Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

QuarkJets posted:

Was in a bad spot last week

As Ethiopia, I wanted to take another big bite out of Ottomans, but they had allied France. France was allied to Portugal and had a PU over Castille, and my vassal Morocco could use some growing. Declaring on Portugal, total war would be France, Castille, Portugal, Brittany, and Papal States vs me (Ethiopia), Commonwealth, and my various vassals. France did the smart thing and beat up Commonwealth, forcing them to peace out, and then I had a string of defeats (naval and land) in Iberia and all felt lost

Came back today remembering that my income is huge and I should max up my merc force limit for one big push. Began occupying tons of Castille territory, won some big battles, earned enough warscore to get France to break their alliance with Ottomans. Mission accomplished, and then I ate a strip of Ottoman territory all the way up to Georgia, and now I'm about to eat a big chunk of Persia and plan to go vassalize Ming who finally finished falling apart

I wish I knew more about finances in this time to know if historical nations were nearly willing to go as in debt or merc'd up as in EUIV.

Winning wars like that feel so good in game even if paying off seven loans can take forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Chump Farts posted:

I wish I knew more about finances in this time to know if historical nations were nearly willing to go as in debt or merc'd up as in EUIV.

I dunno about hiring eleven million mercenaries so you outnumber the ottomans but military expenses were a ridiculously huge part of everyone's budget, often including taking on debts. At least in europe.

Unrelatedly I checked the converted map of my CK2 game, and while it's going to be a while before I'm ready to use it (and I'd ideally like MOH to come out first), my god that Aztec empire! I'm assuming I can rely somewhat on them remaining isolated and taking a long time to get institutions, but I take it I really want to knock out all the native americans first to beef my colonial state up before I find the Aztecs?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 10, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I wouldn't count on pre-expansion exports working post expansion if I were you

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Chump Farts posted:

wringing the last penny out of your last friend to pay the last german to die in a miserable siege in service of your everwar is extremely 1600s

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

I wouldn't count on pre-expansion exports working post expansion if I were you

Well, no, I know it typically takes some time to update the converter, I'm just marvelling at the Empire and wondering how the hell I'm going to kill it.

On the plus side it is surprisingly low development for it's size; I'm wondering if that plus isolation might make it a bit of a paper tiger.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why do lightship fleets sometimes get stuck in port for no apparent reason? They're set to return to port in war but when the war ends they don't always resume working. Full health, full maintenance and full of sailors. They just refuse to set sail unless I manually repeat the order. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's protecting trade or privateering.

spectralent posted:

I dunno about hiring eleven million mercenaries so you outnumber the ottomans but military expenses were a ridiculously huge part of everyone's budget, often including taking on debts. At least in europe.
Which is interesting because in game Europe is the richest part of the world so you're the least likely to need to use loans to finance your conquests, unless you need to punch way above your weight.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 10, 2017

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Why do lightship fleets sometimes get stuck in port for no apparent reason? They're set to return to port in war but when the war ends they don't always resume working. Full health, full maintenance and full of sailors. They just refuse to set sail unless I manually repeat the order. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's protecting trade or privateering.

I've had this happen once and it said the fleet was hiding from pirates or something.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

spectralent posted:

Well, no, I know it typically takes some time to update the converter, I'm just marvelling at the Empire and wondering how the hell I'm going to kill it.

I was unable to play an old export quite some time after they'd updated but maybe that's been fixed now I dunno. Deleted the file so I can't go and check

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Poil posted:

Yeah, this happens irritatingly often. They'll continue to have the "hiding from enemy ships" order even after there are no enemy ships left. Think it's just a bug.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Well, observing my CK2 conversion sure is a trip. Somehow the Renaissance spawned in Oman and spread to India and China before it even started propagating in Italy, and good god some of those borders. Also "Scandanavian Scandanavia". I might have to mod the mod a bit when I'm ready to jump over properly.

EDIT: The incas invented colonialism, probably because they'd already discovered themselves :allears:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 10, 2017

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
I'm also doing an Ethiopia run and I don't know how to deal with the Ottomans.

It's 1580, I'm the 6th great power and I have printing press embraced. Unfortunately, the Ottomans want my land (they have the mission to conquer Egypt) and they're allied to France. Nobody wants an alliance with me (-20 very hard sucks) and they have 2,5x the army I have (I'm using all my force limits).

