Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

They changed the name to something dumb, but there are still Orcs in AoS. They've ene expanded the Orc range in AoS. And Age of Sigmar was a totally new game. The rumor is that there will be a new faction in Warhammer 40k, not that Warhammer 40k is going away

Ironjawz are a totally separate range from the old school fantasy orcs dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

goose willis posted:

What's a good source of generic space marine models? Just want some extra dudes to fill out squads with. Don't care if they're pre-assembled, but would like them not painted.

Is it the price point that you're not happy with? Because thanks to killteam and two HH box sets eBay is flooded with 10 man squads for under $25.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Orks are probably the second most iconic thing in 40k after space marines. They are the go-to baddy in every 40k video game I can think of.

So yeah GW is probably dumb enough to squat them

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is it the price point that you're not happy with? Because thanks to killteam and two HH box sets eBay is flooded with 10 man squads for under $25.

Yeah, I just want a bunch of dudes in power armor to test out color schemes on.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Why would they squat orks less than a year after TBA

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

chutche2 posted:

Because not as many people play them as other armies.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

chutche2 posted:

a year after To Be Announced?

Am I missing the meaning of an acronym?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Floppychop posted:

a year after To Be Announced?

Am I missing the meaning of an acronym?

The beast arises

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Because not as many people play them as other armies.

Almost like people don't want to play an army that GW continually shits on rule-wise.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Does anybody here even play any of the NPC factions? They don't really matter to the greater story of the Imperium imo

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Guy Goodbody posted:

And Age of Sigmar was a totally new game.

Oh my sweet summer child.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Floppychop posted:

Almost like people don't want to play an army that GW continually shits on rule-wise.

Just ask the 'nid players.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Floppychop posted:

It's almost like they got rid of an entire game system after years of decreasing model count in a box while increasing the total cost of said box.

At the end of the day, GW squats lines that don't sell well, but they don't look too hard as to why that's the case.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Picked up a tac squad box to fiddle with while my BoP and BaC marines arrive.

Man. These aren't as impressive as I thought they'd be. Why are space marines the same size as my guardsmen and smaller than my commissar?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hixson posted:

Does anybody here even play any of the NPC factions? They don't really matter to the greater story of the Imperium imo

Yes.

Orks will grind out the universe given enough time.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

chutche2 posted:

Man. These aren't as impressive as I thought they'd be. Why are space marines the same size as my guardsmen and smaller than my commissar?

If the rumors are true they're releasing what is, effectively, a true scale marine kit.

Gotta say, not a big fan of the whole vat-grown thing. Sigmarines didn't need less individual personality and less ways for us mere mortals to personally identify with our little space barbies.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

chutche2 posted:

Legacy reasons mostly. In the early days, neither the rules nor the background of marines were nearly as impressive, and the models weren't pretenting to be hulking superman. So marines were the same height as everything else, and they've stayed that way. The size has gradually crept up, but never enough to match the stories.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

GreenMarine posted:

That aside, most of us derive a bunch of fun from sitting at home alone painting our space mans. That isn't going to change.

Tell that to my Skaven.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Broken Record Talk posted:

No. If he wanted to do that, he would have started a red Space Marines army, instead of Blood Angels one. If things are going to get squatted, it should be new armies with relatively minor amounts of history, not ones that have been around since (or close to) the very beginning.

I started a Blood Angels army because I liked their fluff, and I liked their playstyle. I still play them, despite their lack of tabletop strength, because I like their fluff, and I like their playstyle. If they were to get mashed in with other marines, and lose their "specialness" I would not bother to play them. I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment.

But you can still paint your models as Blood Angels and read all the fluff and BL books? I'm not suggesting a hardcore, minimalist codex. As somebody suggested, maybe have a few chapter specific traits that lets you use your old models in the new framework? Or a list of common special units, where different chapters have different access?.
I know where you are coming from, I was in the process of building a Grey Knight army when all this started to happene, and that's put on hold. I would vastly prefer to lose that to a better, balanced and more streamlined game than to continue with the current mess. That will, of course not happen.

Hamshot posted:

If the rumors are true they're releasing what is, effectively, a true scale marine kit.
Gotta say, not a big fan of the whole vat-grown thing. Sigmarines didn't need less individual personality and less ways for us mere mortals to personally identify with our little space barbies.

Yeah they could have done that in a different way. Just reboot the whole thing, marines are now truescale with better stats and old marine models are normal, elite humans in power armour. Then it also makes sense to have 1000 marines in a chapter.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

panascope posted:

I can't believe you pmed me to say that you've started an Age of Sigmar army.

that was a euphemism about my bowel movements

I meant to PM that to my doctor I am very sorry

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

goose willis posted:

I think I've found a totally rad source of cheap SPAAAACE MARIIIIINES

There was some Italian company that made these totally 80s space marine knockoffs:

You get five dudes per box, one of which has no helmet but DOES come with cool hair and shades and the other four dudes are just dudes with power armor and big guns, and there is no variation in pose but you can give some of them heavier weapons

Surprisingly, they paint pretty well, and I'm looking forwards to making some goofy squads of these fucks:

Those guys are cool, I have a few squads myself I picked up super cheap decades ago :)

EM4 Minis still sells them too - http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Science_Fiction.html

---

Re 'unique weapon options in squads' for BA and DA, simply make them available to regular Marines. That straight up solves the 'but it'd be too complicated to restrict the weapons to specific chapters' problem.

