Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What on earth does it even mean to have an "embarrassing level of earnestness"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wouldn't use those words myself but it does start out feeling like a YA novel a little bit.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Digirat posted:

What on earth does it even mean to have an "embarrassing level of earnestness"

A lot of the stuff at the beginning, the awkward child intro and being shunned, the parts of the village named after anatomical parts of Mother Earth, the overwrought responses of the High Mothers, the shoehorned 'raid', it's cool, interesting concept stuff that adds to the overall world but doesn't exactly nail the right tone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

A lot of the stuff at the beginning, the awkward child intro and being shunned, the parts of the village named after anatomical parts of Mother Earth, the overwrought responses of the High Mothers, the shoehorned 'raid', it's cool, interesting concept stuff that adds to the overall world but doesn't exactly nail the right tone.

I guess I can see the comparisons to YA novels but considering the general level of video game storytelling, that's actually pretty good. Also the stuffiness of that culture does a pretty good job of making you want to get away from it, which also helps you identify with Aloy, who also takes a jaundiced eye to all of it.

It also sets up a good contrast to the other cultures and characters in the rest of the world, who are all generally Very Cool and Good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I totally felt the same way. I enjoyed the beginning but the vibe was a little cheesy. That mostly goes away after the prologue area though. The game almost kills it off to a comically brutal degree.

early game spoilers "I guess these are my plucky sidekicks for the whole game oh wait everyone loving dies and it's time to go be a socially inept killing machine

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I wouldn't use those words myself but it does start out feeling like a YA novel a little bit.

Yeah, like it really doesn't detract from the game, in fact it does its job to lure you in super well. Some of it is just a grade below the way a company like Naughty Dog would approach characterization or thematic development.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

veni veni veni posted:

Wow that has to be the first time I've heard of someone not liking the ending of Inside.

Too bad LP's are the worst form of entertainment ever.

It's the last minute I have a problem with. And the secret ending. I think I know what they were going for but the boy could have been replaced with a sack of rocks and it wouldn't have made much of a difference in the game's emotional weight. The game is atmospheric but lacks the emotional punch to actually engross me in the simple narrative, unlike Ico and SotC. The result is just a thundering 'That's it?'

My favorite part is actually the beginning. Strangers rounding up people and hunting you through the woods was intense and scary.

Also LPs are the worst, and my nephew can't stop watching them, even if he doesn't play the games. The more noise they make the better.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
PS4 Doom is like 80gb same as the PC version right?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah, like it really doesn't detract from the game, in fact it does its job to lure you in super well. Some of it is just a grade below the way a company like Naughty Dog would approach characterization or thematic development.

I really disagree, I thought the whole Proving conceit at the opening of the game was an excellent vehicle to demonstrate how Aloy's journey changes from purely self-motivated ambition ("I will become accepted and discover my true origin") to one of cooperation and trust. When Rost brings her to kill the Sawtooth as her final lesson to serve a cause greater than herself, Aloy does it out of obligation, but still doesn't understand why. Why should I help the people who shunned me for most of my childhood? Much later in the game, when Aloy returns from the facility in Mother's Cradle, now knowning she was a clone of Elisabet Sobeck, the Nora people who once shunned her begin bowing down like she's a religious figure. Early in the game Aloy would have welcomed that kind of groveling before her as proof that she was right, but now knowing her true purpose, she forces them to get back up and mobilize. The dual narrative of Project Zero Dawn + present day shows us the danger of fanatical self-interest (Faro, Sylens) and the power of those who combine compassion with cooperation (Sobeck, Aloy). There's a lot more that I could say but I think Horizon is really intelligently written, maybe in ways that aren't obvious at first, but that all work together to make it greater than the sum of its tropes.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

PS4 Doom is like 80gb same as the PC version right?

I can confirm that it is 80Gb yes. The enemies have huge guts, the game has huge guts. You have 80gb of guts to rip and tear... RIP AND TEAR UNTIL IT'S DONE!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Linking crowb videos in 2017 lol

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Guillermus posted:

I can confirm that it is 80Gb yes. The enemies have huge guts, the game has huge guts. You have 80gb of guts to rip and tear... RIP AND TEAR UNTIL IT'S DONE!
I have already ripped and torn on the PC but I was thinking of double dipping since I am too lazy to play PC games anymore. I was hoping a version with all the DLC would come out someday though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The DLC's are exclusively for multiplayer. If you don't care about it, just go with the cheapest option for PS4 (I'm sure it'll hit 20$ on PSN store soon) but you can find it for 20 retail already.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Doom looks so freakin good on PC that I can't imagine wanting to play it on any other system.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Doom looks so freakin good on PC that I can't imagine wanting to play it on any other system.
I had heard it would look and run about as good as on my midrange game PC.

