Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Brienne is gigantic, though?

In the book, Bobby is gigantic too, instead of just being an athletic powerhouse. I would assume that there are not actually any gigantic six and a half foot tall muscular Polynesian women who can act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnCrichton
Mar 6, 2007
Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack.

Quorum posted:

In the book, Bobby is gigantic too, instead of just being an athletic powerhouse. I would assume that there are not actually any gigantic six and a half foot tall muscular Polynesian women who can act.

I imagined Bobby as looking like The Rock but with boobs and long hair.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

JohnCrichton posted:

I imagined Bobby as looking like The Rock but with boobs and long hair.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Of course that is a real thing. Why wouldn't it be.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Bobbie is a jack-rear end. Worst character in the show and keeps getting worse. She's all gung-ho to butcher billions of people on Earth but the second she runs into one proto-dude she folds faster than a belter at 1g. Doesn't even have the character to do what's right after the fact either.

Here's to hoping she dies horribly.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I agree Bobbi sucks even though I am turned on by this idea of the Rock in wig and makeup

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

jfood posted:

Bobbie is a jack-rear end. Worst character in the show and keeps getting worse. She's all gung-ho to butcher billions of people on Earth but the second she runs into one proto-dude she folds faster than a belter at 1g. Doesn't even have the character to do what's right after the fact either.

Here's to hoping she dies horribly.

Yeah, I don't like her either. She's way too stereotypical. Reminds me of two former Marines I work with: she's a one-dimensional character with too much testosterone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I don't like her either. She's way too stereotypical. Reminds me of two former Marines I work with: she's a one-dimensional character with too much testosterone.

So...she's so realistic she's stereotypical? Or so stereotypical she's realistic?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Phanatic posted:

So...she's so realistic she's stereotypical? Or so stereotypical she's realistic?

Huh? What's the difference? :confused:

My point is that stereotypes make uninteresting and shallow characters. This is absolutely the case with Bobbie. At the beginning of the season we got a glimpse of her dreams of seeing Mars green with flowing water, but the show has so far utterly failed to connect that to her actions and attitudes. I mean it's difficult to understand how all-out war between Earth and Mars can possibly lead to Mars becoming a lush oasis.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
she has a character arc. don't worry about it. and read the book if you want to laugh at how easily that thing wrecked them. hopefully they will show a version of it on the tv program at some point.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

enraged_camel posted:

Huh? What's the difference? :confused:

You said she's too stereotypical, and that she reminds you of actual real-life Marines you know in real life. That would indicate to me that she's accurately portraying what real-life Marines are actually like in real life and hence, not a stereotype.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Surely you're not implying that sometimes stereotypes are based on reality and not made up entirely of whole cloth? Problematic.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Bobbie's "oh so you're gonna tell me a loving story to sell me on this bullshit" line sold me super hard on her actually. Its so easy for a show to go on a dumb monologue for a character we won't see often, and she nipped that poo poo in the bud.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm not a fan of Bobbie at all, but that's mostly because the show hasn't really given us a reason to care about her yet. She may seem one-dimensional now, but I have faith in the showrunners to turn that around. I couldn't stand half the cast until halfway through season one and now I can't imagine the show without them.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

She's a just a lovely human being and not in the fun way Dawes, Amos and Avasarala are. I don't care if she has a character arc, I wanna see her get spaced and free up screen time for something interesting.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Sure feels like they're making Bobbie extra obnoxious so her inevitable change of heart is more impactful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nerdman42 posted:

Bobbie's "oh so you're gonna tell me a loving story to sell me on this bullshit" line sold me super hard on her actually. Its so easy for a show to go on a dumb monologue for a character we won't see often, and she nipped that poo poo in the bud.

The best part is that she stops the story like a brick wall.

He doesn’t even try to pretend that it wasn’t bullshit. He just makes a face and skips to her marching orders.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Why must every work of... I dunno... speculative and/or supernatural fiction... be required to have one sad-brained warrior woman waifu? WHY!?!

'I am strong, but I am broken inside...' so loving cliche.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
she's sad cuz she just went through some poo poo. she's gets better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

uber_stoat posted:

she's sad cuz she just went through some poo poo. she's gets better.

Whoa, man, spoilers.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

seravid posted:

Sure feels like they're making Bobbie extra obnoxious so her inevitable change of heart is more impactful.

I'm hoping it's this. She's definitely a good character in the books, and with how much the writers have been improving on their early book choices, I feel pretty good about her becoming a likeable character on the show as well. They did probably plug her in too early, though. I think introducing her as the only survivor of that attack would've been the better way to go.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Women, am I right men?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm really surprised people are taking this 'read' of Bobby's motivations in the debriefing, she isn't trying to lay the blame on earth due to her anti-earther prejudice, it's clearly shown to be a fog of war situation where she didn't actually realize what happened in real time, it's a simple misunderstanding, not malice.

And really all this about her being a stereotypical 'tough girl but with a soft core' character, I really don't see it that way, she's a professional soldier and a badass but she just got her rear end handed to her and saw her friends torn to shreds, she's suffering from PTSD, I don't think this has much to do with some stereotypic portrayal of women, if anything this sort of struggle with PTSD is something that is generally attributed to male characters in movies, if I'm not mistaken it's the entire plot of Rambo (the first movie).

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Bobbys a cool character and i think whoever the actor is does a good portrayal

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

and saw her friends torn to shreds.

She was their CO, and she let them die. She let them down and they died. She lived and now has PTSD and survivor's guilt.

jfood posted:

Why must every work of... I dunno... speculative and/or supernatural fiction... be required to have one sad-brained warrior woman waifu? WHY!?!

