Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I refuse to believe a human exists that actually enjoyed getting any of the collectathon trophies like the pigeons in GTAIV or the 'HAHA gently caress YOU IDIOT' trophies like Super Meat Boy's ones for beating thirty levels on one life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Trophies are fun, and collecting plats is fun

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I get platinums when they're not too tedious. Life is Strange is probably the easiest one I've ever done because all you have to do is find and take ten pictures every episode. I got the one for FF Type-0 and don't recall it being too bad either. I'll probably get World of FF and FFXV's eventually, and I got the one for Rocket League, though to be fair I cheated and did some of the more unlikely ones in private matches with bots or with my other controller.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I'll platinum games if they are games that I really enjoy enough to find them worth platinuming, as long as there aren't multiplayer trophies and the requirements aren't the worst bullshit. The most work I've ever actually put into a platinum is Bloodborne, as I've put into words on here how much I hate the Chalice Dungeons, but that was the one From game I felt comfortable with taking the extra time to put into getting that Platinum. It's not necessary or particularly important but it's nice to have something that just says "you did it, good job."

There was a person who asked about Nier if they hate JRPGs and I would definitely be cautious about it because, while the combat is fun and being early on it has already done some interesting stuff with genre shifts like the first Nier, the first Nier was already satirical in its approach to the JRPG formula and, like much of satire, had to actually partake in the problems with the JRPG formula to get there. There's a good chance Automata will take some of those cues, though so far it's been pretty lenient on that stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first few proper quests being 'yeah I need to to go collect me some robo parts' was pretty lol and would have been a lot more annoying even as a joke if combat and movement in general weren't so fun.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

gently caress Horizon Dawn is really that good huh?

I don't know poo poo about Nier but I love me some button mashing RPGs. I assume that means I should play it?

Fuckkkk Mass Effect coming out

poo poo I still haven't played through my copy of the last guardian

Ah gently caress breath of the wild

Last year was a good year for games, so is this year. Unless you own a Switch (just sold mine, what a joke)

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Fuckkkk Mass Effect

Here, I made it easier for you to catch up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I wanna see how that multiplayer from 3 that everyone raved about is

I'm almost tempted to buy the deluxe edition lol what a loser I am

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 11, 2017

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It was pretty fun in 3 but that's not a guarantee that they didn't gently caress it up in the new one.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lol at the platinum chat. I don't even finish most games that I play, let alone plat them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't always finish the games I play but if I do I plat them :smug:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The multiplayer in 3 was good. Good enough to warrant buying andromeda just for the multi if it's about the same. But it isn't good enough to me to play over Horizon or Nier or Persona 5 or Zelda or really any of the amazing games people might have kicking around in their backlog right now because these last 3 months have been nuts.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ah gently caress breath of the wild

Last year was a good year for games, so is this year. Unless you own a Switch (just sold mine, what a joke)

For real? I mean, I'll crack jokes against Nintendo but I find it hard to believe BOTW was so bad that you couldn't even bother finishing it? (Unless you own it on Wii U)

I'm not the best Zelda critic since I find Ocarina to be the most overrated game of its time. Windwaker was great, didn't bother to get even 25% into Twilight and never owned a system for Skylight Sword.

Horizon is good, quite good, but its not a "you gotta go spend 59.99 on it right now OMG" good. (Very few games are worth a day 1 price)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sell me on Nier cause I'm tempted to snag that and Horizon Dawn with the Amazon prime preorder price

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

For real? I mean, I'll crack jokes against Nintendo but I find it hard to believe BOTW was so bad that you couldn't even bother finishing it? (Unless you own it on Wii U)

Got a wii-u. My lifestyle doesn't really warrant the need for a portable Zelda. Don't get me wrong if you're always on the go for work or whatever the Switch is great--other than that I think it's a pointless gimmick with typical Nintendo bullshit. Just sold it at MSRP and made some 11-year-olds day so that's cool

BOTW has terrible FPS drops and in the wii-u version and has pretty poor performance on the switch all things considered. The 10/10 reviews across the board are way overdone. It's a fun game, don't get me wrong. I just think it's more of an 8/10 game and it didn't change my life or anything. Not a fan of the Skyrim aspects they implemented like weapon durability, armor pieces, and cooking and poo poo

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sell me on Nier cause I'm tempted to snag that and Horizon Dawn with the Amazon prime preorder price

A man who has been doing engaging and interesting poo poo with video game storytelling since 2003, constantly marred by relatively repetitive and uninteresting gameplay, is finally given a development studio that knows what the hell they're doing. The world responds extremely positively. At time of writing, Automata is tied with HZD for the best-reviewed PS4 game of the year, according to Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/ps4/filtered?sort=desc&year_selected=2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well goddamn guess I need that too :stare:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don't really know how to sell Nier to be honest. I feel like it's one of those things where once you know what it is it becomes obvious whether you should buy it or not. If a Platinum combat game made by a complete lunatic with a penchant for genre bending isn't self-evidently cool then I don't know what to tell you to get you on board with the idea.