There's no reason why regular Tac Marine squads shouldn't be able to take Heavy Flamers. In fact it makes more sense for Salamanders with their Fire theme than it ever did for BA with their 'GW wanted to put something different in the squad to make people buy the new box'. Similarly, just allow Assault Squads to take 2 weapons from the Special list. Flamers, Meltas, Plasma, Grav, whatever.

Re Special Characters, just cull them all down to one or two per chapter including the Ultras. Each one gets it's Chapter Master or a prominent Captain and one 'unique' one like Chronos or Tellion.

TBF even Space Wolves can be mostly represented by the main SM Book. They only have a handful of actually unique units, their special rules can be made into Chapter Tactics, and what's left is essentially giving them Assault Tactical and Devastator squads with different sizes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I'm skeptical, but this is apparently a leaked pic of an Ubermarine.

I'd say this is plausible, just because I don't recognize any of the bits.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I don't recognise any part of that. It could be legit.

SIIIGGMMARRIINESSS

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm actually unable to place any part of that. The head looks maybe like one of those Cadian heads without the helmet (but I don't think so). But the weapons, the legs, the left arm, the chestplate, the backpack vents...

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Looking forward to Codex: Movie Marines mk 2.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Eurgh I don't see why people are making a big deal out of that crap on BOLS. Anyone could have guessed marines 2.0 with complete laser guided accuracy. It doesn't mean the rest of it is true. :rolleyes:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I wasn't sure about Marines 2.0 until Hastings confirmed it. Any rumour being confirmed by him basically means it's happening, I can't think of any occasions of him being completely wrong.

Anyway, if that model's legit, I'm alright with them. I like the long-rifle bolter design.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

That is a really neat looking model. I would be fine with the Marines going true scale going forward. It might be annoying that my 15 year old models wouldn't fit in as easily, but as long as they keep making the same size 30k guys it won't effect me.

It is the fluff focusing on these guys exclusively going forward. We all see how much non Space Marine factors get featured.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Plastic Mk III marines and fancy termies are up for pre-order, for those interested in 30k.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I actually like them, and it doesn't look like it'll be too hard to carve off the eagle on the chestplate to replace with something cooler (like studs or Cacharadon markings).

I probably won't buy any more marines for a few months until I know what's happening with them though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I am excited for bigger space marines

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Moola posted:

I am excited for bigger space marines

Think how much bigger their skeletons will be.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well I've put that pic on the hellscape that is dakka.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Pic confirmed real. Regional manager here asked our group to remove it from our facebook page.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I actually like how simplistic it is compared to a lot of recent GW models.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The calf pieces are a noticeably different shade of plastic, for what it is worth.

But yeah, blah blah blah marines blah blah blah better marines blah.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

At this point I'll point out that Marine is on a 32mm base, and ask what marine legs that look like that can be put in a normal, standing stance and still easily reach from one side of a 32mm base to the other?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I think what I like most about that model is how the guardsman next to him is visibly freaking the gently caress out about this gigantic space murderer waving two guns around like a lunatic. You and me both, little dude.

I like the model, even if I'm wary of the fluff justification for it - marines should tower over normal humans and be frightening, and it doesn't look like they hosed with the existing aesthetic too much, just scaled it up and added some detail here and there, without messing up the iconic power armor silhouette with too much surface detail or dangly bits.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Thundercloud posted:

Well I've put that pic on the hellscape that is dakka.

The way these idiots go at each other will never not be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Fine. Let's say that the green stuff(just happening to be visible in multiple different spots where it's obvious something has been smoothed out with green stuff...something GW doesn't do anymore, since they do CAD sculpts rather than hand sculpts) is really just compression artefacts.

Explain the two different colored bits of plastic? The legs themselves are one color, the feet are another. And if you look close, you can actually see the sheen from a glue join on the knee with the "stormcast greave" bit where it looks like someone shaved the 'arch' from another kit and attached it to this model.
Explain the fact that the boltgun is the one from the Devastator Sergeant, attached to the back of a bolt pistol with the revolver magazine from the Techpriest Dominus' Luminagen Pistol mashed on top of it?
The forearm holding the Bolt Pistol is the Clavis from a Deathwatch Watch Master. I built several of them and know that bit well. They removed the dataspike bit and added a pistol hand in lieu of the standard arm.
Also, look at the torso. It appears to be part of a Centurion model(specifically torso part #6), cut down and mated to something else for the gorget. You can also again see what appears to be green stuff cabling underneath of it.
The pack looks to be from a Mark IV plastic.

And really, the only thing he blacks out is whatever's mounted on the backpack?

Call it whatever you want, I'm calling bull.

• Locked thread