Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm going to be playing at a GPT tomorrow. I have the drifts not for Chalice (no one plays those near me) but for Leyline of Sanctity, which several people here do use. An Echoing Truth would stop that for a turn but if you put it on top you'll be milling it away with the Orb when they untap.

Yeah but I feel dirty putting cards back on their library, even if I can mill them away immediately after. I've had a couple games in the past where I've lost to opponents with 0-3 cards in their library. I dunno, maybe Night is better for countering wide strategies, I worry about a deck like Tokens which plays a bunch of "creatures" but Crypt Incursion doesn't work. Also I don't think I've ever seen Leyline here but there's a couple people with Chalice.

Good luck tomorrow, I would definitely read a trip report if you feel like writing one. Make sure people are honest about Orb triggers because I had to remind a couple guys not to rush through their untap steps! Also you can Ghost Quarter yourself for extra Hedron Crab triggers in a pinch (which is almost how I had to win R2G2 if not for the Glimpse topdeck).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mehall posted:

Just play Breakdast Burrito aka Oops All Spells.

It's great against anything without Force of Will, and should be reasonable against the Chalice decks when on the play.

The obvious answer is to play Doomsday .

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Yeah but I feel dirty putting cards back on their library, even if I can mill them away immediately after. I've had a couple games in the past where I've lost to opponents with 0-3 cards in their library. I dunno, maybe Night is better for countering wide strategies, I worry about a deck like Tokens which plays a bunch of "creatures" but Crypt Incursion doesn't work. Also I don't think I've ever seen Leyline here but there's a couple people with Chalice.

Good luck tomorrow, I would definitely read a trip report if you feel like writing one. Make sure people are honest about Orb triggers because I had to remind a couple guys not to rush through their untap steps! Also you can Ghost Quarter yourself for extra Hedron Crab triggers in a pinch (which is almost how I had to win R2G2 if not for the Glimpse topdeck).

OK, here is the write-up. Only 8 people showed up (which is pretty good for a Sunday turnout, with another store having another Modern GPT on Saturday.) I went 2-1, only losing the final round.

My deck list:
Deck: Dimir Mill

//Lands
2 Watery Grave
1 Bloodstained Mire
3 Swamp
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Darkslick Shores
1 Sunken Hollow
1 Shelldock Isle
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
3 Island
4 Polluted Delta
4 Ghost Quarter

//Mill
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Hedron Crab
2 Manic Scribe
3 Mesmeric Orb
3 Mind Funeral
4 Archive Trap
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

//Other
2 Snapcaster Mage
3 Fatal Push
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond
3 Crypt Incursion

//Sideboard
2 Breaking // Entering
2 Dispel
2 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Lost Legacy
2 Set Adrift
1 Surgical Extraction
2 Yahenni's Expertise

Display deck statistics

Round 1 vs 4C Gifts
I had played this person before. They use Gifts to bring back Elesh Norn and backing it up with Lingering Souls, countermagic, and Abrupt Decay. I go T1 Crab, T2 Glimpse to mill the Norn and Surgical it out. It goes pretty quickly for me after that when I can surgical out the Souls a few turns later.

Out: Crypt, Pushes, Manic Scribe In: Cage, Leyline, Set Adrift, Lost Legacy (I know he plays Leylines)

G2 is going pretty well until he lands a Batterskull and I have no way to kill it and no way to gain life. I can see that the Norn has been taken out and replaced with Iona. I draw several of my Leylines with no way to cast them. I get them down to around 10 cards before they get me. G3 is going very well but I begin to run out of steam. He only has around 15 cards left when he goes for a Gifts hoping to bring back Iona, and I Shelldock Isle in a Leyline so it fizzles :krad:

Round 2 vs. Ad Nauseam
Game 1 goes very well. I quickly mill away their Lightning Storm and I surgical out Angel's Grace. With less than 20 cards left they Spoils of the Vault looking for Lab Maniac, and find it with 2 cards left in their library. They cast it, and I end step Push it. They Pact, but then on my turn I Snap back the Push and they concede.

