Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

What's the best way to get horizontal distance? I'm seeing at least two instances where there's chests on some sort of out of reach platform, and I can't seem to get enough distance to get over there from the closest ledges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Endorph posted:

my girlfriend sees me playing sexy anime games and her response is 'oh, that girl looks good'

get a better girlfriend op

If a girl isn't okay with casual sexism in character design, that's her defect. Also, I never noticed that the design gives a near full moon during the run animation half the time, you're the perv for looking at the screen!

Jesus christ, thread. I don't even know how to debate with someone who will blatantly deny that's it's noticeable.

Anyway, finished the second cycle.... I really hope I get my heavy attack back. Simplifying the already simpler than expected combat to include babies first shmup was tedious as hell. No more of that please.

Edit: Son of a bitch. They even gave me a minute of false hope.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 11, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Anyway, finished the second cycle.... I really hope I get my heavy attack back. Simplifying the already simpler than expected combat to include babies first shmup was tedious as hell. No more of that please.

Oh boy, do I have news for you :coffee:

I've cleared entire hand game in 27 hrs by skipping a lot of side quests. Also I hate jump quests when will I be free of it's tyranny?!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
(late Route B, I think?) "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?

:stare: Well hot drat that's pretty blunt. Also I still don't know where to find Pearls. I need them to upgrade a few weapons.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

XavierGenisi posted:

What's the best way to get horizontal distance? I'm seeing at least two instances where there's chests on some sort of out of reach platform, and I can't seem to get enough distance to get over there from the closest ledges.

Depends on what's on the other side.

Generally speaking, launcher, jump, pod shoot+jump dash, pod program missile (not to be confused with the pod that shoots missiles).

Other things that can extend you horizontally but can be counter productive: light attack mash (these end in a down attack if you have enough moves available), pod hover + light attack (may also be heavy, I never use this). Your chip builds can influence this too. Higher move speed means your jumps have more momentum, obviously.

When you have your general capabilities off by heart, you know what to use when.

Related to this topic:
As 9S you can hijack a flying robot and trivialise it entirely by self destructing it at your destination

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 11, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

2x posting to separate the story spoiler from the other post.

alcharagia posted:

(late Route B, I think?) "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?

:stare: Well hot drat that's pretty blunt. Also I still don't know where to find Pearls. I need them to upgrade a few weapons.

It's some good poo poo because there are multiple interpretations of it in both English and Japanese that make full sense in the greater context of the game

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

alcharagia posted:

They're one of the field items available in the Flooded City and one of the shops in Route C will just sell them directly.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Holy poo poo, Route C is making me think Yoko Taro just personally hates me. What did I do to this guy?

If I'm not feeling the gameplay or the narrative, is there any point in me continue past this point? I know suffering through mechanics for the narrative brilliance is kind of the thing with Yoko Taro games and I would like to get my 60 bucks worth... but this is getting to be a bit much.

Also, A and B being separate routes kind of feels like padding. Like why not have the story just switch between characters during the first playthrough like any other game would do, instead of making you replay large chunks. And if that were the case, why have an ending after Eve dies at all? Just continue the game up until the apparently binary choice between C and D, like a normal game. The best argument I can think of is it holds off the "robots are self-aware" and "humanity is dead" reveals, which are both obvious. So obvious that everyone guessed it before it came out. This is a normal game with a choice between two endings, split up to pad length and be cute.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you aren't feeling the gameplay or the narrative, you don't like the game, so no, drop it if you're not having fun, just like any other.

I don't really get your complaints at all outside the padding one though, personally.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 11, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you aren't feeling the gameplay or the narrative, you don't like the game, so no, drop it if you're not having fun, just like any other.

I don't really get your complaints at all outside the padding one though, personally.

I mean, they reveal huge changes to game mechanics as the game goes on, unlike most games. Not ones I've liked so far, but that didn't make later ones invalid, so the question is a bit more pertinent than it would be with "any other game."

Thanks for the answer though.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

I mean, they reveal huge changes to game mechanics as the game goes on, unlike most games. Not ones I've liked so far, but that didn't make later ones invalid, so the question is a bit more pertinent than it would be with "any other game."

Thanks for the answer though.

If you're at route C, the gameplay isn't really gonna continue to change past what you've seen. And while I'd say that yeah, some of the plot points are predictable, a large part of what made it work for me was seeing how you get to those plot points and how the characters react that made the story interesting. That said, if you aren't enjoying it, don't try to sunk-cost-fallacy your way into hoping that maybe the next part is the part that'll make you like it. Just write it off as a loss and play a game you actually have fun with.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yo tell me I'm not going crazy, I'm at the end of Route B (I'm pretty sure)

When I fought Adam and Eve in the mothership way back when there was like a split second frame of a girl in a red dress- nobody mentioned her and I'm like... 100% I'm not going crazy here, but I haven't seen her since and now I'm starting to wonder. My eyes weren't playing tricks on me were they?

