Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo games should be rated a lot harsher than they are if they have to be rated on a number/star scale at all, but I'd rather reviews just be opinion pieces instead of opinion pieces that pretend to have objectivity outside of raw technical aspects. Games aren't rated very harshly right now because it might hurt the publisher's feelings and then they might not send you free stuff anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

There was a remaster of Arkham Asylum?

Yeah that and City got UE4 ports to current consoles (and maybe PC?) late last year.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The 4-10 scale never really bothered me since that's also how you are graded at school in Finland

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CJacobs posted:

imo games should be rated a lot harsher than they are if they have to be rated on a number/star scale at all, but I'd rather reviews just be opinion pieces instead of opinion pieces that pretend to have objectivity outside of raw technical aspects. Games aren't rated very harshly right now because it might hurt the publisher's feelings and then they might not send you free stuff anymore.

A written review ending with "buy this if you're into X, Y, and Z; avoid if you don't like [game mechanic]" is much better than a score imo, game preferences vary pretty wildly and it''s good to give some frames of reference.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Andrast posted:

The 4-10 scale never really bothered me since that's also how you are graded at school in Finland

Is that similar to how anything below a 60 is a failing grade in American schools?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

There was a remaster of Arkham Asylum?

Was there? Is it on ps4? It's the only Arkham game I really liked...

Oh right, didn't it have the cutscenes that looked way worse becuase they were in-engine?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mad respect to this mystery man I bumped into on FF14. I don't know why his face amuses me so much, but it does.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

plz dont pull out posted:

Is that similar to how anything below a 60 is a failing grade in American schools?

Yes. A 4 is a failing grade and grades 5-10 pass.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak posted:

Was there? Is it on ps4? It's the only Arkham game I really liked...

Oh right, didn't it have the cutscenes that looked way worse becuase they were in-engine?

So far the only bad bits I've seen are a few faces (esp Batman's for some reason???) and the Joker's weirdly huge hands. In game it seems fine but I haven't played the original recently enough to tell really.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

plz dont pull out posted:

I mean, if you're trying to demonstrate mastery and you're only getting slightly over half of your answers right, you won't really look like you understand the material.

Anyway, video games. Am I right guys?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I mean, if you're trying to demonstrate mastery and you're only getting slightly over half of your answers right, you won't really look like you understand the material.

Anyway, video games. Am I right guys?

School grades should really include S ranks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SSS rank or forget it

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

School grades should really include S ranks

I'm not quitting until I manage to get an SSS in chemistry.

Goddamnit Sakurazuka

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Use of an eraser on exams is permitted but will lock you out of the highest rank.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Just the other day I got a gold split on History and beat my PB by a whole 2 minutes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My favorite games are the ones I have the will and motivation to finish, for the ones that do have an endpoint anyway. I know it's all about the journey blah blah blah who cares, I like to see the end. There are a lot of games out there according to goon canon that I should bow down and accept as The Best Ever, but truth be told if I get bored halfway through and don't care enough to ever complete them, then I can't say they're even better in my own mind than Super Monkey Ball 2, where I got 100% of all challenges.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

So by this metric, Super Monkey Ball is a 10/10 and The Witcher 3 maybe like a 5/10 because I only got halfway through.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

exquisite tea posted:

So by this metric, Super Monkey Ball is a 10/10 and The Witcher 3 maybe like a 5/10 because I only got halfway through.

Witcher 3: 2/10 because I made it out of the first zone and killed the gryphon but haven't gotten much beyond that yet.

Mini Metro 10/10 because I got every achievement and zoned out to this and had a blast with it.

Okay, seems to check out! :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Makes Gone Home the best game I played last year so it checks out

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gone Home is like a 20/10 because I replayed the whole thing with audio commentary.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland is like a 120/10... WOW!!!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If reviewers based score on how much of the actual game they'd played before hitting send on their review the average score wouldn't even be a whole number.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

Gone Home is like a 20/10 because I replayed the whole thing with audio commentary.

This, but Grim Fandango and DoTT.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hah, I played through DoTT remastered twice because I needed the trophy you get for leaving the metal music playing the whole game for the platinum.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://gfycat.com/NegligibleHilariousGalapagoshawk

Oh gently caress :eyepop:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What....what am I looking at? Aside from motion sickness central?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

Hah, I played through DoTT remastered twice because I needed the trophy you get for leaving the metal music playing the whole game for the platinum.

I have to admit, the creativity and subversiveness of the achievements in the Doublefine remasters of classic LucasArts games has been pretty great. Trolling the players by making them play through the whole game with metal music blairng was a pretty inspired one but I like the ones that poke fun at themselves, like naming the one you get for completing what was apparently one of the more esoteric puzzles back in the day (causing a rainstorm by washing a car) Obvious, Really... or giving you an achievement called Alas, Our Lazy Speechwriters Didn't Cover This for going to the trouble of talking to Washington and co after they do the fire evacuation only to find that there's no now unique dialogue.

Also how the achievements double as a rap sheet of all the crimes you've committed over the course of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

while ps2 emulation continues to be a giant shitheap that makes zero progress with devs instead focusing on making weird hacky fixes for every separate game and never actually addressing the core faults of the emulator causing those issues in the first place which leads to already hosed up games sometimes getting even worse, xbox emulation continues to literally not exist

you will never be able to play grabbed by the ghoulies in 1080p

Wasn't that in the rare collection on Xbox one

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Wasn't that in the rare collection on Xbox one

he said 1080p

StrixNebulosa posted:

What....what am I looking at? Aside from motion sickness central?

Quake Champions. It's... It might be good you guys...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOCCHBuXmIw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

he said 1080p

Quake Champions. It's... It might be good you guys...

Pops ult on my wifu marine

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That fov is horrendous.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol jesus christ.

does this come out this year, I'll support anything Bethesda makes that isn't called Fallout because they're on a roll

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Clearly Symphony of the Night deserves a 200.6 score.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Clearly Symphony of the Night deserves a 200.6 score.

Well by this logic I guess Portrait of Ruin is the greatest game ever made

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That fov is horrendous.

Lol if you don't play quake with a 120 fov.

Also, I know that map!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I've said it before but game scores in general and the 1-10 scale in particular should die

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr Cheeto posted:

I've said it before but game ... s in general ... should die

I can't believe you would say something like that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I give this thread a 5 out of 5.

Pros:
- Immersive thread title
- Dynamic AI

Cons:
- Lack of replayability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
It's taken my PS4 two days to download Night in the Woods because of how lovely my internet is

I give my internet service a 1 out of 5

• Locked thread