Out: Push, Scribe, Crypt Incursion In: Leylines, Set Adrift, Surgical, Lost Legacy, Dispel

Game 2 they keep a no lander but 2 Leylines on the battlefield. I never get any of mine to show up besides the first match. I land an Orb but they only have 1 land, and continue to play Lotus Blooms, not milling anything. I have 1 Ashiok on the battlefield, one in my hand that can't do anything. I start milling myself with some crabs looking for action, but eventually they find their combo with around 30 cards left, enough to kill me with the storm. Taking out the Pushes was the right move, because after Surgicaling a discarded Slight of Hand, I saw they took out the Lab Maniac. Game he doesn't have a Leyline to start, and had mulled to 6 and looked sad. I keep a hand with a Crab, glimpse, two Surgicals, and 3 lands. I get the Ad Nauseum out turn 2, the Angel's Graces next turn, and once I mill the Lab Maniac he concedes.

Round 3 vs...Titan Breach :cry:
Very lame. I keep a really good hand while they begin ramping. I Ghost Quarter their Valakut early on so they can't get me that way. I get through about 3/4th of the library before the Emmy shows up and I had tapped out to play Ashiok the previous turn, hoping to exile it that way. He didn't really draw any threats but I had to get that thing out of the deck. Eventually he gets a Prime Time out and he is failing to find lands to keep more cards in his deck. Emmy shows up and I crypt incursion, gaining around 20 life which keeps me alive long enough to win.

Out: Scribe, Mind Funeral (not very economical with a high land count deck) Push In: Yahenni, Breaking, Lost Legacy, Surgical
Game 2 I get rid of the Emmy early with a Trap/Surgical so I think I'm in the clear. I begin to stall out and only get them down around to 15 cards before a Obstinate Baloth and Pia and Kiran get me. Game 3 is a real tough one. I keep a hand of 2 land, Crab, Sbapcaster, Glimpse, 2 Surgical. I play Crab turn 1, Glimpse T2. Then he plays Chalice of the Void for 1. I surgical out Titan and Baloth, the only things in the GY besides lands and lightning bolt in response before they become dead (I didn't bring in the set adrifts.) So I am basically down to a few ways to win: Hope they draw Emrakul with no way to Breach it, Expertise into Breaking/Entering and hit it that way, or Crypt Incursion and hope I gain enough life to mill them out twice.

I am at 6 life with a Breaking/Entering, Snapcaster, and Archive Trap in my hand, and no other permanents besides land. They have no Valakuts, but a Pia and Kiran, Sakura Tribe Elder, and Simian Spirit Guide on the battlefield. I have another Trap in the yard and Ghost Quarters to use. They go in for the attack, I flash in Snapcaster, targeting Trap. I Quarter them and search. I Trap them twice, so they have no more library. But they use their mana to sacrifice the Thopter, shooting down the Snapcaster before blocks, giving them exactly 6 damage going through. The Emrakul was in their hand.

If I were to change something, I would play a Steam Vents just in case for Breaking/Entering, but otherwise the deck played really well.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 12, 2017

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The obvious answer is to play Doomsday .

I mean yes, but Doomsday is difficult.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

OK, here is the write-up. Only 8 people showed up (which is pretty good for a Sunday turnout, with another store having another Modern GPT on Saturday.) I went 2-1, only losing the final round.

My deck list:
Deck: Dimir Mill

Cool, thanks. Sucks about that final match, I think Valakut decks are an OK matchup if they aren't running Emrakul. The Expertise/Entering trick is cute but at two copies of each post-board I don't think it's consistent enough to rely on in the matchup. If you found the Path/Trap combo too tough to hit at three or four copies of each, I don't see how the Expertise trick is worth running. I'd almost say run another Shelldock and hope you stick a Breaking//Entering under one in time to use it. Ravenous Trap might be a good SB card if you're worried about Emrakul as well, I was running it for a while.

