Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I doubt I'll ever bother with grinding covenants for achievements, but if I do, do you need to have every pyromancy on one character, or can they be spread across characters?

Also, I just beat the game with a pyromancer, which I switched to because I couldn't get into the combat after coming from Bloodborne. I heard in the BB thread that Nameless King is considered to be the hardest boss in any of the souls games, but it took me less than 15 tries, whereas I went probably 40+ for Orphan of Kos. I'm guessing it's harder when trying with a melee character, which I've decided to do and see how far I get before getting sick of combat again.

I've decided to try out a Hollow build, but what weapon should I use until I can infuse with Hollow? I'm completely out of the loop on weapons since I just stuck with long sword/broad sword on my pyromancer. I'm liking the starting battle axe weapon that came with my warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Listerine posted:

I doubt I'll ever bother with grinding covenants for achievements, but if I do, do you need to have every pyromancy on one character, or can they be spread across characters?

One character.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Listerine posted:

Also, I just beat the game with a pyromancer, which I switched to because I couldn't get into the combat after coming from Bloodborne. I heard in the BB thread that Nameless King is considered to be the hardest boss in any of the souls games, but it took me less than 15 tries, whereas I went probably 40+ for Orphan of Kos. I'm guessing it's harder when trying with a melee character, which I've decided to do and see how far I get before getting sick of combat again.

I've decided to try out a Hollow build, but what weapon should I use until I can infuse with Hollow? I'm completely out of the loop on weapons since I just stuck with long sword/broad sword on my pyromancer. I'm liking the starting battle axe weapon that came with my warrior.

anri's sword scales off luck and has hp regen. or just go dex until you can hollow infuse

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Listerine posted:

The Barbed Straight Sword is a good pick early on. Dependable, easily-wielded, and takes the infusion to Hollow like a champ thanks to its innate bleed. Really, any weapon with innate bleed is a good pick. Axes generally don't get much out of Hollow infusions, unfortunately, to the point where the Millwood Axe will be better Heavy than Hollow, even with 40 STR/LCK. Hollow is a real oddball of an infusion.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 11, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I reinstalled the PC version of Dark Souls last month because I wanted to buy Nioh, and I wanted to give the game another try and see if I was any good at Souls-style games. I ended up picking up Nioh, and I really like it so far, so I've considered trying to work my way through the Dark Souls series (especially since DS2 is pretty cheap for PS4). So far, though, I still feel like I'm bouncing off of Dark Souls 1.

I've managed to make it up to the Depths boss (the Gaping Dragon), but I haven't managed to beat him yet. I got him down to a little above 1/2 health before I died again. I reverse hollowed and tried to find the summon signs outside the boss area, but I couldn't find them. I was able to summon Solaire for the gargoyle fight (which is how I was able to get past it), but he died during the fight, and I don't know if that removes him from the game. I think I should also have the other guy who helps you out available as well, but I couldn't find any summons signs. It's possible I'm looking in the wrong place.

I'll say that I started as the Knight, and I'm up to Level 25. I've upgraded the Knight Armor a little bit, but the impression I've got from various sources is that the Knight Armor is a hindrance, since it prevents you from rolling properly. Loadout wise, I've taken to using the Halberd and Knight Shield. I got the Drake Sword as well. I got the Pyromancy Fireball, which so far works well for getting rid of slimes quickly

I am using DSFix. I fiddled with a couple of setting (texture override and intro logo skip) but I've toggled them off. However, I can't tell if it's affected my connection to the online component. I was getting orange soapstone messages, but I haven't found any in the Depths, and going back to the places I've been before, they seem to have disappeared.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You're just looking in the wrong places, but NPC summons are worse than useless for Gaping Dragon. Summoning boosts his already massive HP and NPCs can't deal with his move set and just get crushed. Instead, play keep away for a bit and really learn his moves. Once you have a handle on Gaping Dragon's behavior he's actually one of the easiest bosses in the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Max Wilco posted:

So I reinstalled the PC version of Dark Souls last month because I wanted to buy Nioh, and I wanted to give the game another try and see if I was any good at Souls-style games. I ended up picking up Nioh, and I really like it so far, so I've considered trying to work my way through the Dark Souls series (especially since DS2 is pretty cheap for PS4). So far, though, I still feel like I'm bouncing off of Dark Souls 1.