It's almost like women suffer from the same consequences as men in the same circumstances. Like the gender isn't the main thing factor, it is the role.

It would be more realistic for her to wear a rainbow jumpsuit, call her friends, and have a girl's night out. Talking and dancing her problems away.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

ATP_Power posted:

Another place to look for inspiration for the OPA and people like Dawes would be the Haitian revolution (or in a way any revolutionary cause.) They are fighting for good ideals (independence and the liberation of the slaves) but the revolution was steeped in blood, was it worth it? That would depend on who you asked. Was Toussaint Louverture a good man? A hero? Was Jean-Jacques Dessalines? They fought for their people, rose to power on that cause, and they killed a lot of people in the process.

Yeah the fight for independence in the belt really reads better as futuristic Saint-Domingue revolution rather than US one. Johnson is the Papa Toussaint of the belt and Dawes is a lot more Dessalines. Also the belt fighting for Independence, like Mars did to Earth, then being stepped on by Mars is a lot like how the US also treated the second colony to fight for and win independence from the old world. You even have three "races" going at it, big whites = Earthers, creole = Martians, slaves = Belters.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Someone asked about >1g training a while ago. Listening to Caliban's War again, it mentions that Martian marines do routinely do high-gravity training, plus longer endurance training at 1g at least monthly. Maybe I'll come across a reference to UN marine training too, but presumably they at least do the high-g strength training. Not as much need for >1g endurance training since Earth is the most massive world anyone lives on.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Goddamn, I just finished the 1st season and the show is as good as people claimed. It sounds like it intensifies in season 2? Do I get more Mars and more stuff like the Donnager fight?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

reagan posted:

Goddamn, I just finished the 1st season and the show is as good as people claimed. It sounds like it intensifies in season 2? Do I get more Mars and more stuff like the Donnager fight?
I hate to spoil it for you, but I think you deserve to know.

They got a new showrunner for season 2. He really wanted to capture the tween crowd, so the show has pivotted pretty hard towards that demographic. There's a lot of angst, worrying about clothes, some pretty on point messaging about bullying and acceptance, and it looks like the season climax is going to be a dance off.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

And vampires. There are vampires.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm really surprised people are taking this 'read' of Bobby's motivations in the debriefing, she isn't trying to lay the blame on earth due to her anti-earther prejudice, it's clearly shown to be a fog of war situation where she didn't actually realize what happened in real time, it's a simple misunderstanding, not malice.

And really all this about her being a stereotypical 'tough girl but with a soft core' character, I really don't see it that way, she's a professional soldier and a badass but she just got her rear end handed to her and saw her friends torn to shreds, she's suffering from PTSD, I don't think this has much to do with some stereotypic portrayal of women, if anything this sort of struggle with PTSD is something that is generally attributed to male characters in movies, if I'm not mistaken it's the entire plot of Rambo (the first movie).

I'm not talking about the briefing specifically. I'm talking about her character generally.

There was that one scene where she was giving the Navy commander poo poo for being assigned to "farm patrol" at Ganymede, pointing out that "they are Marines." She wanted to retaliate against Earth for destroying Deimos instead iirc. It was just awfully cringe-worthy.

Anyway, I'm willing to give it more time to see how it develops.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Bobbi is a poo poo heel grunt so far

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

tooterfish posted:

They got a new showrunner for season 2. He really wanted to capture the tween crowd, so the show has pivotted pretty hard towards that demographic. There's a lot of angst, worrying about clothes, some pretty on point messaging about bullying and acceptance, and it looks like the season climax is going to be a dance off.

This post is an absolute winner

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Thanks to Bobbie I'm learning that tviv is as unempathetic as games.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

tooterfish posted:

After a devastating nuclear apocalypse wiped out almost all life on Earth. The only known survivors lived on twelve space stations in Earth's orbit prior to the apocalyptic event. The space stations banded together to form a single massive station called "The Ark", where about 2,400 people live under the leadership of Chancellor Jaha.[1] Resources are scarce, so all crimes – regardless of their nature or severity – are punishable by ejection into space ("floating") unless the perpetrator is under 18 years of age.

After the Ark's life-support systems are found to be critically failing, 100 juvenile prisoners are declared "expendable" and sent to the surface – near former Washington, D.C.[8] – in a last ditch attempt to determine whether Earth is habitable again, in a program called "The 100". The teens arrive in a drop ship on a seemingly pristine planet they have only seen from space. They attempt to find refuge and supplies at an old military installation, Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center, located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. However, they land some distance from the intended target and soon face other problems. Confronting both the wonders and the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

jfood posted:

Uh, she watched a 9ft tall glowing naked blue man run across the surface of an airless rock, rip through a squad of UN Marines and her own squad while shrugging off everything they threw at it. So yeah she might be a bit shaken for a week or two at trying to process that poo poo. MCRN command telling her to lie in her testimony probably isn't helping matters.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Zigmidge posted:

Thanks to Bobbie I'm learning that the rest of something awful is as unempathetic as games.

ftfy

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That tiny capsule she took to help her remember what really happened is more than just a memory aid, right? Because her new commanding officer also took it when he sat down to debrief her the first time.

My assumption is that it's something that greatly enhances senses, which can help people notice if someone is lying, for example.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 11, 2017

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

enraged_camel posted:

That tiny capsule she took to help her remember what really happened is more than just a memory aid, right? Because her new commanding officer also took it when he sat down to debrief her the first time.

Sensory-enhancing drug I believe. It was probably intended to help her recall memories more vividly in that case, but we've previously seen it used several times now by MCRN interrogators, assumedly to assess the truthfulness of the person being interrogated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Yeah, it's some kind of focus drug.

• Locked thread