How do you like Scribe and Ashiok? I have Scribes but haven't tried them yet (and I see you boarded them out all the time :v: Maybe run two Breaking//Entering main instead?) but Ashiok is a card people have asked me about and I'm not sure if I like it. Exiling vs milling is a bummer when Crypt Incursion and Surgical are good defensive cards that need full graveyards to reach their full potential. At the same time, getting to steal a good creature from your opponent seems sweet. Maybe I should put it in my fun-of slot for next time.

GoutPatrol posted:

I am at 6 life with a Breaking/Entering, Snapcaster, and Archive Trap in my hand, and no other permanents besides land. They have no Valakuts, but a Pia and Kiran, Sakura Tribe Elder, and Simian Spirit Guide on the battlefield. I have another Trap in the yard and Ghost Quarters to use. They go in for the attack, I flash in Snapcaster, targeting Trap. I Quarter them and search. I Trap them twice, so they have no more library. But they use their mana to sacrifice the Thopter, shooting down the Snapcaster before blocks, giving them exactly 6 damage going through. The Emrakul was in their hand.

I missed something, did you cast the Trap in your graveyard for its actual cost? I'm pretty sure you can't use Snapcaster to get a free Archive Trap that way, or at least its Gatherer ruling on alternate costs tells me this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Scribes were doing work. I would keep them in against creature decks, of which I played really none. Against decks like Elves/Merfolk/Fairies I would bring in the Breaking/Expertise and probably take out the traps because they don't do alot of searching unless I force them to. Ashiok was really good as well against these decks for the most part because they had very few ways to get rid of him, or he bought you a couple turns of attacks. I was very afraid of Emrakul while playing it never really was a problem during the games. Valakut would have been much scarier but running that many Ghost Quarters kept it in check. My opponent afterward said he would have played GR Scapeshift that day (an excellent matchup) but he had lent out his copies. If I was playing against Tron and Scapeshift all day I would be doing very well. I guess that is what I love about my store: no one is really playing all the best decks.

The 8 decks yesterday were:
Merfolk
Abzan
Titan Breach
4C Gifts
Mill
Izzet Burn
Fairies
Ad Nauseam

I just happened to only play the less creature-heavy decks that day, which made it easier for me to win.

And I guess you were right about the Snapcaster. If I couldn't trap twice then I would have won with the Breaking on my turn, but the hardest part was damage. I could get another Shelldock Isle and cut more basics but I really liked how the mana felt. There was a reason I cut Breaking/Entering from the list in the first place: Orb is better. Double Orbs are a house. Late-game you get people refusing to cast cards because it will hit them for 10-15 cards.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 13, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
What does izzet burn look like? Snappy obviously but beyond that? Did he sneak in some treasure cruises?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

The Scribes were doing work. I would keep them in against creature decks, of which I played really none. Against decks like Elves/Merfolk/Fairies I would bring in the Breaking/Expertise and probably take out the traps because they don't do alot of searching unless I force them to. Ashiok was really good as well against these decks for the most part because they had very few ways to get rid of him, or he bought you a couple turns of attacks. I was very afraid of Emrakul while playing it never really was a problem during the games. Valakut would have been much scarier but running that many Ghost Quarters kept it in check. My opponent afterward said he would have played GR Scapeshift that day (an excellent matchup) but he had lent out his copies. If I was playing against Tron and Scapeshift all day I would be doing very well. I guess that is what I love about my store: no one is really playing all the best decks.

The 8 decks yesterday were:
Merfolk
Abzan
Titan Breach
4C Gifts
Mill
Izzet Burn
Fairies
Ad Nauseam

I just happened to only play the less creature-heavy decks that day, which made it easier for me to win.

And I guess you were right about the Snapcaster. If I couldn't trap twice then I would have won with the Breaking on my turn, but the hardest part was damage. I could get another Shelldock Isle and cut more basics but I really liked how the mana felt. There was a reason I cut Breaking/Entering from the list in the first place: Orb is better. Double Orbs are a house. Late-game you get people refusing to cast cards because it will hit them for 10-15 cards.