Also I have a slight guess to the theme of this game and if I'm right then welp v:v:v

The robots keep trying to mimic humans and they keep failing, but they keep trying and trying- my guess is that they're failing because of android interference and that's the only thing keeping them back. I'm guessing that the humans either don't exist or something along those lines as well but who the hell knows. It's fun to guess.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 11, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When I fought Adam and Eve in the mothership way back when there was like a split second frame of a girl in a red dress- nobody mentioned her and I'm like... 100% I'm not going crazy here, but I haven't seen her since and now I'm starting to wonder. My eyes weren't playing tricks on me were they?

Your eyes are not playing tricks

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I have a slight guess to the theme of this game and if I'm right then welp v:v:v

The robots keep trying to mimic humans and they keep failing, but they keep trying and trying- my guess is that they're failing because of android interference and that's the only thing keeping them back. I'm guessing that the humans either don't exist or something along those lines as well but who the hell knows. It's fun to guess.

Your eyes were not deceiving you. You are pretty close to answers to your speculation as well.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

If you're at route C, the gameplay isn't really gonna continue to change past what you've seen. And while I'd say that yeah, some of the plot points are predictable, a large part of what made it work for me was seeing how you get to those plot points and how the characters react that made the story interesting. That said, if you aren't enjoying it, don't try to sunk-cost-fallacy your way into hoping that maybe the next part is the part that'll make you like it. Just write it off as a loss and play a game you actually have fun with.

I just don't know why those plot points couldn't have been part of Route A. It feels like if The Last of Us got to Winter, and then said "Okay now replay everything from the start, but as Ellie. After that, we will show you what happens next!" Just switch me over to 9S for his bits of gameplay and exposition in cyberspace/on the bunker/whatever. Like, does the Yoko have any respect for my time?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yoko Taro's sole purpose in life is to inflict suffering on people.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Bugblatter posted:

Like, does the Yoko have any respect for my time?

No he doesn't, and nor does anyone else. You've clearly hated this game already, while many other people enjoy it. Just stop playing and go post in another thread.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^^ Sorry for the dissenting opinion buddy, but I've got at least one more question:

I ignored advice and got to Hegel and it was awesome. How much stuff like that and the boss in the bottom of the factory in Route A is left in the game and if there is more can I easily sort of speedrun my way to it?

Edit, in case I sounded too snippy: I'm not upset that other people are liking it, that's great. I kind of thought it was gonna be an ARPG overworld with Platinum dungeons, but instead it's more of a JRPG through-and-through, with Platinum bookends on Route A and pretty no Platinum zones at all Route B. Right after finishing Route B I was pretty fatigued of a genre that wasn't even hinted at in the demo/promotional stuff I saw. That's obviously no issue for JRPG fans and the people who were in before Platinum was even mentioned and for them, great. I'm mostly curious if there's more of the stuff I originally came for, plus a little (admittedly, maybe too much) venting.

It's seems like the A2 route is my cup of tea, so I'll probably finish that out and ignore the rest.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 11, 2017

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The fastest way to get a response would probably be to just tweet Yoko Taro. The best explanation I can think of is you are explicitly meant to experience the story's progression up to that point from each character's perspective. Route A shows that 2B trusts and cares for 9S more than she lets on to his face while route B demonstrates that the continued interfacing and hacking with the machines that 9S is doing is giving him insight into the machines' motivations and backgrounds (the storybook stuff), all of which he is neglecting to share with 2B. Combining the playthroughs could potentially be confusing since, while it wouldn't be explicitly stated or shown, it may suggest that there's direct android-android interfacing and instantaneous data exchange since you, the player, are controlling and being represented in the game world as both characters simultaneously, making it more ambiguous who is learning what.

Fake edit: Sorry that last sentence is a little run-on, but it's late and I'm not immediately sure how to put it better.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

XavierGenisi posted:

There are a couple chests that require you to air combo during the jump to get to them. Jump, jump again at the first jumps peak then hold x to begin holding on to your pod. Do an attack to do some weird kick then using a 1h sword do 3 or 4 more swings and then evade to make it across.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Final third of route A event
Doesn't really gently caress around on Hard, may as well do it on Very Hard because the energy pellets the enemies fire at you for the entirety of the shoot em up versus the big whale thing two shot me through a chip board stacked only with +4 to +6 ranged defence up chips, leaving me at like 75% damage reduction on them. Time to switch my attention on and play for keeps on that bit. It's not especially hard though if you do pay attention to it

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

There are a couple chests that require you to air combo during the jump to get to them. Jump, jump again at the first jumps peak then hold x to begin holding on to your pod. Do an attack to do some weird kick then using a 1h sword do 3 or 4 more swings and then evade to make it across.

I don't think I ever came across a jump that requires a combo. Sprint and double jump, then shoot+jump to use the Pod, and then dash if you need the extra distance. The Pod swing is pretty good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

On Route C now

I'm glad that right after my ghost girl question was asked she started jumping up literally everywhere. Go figure. This all seems very ominous, thanks Taro :v:

Can I get a simple yes or no to this? Just to sate my curiosity. Is Emil's only purpose in this game to serve as a shopkeeper? I kinda get that feeling but I was hoping for a little more.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get a simple yes or no to this? Just to sate my curiosity. Is Emil's only purpose in this game to serve as a shopkeeper? I kinda get that feeling but I was hoping for a little more.

Nope. His other purpose needs to be found and is kind of hidden though.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So, (route C) I have a choice of whether to have Pod 042 support A2 or 9S. Is this like an ending choice or will I be doing both in sequence?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

dasmause posted:

You aren't retrieving them, you're getting their effects as a temporary buff. Assuming you're talking about player bodies

I am almost certainly getting permanent chips from players but I have no idea why some stay and some don't.

Edit: oh I was looting chips from npc corpses I think.

Also don't try the blackbelt quest at level 12!

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 11, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

alcharagia posted:

So, (route C) I have a choice of whether to have Pod 042 support A2 or 9S. Is this like an ending choice or will I be doing both in sequence?

You do both. Just depends on what you want to see first.

Side note, I'm liking route C a bit more.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Are some of the sidequests inaccessible in the first route? I'm at what someone said the point of no return is and some of the markers are pretty far from where I've been.

Are the sidequests still available in the second route?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Been great so far. Never got round to seeing many trailers or the demo so it's all very fun and new. Just met the desert nudey sephiroth terminators. Oh, and fought those big dudes over the bridge to the shopping mall. Got some good levels out of cheesing them to death.

Also I was trying to work out how Platinum had made boar drifting better and I realised a large part of it was being able to hip-check robots into the middle of next week. Apart from that, it just feels better somehow.

Also also the fishing is great. Everything about the pod is to be honest. Always make sure to pet it every so often. :3: Might just grind money fishing a little while to buy all the chip slots because there's a lot of nice ones so far.

Oh, also I got a message about going back to the tutorial zone to pick up some things, is that something I can do now or is it for later?

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Armor-Piercing posted:

Are some of the sidequests inaccessible in the first route? I'm at what someone said the point of no return is and some of the markers are pretty far from where I've been.

I think all the first route quests are available on second route and there's more

McDragon posted:

Oh, also I got a message about going back to the tutorial zone to pick up some things, is that something I can do now or is it for later?

It's just the stuff you had at the end of tutorial, including that greatsword. You can do it later probably but why wait

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Finished endings A-E just now. While I thought route A was tuned to either be boring or overly punishing and I hated route B's cyberspace mechanic... I liked route C-E a lot, after it's frustrating intro was over. Aside from some very short sidequests, it was a nice long stream of Platinum gameplay and the difficult was tuned just about right, especially with A2's new combat mechanics. Also, all the interesting story beats happened in C-E.

If Route B hadn't been such a slog I probably wouldn't have been quite as negative earlier, though to a degree I made it worse by doing all the sidequests on that route, instead of later.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Yes, some are only accessible in certain routes, specifically ones regarding your operator. Other than those, any sidequest completed in route A will stay completed in B, though if it was only partially progressed it will be entirely reset. C-E sidequests are completely separate. However, there's no true point of no return for any sidequest, you just might not have access to some for a while because there's a chapter select unlocked after route C. If you're want to finish all subquests during their first availability, then in Route A and B make sure to finish them before doing the quest about the missile. For route C, do them before doing the mission about books.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Route C question does A2's dash do anything special? It's quite a bit different from either 2B's or 9S's and she turns red at the end of it, but I haven't figured out if it can do anything. Additionally, does anyone have any chip setups to make B mode more sustainable? I can keep it going indefinitely as long as there's trash to kill but that's about it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope that they repurpose this game's engine for future RPGs. There's so much here that's brilliant, particularly the way the game flows in and out of a free 3-D moving space to 2-D spaces, particularly when you're in towns and villages. It allows them to take a very small space and expand it without using up real-estate.

