Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I wonder how many sitting ministers are going to lose their seats?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Don Dongington posted:

I remember back when this thread was less partisan.
Wat no Don, this thread and all it's antecedents have always lusted after Tory tears.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

lol if you think nsw has any chance of moving to the ALP. Foley is a dud root and not going away any time soon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Didn't it used to have one or two token tories..

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The ABC has been refused entry to One Nation's Western Australian election night headquarters after being told it was a private function.

That is despite journalists from other media organisations being allowed into the Melville bowling club, where party leader Pauline Hanson will address supporters later tonight.

The ABC was initially told by a staffer it was not authorised and refused an orange access wristband.

Senator Hanson's advisor James Ashby then confirmed the decision by text, saying it was a private function.

"I'm sure you'll respect the party's decision," Mr Ashby said.

He said One Nation Senator Brian Burston agreed.

"Senator Burston has also confirmed he's not interested in admitting any other media than those already approved," Mr Ashby said.

Other non-ABC journalists said they had arrived without being "approved" and were allowed in.

Mr Ashby said the ABC could take Channel Seven's feed but no individual ABC reporters could go in.

"Thanks for your understanding, but your cameras and crew are not authorised in," he said.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Isnt the Tasmanian guy pretty popular as well?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Fuckin lol at some of the swings getting recorded in seats, they need a bigger dial

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If Pauline doesn't get to 5% she goes back to jail.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
22% swing in Bunbury :laffo:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://fat.gfycat.com/MagnificentFrailBarb.webm

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

19.8% swing to alp in Stirling ranges

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone know what happened in Pilbara?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'm going to be loving furious if Vic turns into a worse state than WA. livid.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

One term Dan.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Anyone know what happened in Pilbara?

https://www.elections.wa.gov.au/elections/state/sgelection#/sg2017/electorate/PIL/results

ALCHIN LIB 459 14.16%
WHITE-HARTIG SFP 337 10.40%
MICHEL ALP 910 28.08%
GRYLLS NAT 1,026 31.66%
McKENNA GRN 110 3.39%
ARCHIBALD PHON 348 10.74%
DUNN FLUX 41 1.27%
HOOPER MBP 10 0.31%

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not sure you should be worrying about that one just yet.

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011

I'm voting you for MVP of the night.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Bookmarked.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

https://www.elections.wa.gov.au/elections/state/sgelection#/sg2017/electorate/PIL/results

ALCHIN LIB 459 14.16%
WHITE-HARTIG SFP 337 10.40%
MICHEL ALP 910 28.08%
GRYLLS NAT 1,026 31.66%
McKENNA GRN 110 3.39%
ARCHIBALD PHON 348 10.74%
DUNN FLUX 41 1.27%
HOOPER MBP 10 0.31%

Oh, ta

I'm a bit conflicted about this one as on the one hand gently caress the Nats, but on the other gently caress big mining and it would be pretty sweet to see any candidate get up in the face of such a massive campaign on their part

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*sighs of relief for Australia maybe improving*

*Looks at QLD eating its own poo poo in the corner and listening to its little brother Ipswich telling QLD to burn it all down*

Qld ALP: Abortion, maybe?

*keeps eating own feces and mumbling about muslim bikies shooting property investors on the Gold Coast*

MEANWHILE BRISBANE INSISTS THAT BUSES WITH RUBBER TIRES ARE NOT ACTUALLY BUSES BUT A MYSTERIOUS VECHICLE SIMPLY CALLED "METRO"

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Stop talking about a state nobody cares about except as a distant curiosity, Anidav

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My favourite part about Keenan's feats of mental gymnastics and refusal to admit that they have been slaughtered were horribly out of step with the population is the fact that so many of the north of the river seats that flipped today make up parts of his federal seat.

Based on these results, he'll be fighting to retain his seat at the next poll.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

ABC currently predicting
ALP 39
Lib 14
Nat 6

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Stop talking about a state nobody cares about except as a distant curiosity, Anidav

Your guilty conscience may force you to only care about NSW and VIC but deep down you yearn for a cold hearted Queenslander to experiment with fascism, brutalise bikies and rule you like a king!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
OTHER THAN THE SEAT COUNT

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
PHON unlikely to win any upper house seats based on figures so far.

heh. hehehe,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

V for Vegas posted:

A wonderful parody account, I believe.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pauline says she wasn't letting the ABC in because she doesn't want to be surrounded by media. Richo giving her both barrels now.