Not sure I follow the logic on Ashiok being tough to remove for tribal decks, seems easy enough to attack into even though they might be better served swinging at you instead. Or do you mean "no PW removal spells"?

My store is the same way- pretty good variety of decks even if they all trend toward small or mid-size aggro (if I'm not running RG Breach the biggest creature is a Stormbreath Dragon if one of the Skred players show up). I don't think there was a creature here on Friday that Push couldn't kill.

Yeah Orb is a house, I can't believe I used to only run two especially since it's best against the wide aggro decks that usually beat this archetype. Profane Memento+Orb (especially with multiples) is a hilarious pseudo-lock against aggro decks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pontius Pilate posted:

What does izzet burn look like? Snappy obviously but beyond that? Did he sneak in some treasure cruises?

It took a big hit since Probe was banned, but imagine most of the red parts of burn, but with Young Pyro, Stormchaser Mage, Serum Visions, and Vapor Snag. Sometimes Delver is there, sometimes not. I would call it Burn more than a Delver deck because it runs 4x Lava Spike and Rift Bolt.

I would say Ashiok is a much better card in mill because it does require alot of board presence already by turn 3 to die or they need to waste multiple cards to try and kill it. Sometimes it is just a fog, but if it keeps living acts in the same way as a pinger that gets stronger in the late game.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
No bans means lets play Legacy instead of the dead format, standard: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813309

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

black potus posted:

No bans means lets play Legacy instead of the dead format, standard: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813309

So I joined this thing. Anybody have any advice for a Legacy newbie coming in from Modern? I've played a bit with proxied decks against friends in the past so I have a passing understanding of most of the more popular decks.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

So I joined this thing. Anybody have any advice for a Legacy newbie coming in from Modern? I've played a bit with proxied decks against friends in the past so I have a passing understanding of most of the more popular decks.

as always, doomsday

non-comedy answer: Shardless BUG is basically blue jund and one of the easier decks to play since all of your cards powerful and efficient. i mean the problem with legacy is that you just need to jam games of it and get experience.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Hop on #mtgoon and you can probably at least find me to practice legacy with on xmage if you want to get reps in outside of the actual tourney.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

as always, doomsday

non-comedy answer: Shardless BUG is basically blue jund and one of the easier decks to play since all of your cards powerful and efficient. i mean the problem with legacy is that you just need to jam games of it and get experience.
Doomsday is not a joke man, its what I'll be playing. I need to check and see if there is any new tech for it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Went 3-1 at modern with esper walkers. I dunno if the deck is good enough to have legs but it's super fun to play. Lost to eldrazi tron because they kept ripping reality smashers off the top even after I thoughtseize or kill the first 2. Beat 2 infect variants and mardu midrange. Went 3-1 last week too, beating affinity, grixis control, and something else I forgot, losing to gw tron.

Been playing with 24 lands with 4 serum visions but still get stuck on 3 sometimes, maybe should go up to 25 lands since I want to hit 4/5 lands pretty consistently. Most games it isn't a problem though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What list did you run? I've seen a few different types out there, I'm kind of interested since I never play any decks with PWs.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Yeah I'd like to see the list.

I've been rocking sun and Moon lately to insane success. It holds up really well in the current meta

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Esper Walkers:

4 Serum Vision
4 Lingering Souls
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
1 Collective Brutality
1 Supreme Verdict

3 Path to Exile
3 Fatal Push
2 Esper Charm
1 Blessed Alliance

3 Snapcaster Mage
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

2 Narset Transcendant
2 Gideon Jura
2 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
1 Marsh Flats
2 Shambling Vent
2 Creeping Tar Pit
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Water Grave
1 Godless Shrine
1 Darkslick Shores
1 Concealed Courtyard
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
2 Plains
1 Swamp

SB:

1 Disenchant
1 Geist of St. Traft
1 Wrath of God
1 Supreme Verdict
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Vendilion Clique
2 Lost Legacy
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Countersquall
2 Runed Halo

