Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

spider wisdom posted:

Recently got my first rune! I can kite spiders with the best of them. :toot:

I'm having trouble poking into the other branches with no elemental/corr resistance though. I've made it to Vaults 2 and haven't found much for resistance aside from a basic ring here and there. Acid blobs quickly push my poo poo in, and Hydras in the swamp do the same w/o Brothers in Arms. What should I do?

I guess I don't 100% need the stealth ring right now and some r is better than none.

Normally you would just carry a flaming weapon around for the hydras, but you have a fragile one equipped, so...

Damage wands (lightning, iceblast, acid, scattershot, etc.) work very well against hydras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gah, remember not to get cocky after two runes.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

spider wisdom posted:

I'm having trouble poking into the other branches with no elemental/corr resistance though. I've made it to Vaults 2 and haven't found much for resistance aside from a basic ring here and there. Acid blobs quickly push my poo poo in, and Hydras in the swamp do the same w/o Brothers in Arms. What should I do?

With 46 AC and your big axe you should be able to just tab hydrae, you can definitely berserk against them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

dpeg posted:

I threw some bones, and they prophesied a thoroughly worn out fart.wav.

If SS13 is any indication, it would be a close race between that and despairing_honk.wav

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

rchandra posted:

With 46 AC and your big axe you should be able to just tab hydrae, you can definitely berserk against them.

Don't listen to this man! Many an overconfident maniac has gotten lazy and decided to tank hydras only to find himself weeping at YASD.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, the more heads you cut off the more the hydra heals the more it can attack at the same time. Just get some javelins or wands and kill it from range.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Config question time: What the hell do these two options do, aside from nothing?
pre:
clear_messages = true
show_more = false
I'm trying to make combat more streamlined, so I don't have to press spacebar three times a turn in some scenarios, but I've had no luck getting these to work like I expect them to do based off the manual. I've got plenty of other tweaks working, no # at the front of the line...

Edit: Dumb me. "This option has no effect if clear_messages is set"

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 10, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
show_more = false works for me. I also have

runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over.
message_colour ^= mute:Your.*(says|shouts|cheers)
default_manual_training = true
autofight_stop = 60
force_more_message += wielding.*of distortion
force_more_message += of distortion.*comes? into view
force_more_message += hits you.*distortion

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

IronicDongz posted:

show_more = false works for me. I also have

runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over.
message_colour ^= mute:Your.*(says|shouts|cheers)
default_manual_training = true
autofight_stop = 60
force_more_message += wielding.*of distortion
force_more_message += of distortion.*comes? into view
force_more_message += hits you.*distortion

how can you live with autofight_stop 60 god drat. i have mine at autofight_stop 0 baby TAB TAB TAB TAB TAB

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Carcer posted:

Yeah, the more heads you cut off the more the hydra heals the more it can attack at the same time. Just get some javelins or wands and kill it from range.

or just fling the javelins/blast the wands directly in its face if range isn't an option. or carry around the best flail you've found so far and take advantage of that cross-training

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I've been playing that old crawl I found, .1.7. It doesn't even HAVE tabbing. I had to make a lot of macros to duplicate features that exist now. Lair has 10 floors. The dungeon in general just goes on forever, I forgot how much everything was trimmed back. I'm hoping to win a 3 rune with someone for the fun of it, but it's actually incredibly hard. But by hard I mean tedious. A lot of it is trying to remember how to do things the convoluted way.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

blackflare posted:

I've been playing that old crawl I found, .1.7. It doesn't even HAVE tabbing.
Who needs tabbing when you can have your Mountain Dwarf -- heck, even a Hill Dwarf! -- victory dance the Traps & Doors skill to 27!!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone else feel like they're not getting enough return out of the Evocations skill? Maybe it's just because I tend to build all rounders, but I always feel like any experience i put in Evocation is wasted compared to putting it in Stealth/Invocations/Magic. Wands do their job up through Lair without any experience, and after that I rarely use the things, outside of Digging or the new Clouds.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I sometimes place a few points in wands if I'm a stabber character, but anything beyond level 9ish tends to be pointless even then, yeah.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

fool_of_sound posted:

Does anyone else feel like they're not getting enough return out of the Evocations skill? Maybe it's just because I tend to build all rounders, but I always feel like any experience i put in Evocation is wasted compared to putting it in Stealth/Invocations/Magic. Wands do their job up through Lair without any experience, and after that I rarely use the things, outside of Digging or the new Clouds.

