Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aerdan posted:

Maybe have roads be constructed one hex per turn between all cities (rather than just intra-civ cities) as a natural thing rather than as a unit-driven thing.

That might be okay. I think the only real flaw with this is that roads tend to have a major strategic value and, in the context of the game, were historically an opportunity cost thing versus your workers improving tiles. If your roads get built automatically/naturally, it makes it much easier to mount a defense. Like, they had some economic value in Civ 4 (and a huge amount in 5 thanks to city connections), but roads are absolutely a logistical improvement that should probably have some kind of cost associated with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That doesn't sound very interactive though. What's the point in having them at all if there's no decisions to make? What does it add to the game?

If prefer to see the trade route system as a fun minigame, where you have to factor in various trade-offs into your overall strategy. I think Civ 5 came close (though the science and faith bleeds were too negligible to give a poo poo about) but the route renewal was tedious and took the fun away.

I agree. If anything, I would love even MORE control and ways to interact with trade, like allowing me to design routes between more than two cities for bigger bonuses.

What needs to go away, and what people actually complain about, is not the complexity, but the fiddliness. Having to build each trader individually, replace them manually when they are pillaged, and re-establish each route every twenty turns offers no depth, just frustration.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I hate that roads are tied to trade routes. It means I'm forced to choose between building roads between my cities, or having profitable (international) trade routes. And the pathing system the game uses is dumb - a trader will build a road directly to another city when it could have passed through a city half way between by just adjusting the route slightly. You end up in the industrial era and most of your cities still don't have road connections.

It's one of the reasons I really really like playing as Rome.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

prefect posted:

I was also having this very same problem, but it stopped happening when I updated the CQUI nightly build with a newer version and started a new game.

I uninstalled CQUI (used the zip off their github) and just subscribed to it in the workshop. That seems to fix it for me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Finished my game on Kongo last night and oh my god that great work bonus is magically stupid. Found Kandy on turn 6, and then found a relic in a goody hut on turn 8 and things just kinda got crazy from there. By the end of the game I had 6 relics in my capital (had room for 9 thanks to the wonder mod putting relic slots in Cristo Redentor and Chitzen Itza) and was mopping the map for artifacts...with only a couple of art museums for the artists with sculptures. If they didn't have a sculpture I either passed or accepted and then deleted the artist. No use keeping them around. By the time I won my capital was size 22 and still growing.

Oh yeah, for those that haven't done a Kongo run, did you know that the theming bonus applies to ALL of the resources the great works/artifacts give you? So a themed museum full of artifacts is worth 12 food, 12 production AND 24 gold on top of the culture and tourism for Kongo.

Also apparently the game freaks out a bit and refuses to let you win a non-space-race victory on the same turn you launch a space-race piece. I had 193/189 tourists needed but the game didn't give me a victory screen until I advanced the turn again. I suspect it's something to do with that launch movie.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I hate that roads are tied to trade routes. It means I'm forced to choose between building roads between my cities, or having profitable (international) trade routes.

All trade routes are profitable. Many people hate this game's meaningful choices, so you are in good company.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I hate that roads are tied to trade routes. It means I'm forced to choose between building roads between my cities, or having profitable (international) trade routes.

It's a very organic gameplay choice. The fact that replacing a pillaged route means that the road construction has to restart from the very beginning is a lovely one, but other than that I can't see how it is a different choice than choosing between a trade route or an archer, for example.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
So has anybody been trying the later era starts? Back in V I preferred the Classical Era start as Byzantium, but they don't seem as useful for the current civs in 6.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Rexides posted:

It's a very organic gameplay choice. The fact that replacing a pillaged route means that the road construction has to restart from the very beginning is a lovely one, but other than that I can't see how it is a different choice than choosing between a trade route or an archer, for example.

Builders can actually repair damaged roads. Unless you meant the trader itself needed to be replaced, which is true.

I might have gotten confused because the game often refers to roads as "routes".