Overall the deck is really flexible in terms of what you want to play. If you don't like the 7 walkers I listed, pick 7 of your own. I've seen some lists online with 4 LotV, some with none. 2 Narset seems good and Gideon has been great almost every game so I'm happy with 2 there. The Sorin is a flex spot I have been testing but in 8 rounds I've never actually gotten to play him. The 2 Last Hope have been AMAZING and the only time I take them out is against tron decks. I've seen is suggested elsewhere to use Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, which may well just be better than Sorin, I just happen to be a big fan of Sorin's ultimate and his ability to stabilize your life total combined with lingering souls. Ultimately you want to kinda lock the game down a bit using the walkers and building to ultimates so Sorin seemed better with that theory in mind. The single blessed alliance and Collective Brutality have both been great and I wouldn't touch them, personally. Tasigur is also optional but he's been good every time I drew him. I've seen 1-3 supreme verdicts in other esper decks depending on the build but it seems like a meta call and 1 has been fine for me.

Sideboard is also flexibile. The lost legacy are actually in there because someone else is borrowing geists from me and I wanted to see how they'd work. I got to rebound legacy with narset against tron once and it felt great, I think they're pretty good if you expect a lot of tron or combo. Surgical and countersquall don't seem like they can be cut, same with clique. Haven't gotten to drop baneslayer yet. The wrath/verdict is probably flexible depending on what you expect, you can always put a second verdict in the main to free up a spot.

Deck is super fun and getting to play gideon and narset is awesome. Killing things one by one until you can drop a narset they can't deal with is awesome. I've won a couple of games by grinding out a narset ultimate and other fair decks without a maelstrom pulse in hand have a really hard time killing such high loyalty planeswalkers.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

eSporks posted:

Doomsday is not a joke man

agreed, the joke was suggesting it to a brand new legacy player

e: i'd play it except that I really want to jam some games with Walking Ballista Food Chain

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

e: i'd play it except that I really want to jam some games with Walking Ballista Food Chain

I wish to learn more about this

Do you play Trinket Mage to fetch the Ballista?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I'm trying it with and without.

So, "regular" Food Chain gets there often enough with just 2 Fierce Empath and an Emrakul, so it's not about adding wincons. Trinket mage becomes hot when you can go and get things like cage, Engineered Explosives, etc. The trouble is that it's often too slow for the matchups you want that sort of cheap artifact interaction.

e: the idea is that Walking Ballista is not a totally dead draw. Even at small numbers of counters you might be able to snag a creature or make combat bad or whatever. You're already in the business of casting Misthollow Griffins so paying four mana for a non-Jace, the Mindsculptor spell is something you can do. That's why the default isn't like, two Trinket Mages, which don't do anything game one other than get your walking ballista

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 14, 2017

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
You can run it out on 2/4 too and then if you get the combo together go off which seems like the best part to me. NO I'M WRONG. Your opponent needs to respect it even when food chain isn't on the table.

black potus fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 14, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Am I missing an interaction? I don't think Food Chain can be used to pump it

e: unless you mean opponent just has to respect it as a card on its own merits, then ya i agree

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Nope I'm just dumb. I mean they need to respect it on its own merits is true as well, but I was just rolling "putting counters onto it" into one thing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Thanks, that's pretty similar to what I had in mind outside of the walkers as you said. I kind of want to run some version of Elspeth as well but I can't decide which or if any of them even make sense. And OG Gideon's been working pretty well for you? I have a copy of BFZ Gideon in my list right now but I could see the slightly higher numbers all around and his non-attacker abilities being really good in a deck that wants to grind people out with PW value.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 15, 2017

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've played Esper walkers for a few months now, I love Gideon, AoZ but not narset so much.

Like I'd run 4 Gideon AoZ before 1 narset. She's maybe sideboard material but the matches she shines in are versus decks you already poop on with hands that have a decent amount of play so she's not great imo.