With as much stuff as has been removed, this doesn't surprise me that much.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

It depends a lot on your other skills. I've gone games without evocations (and not just the Nemelex one) without missing them. Other times, wands have been 100% essential to making it through Zot and the Elven Halls alive. And this isn't even counting heal wounds/teleport/haste wands, before you ask. I believe they buffed the effect of evo on wands but I can't pull up my usual commits page to check.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

m - the amulet of Ynuast {Reflect Slay+3 SH+3}

For me? On my TrMo on D:5? Gosh thank you.
I'm gonna roll my boy NEMELEX so this is all going down the drain anyway

edit: oh snap Jivya templeeeee

tote up a bags fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 11, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

You feel extremely strange.
You feel robust. You feel resistant to poisons.
Molten scales grow over part of your body.
You begin to heal more quickly.

I'm going to die so horribly.

e: two-headed ogre, shafted myself, two-headed ogre

vOv fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 11, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

fool_of_sound posted:

Since the removal of Rods, yeah

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

tote up a bags posted:

m - the amulet of Ynuast {Reflect Slay+3 SH+3}

For me? On my TrMo on D:5? Gosh thank you.
I'm gonna roll my boy NEMELEX so this is all going down the drain anyway

edit: oh snap Jivya templeeeee

I had 6 str when i died

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm at the point where I'll get it up to 10 or so, so that clouds/gales/beastbox/spidersack are semi-useful, and just leave it there.

I get that evo was a OP but I feel like they've gone a bit too far in the opposite direction. Like, I can't remember the last time I've used a lamp of fire, since the flame cloud effect isn't super-useful past earlygame. The damage wands are nice but rarely fight-deciding, etc.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 11, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

maybe i'm misremembering things wildly, but, i don't think a lot of roguelikes have a skill tied directly to using items better, either. it's an idle thought but maybe crawl is moving towards a point where evocation as a skill isn't really needed much anymore? especially since wands are in a weird place right now and things like rods/whatever don't exist anymore. the miscellaneous evocation items are also of dubious usefulness whether or not someone has dumped a lot of points into the relevant skill

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Re: hitting hydras with non-flaming weapons; Yes, a +10 battleaxe and 40+ AC will chop hydras plenty fast. I think they only heal 1d8 per head regrown. Also berserk gives 1d5 extra damage, so....

(protip: if trogolyte w/o flaming weapons, when you first find hydras, you can drop a book and use divine book burning to kill them while tanking, a plate mail should be enough to keep you have 2/3hp as you do this)

edit: grammar

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 11, 2017

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

tote up a bags posted:

I had 6 str when i died

Jivya is a trap

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Haifisch posted:

I get that evo was a OP but I feel like they've gone a bit too far in the opposite direction. Like, I can't remember the last time I've used a lamp of fire, since the flame cloud effect isn't super-useful past earlygame. The damage wands are nice but rarely fight-deciding, etc.
Flame clouds are absolutely very useful past earlygame, sack of spiders/box of beasts are real good, and hex wands are powerful basically every game.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I remember there was double-edged mutation talk a while back. Would making every mutation double edged be a good mutation reform? For a bunch of the mutations you can do that by just pairing things that go naturally together. Thin skeleton + frail, teleportitis + blink, deformed + scales, rotting + negative energy resistance.

For extended I'd like to see the Godly Realms as an alternative to hell or pan. There would be a set level for every God that's all about their theme with a rune at the end, each run has 4/5 randomly selected from the pool.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

IronicDongz posted:

Flame clouds are absolutely very useful past earlygame, sack of spiders/box of beasts are real good, and hex wands are powerful basically every game.

IMO the problem right now is that only sack of spiders/box of beasts make heavy investment in evocations worth it, and both of those vary a lot in availability; sometimes you'll have 12 sack of spiders other times 2 (same with boxes). Wand of clouds has potential for late game, too (basically negative + acid cloud spam) but the LOS requirement makes it so you must have a strong set of secondary skills so you can tank incoming attacks somehow. Anything past mid-10's for every other device is better spent elsewhere.

Agreed with hex wands though, specially when success chance is displayed.

I'm also assuming that design-wise maxing out evocations is desirable for as much wands/devices as possible but if that's not the case then carry on. :shobon:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

IronicDongz posted:

I'll admit I've never invested hard into evocations except maybe 3-4 times because my characters are always spread out far too thin over multiple spell schools to pick up something else. So I can't comment on the usefulness of evocations in general. As someone who uses it rarely, it feels underwhelming when I have made heavy investment in it.

But regarding flame clouds, my feeling is that if you're not creating damage clouds in a predictable pattern on mass -- meaning freezing cloud and the wand of clouds -- then flame clouds are indeed useful, but only if you play "optimally", that is you play the way top level tavern posters do when they go for win rate, which is indeed the safest way to play the game, but also excruciating for those of us who don't measure our ego by DCSS win rates.

Examples of "optimal" play include luring monsters back to staircases even in minimal threat situations and taking your armor off to cast deflect missiles. Many other examples come readily to mind. Using flame clouds through conjure flame or trog book burning after lair, to me at least, solidly falls into one of the tedious but optimal tactics that is just not worth it in terms of enjoying the game. Yes, flame clouds deal very solid damage over time, especially against enemies with low AC, but actually bothering to use them effectively doesn't seem to meet the proper ratio of key presses to kill dudes to feel worth it past lair.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been using conjure flame + lesser beckoning well into the late game. Flame clouds are good, but the lamp tends to miss in a lot of cases.

Evocations has been weakened a lot lately, but it sounds like you don't like it because you're trying it on spellcasters. Try it on a melee fighter as your ranged option.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Whenever I'm doing a full rune run I always put 12 points into evocations to polymorph the Royal Jelly cause gently caress fighting that guy.

Mind you I haven't played seriously for over a year so for all I know that strat doesn't even work anymore.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Maxmaps posted:

Whenever I'm doing a full rune run I always put 12 points into evocations to polymorph the Royal Jelly cause gently caress fighting that guy.

Mind you I haven't played seriously for over a year so for all I know that strat doesn't even work anymore.

Nowadays it basically acts like you hit it for its entire HP, if I remember.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I did a 15-rune spellcaster the other day and almost maxed evocations because I was staring into a crystal ball every five turns. Also because when I was meleeing it was with a staff of the earth.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Play report: Wu Jian Council Naga (warper) much better than expected. Admittedly, I that was a rather low bar to hurdle. There's no super secret benefit that comes up, but lunges, whirlwinds, and above all Serpent's Lash go a huge way to mitigating the feeling of helpnessess/always arriving last a melee naga can run into.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
just 15-runed Ba of Wu Jian. currently the only person with the winning title of 'Sifu', had to convert to Zin to train invo before finishing to get it.

definitely got real fuckin sick of pressing adadadadadadadad in front of enemies to wiggle around in front of them and hit them for slow chance. removing damage from whirlwind but keeping slow seems stupid because slow is still really powerful, I feel pretty strongly that whirlwind should just be a normal attack(with normal damage) and no slow. that way you would only use it when you would already want to reposition for another reason, instead of incentivizing you to swap back and forth between two different keys repeatedly to do slow melee with no downside basically every time you are in combat.
wall jump also needs to be limited, the idea about needing an enemy nearby to vault over is good.
do both those things and the god will be more fun to play and won't even need to be restricted to light armor.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Trip report: I spent most of today on a deep elf fire elementalist in my incredibly old .1.7 crawl.

Holy poo poo. The tedium I mentioned earlier only scratched the surface. It just keeps going on and on. It took me most of the day (with breaks and stuff) to get 3 runes, and head towards zot. Of course the dungeon has 27 floors so thats a fun trip.

Oh and then I was eating a ration and enemies came from off screen and all nuked me to death before I even had control. Because rations take a bunch of turns to eat or something idk.

gently caress Old Crawl.

It's kinda neat for the nostalgia to see all the old tiles though. And to remind yourself what slowly changed over time, where it started. I was surprised to find the evocables like the fan and the fire flask thing. Oh and the hive branch, hive is.... :v:

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

blackflare posted:

Trip report: I spent most of today on a deep elf fire elementalist in my incredibly old .1.7 crawl.
Did you properly abuse full-range Sticky Flame? And did you manage to sneak in an Alter Self session? Ah, the memories... :)

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Sticky flame is a beautiful thing. Didn't find alter self, did abuse closing doors though. open, close, open, close, open, close

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've been using conjure flame + lesser beckoning well into the late game. Flame clouds are good, but the lamp tends to miss in a lot of cases.

Evocations has been weakened a lot lately, but it sounds like you don't like it because you're trying it on spellcasters. Try it on a melee fighter as your ranged option.

My point was that I almost never try it because I mostly play casters or hybrids, and ones that pick up loads of different spells, too. Evo is very good for casters past three runes, but since I never bother with extended anymore, I never bother with evo. But I have done a few fighter types that took it. Both of my trog wins (DEBe and KoAs) had 20+ in the skill. I think because I rarely take it I don't use it properly, though.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Why has darkgrey turned blue in .20 and how do I turn it back

colour.blue = darkgrey does nothing.

edit: also my frogger is powerful.

edit edit: actually, colour.blue = darkgrey does do something, it screws up my sleep brands. But it doesn't do the thing that I wanted it to do, I mean.

Mu. fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008

Mu. posted:

Why has darkgrey turned blue in .20 and how do I turn it back
bold_brightens_foreground = true

The change came about because some terminals do not show darkgrey at all, so blue is a better default. However, *if* your terminal does darkgrey, then the change is bad.

In my opinion, we should mention the proper invocation somewhere in the change notes. I didn't find it on my own, and "bold_brightens_foreground" is not self-explaining.

• Locked thread