What should I do? I'm currently working my way through Mombasa to get some decent land and cover the 500dev advantage the Ottomans have on me. It seems that they're running away with the game because no one slowed them in the early game.

Maybe at some point they'll get in a bad war...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Observing this game I'm noticing a hell of a lot of people not conquering stuff. Like, I was expecting one of the great powers to have wiped someone by now, but there's loads of OPM bordering/inside empires that're inexplicably still there 200 years in. Almost all of north america is totally intact despite multiple colonisers being there, with only Navajo being absent. Byzantium did okay on the nomads in eastern europe, I guess.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally kicked France out of... well, France. Then Castile kicked them out of Iberia and Europe. Now to kick down on Castile and/or Aragon just because I can. :toot:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
If you want to see a good example of what this time period's finances were like watch the dev multiplayer games because that's pretty much what it was like. Just drowning in debt and corruption to finance your endless wars and using the brief moments of peace to try to save up enough money to do the same thing all over again when a new reason to fight comes up.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Wrapping my game up finally, almost done, but wanted to share this before there was nothing left.

Behold, the great powers of the world:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Wrapping my game up finally, almost done, but wanted to share this before there was nothing left.

Holy blue horror. :stare:

Two digits on the great power board, two of them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

trapt posted:

I'm also doing an Ethiopia run and I don't know how to deal with the Ottomans.

It's 1580, I'm the 6th great power and I have printing press embraced. Unfortunately, the Ottomans want my land (they have the mission to conquer Egypt) and they're allied to France. Nobody wants an alliance with me (-20 very hard sucks) and they have 2,5x the army I have (I'm using all my force limits).

What should I do? I'm currently working my way through Mombasa to get some decent land and cover the 500dev advantage the Ottomans have on me. It seems that they're running away with the game because no one slowed them in the early game.

Maybe at some point they'll get in a bad war...

Are Ottomans your rivals, and has anyone else set Ottomans as rivals? If so, then you can probably ally one or more of those nations. Poland/Lithuania/Commonwealth, Austria, Hungary, and Russia are your most likely options, possibly Persia if they're around and doing really well. If you don't have access to the Mediterranean then this is considerably less likely

Have you dominated the spice trade and the Zimbabwe trade node, yet? Those are sort of Ethiopia's "win conditions" against the Ottomans. If you're still working on these, then you may need to lose some territory to the Ottomans, but even if they completely conquer Egypt it's not too hard to take it back (most of that territory is low-development and doesn't contribute to your trade network, so it's not a huge loss). You can choose to either capitulate to them in the short-term or you can put forts in the mountains/steppes provinces and make taking your territory very expensive for them (you let them siege for a bit to build up attrition losses and then you try and stack-wipe them, using the big terrain bonus to your advantage)

Once you've got the spice trade locked down you should be snowballing and won't have any problem destroying the Ottomans. Seek out other high-dev areas to conquer that add to your trade network, there are plenty of options that feed into either gulf of aden (India) or the spice islands (East Asia)

How's your navy looking? Each province given to a trade company gives +1 naval force limit, so you can build an absolutely insane navy if you're dominating the spice trade. A big blockade is worth considerable warscore

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 11, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tsyni posted:

Jeez. Post a world map?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What would be the best idea group to strengthen the economy that consists (eventually) of North and South America? I love Economics, but since nearly every province is 1/1/1 I don't see that idea group being nearly as beneficial as usual. Would Trade work? Or would it not be worth it either?

I'm doing a game where I started in North America, so I have control of the Caribbean node and a strong grip on the others. I'm always growing, but I definitely feel the pain in the lackluster income and low manpower areas.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

What would be the best idea group to strengthen the economy that consists (eventually) of North and South America? I love Economics, but since nearly every province is 1/1/1 I don't see that idea group being nearly as beneficial as usual. Would Trade work? Or would it not be worth it either?

I'm doing a game where I started in North America, so I have control of the Caribbean node and a strong grip on the others. I'm always growing, but I definitely feel the pain in the lackluster income and low manpower areas.

