leaves, cardboard, spent grease, cigarette butts, and antimicrobial soap

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

In our case it's 70 year old Hispanic ladies, and they have huge signs hanging around saying only put this, not this into it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Question from the biology thread: Does the ORCA smell like worse than anything you've ever imagined?

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

front of house expo:
"EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE NOW"
dies in the window

This.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm curious how they trust your average cook to not fill this thing with dead leaves, cardboard, spent grease, cigarette butts, and antimicrobial soap

Fixed

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hi industry goons. I'm a lurker and post in this thread every once in awhile.

A little about me: from Georgia, went to culinary school, moved to Vail Colorado for my internship, and stayed for a couple years, then moved to Portland Oregon, didn't fancy that one much, and Now Im a Head chef for 2(at the moment) restaurants for a small to medium hospitality company.

I've finally gotten myself to the point where I can finally enjoy some tiny fruits of my labor like a terrible but not absolutely terrible schedule for a Chef, where I can see my wife at least one day a week, an ok(still super broke its NYC) salary, a good track with the company I am with for the next few years,etc.

I've felt a little lost lately, wondering what's next. Im a little older now, and this job doesn't get any easier, and i have been working like a dog for the past 10 years with few memories besides stupid kitchen poo poo that no one cares about. I still love what I do, but I think I'm finally started to get "over" Nyc and start thinking about what(or where) is next. I moved here just because it was hard going to be really hard.

One lazy Sunday ago my wife had the Kardashians on in the living room, and they went to Vail for a vacation. I cant stand that show but i couldn't help but watch a little. I think it got some cogs moving.

I then started to have a crisis figuring out whats next. San Francisco came to mind but thats like starting all over, and i moved from Portland because I found the people to be a little much for me. I somehow fit in here better in NY. Then I remembered my first real Chef mentor at the hotel i worked at in vail is still there and one of the most known chefs in town right now and hes killing it.

He came to Vail in his early 20's, cooked for a few years, sowed his wild cooking oats elsewhere, and at like 10 years later moved back to Vail, got a sweet hotel gig, and has been killing it since he got back. Resort town life was fun and allowed for actual time off to do stuff. Its kind of a quality of life thing.

I was just a cook then, but me and my chefs worked our dicks off during the season, and for sure took our sweet time off in the off season. Living in NY I have zero down downtime and I am lucky if i can get two days in a row, and working out a vacation is a loving nightmare. Also hotel jobs are clutch. Benes, better salary, stability,better hours, etc. So my wife and I have seemed to make up our minds set to either Aspen or Vail.

I think this is still a ways off for sure, but it's a direction to put my head in. As i said earlier, i see a good future for me(more money better title, more restaurants) at my current company, so I am definitely going to ride that for a little while more and try and start building connections. I think the hardest part is getting back into the hotel game. It seems like a little bit more of an exclusive club after you've been out of it.

I just wanted to share with you goons. Have any of you guys worked in aspen? How is the off season? Also if any one has any advice for getting getting back into to hotels/resorts it would be much appreciated.

And if any of you guys have any questions for me on being a head chef in nyc, moving across the country, culinary journeys whatever, feel free to ask I would love to answer.

cods fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 2, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Discendo Vox posted:

Question from the biology thread: Does the ORCA smell like worse than anything you've ever imagined?

Actually, a properly functioning composter shouldn't smell much at all. That's how you know it's working properly. Dunno about the ORCA.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Naw hotels are always hiring, you can find some great positions all over the globe. It helps if you are willing to relocate to where they want. Also don't be afraid to get picked up by a company in those areas if you want to live there. Best example I can think of is we had a chef who was all about that fine dining and tiny plates poo poo, but he got fed up with the pay and went to lupe tortilla and 5 years later he's making 6 figures. There are some drat good places out there that isn't in that narrow view.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Get a sous or exec position at a place that does mostly banquet business, enjoy your upper middle class salary, and 50 hour work weeks. Also 401k, paid vacation, and cheap rates at your hotel properties.

Seriously people, work in hotels. Even when it sucks, it's better than privately owned restaurants.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
just got a job at the biggest hotel in town. it owns. so many good chefs, amazing hours, actually follows labor laws, proper overtime pay, etc etc

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Get a sous or exec position at a place that does mostly banquet business, enjoy your upper middle class salary, and 50 hour work weeks. Also 401k, paid vacation, and cheap rates at your hotel properties.

Seriously people, work in hotels. Even when it sucks, it's better than privately owned restaurants.