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001
That Pauline roasting/interview on channel 9 was hilarious.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
ABC interviewing a greens candidate:

'It's disheartening that the media paid more attention to Pauline Hanson, a person who's not even a candidate in the election, than serious parties'
'Yeah, but have you thought about what your party could do to capture the media's attention?'

Why don't you just gently caress up your campaign more and say stupid as gently caress poo poo? We'd cover you more!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pauline saying result was not so good because they didn't have much time to prepare.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

A baby ate my dingo posted:

That Pauline roasting/interview on channel 9 was hilarious.
That will teach me for sticking with the abc.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Graic Gabtar posted:

That will teach me for sticking with the abc.

:same:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Let us remember the pre election articles

A tired premier, a surging One Nation, and a risk-averse alternative: how the west was lost

Perth: Gary Flatt had been a Labor voter all his life, just like his train driver dad. Then John Howard came along.

"He was probably the greatest PM we ever had," says Flatt, a power station operations technician from Collie, a mining town of 7000 people two hours' drive south of Perth. "He was a strong leader."

Since Howard, though, he's been fed up with both major parties, and won't be voting for either at Saturday's WA state election.

"One wants to let in thousands of refugees and the other wants to sell off the power grid," Flatt says.

Instead he'll be voting for Pauline Hanson's One Nation: "She's a force to be reckoned with now."

The Harley Davidson enthusiast – who has a bushy beard, tattoos covering both arms and gold rings on his fingers – supports weekend penalty rates and big infrastructure spending. But he's sceptical of renewable power and Muslims ("The ones in the cities are not integrating. They should fit in or f--- off.")

"We should stop all foreign aid, freeze all politicians' wages, get rid of the deficit, drug and alcohol testing for everyone on the dole," he says.

"We need a Donald Trump in Australia."

According to Perth-based election analyst William Bowe, Flatt's hometown of Collie has much in common with the rust-bucket areas in the US that turned for Trump.

"If there is a One Nation boilover anywhere, I've got my eye on that seat," he said recently.

Home to two mines and three power stations, Collie has been hit hard by the downturn in coal prices. Last year local mine operator Griffin Coal, which was taken over by an Indian conglomerate in 2011, handed workers a 40 per cent pay cut.

"There is a lot of anger in the town at the moment," says Darren Flatt, Gary's nephew, who joins us for a chat outside the local bakery.

He was laid off by Griffin two years ago after 27 years service and says the mine owners are "mongrels".

Both his apprentice sons would like to stay in town and work but don't think there will be jobs for them.

FACEBOOK SHARE

EMAIL

TWITTER

WHATSAPP
Politics
News
List subcategories
SAVE
LICENSE ARTICLE
232 READING NOW
A tired premier, a surging One Nation, and a risk-averse alternative: how the west was lost
Advertisement

Matthew Knott
16 hrs ago
Play Video
Who are you Mark McGowan?
Perth: Gary Flatt had been a Labor voter all his life, just like his train driver dad. Then John Howard came along.

"He was probably the greatest PM we ever had," says Flatt, a power station operations technician from Collie, a mining town of 7000 people two hours' drive south of Perth. "He was a strong leader."

Since Howard, though, he's been fed up with both major parties, and won't be voting for either at Saturday's WA state election.

"One wants to let in thousands of refugees and the other wants to sell off the power grid," Flatt says.

RELATED CONTENT

Fighting for his political life: on the road in WA with Eric Abetz's brother
WA election: An idiot's guide to preferences and voting
Instead he'll be voting for Pauline Hanson's One Nation: "She's a force to be reckoned with now."

The Harley Davidson enthusiast – who has a bushy beard, tattoos covering both arms and gold rings on his fingers – supports weekend penalty rates and big infrastructure spending. But he's sceptical of renewable power and Muslims ("The ones in the cities are not integrating. They should fit in or f--- off.")

