Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
35w ravenridge will be the the test for mobile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have the 2015 macbook with like 40 tabs open and things are fine, though I do mainly use safari.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I have the 2015 macbook with like 40 tabs open and things are fine, though I do mainly use safari.

Sure, that's not a laptop with the ultra low power <=15w TDP chips though. Even the 13" has a 28w chip, and the 15" has full 45w quads.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
They said MacBook, not MacBook Pro so Core-M

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Having 40 tabs sitting mostly idle is mainly using memory, not CPU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

What if every one of those tabs were js heavy garbage like tmz, makes you think

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The Korean way to do benchmarks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njm0MBOwFTM

Methinks Ryzen would get along well with boxing a Purifier fleet.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 9, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Dante80 posted:

Honestly a 'benchmark' that is closer to what I'm going to be doing than anything else that's come out so far

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Risky Bisquick posted:

What if every one of those tabs were js heavy garbage like tmz, makes you think

That they need an ad blocker? Yeah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“40 tabs open” is like “40 programs open”. Results could vary wildly depending on which forty.

Actually, it’s worse than that, because browser is a factor as well.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dante80 posted:

Yea though those all seem to be various version of mobile games, it is still a fun looking way to load up all the cores and show it playing everything just fine.

Man the bits of EVE talk make me want to take a look at it again. I have kept 2 accounts alive just enough to keep their skill timers rolling, but I will be like a complete noob coming back if I do.

Also I need to leave my old Corp. Great EU time but logging in and playing all alone probably hasn't helped me get the bug back.

Are Goons still fun to fly and shoot mans with?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, the oh-so-apple 12" one, and yeah that's true, but the vast majority of people will be in a similar situation, unless they have like a gazillion different netflix/hulu/facebook/w/e tabs open. Right now the biggest cpu hog is actually chrome and it's little helpers keeping one page open plus chrome remote desktop's main page as well as the moonlight base window.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, the oh-so-apple 12" one, and yeah that's true, but the vast majority of people will be in a similar situation, unless they have like a gazillion different netflix/hulu/facebook/w/e tabs open. Right now the biggest cpu hog is actually chrome and it's little helpers keeping one page open plus chrome remote desktop's main page as well as the moonlight base window.

This x1000 and also Chrome has broken hardware acceleration on AMD cards and probably others. If it weren't so functional I would ditch it for Edge which does a lot right under the hood compared to it.. with a horrid interface.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Sometimes the lottery is on your side..like this guy.

With B350 too.

http://valid.x86.fr/aqtazc

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
It's almost like week 1 is a bit too early to make sweeping statements about overclocking :v:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Junior Jr. posted:

If those 1800X benchmarks are that good on a 1080 Ti, I'm having even less hope for Vega. If they're really going to stay competitive at this point, they have to be at least on par with Pascal (especially with 1800X) and not be 10 or so frames behind.
They're going to have to compete on price with Vega. Based on some of the leaked info. so far they got a shot at 1080/Ti-ish performance so they definitely won't be cheap, nothing in that performance range is, but if they offer more affordable performance in that price range they're fine.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Arzachel posted:

It's almost like week 1 is a bit too early to make sweeping statements about overclocking :v:

People also claimed that the lack of quad channel ram was the death note of zen so who knows.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Somewhere buried in this thread is a joke about Interl being Weyland-Yutani, well actually...

https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/839883538367307777?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

It's canon Weyland-Yutani uses AMD :v:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Ryzen Canada review!

It would be nice if they would sell me a x370 motherboard that isnt the asus prime pro.
This launch...

Please let me buy a motherboard.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

Ryzen Canada review!

It would be nice if they would sell me a x370 motherboard that isnt the asus prime pro.
This launch...

Please let me buy a motherboard.

motherboards isn't an amd issue its a partner issue.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

wargames posted:

motherboards isn't an amd issue its a partner issue.

Well it depends on how you look at it since supposedly partners barely had time due to AMD handling the launch poorly.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

kirtar posted:

Well it depends on how you look at it since supposedly partners barely had time due to AMD handling the launch poorly.

Glowflo making a poo poo ton chips then charging amd stocking fee and amd rushing the launch?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Next week motherboard volume hits

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-Ryzen-and-Windows-10-Scheduler-No-Silver-Bullet

Windows scheduler appears to *not* be the culprit in the end.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40h4skxDkh4

So basically "AMD needs to work with game developers to implement optimisations," or do exactly what they said they needed to do. Who knew.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Interesting. It's even more curious now because it seems like Linux still has an advantage in some tasks (although now that I type it out, I don't know if Intel chips show similar behavior).

E: ^^^^ neat for NUMA stuff, hopefully it will be pretty easy to manage since the feature is already in Windows.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 11, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I want to see someone on PCP do a Ryzen review.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5yonzw/core_parking_and_amd/ The core parking algo might be a contributing factor here.

Also, if the Scheduler in win10 is not a factor, why are ppl seeing win7 perform better with Ryzen?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Personally, I blame Microsoft for firing their entire test division. Has Barnacules said anything about Ryzen?

Wendell's idea about presenting Ryzen as two logical sockets looks like it might have more merit than at first blush.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Personally, I blame Microsoft for firing their entire test division. Has Barnacules said anything about Ryzen?

Wendell's idea about presenting Ryzen as two logical sockets looks like it might have more merit than at first blush.

I've seen people saying that Windows should recognize Ryzen like that, which should be fine for productivity workloads, as most are NUMA aware. However, for applications that aren't NUMA aware, notably games, what will happen is that a game will only ever use Ryzen as a 4c/8t CPU.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Obsurveyor posted:

I want to see someone on PCP do a Ryzen review.

But Linus already did one

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The second and third to last episodes of Tech Talk were about Ryzen, but I don't think he's said anything outside of those. Also, I'm sad that Tech Talk is done. :(

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Regrettable posted:

The second and third to last episodes of Tech Talk were about Ryzen, but I don't think he's said anything outside of those. Also, I'm sad that Tech Talk is done. :(

The last one was about alcohol.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

GutBomb posted:

But Linus already did one

tangential, but never will I read "Linus" and not immediatly think one is talking about Linus Torvalds.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Man I got my stuff put together, and I have no idea what I'm doing on overclocking. I haven't touched this stuff in a couple years and nothing looks familiar now

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gwrtheyrn posted:

Man I got my stuff put together, and I have no idea what I'm doing on overclocking. I haven't touched this stuff in a couple years and nothing looks familiar now

Well none of the new AMD CPUs are any good for overclocking, due to already being sold very close to their potential top speeds. So if you really want to mess around with overclocking, you might want to return them.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

fishmech posted:

Well none of the new AMD CPUs are any good for overclocking, due to already being sold very close to their potential top speeds. So if you really want to mess around with overclocking, you might want to return them and buy an FX chip :dance:

e: jk do not do this

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

fishmech posted:

Well none of the new AMD CPUs are any good for overclocking, due to already being sold very close to their potential top speeds. So if you really want to mess around with overclocking, you might want to return them.

I was just going for a mild overclock anyways--most of my previous machines I've just overclocked as high as I could on stock voltages. This time I'm just seeing where I can get to on 1.35v. I'm at 3.9 right now and might just stop there because that's around where these things hit a wall

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That's where almost all of them hit a wall unless you win the silicon lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's where almost all of them hit a wall unless you win the silicon lottery.

I've never been much of a fiddler anyways, I just want the easy overclock even if it's pretty small. I am going to have to play a little more with the memory since it's only at 2166, but I think I'm done pushing the cpu higher

Edit: won't post with 2400 or higher, looks like I'm stuck with 2166

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 12, 2017

• Locked thread