Hospitals are good too in my experience so far.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hospitals are good too in my experience so far.

Colleges also don't suck, if you can live with being on the academic schedule. I work 37.5 hrs/week, get spring break, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and will work here and there in the summer. Taking July off to go climbing all over. A lot of the cooks go on summer funemployment.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I must be a masochist, given how easily I say yes to doubles.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care, right?

I'm Just a Sucker With No Self-Esteem: The Restaurant Industry Thread

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Thoht posted:

:agreed:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thoht posted:

Fantastic.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thoht posted:

:perfect:

Because it's true :smith:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Thoht posted:

Dang, too real.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
I'm really hopeful about landing this gig in a small restaurant where I'll be doing 60 to 70-hour weeks on salary. Should be interesting coming from a comfy 40-hour week hotel job. It's me, I'm the industry thread.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Since I am headed the opposite direction (hopefully), I will say coming full circle has been good for me. I was making 14$hr as an intern! In Colorado at resort to 12$hr in a hotel in Portland. When I was tired of working for hotels, I quit that place and got a job at a little bitty place to make $10.50.

But from that I was able to get my first sous job, worked around, ended up blah blah blah to head chef. But now I'm ready to back to like a 55 hour weeks, a better salary/quality of life.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So we've shuffled some things around in our dining room over the past couple years, and servers seem to be getting shorter and shorter. I was thinking a convex/dome mirror could cover the rough patch on the upper wall where stuff had been previously and help our servers keep tabs on what's going on behind pillars and on the other side of the bar partition.

Is there a supplier any of y'all would recommend for one of these?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

So we've shuffled some things around in our dining room over the past couple years, and servers seem to be getting shorter and shorter. I was thinking a convex/dome mirror could cover the rough patch on the upper wall where stuff had been previously and help our servers keep tabs on what's going on behind pillars and on the other side of the bar partition.

Is there a supplier any of y'all would recommend for one of these?

United maintenance, global industrial supply, McMaster Carr, Granger. Like any place that sells warehouse/industrial stuff will have these.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I have a coworker who quit because he got passed up for supervisor. Oh gee, I wonder why.

Could it be...

A. He whines when he has to make food
B. he doesn't have a reliable way to make it to work to cover shifts for other people
C. bitches about customers in the kitchen loud enough that they can hear him
D. swears in front of and at customers
E. all of the above
F. the boss hates him and is playing favorites

Three guesses, first two don't count.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

E and F. If he pulled all that poo poo I'd hate him too.

Actually I take that back, I wouldn't get a chance to hate him because I'd fire him the first time he pulled D.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

rndmnmbr posted:

E and F. If he pulled all that poo poo I'd hate him too.

Actually I take that back, I wouldn't get a chance to hate him because I'd fire him the first time he pulled D.

Yeah, little of column E and a little of column F. I mean, the guy does his job, usually well overstocks whatever he needs to, gets fuckton of prep done... but when it comes to customer interaction, he's a double edged sword. He's that one person who knows how to interact with almost EVERYONE, but his language is a major problem.

The other problem is we're normally so short staffed we're willing to let some things like swearing go, and given this guy usually works in the middle of the night, it gets a little extra sliding.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I just got put in charge of ordering beer where I work, and I want to throw out the old list because it's two sours and a farmhouse. If we're keeping our beer list to three total, I'm thinking a hoppy pale ale, some sort of light wheaty thing, and a saison or farmhouse. Sound about right?

But like, two sours and a farmhouse no wonder we don't sell any beer.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I like sours though.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.
Two short stories about the kind of chucklefucks I work with.

1. Shift manager showed up 20 minutes late to open the place while I froze my rear end off outside . Turns out he woke up too drunk to pass his court-ordered ignition breathalyzer and got a ride from his mom.
2. Different shift manager at a different location showed up 40 minutes late to open. He said "Sorry I'm late. Had a crazy night." I asked, "what went down?" He said, "both of 'em".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I like sours though.

Sours are great but they don't move for poo poo because good sours are hard to find. Most of the time they taste like piss vinegar. It's the gose problem, a good gose is sublime but you get asshats that just dump a ton of salt into there and now you have a lovely saltbeer.

That's a pretty terrible spread though. Three taps is really hard to cover all your bases with, but going into spring I'd do a hoppy handle (an IPA, a pale, maybe an IRA), a blonde/lager/pils handle, and keep the third a wildcard to throw a dark or saison or something on.

• Locked thread