Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Ideally I would like to see orders here today or Saturday, especially since I have school poo poo I really should be working on so I'd rather not be still nagging people for orders on Sunday. But yes, the actual deadline isn't until Monday.

(Ooooooooooordeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeersssssssssssss)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Guys, this epidemic of generals going awol is making us look bad in front of the enemy, the loathsome and perfidious Prussian

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Ikasuhito posted in here two days ago, and to my knowledge Sandman is working on an orders post. Give them a little bit.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

Ikasuhito posted in here two days ago, and to my knowledge Sandman is working on an orders post. Give them a little bit.

I was just making a silly joke about the two guys who read the wrong thread, didn't even realize it could be taken that other way. No worries, not what I meant at all!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Oops. Brainfart on my part. I have to stop having those before I get too many German soldiers killed. :V

(Also it was an excuse to continue to prod those two about ORDERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS)

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I yet live! I am working on my maps as we speak.

Though I probably wont get anything posted till after work.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
2nd Cavalry Orders

Enter the map in Marching Order along the northern road, then continue down the road and across the northern bridge. Remain on the northern road until you reach Stethoscope.

If Ikasuhito's 1st Brigade entered Stethoscope without fighting or was fired upon from elsewhere, take up Battle Order inside the town, then deploy in Defensive Stance with the arse hortillery and one MG in the northwestern Outskirts, one MG in the western Outskirts, one MG in the northern outskirts, and the cavalry as well as my brigade HQ in town.

If Ikasuhito was fired upon from the town, halt 14" from the Outskirts and change to Battle Order, then charge down the road into town on the next turn. After the town is taken and its defenders destroyed, take up positions as per the above orders.

Once in town, if an enemy formation closes within charging distance, the cavalry companies and my HQ are to charge them, pursue until the formation is destroyed or routed, then return to positions in the town.

Standing Orders:
When sighting an enemy on Attack Stance 12" or less away: CHARGE THEM
When attacking the enemy: CHARGE THEM
When enemy breaks off or retreats: KEEP CHARGING THEM
Break off automatically when: NEVER

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

The Sandman posted:

2nd Cavalry Orders

Enter the map in Marching Order along the northern road, then continue down the road and across the northern bridge. Remain on the northern road until you reach Stethoscope.

If Ikasuhito's 1st Brigade entered Stethoscope without fighting or was fired upon from elsewhere, take up Battle Order inside the town, then deploy in Defensive Stance with the arse hortillery and one MG in the northwestern Outskirts, one MG in the western Outskirts, one MG in the northern outskirts, and the cavalry as well as my brigade HQ in town.

If Ikasuhito was fired upon from the town, halt 14" from the Outskirts and change to Battle Order, then charge down the road into town on the next turn. After the town is taken and its defenders destroyed, take up positions as per the above orders.

Once in town, if an enemy formation closes within charging distance, the cavalry companies and my HQ are to charge them, pursue until the formation is destroyed or routed, then return to positions in the town.

Standing Orders:

I don't see any maps here, and I suspect Trin is going to look at conditional orders that require telepathic links with another brigade and laugh maniacally while throwing them in the bin. "If you see gunfire from the town" might be more reasonable.

You also didn't specify what your Battle Order formation actually looks like.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 10, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
In the roll20 he said he's going to be editing in the map. I think he's at work at the moment.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

mossyfisk posted:

I suspect Trin is going to look at conditional orders that require telepathic links with another brigade and laugh maniacally while throwing them in the bin.

Check out the In Touch rules under "brigade-to-brigade communications", they're pretty rad; information from that brigade will percolate back to him with a delay if he can't see anything for himself

edit: less sarcasm, more useful direction required; edited to add a link

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tweak to sighting in forests

A company may now see out of a Wood if it is within 4 inches of the relevant edge.

The spotter plane

The spotter plane does not have to be ordered immediately, but it must be ordered no later than the second pause for new orders, after Turn 16.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'm gonna not do that measurement post i said i'd do tonight because i'm drunk and lazy. i don't think anybody needs it right now anyway. i suspect it'd be a useful reference in the long run but the orders for the two brigades on the map are proceeding apace so i'll leave it alone for now

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Get it done ASAP, never know when we'll need it

Ikasuhito, still need your orders. Sandman, put a map and arrows in your orders.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you are American, do not leave your post for the last day! There was the same sort of problem with trying to get some orders out five minutes before the deadline last time

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

May still need some tweaking after I rest.

Orders up!

Brigade is to enter map in Marching order along Southern road and proceed with all due haste towards Stethoscope.