But also I am currently a little disappointed with it to be honest, for the same reason I was ultimately disappointed with MGS5. For all the gains Automata made in the gameplay department over Nier 1, it feels like it threw most of the interesting storytelling out to get it. Not to the same degree as MGS5 but my first playthrough didn't really throw any really weird curveballs like Nier did and it still hasn't up through where I am in route 2. Plus none of the characters have any of the... character that the ones in Nier had. Also, route B spoilers. 9s is strictly more boring to play as than 2b. The hacking gimmick is cool but it isn't lose access to heavy strike rendering the combat a 1 button affair cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doesn't really surprise me, none of the Drakengard sequels hit the same levels of crazy as the first one (though Taro didn't have anything to do with 2 anyway), I think he just tells the story he wants to tell and doesn't feel the need to constantly one up himself like some people do.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I really tried hard to be cynical about Horizon's sometimes embarrassing level of earnestness, the over-seriousness of some of the world elements...but I couldn't keep it up. It's a great game. The devs obviously put a lot of effort into crafting genuine motivations and emotions for Aloy, and she's just such a wonderful character.

The environment and mech design are astounding, the music is beautiful, the writing is pretty drat good, and in general it just really fun to play in all the ways Witcher 3 wasn't.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Horizon earns every bit of earnestness it attempts.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I really tried hard to be cynical about Horizon's sometimes embarrassing level of earnestness, the over-seriousness of some of the world elements...but I couldn't keep it up. It's a great game. The devs obviously put a lot of effort into crafting genuine motivations and emotions for Aloy, and she's just such a wonderful character.

The environment and mech design are astounding, the music is beautiful, the writing is pretty drat good, and in general it just really fun to play in all the ways Witcher 3 wasn't.

yeah but I heard the mechs are red when they're hostile and green when they're friendly instead of you having to figure it out every single time by testing so the devs really missed a chance there to make something more organic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Horizon's writing is an embarrassing clusterfuck of cliches, but I haven't seen the touted backstory files yet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

morallyobjected posted:

yeah but I heard the mechs are red when they're hostile and green when they're friendly instead of you having to figure it out every single time by testing so the devs really missed a chance there to make something more organic

Well they're all hostile unless you hack them, so... What you're suggesting wouldn't exist.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sakurazuka posted:

Doesn't really surprise me, none of the Drakengard sequels hit the same levels of crazy as the first one (though Taro didn't have anything to do with 2 anyway), I think he just tells the story he wants to tell and doesn't feel the need to constantly one up himself like some people do.

I mean, the first Nier wasn't really "crazy" in that way either. Compared to Drakengard's giant space babies and child-eating elf women, it was a pretty down-to-earth personal story focused on strong characterisation of a core group of well-written, well-acted characters with a spicy side-order of meditations on the nature of violence. The wide-reaching implications and global consequences of the main character's actions and character arc are more of a side-note than anything else.

Plus, really really good music.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

But how does it compare to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo Switch?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Snak posted:

Well they're all hostile unless you hack them, so... What you're suggesting wouldn't exist.

I haven't played it but this was someone's complaint from a while ago

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I didn't want to give Yakuza 0 a fair shake beyond some hysterical translations early on, but wow, it is an amazing goddamn game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

But how does it compare to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo Switch?

You decide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Oxxidation posted:

Horizon's writing is an embarrassing clusterfuck of cliches, but I haven't seen the touted backstory files yet.
Okay

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Oxxidation posted:

It's a really interesting thing. It drops a ton of info on you during those quests and if you've been paying attention to the game, it's like the whole thing suddenly comes into focus. On one hand, I like story-telling like that where the event that ties everything together is withheld towards the end. It was a big part of why Catch 22 resonated with me back in high school.

On the other hand, it's kind of cheap story-telling maneuver and while late game truth bombs are a staple of story-telling in games, it doesn't make it any less lazy. The game really skated by on the fact that it presents it all in a very good way.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yes!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think Aloy is pretty cynical about the overly serious nature of the world too and acts as a pretty good player surrogate. I've laughed out loud a few times at her responses to things.

The world and story are just great though. It's such a well crafted game. You can tell almost everything had a ridiculous degree of effort put into it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Horizon: Zero Dawn is really good. It's got great action gameolay, and a good story. Good open world implementation. Good protagonist.

It's not generic or boring in any of the ways we were afraid it would be.

It's really good.

Worth full price.

Edit: also, it's gorgeous.

And yeah, ^ Aloy is a great character, whose personality fits both her premis and the player perspective.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Horizon starts off looking like it might be super cliche but it gets past that pretty quick and the overarching plot is great. And whoever said the ending isn't good is insane. Maybe the post-credit scene was a little eye roll worthy but otherwise it was very satisfying to the point where it doesn't even feel like a sequel is needed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The best thing about Horizon is that, if you have just seen advertisements and reviews you will go in with almost no idea what you are getting into. They really kept a lot of the cool stuff under wraps and I really think it's cool that they didn't show everything off in favor of letting players see for themselves. I really though the whole game was going to be a bunch of forests and huts with a pretty half assed story and I couldn't have been more wrong.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Horizon starts off looking like it might be super cliche but it gets past that pretty quick and the overarching plot is great. And whoever said the ending isn't good is insane. Maybe the post-credit scene was a little eye roll worthy but otherwise it was very satisfying to the point where it doesn't even feel like a sequel is needed.

I was actually really happy with the post-credits scene, because it's a really solid sequel hook and it didn't feel cheap. And I want a sequel, bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Originality of premise is not a problem HZD has, whatever its faults.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

morallyobjected posted:

I haven't played it but this was someone's complaint from a while ago

The mech's "eyes" turn yellow when they're searching for you and red when they're aggroed but that's about it. I don't really see why someone would complain about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The thing about Horizon being "earnest" is something that didn't really bother me. The story and setting is basically Fallout without the campy nostalgia, which I actually find preferable