I've managed to make it up to the Depths boss (the Gaping Dragon), but I haven't managed to beat him yet. I got him down to a little above 1/2 health before I died again. I reverse hollowed and tried to find the summon signs outside the boss area, but I couldn't find them. I was able to summon Solaire for the gargoyle fight (which is how I was able to get past it), but he died during the fight, and I don't know if that removes him from the game. I think I should also have the other guy who helps you out available as well, but I couldn't find any summons signs. It's possible I'm looking in the wrong place.

I'll say that I started as the Knight, and I'm up to Level 25. I've upgraded the Knight Armor a little bit, but the impression I've got from various sources is that the Knight Armor is a hindrance, since it prevents you from rolling properly. Loadout wise, I've taken to using the Halberd and Knight Shield. I got the Drake Sword as well. I got the Pyromancy Fireball, which so far works well for getting rid of slimes quickly

I am using DSFix. I fiddled with a couple of setting (texture override and intro logo skip) but I've toggled them off. However, I can't tell if it's affected my connection to the online component. I was getting orange soapstone messages, but I haven't found any in the Depths, and going back to the places I've been before, they seem to have disappeared.

NPC summons dying doesn't affect the characters. Solaire and possibly Lautrec are available for the Gaping Dragon, but generally not worth it since they'll just rush in and get destroyed leaving you fighting a stronger boss by yourself.

Don't upgrade armor unless you are content with the upgrade level of your weapons and shields. Upgraded armor can be a good thing, but in general it's much more important to be doing more damage than it is to be resisting some of the damage you receive.

Dsfix shouldn't break online, but DS1's online component behaves somewhat oddly on its own. If you're worried about connectivity I recommend getting Wulf's Dark Souls Connectivity Mod -- you can still find other players to summon in a lot of areas with this.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Npc summon dying does effect characters but only in dark souls 2 side quest stuff. No worries in ds1, you can summon over and over.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Listerine posted:

NK is super weak to fire

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Listerine posted:

I heard in the BB thread that Nameless King is considered to be the hardest boss in any of the souls games, but it took me less than 15 tries, whereas I went probably 40+ for Orphan of Kos. I'm guessing it's harder when trying with a melee character, which I've decided to do and see how far I get before getting sick of combat again.

Same. Orphan took me more than 40 tries and NK was pretty easy (5 tries or so solo w/ sorcerer).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Orphan is definately harder than NK for me too. Sure, for NK I just pack a Lothric Knight shield and block like 89% lightning damage and poke him to death while in Orphan you can only dodge perfectly or you die.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Which is all really funny for me cause I one shotted the orphan while a quarter drunk. Very fuckin edge of the seat the entire time, no vials left and a sliver of health.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bogart posted:

Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

This is what I've heard about the Souls games; they've more fun/active if you don't use a shield, but I still find myself falling back on it. Like I said, it feels like the Knight Armor makes the rolling slower, and I'm never sure where to dodge to avoid boss attacks. Blocking with the shield feels safer, and I find it helps to get behind enemies and do a back-stab.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Don't feel bad about using a shield, they're fine. Just note that when you get to dark souls 2, the way it's balanced will kind of push you away from shields and more toward dodging after awhile, but you can comfortably block most things in dark souls 1.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Shields in 1 are rely strong. In 2 they're really hard to rely on, and 3 pulls them up a bit but no where near old greatshield of artorus shenigans.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Most of the time in all three DS games I have shields that give passive bonuses on my back. NK is a boss that pushes me to use a shield due to the weird timing (and well, it makes trivial some attacks).

Shields are useful but abusing them sometimes lead to death due to stamina drain. They're like Hicks' shotgun in Aliens, I always like to have one handy, just in case.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Shields are important if not just for parrying. I know the Caestus works fine but a flubbed parry with that will drain all your stamina and leave you in a bad place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo parrying isn't even worth trying outside of spamming it in PVP in this game (and 2), the timing is just weird.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

imo parrying isn't even worth trying outside of spamming it in PVP in this game (and 2), the timing is just weird.