Guillermus posted:

The DLC's are exclusively for multiplayer. If you don't care about it, just go with the cheapest option for PS4 (I'm sure it'll hit 20$ on PSN store soon) but you can find it for 20 retail already.
Oh, I didn't know that. At least when I played it many months ago the multiplayer was a whole lot of nope.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I own it on PC (played it on high, not ultra) and it looks really nice on PS4 too. Sometimes I just want to play some snapmap on the couch and well, buying Doom twice isn't a bad idea because... Doom... is good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think we can all agree that everybody should own Doom.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It is hard for me to picture playing Doom with its frantic shooting on a gamepad.

Coming off dozens of hours with Horizon I still am terrible at aiming on a gamepad and am missing all the time in Resident Evil 7

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

I think we can all agree that everybody should own Doom.
Doom is almost miraculously good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It is hard for me to picture playing Doom with its frantic shooting on a gamepad.

Coming off dozens of hours with Horizon I still am terrible at aiming on a gamepad and am missing all the time in Resident Evil 7

It works fine since the aiming speed isn't locked to being incredibly slow like Horizon for some reason.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
The only bad thing about Horizon's writing is that its full of unnecessary exposition, and they could make it better by simply removing around 20% of the dialogue.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Joakim Brecht posted:

The only bad thing about Horizon's writing is that its full of unnecessary exposition, and they could make it better by simply removing around 20% of the dialogue.
I feel that way about almost all games.

Zelda is quiet, Nier is at least quieter than Horizon. The Doomguy smashes things that talk too much.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I really disagree

Thanks for the long post, but I'm not sure what we're in disagreement is about. I think the game is good. :)

Hace posted:

Linking crowb videos in 2017 lol

2016 was 3 months ago and I linked them then, too. And I'm going to keep on linking them and there's nothing you can do to stop me you loving goony rear end goon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

*DOOM

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DooM

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played Doom to competition and it made going back to games like Destiny and Overwatch absolutely insufferable. They're so slow by comparison.

The same with Titanfall 2. Playing the MP of that and then going back to something like Overwatch feels like playing in slow motion.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Is the Doom demo representative of the game?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Peel posted:

It's the first level of the game.

You'll get more guns and upgrades and stuff as you go on (obviously) but at its core it's pretty much the rest of the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Peel posted:

100%

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Unlocking all the weapon extras and getting creative about killing monsters was a big part of enjoying Doom for me. It encouraged mastering all the weapons in a way that was missing from old Doom where I'd generally just stick to whatever killed everything. It also made a bunch of weapons useful for entire game. Fun times.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All the power ups you can get are great too. You can mix and match them for different play styles.

Excellent game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks for the long post, but I'm not sure what we're in disagreement is about. I think the game is good. :)

I think the opening premise of the story is good, well-paced and does the Inciting Incident thing well.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sell me on Nier cause I'm tempted to snag that with the Amazon prime preorder price

What Amazon pre-order price am i missing?
I have prime and even when i go to check out any preorders seem to be like 2 bucks off

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only game I've ever wanted to Platinum was Hitman, and then I got like 95% of the way there and found out it doesn't even have a platinum trophy, which I didn't think was a thing. Oh well, still going to 100% it because it's rad.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

All the power ups you can get are great too. You can mix and match them for different play styles.

Excellent game.

It feels like with the choices for suit upgrades, weapon upgrades, and runes, you almost have a "build" like in an RPG.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Tiny Chalupa posted:

What Amazon pre-order price am i missing?
I have prime and even when i go to check out any preorders seem to be like 2 bucks off

Every new game I've preordered or bought within a week or two of release is 47.99

So 20% off

I dunno if it's different in countries that don't care about freedom or something.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

FishBulb posted:

Every new game I've preordered or bought within a week or two of release is 47.99

So 20% off

I dunno if it's different in countries that don't care about freedom or something.

No, for some reason in the US, Nier Automata is showing up as $57.99 on Amazon now. But it's also showing up by default as from a third party too, which is real odd for a game that's not out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Obsurveyor posted:

No, for some reason in the US, Nier Automata is showing up as $57.99 on Amazon now. But it's also showing up by default as from a third party too, which is real odd for a game that's not out.

It's out.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Oh then yeah, it's been out for more than two weeks too, so no discount. Makes sense. I thought it was still coming. Too many games coming out lately, hard to keep up. :)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Obsurveyor posted:

Oh then yeah, it's been out for more than two weeks too, so no discount. Makes sense. I thought it was still coming. Too many games coming out lately, hard to keep up. :)

Half a week, Japan has had it for longer than two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I dunno why people get bent out of shape at the thought of others getting the platinum trophy for a game.

On the other hand, I platinum'd FFXIV and 100%'d PSO2 and I thoroughly recommend doing neither of those.