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE ON TWITTER
LINK

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...309-guv2b1.html
Collie resident Gary Flatt in the main street of Collie.
Collie resident Gary Flatt in the main street of Collie. Photo: Tony McDonough
"We should stop all foreign aid, freeze all politicians' wages, get rid of the deficit, drug and alcohol testing for everyone on the dole," he says.

"We need a Donald Trump in Australia."

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE ON TWITTER
LINK

Pauline Hanson on the Hustings in Kalgoorlie.
Pauline Hanson on the Hustings in Kalgoorlie. Photo: Dean Sewell
According to Perth-based election analyst William Bowe, Flatt's hometown of Collie has much in common with the rust-bucket areas in the US that turned for Trump.

"If there is a One Nation boilover anywhere, I've got my eye on that seat," he said recently.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE ON TWITTER
LINK

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull with Julie Bishop and Premier Colin Barnett.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull with Julie Bishop and Premier Colin Barnett. Photo: Andrew Meares
Home to two mines and three power stations, Collie has been hit hard by the downturn in coal prices. Last year local mine operator Griffin Coal, which was taken over by an Indian conglomerate in 2011, handed workers a 40 per cent pay cut.

"There is a lot of anger in the town at the moment," says Darren Flatt, Gary's nephew, who joins us for a chat outside the local bakery.

Photo gallery
Pauline Hanson in Perth
He was laid off by Griffin two years ago after 27 years service and says the mine owners are "mongrels".

Both his apprentice sons would like to stay in town and work but don't think there will be jobs for them.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
SHARE ON TWITTER
LINK

Colin Barnett, Brendon Grylls, Pauline Hanson and Mark McGowan. Illustration by Alan Moir.
Colin Barnett, Brendon Grylls, Pauline Hanson and Mark McGowan. Illustration by Alan Moir.
There's clearly fertile ground for populist politicians like Hanson in towns like Collie. Many homes proudly fly the Aussie flag; on the main street one man passing by has the southern cross on his cap, another on his singlet.

There's no political correctness either. It's "skimpy" night at the Victoria Hotel when Fairfax Media visits for dinner on International Women's Day. The barmaid wears a red bikini top, sequined knickers and knee high socks.

But – despite all the hype – it's far from certain One Nation's seeds will bloom on election day in the west.

Hanson has dominated media coverage and spent the past week travelling across the state, building up expectations of a thumping result.

But, rather than the tour de force she had hoped, it's been a train wreck.

Hanson's comments on Sunday's Insiders program questioning vaccination caused an uproar, overshadowing anything she had to say about state issues. Four days later, Hanson admitted she was wrong to say parents could test their children for adverse reactions to vaccines.

Since then, she's contradicted state leader Colin Ticknell on whether she supported taking GST revenue from her home state of Queensland and giving it to WA ("I think Colin Ticknell has had a senior's moment," she said.)

A former state president and his wife, aged 87 and 79, announced they were suing Hanson for age discrimination, claiming she had sacked them because they were "too old".

Throughout the campaign, Hanson has been dogged by questions about her preference deal with the Liberal Party. She insists the preference swap was necessary for One Nation to break into the state Parliament.

But the decision infuriated candidates such as Collie-Preston contender David Miller, an electrical fitter and traditional Labor voter who spoke out against the deal.

Rather than giving the major parties the middle finger, Hanson was now cutting backroom deals with them. It made her look like something dangerous if you're fishing for votes in the anti-establishment pond: a regular politician.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.9news.com.au/National/2017/03/11/08/31/WA-Election-2017-Western-Australia-goes-to-the-polls

Scroll down a bit for the Hanson video, and Trump gets put through Laurie's Crusher.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm fully expecting SA to buck the trend and end up as the only Coalition state government soon. That said all this Tesla stuff in the news the last couple of days is a wildcard, the power outages have really hurt the government but if they can get consistent messaging about how it's the result of Lib privatisation and they are doing things to fix it everything could flip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

V for Vegas posted:

Other than the only metric that really counts, the Liberals did great

• Locked thread