Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
that dog's gonna get lit

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
fyi

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hope that first one doesn't mind sharing

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is ABC News 24 streaming coverage or what? I need video feeds of broken dreams!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Editorial
Inhuman services

A month ago next week, The Saturday Paper reported on the death of Rhys Cauzzo. The florist and musician was being pursued by Centrelink over historic payments. He was menaced by debt collectors. On January 26, he committed suicide. His mother and girlfriend say Centrelink’s treatment of him tipped him over the edge.

This week the secretary of the Department of Human Services, Kathryn Campbell, was asked by a senate committee about Cauzzo’s death. Her response was so specious, so tellingly disconnected, that it is worth reproducing at some length. To paraphrase would be to inject feeling.

“This is a very sad event, and we don’t want to make it harder for families,” she said. “This was a former recipient. It wasn’t a current recipient. So that’s why the debt collectors had been used on that occasion. There are always different dimensions to stories that appear in the media, as I’m sure you’re aware. We have a different take on what was reported.

“We provided the initiating letter. And the initiating letter asked people to clarify. There was a 1800 number that people were able to access, and deal with and work through those issues. We often find that people are distressed when dealing with the social welfare system. I mean, every morning I have a look at my email and there are a number of emails about people who are distressed in different circumstances – it may be their personal circumstances, it may be the interaction of our system with other systems, it may sometimes be a misunderstanding of eligibility under the criteria. And we work with those individuals to try and resolve those issues… But this is a complex payment system. And often people don’t understand the obligations that go with the payments, that they are required to update various pieces of information. And we do our very best to make it as streamlined and user-friendly as possible. But I do acknowledge that there will be people distressed.

“I think in the lead-up to Christmas and into January people became even more distressed because of the significant media attention around these issues. I think half of the stories that appeared in the media were not part of this system – they were general debt matters. And because of some of the stories in the media, there was a belief that all debts were wrong. And therefore people started to get saying, ‘I want this debt waived. I don’t think I should have to pay this back.’ ”

None of what Campbell said changed the facts of Cauzzo’s death – it simply avoided them. This is not about the media. It is not about whether a debt was raised manually or by a grossly flawed algorithm. It is about a department completely unwilling to engage with the brutality of its procedures.

Recently, private information about welfare recipients has been leaked to the media in the hope of discrediting critics. After The Saturday Paper published Rhys Cauzzo’s story, the department shared his personal data with our reporter in the hope of changing the piece. This week, Barnaby Joyce said: “If you want to keep your information absolutely private, don’t go and get the dole whilst you’ve also got a job.”

The contempt in which people who receive welfare are held is the contempt of a government out of touch with its responsibilities. It is this contempt that designs a system such as the one that drove Rhys Cauzzo to suicide.

Welfare does not exist to punish people; it exists to help them. In receiving the support of the state, a person does not forfeit their ordinary rights. Nor should they.

But these simple principles seem beyond this government and beyond the department that serves it. In their place is a deadly barbarism, a breakdown of the social compact under which this country once operated. Our system of social security was once the envy of the world. Under this government, it has become a monster.

Jesus loving wept

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Anidav posted:

Is ABC News 24 streaming coverage or what? I need video feeds of broken dreams!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I hope someone makes a joke about seat sniffing tonight.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 11, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
WA old people currently the best demographic.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

you know there are actual bdsm sites right?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Also amazon will ship self torture devices right to your door.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This guy on ABC 24 is a loving idiot.

EDIT: "Doing a preference deal is not an endorsement of that party" :lol:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

:what:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
"Yes we should accept Nazis as exactly the same as everyone else." -Some liberal gently caress.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Your Federal Minister for Justice Michael Keenan:

”One Nation are the same as any other party"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
One Nation didn't run candidates in seats where their preferences would matter for the liberals.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

They might have the same legislation apply to them but I don't know about the rest of that statement.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

One Nation didn't run candidates in seats where their preferences would matter for the liberals.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

:lol:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

I was going to post about that, he's still normalising PHON on election night, completely clueless.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I for one am delighted that we're now 40 minutes in, and they haven't wheeled out Chris Uhlmann.

Maybe the pump broke.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Maybe word got out, keep this regional ffs, feds are bleeding badly as it is.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Don Dongington posted:

I for one am delighted that we're now 40 minutes in, and they haven't wheeled out Chris Uhlmann.

Maybe the pump broke.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
"The ABC has been denied access to the One Nation Function"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
loving PHON keeping ABC out of their function. They really think Trump's popular don't they?

e:fb

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

loving PHON keeping ABC out of their function. They really think Trump's popular don't they?

e:fb

Reports coming in showing One Nation partiers going to the LNP function Cheeky banter

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/SenatorCulleton/status/840515464992235521

:iceburn:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Vaccinations cause autism - A normal party's policy position.

All Muslims should be banned from Australia - A normal party's policy position.

Legalising drugs - Crazy

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is Turnbull screwed if the Libs lose WA?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Earlier this year I made the prediction that if Federer won the Melbourne Cup, the shitstorm that was 2016 was over and everything would be good and we were past the worst of it. Early results holding true to polls predicting a huge swing against Libs seems to be showing my prophesy valid. :colbert:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Numbers coming in on Sky News: if you find a better price Bunnings will beat it by 10%

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Raged posted:

Is Turnbull screwed if the Libs lose WA?

He's screwed either way, but doubly so if WA is the wipeout that's being predicted.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I like that one of the quotes that keep showing up on the ABC's chyron is Pauline Hanson talking about how assocating with the liberals has damaged One Nation.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Who takes over if Turnbull gets knifed?

Isn't that the real holdup?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Duttdogs.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I'm the 20% swing against the Liberals in Geraldton.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

I want to know more tyvm

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Schlesische posted:

Who takes over if Turnbull gets knifed?