If Brigade spots enemy Units OR we have become aware of 1st Brigade coming under fire we should deploy in combat formation, head towards enemy and cavalry should Charge the enemy once we are within range. Other assets should halt once they are close enough to engage the enemy and support our assault. Once and enemy has been destroyed Brigade should return to the road at it's nearest point and continue on to Steth.

If Brigade is fired upon it should likewise Charge the enemy while support assets...uh, support

Battle Formation

If the path to Steth is uncontested and/or Brigade has successfully taken town, they are to move into the town and shake out into Battle formation, sans one of three MGs and arty witch will take up positions until Brigade has moved on to Taillis.*

*To be a bit more precise, I want the MG closest to the Brigade Commander to stay in formation as they move south while the other two, plus the arty, stay in the town as shown in the map below.

Brigade should move south to point shown to ensure southern approach is clear.If enemy is spotted Brigade should Charge them until destroyed or they retreat across the river. Once that is done all units should move to Tailis and take up defensive formations as shown.

Standing Orders:
When attacking an enemy: Charge him!
If enemy flees: Run him down!
Brigade should not charge if: Enemy has either been spotted on or chased to Western side of central river.
Break off when: To much depends on us, fight to the death!

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 13, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The only tweak to those I'd consider is maybe compact the cav somewhat and leave the MG/AH in the south facing outskirts to cover your run down the road with orders to move to join you if the sweep is clear or to move up to firing range if you get into combat.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I agree. Maybe with one MG on the northern edge of the forest facing the road to Steth, to fire on any BEF travelling from Ford D?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh and i'd like to request that the spotter plane be held for when we try advance on the fords, scouting any troops/entrenchments/barbed wire etc will be very valuble before any assault.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm not officially new corps commander yet, to my knowledge, but I can certainly put this down as a request to belay the scout plane order Cryo made.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I don't think I ever actually gave an order for it to go up. If I did, consider it canceled, and all my responsibilities delegated to Flesnolk until the new commander is officially selected.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'm happy with Fles being Corps commander and nobody else seems to want the job as far as I can tell.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i figured the euros should have a chance to raise the issue if they wanted, but at this point it seems like a fait accompli

so let's look at the next domino in that line, then. who's taking command of the saxon infantry division? and if that commander currently has another responsibility, who's taking over for them?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Alternative version: http://i.imgur.com/3w8ptkA.png

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also i found out that the german term for the glorious oyster toadfish (Opsanus tau) is Austern-Krötenfisch. that sounds like a good aristocratic name although i imagine if i spoke more than zero german it immediately wouldn't sound that way any more. do saxons and bavarians use 'von' to signify aristocracy?

also ill do some fucken measurements today

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is it too late to join the Germans as a non commanding staff officer?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Is it too late to join the Germans as a non commanding staff officer?

it is not! you have now joined the germans as a non commanding staff officer.

did we make a new roll20 since the one linked on the first page of this thread?

also here's a google spreadsheet you can put your name on if you like
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fIiDlr98ikp7WbSQJMgn1QEUIer5UoWh-G0eEFAD_d8/edit#gid=0

wilkommen!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'll tag on as an observer from Austria-Hungary, it should be interesting watching one side of this. I'm already ashamed at your lack of aristocratic traditions and timid defeatism by not just marching straight to your objective. :v: Conrad von Hötzendorf will be most displeased by my report.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 11, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, there's been a new R20 war room, hope this link works: https://app.roll20.net/editor/setcampaign/2072499

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

also i found out that the german term for the glorious oyster toadfish (Opsanus tau) is Austern-Krötenfisch. that sounds like a good aristocratic name although i imagine if i spoke more than zero german it immediately wouldn't sound that way any more. do saxons and bavarians use 'von' to signify aristocracy?

I have been speaking German for more than 30 years and von Austern-Krötenfisch is the most amazing name I've ever heard.

The "von" is used the same way in all of Germany.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Counterpoint: von Hötzendorf was terrible at his job.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, there's been a new R20 war room, hope this link works: https://app.roll20.net/editor/setcampaign/2072499

Following that link just says "Unauthorized -- Your Session to Access This Game Has Expired."

e: Working link: https://app.roll20.net/join/2072499/xBy_pQ

Added Space fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 11, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

The Sandman posted:

2nd Cavalry Orders

Standing Orders:

Yo you still need a map.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Added Space posted:

Following that link just says "Unauthorized -- Your Session to Access This Game Has Expired."

e: Working link: https://app.roll20.net/join/2072499/xBy_pQ

Confirming that this works. If you are a new General click this link {:|

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 11, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
aphid_licker has expressed interest in taking over the Saxons for me so I can move up to corps. Anyone else sticking their hand up?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i just edited the spreadsheet to reflect the above. that's not meant to end discussion, if anybody wants to talk about who's commanding what please feel free and edit the spreadsheet yourself, or let me know and i'll do it

aphid_licker posted:

I have been speaking German for more than 30 years and von Austern-Krötenfisch is the most amazing name I've ever heard.