Most of the trade nodes wind up converging on Caribbean, but then Caribbean goes to so many other places that you'll always have people pulling power from you. Those two things I think mean Trade is not a great pick. Economics would be good but probably isn't necessary, if you're going to dominate both continents then you should find plenty of gold and high trade value goods that you can just boost with diplo if you're hurting on cash

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Yeah, I was thinking that. Plus, all those 1/1/1 provinces have a 75% autonomy too, since there's a million states in the Americas and all of them save Mexico and west South America aren't worth coring again.

Node fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 11, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Are you also adding cultures to the Accepted Cultures list and converting provinces to your religion? These also have a huge effect on provincial income.

Hell, maybe Trade is the right answer, there are really only 2 nodes that are upstream of Europe so maybe you won't lose that much if you build a massive number of light ships. But with Economic you get -20% development cost, which would let you really utilize some of those gold mines...

I think eventually you're going to have to spend states on some of those low-dev areas. State-coring a low-dev area isn't the end of the world, and if you're hurting on income then that will at least improve matters if you're not being too picky about small profit

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, finally...what a slog. Got some achievements:

From this:

To this:

Obviously France to Emperor of HRE, then to giant snake monster that conquered the world. No loans, no devaluing currency, only one truce break against Ming at the end when I got impatient. I thought about colonizing everything there is, but then I decided I am not sick enough for that...though that map could be pure...pure...no.

Oh yeah, I got a PU over GB when they had their isles and some of the new world, but that was it for PUs. United HRE is too powerful.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 11, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Anyone else been plagued with massive Particularist rebellions the moment they start winning a war against Ottomans? It never fails in my case: as soon as I finish the Constantinople siege and have all the european part of their lands occupied, 2-3 stacks of 20+ rebels pop up on the land I'm holding, often right on top of my troops stacks.

And holy crap, that map. I honestly don't know how people can grab that much land. Or revoke the privilegia as soon as they seem to be able to do. :(

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Node posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that. Plus, all those 1/1/1 provinces have a 75% autonomy too, since there's a million states in the Americas and all of them save Mexico and west South America aren't worth coring again.

It's probably worth making some of them states even if you don't plan to make them full cores, since that drops the autonomy floor to 50%.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sephyr posted:

And holy crap, that map. I honestly don't know how people can grab that much land. Or revoke the privilegia as soon as they seem to be able to do. :(

Part of it is having cheap land to feed to the HRE to get authority, but the main part is being hard-core about enforcing Catholicism on the empire. There are other strategies, like Ottoman Protestant empire of death, but if you clamp down on the reformation you can stop it from getting off the ground and that helps a lot. You also need to stop blobbing, because having more princes in the empire leads to more authority. It's really a balancing act that just takes a few games to figure out how to optimize your actions. Luck is also a factor, haha...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't know how you guys do it... Once I get decently big enough, I just lose all of my enthusiasm to go to war, or play much at all. It's a little past 1700 in my mega-Scandinavia game, and I have a chance to enforce a personal union on Poland and Lithuania, but, Jesus, while it'll be a very easy war to win, I shudder just thinking about the micromanagement that'll be involved.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

I don't know how you guys do it... Once I get decently big enough, I just lose all of my enthusiasm to go to war, or play much at all. It's a little past 1700 in my mega-Scandinavia game, and I have a chance to enforce a personal union on Poland and Lithuania, but, Jesus, while it'll be a very easy war to win, I shudder just thinking about the micromanagement that'll be involved.

I've been playing that game off and on for a couple months :| Yeah, it's mind numbing. I just listen to podcasts near the end when I am conquering everything.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I converted a Ck2 Latin Empire game where I'm like North Italy and Turkey + Greece.

Obviously, being Catholic and on the border of the HRE I managed to easily finagle myself as Emperor.

In the end I let the Reformation happen because I wanted an interesting fight. I also started releasing vassals in land I'd taken to unwind the dominant position I accidentally got into.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tsyni posted:

I've been playing that game off and on for a couple months :| Yeah, it's mind numbing. I just listen to podcasts near the end when I am conquering everything.

I need to do this. 1600 hours of... the same music, with new ones added in every few months. I need a picture-in-picture of youtube or something.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

That is why you only form HRE at the very, very end of the game as the "I Win" button. As long as you feed those vassals you don't really have to manage much of anything. As the HRE you can feed your vassals super huge, and you have a ton of them, and you don't have to worry about revolt risk...