The trick is that you can guaranteed-parry a lot of weapons if you block a certain amount of hits and then hit parry (usually around the 2nd or 3rd hit). Anyone who tries spamming R1 to try and break your shield down will end up with a nasty surprise.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Parrying is mostly fine for random undead guys and skeletons and probably the best way to deal with pontiff knights and Lothric knights, but thralls must have been designed with loving over parry fishers in mind and most endgame enemies punish failed parries so hard it pretty much stops being viable. In 2 it's even less viable in the early game because there's such a huge startup for it, but in this game I think it's useful to be able to parry up until Dancer more or less.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Parrying is super useful against Champion Gundyr. Especially on low level runs. A lot of his moves have big wind ups.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Is this the Dark Souls 2 thread?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yes

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Anyone bored enough to come red sign for me so I can farm Shackles? I am that one pyro away from the cheevo.

On PS4

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Shields in 1 are rely strong. In 2 they're really hard to rely on, and 3 pulls them up a bit but no where near old greatshield of artorus shenigans.

Again, 2 is the best for greatshields due to jumping attacks :colbert:

many days ruined on the Iron Keep bridge with a shield to plank with

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Weeping Wound posted:

Again, 2 is the best for greatshields due to jumping attacks :colbert:

many days ruined on the Iron Keep bridge with a shield to plank with

Also tower shield and mace is pretty much the closest thing that DS2 has to an easy mode.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Catfishenfuego posted:

Also tower shield and mace is pretty much the closest thing that DS2 has to an easy mode.

Did they make magic harder? I only used it in DS1 but it was basically easy mode. You could just cast a few Soul Spears and destroy any boss.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Elman posted:

Did they make magic harder? I only used it in DS1 but it was basically easy mode. You could just cast a few Soul Spears and destroy any boss.

They nerfed magic into the GROUND. Poor offensive miracles never recovered :911:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Elman posted:

theyve been nerfing magic since demons souls. though id argue magic was weaker in 2. magic still makes the game a joke if you know when to change elements though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Npc summon dying does effect characters but only in dark souls 2 side quest stuff. No worries in ds1, you can summon over and over.

There are a handful of minor examples like this in DS3, specifically Cuculus for Old Demon King and Yuria for Soul of Cinder. Though in Yuria's case you can still get the same reward - plus ashes so you can keep buying her stuff - by killing her. The Spotted Whip from Cuculus can only be obtained this way, though (Cornyx's set can be gained by killing him).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Not like the Spotted Whip is worth a drat given the state of poison in this game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sorcery is fine in dark souls 3, although something like half the available arsenal is going to be way less useful than just throwing great heavy soul arrows at people, which is disappointing. It's fine in dark souls 2 as well until you get to the DLC, which is horribly balanced and tells a huge number of player builds to gently caress right off for no reason.

Vil posted:

There are a handful of minor examples like this in DS3, specifically Cuculus for Old Demon King and Yuria for Soul of Cinder. Though in Yuria's case you can still get the same reward - plus ashes so you can keep buying her stuff - by killing her. The Spotted Whip from Cuculus can only be obtained this way, though (Cornyx's set can be gained by killing him).

I don't think cuculus dying matters though. IIRC she died once for me so I just boned out and tried again and didn't miss out on anything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Digirat posted:

Sorcery is fine in dark souls 3, although something like half the available arsenal is going to be way less useful than just throwing great heavy soul arrows at people, which is disappointing. It's fine in dark souls 2 as well until you get to the DLC, which is horribly balanced and tells a huge number of player builds to gently caress right off for no reason.

I don't think cuculus dying matters though. IIRC she died once for me so I just boned out and tried again and didn't miss out on anything.

If she dies and you kill the boss you don't get the reward, but if she dies you can just quit and retry as many times as you need to learn how to babysit her. It's kind of dumb

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Digirat posted:

Well that's true for the NPC summons for bosses in DS2 as well. As long as you don't go ahead and kill the boss after letting the NPC die, no harm no foul.

And yes, Spotted Whip is pretty crappy, but it's more the principle of the item that can be missed in this manner, than whether or not said item actually happens to be useful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just wanted her for the armor set

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fire support, danger close.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what's really great about this is that my summons joined me immediately upon spawning in without changing position at all

anyway i'm surprised how dingdang fast even somebody as mediocre as me can go through this game when all you want is anri's straight sword and the materials to upgrade it so you have a nice thematic weapon for the lord of hollows ending

me and my roommate are going to check out all three endings in one sitting once they beat lothric

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How do i make the executioner sword good. Failing that, the cathedral knight greatsword.