I've ulted elspeth knight-errant vs Tron and killed him from 50+ life (multiple recursive wurmcoil engines). Ugin was his only real out and he didn't find him in time.

Edit: here's my list

https://deckbox.org/sets/1606353

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 15, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I dunno, I've really liked the Narset. Could just be a meta thing but she's slammed some games shut that were otherwise neck and neck. Gideon AoZ is pretty good though and I could see running him, I've seen some lists not run OG Gids at all in favor of AoZ. I just really wanted to test these other walkers and they've worked well. I almost ran Elspeth KE over Sorin and might still. Old gideon is just so difficult for midrange decks to deal with and there's a good number of them around here.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Whats wrong with suggesting fun? I migrated from burn straight to doomsday.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
the best thing about resolving doomsday is that someone generally wins the game as a result.

not necessarily you...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

the best thing about resolving doomsday is that someone generally wins the game as a result.

not usually you...

FTFY

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I won a game vs Dragon Stompy today with Death and Taxes by flickering their Chrome Mox over and over while I had a Phyrexian Revoker naming the Mox in play. They blew up all of my plains with a 3R Sorcery I can't remember the name of and all I had was an Aether Vial on 3 with some Flickerwisps in hand. My opponent exiled like 3 or 4 cards during the lifetime of that Mox being played.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

blew up all of my plains with a 3R Sorcery I can't remember the name

Flashfires. Please see this instructional video on its use

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Flashfires. Please see this instructional video on its use

Knew exactly what this link was and cracked a huge grin. Mono Wescoe metagame...

e: can we get more of these grudge matches please??

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Dragon Stompy

Creatures:
4 Simian Spirit Guide
3 Magus of the Moon
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Sin Prodder
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
4 Thunderbreak Regent
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Instants/Sorceries:
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Molten Rain

Artifacts:
3 Mind Stone
3 Trinisphere
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of War and Peace

Lands:
22 Mountain
---------------------------------
Sideboard:
1 Dragon's Claw
2 Sulfur Elemental
3 Vexing Shusher
3 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Reforge the Soul

Been playing a version of Dragon Stompy in modern online this weekend. I haven't shelled out for chalices & think they would be very strong here, but it's still surprising how many decks fold to Blood Moon, Trinisphere, and Land Destruction in the main. Most of the threats offer an advantage to make 1-for-1s in my favor as much as possible while Simian Spirit Guides even out awkward draws alongside Mind Stone & allow for early an Trinisphere or Magus of the Moon.

This is the second version where the first one used Thopter Engineer & Smuggler's Copter alongside Pia and Goblin Rabblemaster for early aggression and filter. Besides the lack of Chalices due to budget, I think Skred could potentially fit here, but I like the versatility of Lightning Bolt for reach with a really aggressive hand (Bolts into Rabblemaster against a slower deck).

Wish I had Fiery Confluence as well, but back in reality I think the sideboard could be transformational with planeswalkers, Anger, and Ensnaring Bridge. I can speak to the strength of Dragon's Claw, Anger of the Gods, Phyrexian Revoker, and Vexing Shusher in the appropriate matches, but Sulfur Elemental & Reforge seem out of place.

myDad fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 19, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Might be worth taking a look at Skred lists for some ideas, there are a couple local Skred players here and Koth is always a pain in the rear end to deal with. KLD Chandra too, but you might be better off waiting for those to drop in price.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
More dumb cards I wish had a home in Modern:

Progenitus
Thornling
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

Progenitus
Thornling
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

Akroma is a fringe card in some flicker decks I think

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

Progenitus

free blazing shoal

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
can I get some feedback on this probably awful list I cribbed together? It's basically "Cards I own 4c gifts (with some credit to SaffronOlive for steering)". I'm not looking to make anything hyper competitive, I actually hate modern but I don't have access to paper legacy anymore so I'm just looking for a way to have some fun at FNM and resolve the occasional titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Star Man posted:

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

just like in legacy, I think the only thing stopping this from being playable in modern is Griselbrand