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 11, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does anybody ever take the naval traditions civic? Both its civic cards are pretty useless. I do it for the one envoy it gives me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm on turn 328 of a game, and India has been ahead of me in science the whole time. They've got like 259 right now. Then I get a report that says they just researched Gunpowder. Like, what.

Without saying what speed you're on this is totally meaningless, that sounds really good to me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Without saying what speed you're on this is totally meaningless, that sounds really good to me.

Standard, king difficulty.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 11, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

One thing trade routes should be changed to do is reduce the yield depensing on existing connections to that city.

As in, I can't have 10 +10 gold routes to Jakarta because each one above the original has a reduced yield as trade is not literally pulling money from a magic tree and there should be a finite limit to how much you can extract from the other side.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does anybody ever take the naval traditions civic? Both its civic cards are pretty useless. I do it for the one envoy it gives me.

I do because one of my mods attaches a certain effect to it.

Alkydere posted:

Finished my game on Kongo last night and oh my god that great work bonus is magically stupid. Found Kandy on turn 6, and then found a relic in a goody hut on turn 8 and things just kinda got crazy from there. By the end of the game I had 6 relics in my capital (had room for 9 thanks to the wonder mod putting relic slots in Cristo Redentor and Chitzen Itza) and was mopping the map for artifacts...with only a couple of art museums for the artists with sculptures. If they didn't have a sculpture I either passed or accepted and then deleted the artist. No use keeping them around. By the time I won my capital was size 22 and still growing.

Oh yeah, for those that haven't done a Kongo run, did you know that the theming bonus applies to ALL of the resources the great works/artifacts give you? So a themed museum full of artifacts is worth 12 food, 12 production AND 24 gold on top of the culture and tourism for Kongo.

Also apparently the game freaks out a bit and refuses to let you win a non-space-race victory on the same turn you launch a space-race piece. I had 193/189 tourists needed but the game didn't give me a victory screen until I advanced the turn again. I suspect it's something to do with that launch movie.

Kongo is really crazy as a Civ for a cultural victory. Double Merchant/Culture GPs? drat.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 12, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

I hate that roads are tied to trade routes. It means I'm forced to choose between building roads between my cities, or having profitable (international) trade routes. And the pathing system the game uses is dumb - a trader will build a road directly to another city when it could have passed through a city half way between by just adjusting the route slightly. You end up in the industrial era and most of your cities still don't have road connections.

It's one of the reasons I really really like playing as Rome.

Same. I'd be fine with roads giving a trader a bonus to their yield which makes sense. But tying it to trading sucks.

I'd also hate building roads tile by tile with a builder. I say either just let a builder use all their charges to automate building a road from one city to another a tile at a turn. So basically create a builder in City A and choose "Build Road" where it'll give you the option of cities and you pick one and it gets to work.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magil Zeal posted:

Kongo is really crazy as a Civ for a cultural victory. Double Merchant/Culture GPs? drat.

They're kinda hard-coded so that it's hard to win in any way besides culture. You're gonna want to stack those artifact bonuses like mad for anything and when you do you start making GBS threads out tourism anyways.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Alkydere posted:

They're kinda hard-coded so that it's hard to win in any way besides culture. You're gonna want to stack those artifact bonuses like mad for anything and when you do you start making GBS threads out tourism anyways.

Kongo's really no less capable of pursuing a science victory than any other Civ, and while it has no military-based advantages it's in no other way discouraged from a domination victory. It's certainly got an extreme push towards a culture victory because of its insane bonuses in that area, but it's not strictly deficient in any area except religion.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So I've been away for a while. Is there a definitive list of mods/DLC that people are playing with no? Anything that makes AI approach a challenge?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So I've been away for a while. Is there a definitive list of mods/DLC that people are playing with no? Anything that makes AI approach a challenge?

AI is actually a bit more competent in the latest patch, and if you want more AI+ is on the Steam Workshop now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Kongo's really no less capable of pursuing a science victory than any other Civ, and while it has no military-based advantages it's in no other way discouraged from a domination victory. It's certainly got an extreme push towards a culture victory because of its insane bonuses in that area, but it's not strictly deficient in any area except religion.