The "von" is used the same way in all of Germany.

nice~

according to the vague impression i've gotten german aristocrats have like a half dozen first names including maria for some reason so my rp name is now

Siegfried Hermann Maria Ferdinand Matthias von Austern-Krötenfisch

or something

still working on the map. i came up with a silly system for automating this

i use imagej to convert the image to binary, crop to the blob of cover in question, calculate a distance map, then apply the following code to pull the appropriate distance rings out of the distance map:
code:
if(abs(v-8*40)<10) v=999999; if(abs(v-12*40)<10) v=888888; if(abs(v-18*40)<10) v=777777; if(v<777777) v=0
and then i save that, load it up in gimp as a layer, and add it to a layer containing all the concentric rings, verifying the distances with the measure tool

then once i've got all the blobs ringed, i'll change the colors of the three rings using the color select tool

i should probably just get qgis or something and do a buffer, but whatever, if i ever find myself needing to use the NIH's favorite image editor for some reason i'll have a head start

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ok so

Flesnolk posted:

Oh, speaking of traps! Staff officers, get us some number crunching on visual and weapon ranges from all the forests, especially Taillis Douche and Bois de Blob. Machine guns, rifles, artillery, we need to know how safe the crossings are if they have men waiting for us.

i'll start with firing ranges. working off of these bits of trin ruleposts:

Trin Tragula posted:

The base firing ranges are as follows.

quote:

Rifle Companies (infantry/cavalry): 8"
*Machine-Guns: 12" (but see below)
Mortars: 12"
Artillery: 18"

Machine Guns may fire through friendly units. If they are in a Wood or Trench and in base-to-base contact with an Infantry or Cavalry company; or in a Town and in base-to-base contact with a company in the Outskirts, their firing range is calculated from the company they are in contact with.

Trin Tragula posted:

Your artillery may still use direct fire according to the rules, and is still subject to the rules about limbering and unlimbering. However, it may also use indirect fire when directed to do so. Indirect fire range is currently 40".

so we've got 8" for rifles, 12" for unmodified machine guns* and mortars, 18" for direct and ordered artillery fire (and any other types that aren't indirect), and 40" for indirect artillery fire. Here's 8", 12", and 18" rings:

here's the map with all the forests and every city given 8", 12", and 16" rings around them:

i have it in bigger size but that's hard to upload, and i suspect you might want me to simplify the situation with the little cities around effyaders. i've got all the blobs' rings saved separately so i can remake the image pretty easy.

any thoughts? when we get rings you like, i can give somebody just the rings layer and they can put it on r20, if desired. if the rings are too thick i guess that'll take a little more time to fix

there's also the 40" indirect ranges and the 'billy bonus' MG story. let me know if you can think of a good way to depict that. the map above is definitely in need of simplification, not complication

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Make a new map for specifically the indirect artillery ranges. As for billy bonus, use your best judgement.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'm gonna get on the indirect arty map shortly. as for billy bonus, i think i can make a larger point here:

the lines i draw are not gospel. trin has repeatedly and directly warned me not to take specific inch measurements as a 'this unit will get here when you think they will' guarantee, and i assume that extends to firing distances, at least to some degree.

in that spirit, if you want to defend against a 'billy bonus' enemy MG attacking you, please mentally or in-an-image-editor-or-roll20-ly add a standard chit's 50 pixels of width (1.25") to the 12" radius arcs on the map, and consider adding some safety margin if you can afford it (since you've got to balance against the possibility of your moves not getting you exactly where you want and such - your job isnt as easy as mine!). there's no need for an extra dashed and dotted 13.25" line on that atrocity of a map

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i found the 40" contours from each forest, town, farm, ford, bridge and major intersection in the map and it came out like this:

i've got sublayers. i'll figure out how to present it so it's readable tomorrow; a couple different pictures for the different categories of map element, different colors, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
drat those are some trippy maps.

oystertoadfish posted:

Austern-Krötenfish is a literal translation of the English, Auster=Oyster, Kröte=Toad and, well, Fisch=Fish :v:

Also thanks for the banner, I'll try and see if I can come up with a tagline at some point.

Also also German and French are my native languages so if you want something translated, feel free to shoot me a PM or something.

• Locked thread