Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Spock, I'm sure this is all really fascinating and all, but we seriously are about to crash into the moon so if you could just cut to the chase...

I like the included tidbit that the Enterprise is not built to land. It just has to stay up in space forever. All the Trek I've watched all my life and I never really thought about that. Even though it seems like they crash it in every other movie, so clearly safe landings aren't its strong suit.

They're all built in space to stay in space. Gravity wells are for the filth.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Pluggers: The only people on the planet who use white-out, apparently.

Meanwhile the typewriter is completely ignored, because of course they're using one!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Star Trek
Condition red. :) I imagine some bureaucrat at 80's Star Fleet decided that "red alert" sounded too scary and would stress people out. (Yes, I know it's still 1979. For like one more page.)
There's actually an episode of Star Trek Enterprise with a subplot of the tactical officer working out the equivalent of red alert but the captain wanted something which sounded less hostile. They settled for tactical alert if memory serves. It was the episode when the ship got blasted by strange autism radiation from a bi/triple star system that turned all humans into super spergs.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Julet Esqu posted:

I like the included tidbit that the Enterprise is not built to land. It just has to stay up in space forever. All the Trek I've watched all my life and I never really thought about that. Even though it seems like they crash it in every other movie, so clearly safe landings aren't its strong suit.

I believe Voyager is the only one we've seen with landing capabilities (or at least I remember at least one episode where it landed? It's been a long time).

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

:goonsay: Technically alert is a constant state having conditions and what is frequently referred to as "Red Alert" is actually "Alert Condition: Red."

Actually I think consistently calling it "Red Alert" is more of a TNG and onwards thing, but then that's my blanket assumption about any Trek protocol since TOS wasn't nearly as codified.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

:golfclap:

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Green Intern posted:

Why does Prince Adam even need to keep up the whole secret identity schtick? Skeletor wants the Eternian royal family dead already.

Ghostlight posted:

It's a narrative device the tv show uses to lower costs by enabling them to fill multiple minutes per episode with a generic transformation scene to protect his loved ones, as usual. The key thing is that as a vehicle to sell toys the writers of He-Man didn't bother to have internal consistency Skeletor's goal has always been to assault Castle Greyskull and the Sorceress rather than the Royal Family - the episodes where he fucks with them happen because the writer for that episode assumes his "take over Eternia" goal is to assume kingship rather than ultimate magical power by breaching Greyskull fairly rarely.

I'm really interested to see how these go - off to a promising start with multiple Two Bad insults without a repeat!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Spock, I'm sure this is all really fascinating and all, but we seriously are about to crash into the moon so if you could just cut to the chase...]

A radio modem interface! Truly, the 23rd Century is a world of technological wonders. Why, I bet that radio modem interface is at least 800 baud!

NRVNQSR posted:

I've finally started trying to read these, and... whose side are we meant to be on here, exactly? Because the prosecution really isn't coming across as the good guys.

I have a feeling that Alley's attempt at overthrowing King Guzzle is going to backfire on him.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

It wouldn't be a McEldowney strip without someone playing with their organ in public.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Family's loving nuts.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

'Cars only drive at one speed, right? OK great.'

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Darthemed posted:

'Cars only drive at one speed, right? OK great.'

You're worried that Ripley's didn't take traffic into consideration? Maybe their estimate is for the afternoon when most hypothetical vertical flying space cars are traveling in the other direction.

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009
"Outer space is about 60 miles above the Earth's surface."

"Some fruit floats while others sink."

Having an off day, Ripley?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

you mean mitch hedberg lied to us about the buoyancy of citrus?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (March, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (June, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (June, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (May, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (November, 1940)

Tweedy (January, 1956, click for big)

Archie (November, 1955, click for big)

Jaf (1970)

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

Andy Capp (March, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (April, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (February, 2006, click for big)

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Slammy posted:

Andy Capp (March, 1971, click for big)

Alright, I have been reading this for some time. This guy has no redeeming values and I'm not entirely sure why this was so popular.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

imgur.com/WAW70T1h.gif[/timg][/url]

Dick Tracy (February, 2006, click for big)

hahahah what the gently caress is even happening

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Crime went up slightly this week!"

"I know how to fix this! This woman I randomly stumbled upon has to be doing something illlegal!"

I still can't get over how ridiculous MISTRESS OF DEATH is as a name. It's like something you'd find in a Chick Tract.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Synthbuttrange posted:

FORGET THE RULES!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Slammy posted:

Doings of the Duffs. (June, 1918, click for big)

Really curious about the rest of the article under the comic.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Darthemed posted:

Really curious about the rest of the article under the comic.

Done. Click to enlarge.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
* Watches Rick and Morty*

CommaToes posted:

Alright, I have been reading this for some time. This guy has no redeeming values and I'm not entirely sure why this was so popular.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Slammy posted:

Done. Click to enlarge.

Above and beyond the call of comics. Thank you, Slammy!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I loving hate the way people skate around on one foot in Andy Capp

that's not what walking looks like for gently caress sake

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Foreshadowing

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Haha. Shut her right the gently caress down.

quote:

The Phantom

And what an adventure it was! Stamps! Riveting!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Selachian posted:

I have a feeling that Alley's attempt at overthrowing King Guzzle is going to backfire on him.

To be fair, the whole king deal wasn't Oop's idea, but he has an ego and he ain't very bright.

I love Alley Oop and hope it sticks around.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Jan. 14, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Jan. 14, 1985)

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CommaToes posted:

He's a bloke. That's it.

If comics needed redeeming value this would be a sparse thread.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shai-Hulud posted:

Haha. Shut her right the gently caress down.

And what an adventure it was! Stamps! Riveting!

Nah, the part where the Phantom kidnapped an innocent man with the help of half a dozen pygmies, rode around in the guy's limo and then hosed him up with jungle LSD and destroyed his mind was legit awesome.

100% serious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like this.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

...and the pitch! posted:

He's a bloke. That's it.

If comics needed redeeming value this would be a sparse thread.

Yeah, I guess. There have been a bunch of comics where the punchline is "Time to beat my wife" and that doesn't sit well with me.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CommaToes posted:

Yeah, I guess. There have been a bunch of comics where the punchline is "Time to beat my wife" and that doesn't sit well with me.

I agree.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Andy Capp is a wife-beating, unapologetic, unemployable, scrounging drunk. He is what the lower classes believe the upper classes think all the lower classes are like, and is what the middle classes secretly wish they could be. He is symptomatic of the class warfare inherent in all British life.

The state should be smashed, eat the rich, burn the council estates etc.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa