Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do not enjoy that my enemies are using level 4 lasers while the highest any of my science people have rolled is a level 2 weapon :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

OwlFancier posted:

I do not enjoy that my enemies are using level 4 lasers while the highest any of my science people have rolled is a level 2 weapon :/

No, that's great! You can bypass level 2 and reverse engineer level 4 from their debris!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GunnerJ posted:

I've been wondering for a while whether they are aware that there is a "missile problem." Or whether missiles work basically as they'd like right now.

They know. For Banks:

Wiz @ Paradox posted:

Missiles are indeed being buffed.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Is this game good yet? I recall people complained it lacked content on release.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

WMain00 posted:

Seems pretty solid so far - it's great that they're all functioning together absolutely fine.

My first run I pretty much died quickly though - I spawned out on the very edge of the galaxy and my neighbour right next to me were aliens that absolutely hate everyone and want to purge the universe.

Really wish I could outpace the AI in building armies/research. Seems i'm always one step behind.

I'm trying out The Culture run now in another game. I also added Guilli's Planet Modifiers on to your mod list:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865040033&searchtext=more+planet

Seemed like a fun mod to have.

I'll report back further if the game I'm playing now doesn't insta-kill me.

I saw that mod as well and really wanted to play around with it, but I think it was going to cause some conflict with an event mod and an AlphaMod component, so I haven't yet. I left the starting Federation tech mod in, even though I don't play with it on most of the time because the AI absolutely hates when I begin purging and allies up hard.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

amotea posted:

It is much improved, but at this point wait until the Utopia expansion hits 4/6 and then check back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ulmont posted:

No, that's great! You can bypass level 2 and reverse engineer level 4 from their debris!

I could if they didn't wipe out everything because one of their destroyer cannons is better than one of my station guns.

With the lack of apparent reason to use anything other than a single vast fleet and the inability to really do anything if your fleet is worse than their fleet, I'm not really sure how combat is supposed to work in this.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

OwlFancier posted:

I could if they didn't wipe out everything because one of their destroyer cannons is better than one of my station guns.

With the lack of apparent reason to use anything other than a single vast fleet and the inability to really do anything if your fleet is worse than their fleet, I'm not really sure how combat is supposed to work in this.

You can get mildly tactical and even the odds slightly if your fleet is underpowered. It's not foolproof by any stretch of the imagination, but the AI is dumb and usually just doomstacks which leaves them open to a little exploitation. Unlike say CK2 or EU4 armies, the individual ships in Stellaris fleets target other individual ships. So you can counter doomstacks by splitting your forces between three or four fleets, sending one in to catch the attention of the enemy fleet, then once engaged send the other fleets into the system at different angles by sending them through specific neighboring systems to flank and/or come at the enemy from behind. This will often break up the enemy fleet as they try to target all over the place after they've obliterated the original trap fleet, rather than focusing on one specific fleet at a time, thus spreading out their damage.

If the enemy is just incredibly beyond your capabilities to defeat they'll still beat you into the dirt, but if they're only a little ahead of you this tactic can be enough to overwhelm them and you can walk away the victor. Often it's a Pyrrhic Victory, but if you manage to pull this off against a much more advanced fleet you can get great tech discoveries and plenty of stuff to help rebuild your fleet.

I did this after pissing off a Fallen Empire. And despite being very early game and severely underpowered I actually won, annexed their Ringworld into my territory and purged their pops on two of their other colonies. One of my proudest accomplishments in the game so far.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ulmont posted:

To be fair this is o ky great because AI is that sluggish at war and the war score is so relatively high that you have time to reverse engineer some stuff, put it on your ships, and build new ones.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

amotea posted:

No not really. You probably want to wait 2 or 3 expansions to get a game with solid 4x systems. The 4x/Grand Strategy hybrid that the game is supposed to be will probably take more than a year to become a reality.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

amotea posted:

Between the mods and the upcoming expansion, I feel I've more then got my money's worth.

The question is, what are you after? What other space 4X's have you played and prefer?

If I was going to draw comparisons, I'd say Stellaris plays like a more hands-off in regards to combat Sword of the Stars.... which is still a gross understatement of the differences, but here we are. :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Pylons posted:

I'm still hoping for hangar modules to be able to build replacement strike craft in the middle of combat, rather than launching all they have then sitting useless until the battle is over.

They do. But the build rate takes forever. It's something like 0.04 per day, so it'l take something like 3 months.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Finally updated my faster gameplay mod to work with 1.4.x: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=712006231 . Basically it doubles the speed of everything for all players, including the AI, using auto-researched techs so it should work with pretty much any other mod.

I'll try and remember to update it for the expansion when it comes out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ulmont posted:

It is much improved, but at this point wait until the Utopia expansion hits 4/6 and then check back.

I think you mean 6/4.

It's definitely worth playing now anyway.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Taear posted:

I think you mean 6/4.

It's definitely worth playing now anyway.

It got delayed until June?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Spanish Matlock posted:

Only if you read like an uneducated barbarian

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spanish Matlock posted:

European company. You play our games you use our, objectively superior, date system.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Splicer posted:

European company. You play our games you use our, objectively superior, date system.

I'm not waiting until June to play this game, so 4/6 it is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not waiting until June to play this game, so 4/6 it is.
But that means the fourth of june.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Poil posted:

But that means the fourth of june.

Honestly if you're the type of person who thinks saying June Fourth (????) makes more sense than saying the Sixth [day] of April, then you're the very reason the purge button exists.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Beats living on a planet full of spiders tho.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Tell that to Australia.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

GunnerJ posted:

Even if we lived on a planet full of spiders Americans would insist on calling them dipsers or something just to stick it to the King of England

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bloody Pom posted:

Tell that to Australia.

Oh, sweet name suggestion, thanks!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ISO 8601 says MM-DD. Of course it also says YYYY-MM-DD. So you're all wrong. :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The simple solution is just to stop using abbreviations for the date when talking online. April 6th.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So if you designate a slave race as livestock, do they actually need another pop somewhere demanding food in order to eat them and actually progress the purge? If my empire ascends to ultimate robotic evolution can we still eat xenos purely for pleasure?

current question: is there not actually a way to see a list of current vassals? I've never really bothered with them it until this playthrough and its a nightmare trying to pick out my different vassals, tributaries, and protectorates from the enormous galaxy-wide empire list

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mondian posted:

So if you designate a slave race as livestock, do they actually need another pop somewhere demanding food in order to eat them and actually progress the purge? If my empire ascends to ultimate robotic evolution can we still eat xenos purely for pleasure?

current question: is there not actually a way to see a list of current vassals? I've never really bothered with them it until this playthrough and its a nightmare trying to pick out my different vassals, tributaries, and protectorates from the enormous galaxy-wide empire list

I think if you set someone to livestock essentially every now and again a pop is killed and it adds a big lump sum of food to your total.

So like say a pop is killed every 6 months, and you get 150 food per pop, youre basically getting +25 food per month.

If your entire race is synthetic then you'll just have no one eating food, so your stockpile will reach maximum and then the growth bonuses you get will apply to no one.

What you could do is become a synthetic race, turn another race into food, and then sign migration treaties with other empires, and feed them with your alien food.

Easiest way I found to see a list of vassals is to go on the contacts/diplomacy screen and find your own empire, when you click on yourself it shows you a list of all the diplomatic relationships you have.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This is pretty cool:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/840522876646260736

In an update later, the enslaving empire declared war on Wiz to get their slaves back.

Junpril the Fouxth can't come soon enough!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Wonder if there are diplomatic ways to influence a change in government/ethics.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My impression from the Dev Diary was that Livestock (and purged pops set on Processing) just have a huge modifier added to their food production and 0% to all other outputs. Mechanically, they'd just be super-farmers. The part about eating them is just flavor.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Clarste posted:

My impression from the Dev Diary was that Livestock (and purged pops set on Processing) just have a huge modifier added to their food production and 0% to all other outputs. Mechanically, they'd just be super-farmers. The part about eating them is just flavor.

No, I think you actually kill pops and get food for killing them, it's one of the purge options.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kitchner posted:

No, you actually kill pops and get food for killing them, it's one of the purge options.
You can do both I think. Either kill them for food right now or set them up with a bonus to food production. :yum:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I think livestock is what turns them into super-farmers, and processing gives you a big pile of food once the purge is finished.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Eh, like with centipedes, some look cute.

That said, for some reason I get really creeped out by spider-faces. It's something about the eyes, I guess. :shrug:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There two ways to eat pops, a purge type called processing or a slavery type called livestock. The former makes more food in a short time, but the pops die. The latter give a bit less food, but lasts as long as you keep the slaves.

Loveline
Dec 30, 2005

Whats a good strategy for destroying AI doomstacks when everyone is running Matter Disintegrators? Even the unbidden were less annoying to fight because these are multiple empires in a coalition who have a mix of shield and armor. I've tried everything but all cruiser/battleship strats and just get wrecked because they have a 50k advantage and my allies gently caress off as soon as things go south.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Darkrenown posted:

There two ways to eat pops, a purge type called processing or a slavery type called livestock. The former makes more food in a short time, but the pops die. The latter give a bit less food, but lasts as long as you keep the slaves.

Only two? Listen here buddy, my race of interstellar horrors has thousands of cuisines surrounding the eating of sapient lifeforms. And I want every last one modeled in game, with unique benefits. Stir-fry, gumbo, steak, ready meals and high-end restaurants, I want there to be Michelen Star type awards for my best human chefs, and a rousing debate about whether humans or minbari taste better.

e; Oh oh! And then you get a big Ur-Quan style split in your empire later in the game. One faction thinks people who roboticize themselves should be slave-shielded and forced to return to being organic, the other thinks roboticization is such an insult that any species doing it should be wiped out.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Bloodly posted:

They do. But the build rate takes forever. It's something like 0.04 per day, so it'l take something like 3 months.

I vaguely recall messing with the build time back when the game came out and no matter what after that first wave of strike craft that got launched, no more would throughout the battle (but upon starting a new battle the refreshed wave would launch). I could be wrong, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

e; Oh oh! And then you get a big Ur-Quan style split in your empire later in the game. One faction thinks people who roboticize themselves should be slave-shielded and forced to return to being organic, the other thinks roboticization is such an insult that any species doing it should be wiped out.

Well, you're going to need a Dnyarri in there somewhere.

I'm going to get my revenge on stone age primitives by turning them into food, however.

• Locked thread