Well, yeah. I'm just saying that no matter what victory you're going for you're gonna hunger for those museum bonuses because oh god, 6/6/12 or 12/12/24 f/p/gold in your cities is amazing no matter what victory condition you're going for, which means you're also spitting out that tourism as well. At which point if there's not someone else going for culture victory, or you haven't turned off cultural victory, you kinda gotta rush before you win. Especially if you've got a handful of wonders.

Also love that between their artifact bonus and their unique neighborhood their cities grow HUGE. My capital was at size 22 and still growing when I won.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 13, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is the capital the only place where I can put relics as Kongo? That and I guess there's that one merchant great person who makes a bank hold any great work.

e: oh theres wonders too

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 13, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Am I wrong in thinking that there aren't many Civs that you'd pick just for a science victory? Kind of wish some were more geared toward that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Niwrad posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that there aren't many Civs that you'd pick just for a science victory? Kind of wish some were more geared toward that.

As a general rule in 4X games, civs with science bonuses tend to be overpowered. I'm sure we'll get a few eventually, Babylon didn't hit Civ5 until DLC.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Well Arabia has its science bonus from religion, and Babylon has its ziggurat. But no, there's really no hard science based civ. I'd honestly suggest anyone that does best expanding. Rome, Australia, etc. anyone that's geared to big, sprawling civs (and maybe eating a neighbor or two) will give you more room for more science districts.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Cythereal posted:

As a general rule in 4X games, civs with science bonuses tend to be overpowered. I'm sure we'll get a few eventually, Babylon didn't hit Civ5 until DLC.

Babylon was there at release, it was pre-order bonus.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I like to get science victories with Kongo. Because you're not even _allowed_ to build religious stuff, there's one less district type to distract me from putting campuses everywhere.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Niwrad posted:

Cant you just play a military heavy side, absorb the religious and science civs, neuter the rest of the civs, and complete any victory yourself? Or will the AI still have the lead after that?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
3 turns into the game: Harold denounces you for having a weak navy.

Later I build a single caravel: "A strong navy... that's a beautiful sight."

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

That was obviously a very strong caravel. Excellent work.

This game is so wacky, but I am still enjoying starting a new game and playing until I get bored, over and over.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FlyTB20C posted:

That was obviously a very strong caravel. Excellent work.

This game is so wacky, but I am still enjoying starting a new game and playing until I get bored, over and over.

Yeah, same. That wonderful wonders mod people talked about earlier is fun too.

e: it died like ten turns later and he denounces me again.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 13, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Met Cleopatra on emperor turn 6. Turn 9 denounces me for being weak. Ya well you get a head start with a bunch of crap you big jerk! :argh:

Turn 15 war. I take 2 cities and now she hates me even more. :fuckoff:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
playing Australia with too many Citystaates and civs is hilarious, just wait for wardecs, enjoy your free production bonus and Liberate all the towns.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tahirovic posted:

playing Australia with too many Citystaates and civs is hilarious, just wait for wardecs, enjoy your free production bonus and Liberate all the towns.

It is very nice of a civ to declare war on me when they're on the other side of the map so I can get free production.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

SHISHKABOB posted:

It is very nice of a civ to declare war on me when they're on the other side of the map so I can get free production.

And they will offer you their entire treasury for peace in 20 turns.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I think the Mac patch just started downloading!!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

oh good

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Tell me about it.

Edit: Turns taken. Let's do this poo poo.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 14, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Peas and Rice posted:

Confirmed, but no Aussie DLC yet; maybe that'll be in a day or two.

EDIT: No, I do have the DLC, Steam is just being a butt. Weird.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 14, 2017

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Tell me about it.

Edit: Turns taken. Let's do this poo poo.

Are we back in business? Great. I almost forgot about this game. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

...No, Aspyr just hosed up.