Like, imagine if the FF7 Remake had a similar flow. Exploring Cosmo Canyon like it was the village in this game would be incredible. The seamless way action and exploration is integrated is really wonderful.

This game does so many things so incredibly well. But...

Anyone here playing on the Plus? If so, can you comment on whether the final boss of Route A was really janky and glitchy on your end? Is there pop-up and frame stutters at points?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really hope that they repurpose this game's engine for future RPGs. There's so much here that's brilliant, particularly the way the game flows in and out of a free 3-D moving space to 2-D spaces, particularly when you're in towns and villages. It allows them to take a very small space and expand it without using up real-estate.

Like, imagine if the FF7 Remake had a similar flow. Exploring Cosmo Canyon like it was the village in this game would be incredible. The seamless way action and exploration is integrated is really wonderful.

This game does so many things so incredibly well. But...

Anyone here playing on the Plus? If so, can you comment on whether the final boss of Route A was really janky and glitchy on your end? Is there pop-up and frame stutters at points?

I'm not on Pro (I assume that's what you meant), but the area where that takes place has frame stutter all the time, including that fight.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

About chapter select Can I replay Route B with 2B instead of 9S I can't get used to his moveset which made the entire route 2x as long as needed. Also I how do you find the final 2 Desert Flowers? They're marked on my map but I don't see them by the sand river zone.

About Pascal's Villagers on Route C Why did they decide to eat each other suddenly? Was it the virus?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think I saw someone drag the route A final boss all the way to Anemone because they thought they could buy healing items, it got stuck in the walls and the clipping was ridiculous. I'm not sure why they even let you do that.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Related to this topic:
As 9S you can hijack a flying robot and trivialise it entirely by self destructing it at your destination
:doh: I knew I was entirely forgetting this. I'll keep in mind the other stuff, but that was kinda the big thing I forgot about. Thanks.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I guess in answer to my own question from earlier regarding separating the different routes as they do, I'm now guessing it's largely because they play differently. Route A is mostly JRPG with some Platinum Lite action, Route B is heavy on shmup, and Route C is closest to a normal Platinum title. I've probably made it too clear what I think of the execution on the JRPG subquests and shmup hacking, but the concept itself is solid.

Alder posted:

About chapter select Can I replay Route B with 2B instead of 9S I can't get used to his moveset which made the entire route 2x as long as needed. Also I how do you find the final 2 Desert Flowers? They're marked on my map but I don't see them by the sand river zone.

About Pascal's Villagers on Route C Why did they decide to eat each other suddenly? Was it the virus?

I wish, but chapter select is not character select. I don't know the answer to the two other questions as I had already collected those items earlier somehow and am equally confused about the latter.

Actually, I'm confused about a bunch. I was really satisfied with the late game narrative because one character detail was really impactful with its implications, but the more I thought about the actual plot events in the last stretch the more I realize I don't understand any of it.

HGH posted:

I think I saw someone drag the route A final boss all the way to Anemone because they thought they could buy healing items, it got stuck in the walls and the clipping was ridiculous. I'm not sure why they even let you do that.

You're actually supposed to get one of the fail endings if you leave the main combat area during that fight, so it shouldn't have been possible. Guess it bugged out?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Bugblatter posted:

Actually, I'm confused about a bunch. I was really satisfied with the late game narrative because one character detail was really impactful with its implications, but the more I thought about the actual plot events in the last stretch the more I realize I don't understand any of it.

YokoTaro.txt

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Armor-Piercing posted:

Once you do the Missile mission, you're basically done for all but a handful of sidequests at that point. You should be able to do most sidequests on the second route but some are character specific. You eventually get chapter select and can go back to do them.

Eopia posted:

Route C question does A2's dash do anything special? It's quite a bit different from either 2B's or 9S's and she turns red at the end of it, but I haven't figured out if it can do anything. Additionally, does anyone have any chip setups to make B mode more sustainable? I can keep it going indefinitely as long as there's trash to kill but that's about it.

When you're in Berserk mode, the end of the dash does a lot of damage. It doesn't do anything in normal mode. Sustaining B mode outside of HP on kill chips isn't realistically possible, outside of spamming heal items.

Alder posted:

You can't play as characters during parts they're not supposed to playable at. Not sure about Desert Roses. It was a logic virus that got Pascal's villagers yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

What are you referring to, specifically?