I had a just wonderful Austria game that I enjoyed very much, for the convenience reasons listed above..

It actually made me very sad to form HRE, I had played the game as a "Good Emperor" who was a cool dude who was all about growing as many princes as I could. Seeing them all disappear after our hundreds of years of adventure was very sad.

Russia was in PU under me, but that happened after I formed HRE.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is forming the HRE, forming the Commonwealth, and forming Spain the three most powerful decisions in the game? I've always wondered if there was anything more game changing than those, and I can't think of any.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

Is forming the HRE, forming the Commonwealth, and forming Spain the three most powerful decisions in the game? I've always wondered if there was anything more game changing than those, and I can't think of any.

Cracking open the Suez Canal is pretty significant simply for how much faster travel becomes between europe and asia

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

QuarkJets posted:

Cracking open the Suez Canal is pretty significant simply for how much faster travel becomes between europe and asia

Are canals still stupid and allow anyone to pass through them, even if you're at war with someone and control the two provinces?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Node posted:

Forming the HRE has to be the top, but probably the most difficult of the three mentioned. The earlier the more powerful it is too, but I guess that is true with all nations based on the snowball effect growing a country has in the game. HRE allows expansion without *any* real concern for over-extension, admin points or AE, so I would say it is the most powerful.

I imagine the other two listed are indeed the next most powerful decisions in the game, and *much* better than the lackluster forming of Scandinavia. I think getting a fully formed Russia/France in a PU situation (while not a decision) would be more powerful. It is not *quite* a decision, but as England if you force war with France for Maine and then enforce the PU I think that is more powerful than the two aforementioned formations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
What am I doing wrong/how am I so bad at this game, I thought coalitions were supposed to stop being a thing once you got powerful enough? In this game every motherfucker I've ever looked at joins a coalition the second they come off truce
(ottomans, going for wc, 1630, 650 force limit, 5700 great power points and next is commonwealth with 1k)

e: literally everyone in europe, about half of india, and about half of africa will coalition me if they have the chance

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 11, 2017

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

algebra testes posted:

I converted a Ck2 Latin Empire game where I'm like North Italy and Turkey + Greece.

Obviously, being Catholic and on the border of the HRE I managed to easily finagle myself as Emperor.

In the end I let the Reformation happen because I wanted an interesting fight. I also started releasing vassals in land I'd taken to unwind the dominant position I accidentally got into.

Do you think the converter did a pretty good job?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

awesmoe posted:

What am I doing wrong/how am I so bad at this game, I thought coalitions were supposed to stop being a thing once you got powerful enough? In this game every motherfucker I've ever looked at joins a coalition the second they come off truce
(ottomans, going for wc, 1630, 650 force limit, 5700 great power points and next is commonwealth with 1k)

e: literally everyone in europe, about half of india, and about half of africa will coalition me if they have the chance

AI nations only join a coalition if it looks like there are enough potential members to pose a serious threat. Once you reach the serious snowball phase, coalitions will stop appearing entirely; you're just not there yet

If you're having trouble with coalitions, just ease off the gas a bit in regions with your biggest threats, and when you declare wars in those areas (possibly to crush a coalition in the crib) then try to create stupidly long truce timers without taking territory (aka release nations, take war reps, maybe break up rivalries since that gives a ton of prestige, etc). You can also use your diplomats to push some of the bigger potential coalition members to +50, which can be enough to prevent coalitions from starting. But if you're okay with rolling truce timers then just blitz ahead and eventually the coalitions will stop forming as you become stronger

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Node posted:

I'd say that forming the mughal empire is up there as well, especially if you do state tricks to do it as ming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I may need a bit of a hand with the CK2 save converter.

1. I keep getting "Scandanavian Scandanavia" and other such constructions. Can I stop that?
2. What type of vassalage translates to being integrated, instead of a vassal? The Scandanavian empire seems to have an awful lot of ex-viceroyalty states as vassals instead of integral states.
3. Is it correct most states have generic ideals when converted, and if so, is this as simple as editing custom ideas into the converted folder?

• Locked thread