Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I think Rounders was a lot of the reason it took off although I am a TV hipster and can claim I discovered it earlier because I found a book in the library about it, and would watch it on both ESPN and Fox Sports.

Rounders was way before it took off on tv. If anything it was the other way around and poker becoming really popular retroactively made Rounders a lot bigger than it was when it came out

R.D. Mangles posted:

there was no better ESPN content than coming home at 2AM, flipping on the World Wide Leader, and seeing a bunch of giant Scandinavian dudes walking around wearing cars while grimacing and shaking

It really was the best drunk college viewing and I miss it terribly

MourningView fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

Who has the WSM rights these days, anyway? You'd think some network would capitalize on the growing nostalgia for random poo poo ESPN2 used to air 10 years ago.

CBS Sports Network under it's CBS Sports Spectacular brand.

That channel is cool as hell btw. I've seen them show BTCC, V8 Supercars and the Blancpain GT series on there. I WISH NBC Sports would just buy up that channel and it's rights to create NBCSN2 or something.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FuzzySkinner posted:

CBS Sports Network under it's CBS Sports Spectacular brand.

That channel is cool as hell btw. I've seen them show BTCC, V8 Supercars and the Blancpain GT series on there. I WISH NBC Sports would just buy up that channel and it's rights to create NBCSN2 or something.

I'd love to see CBSSN become a bigger deal, but CBS seems pretty content to just use it as a dumping ground for whatever mid-tier college sports they have. They didn't even bother getting into the over-the-top streaming game like ESPN/Fox/NBC/Turner did.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

love to stump the schwab

I'm angry that the closest we have to that now is Sports Jeopardy, which is embarrassingly easy

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Benne posted:

Who has the WSM rights these days, anyway? You'd think some network would capitalize on the growing nostalgia for random poo poo ESPN2 used to air 10 years ago.

Bring back the PBH

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The thing I miss the most from World's strongest man is the Hussafal / Africa stone carry.

Just a giant oddly shaped rock these behemoths carry 100 meters before collapsing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2nFDcvdoLs

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 11, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Like no bullshit, someone like YouTube or Twitch should get the WSM rights and stream them. Twitch chat for WSM might be the literal definition of :magical:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Twitch has chat?

And no, anything involving twitch chat is a bad idea

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

Rounders was way before it took off on tv. If anything it was the other way around and poker becoming really popular retroactively made Rounders a lot bigger than it was when it came out

It really was the best drunk college viewing and I miss it terribly

Maybe it's just a mostly-pre-internet smaller world thing but my friends and I saw Rounders opening weekend and went nuts for it. And poker was already on ESPN and Fox Sports (or maybe it was Prime Ticket back then), albeit, not like when it was on some channel somewhere 24 hours a day like a few years ago.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rounders being part of a poker craze is like Requiem for a Dream being part of a massive increase in drug use.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ugh, ESPN aired the MAC Title game...and literally interrupted parts of it for an interview with Joe Lunardi about Bubble Teams, etc.

Like, christ ESPN. You have ESPNews and a million other dumping grounds for that stuff. I'm watching this game because it's my Alma Mater taking on it's heated Arch Rival with a Tourney Bid on the line. Can you hold off and actually let me watch this game?

(You scoff at how i'm hyping this up, but the two schools have literally gone to blows with each other during situations like this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urLKxDmZqf4

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Ugh, ESPN aired the MAC Title game...and literally interrupted parts of it for an interview with Joe Lunardi about Bubble Teams, etc.

If you're talking about the picture in picture thing they were doing that all along with the Big 12 and ACC tournaments too so it wasn't anything to do with the game. They just believe we need to see that for whatever dumb reason.

If they actually stopped showing the game during live action yeah, that's even more bullshit.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My only guess is they're paying Lunardi a lot of money and figure "may as well get him on TV as much as possible during the 2 weeks a year he's relevant."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They did it in the Pac-12 game too but it turned into Bill Walton just yelling at him for five minutes, which was cool.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

If you're talking about the picture in picture thing they were doing that all along with the Big 12 and ACC tournaments too so it wasn't anything to do with the game. They just believe we need to see that for whatever dumb reason.

If they actually stopped showing the game during live action yeah, that's even more bullshit.

It was picture and picture, with him taking up 1/3rd of the screen. It was infuriating because he'd talk over big shots like a three pointer, etc.

It's even more bizarre because it's pretty much clear cut with the MAC who's in and who's out of the thing. I can guarantee that the only people watching Akron-Kent State are people in the Rust Belt region, Alumni, and people insanely into College Basketball. It's not as if there was any sort of impact on whether or not USC or something is Tourney bound.

e: also Dan Dakich is horrible. My friends in Indianapolis hate him on the radio, and are pretty stunned he's actually on TV now.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 12, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He calls every other Michigan State game and makes me want to jam a pencil in my ear. And then all our Big Ten Network games are called by a guy with an extremely similar voice who shuts up slightly more often (which is to say occasionally).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

He calls every other Michigan State game and makes me want to jam a pencil in my ear. And then all our Big Ten Network games are called by a guy with an extremely similar voice who shuts up slightly more often (which is to say occasionally).

There's one thing to be said about Wisconsin sports, and that our announcers are pretty good. Not counting Uecker, we get to hear Brian Anderson regularly for the Brewers and Gus Johnson on occasion for the Bucks (though some of Gus's takes regarding off the field matters aren't the greatest). Uecker was in the TV booth yesterday during the spring training game and was constantly making Bill Schroeder laugh.

I'm going to miss him when he retires :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dakitch is trash

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

iospace posted:

There's one thing to be said about Wisconsin sports, and that our announcers are pretty good. Not counting Uecker, we get to hear Brian Anderson regularly for the Brewers and Gus Johnson on occasion for the Bucks (though some of Gus's takes regarding off the field matters aren't the greatest). Uecker was in the TV booth yesterday during the spring training game and was constantly making Bill Schroeder laugh.

I'm going to miss him when he retires :smith:

Plus Wayne Larivee and Larry McCarron for Packer games. I have very specific memories of riding home Sundays during the 2nd half of games listening to them, then watching the game traffic go the opposite way on the highway. Their call of the "we want the ball and we're gonna score" pick-6 is fantastic, along with the Fail Mary.

Maybe they just bring it for Seahawks games.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

Dakitch is trash

He trashed Donald Davidson and acted like a :smug: jackass about how he wasn't worthy of receiving an award from the states of Indiana. For anyone not from Indiana? Davidson is pretty much a de facto caretaker of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum, and was "stump the schwab" before there was a "stump the schwab".

He's sounding more and more like Colin Cowherd like douche.

He was insufferable when I was watching him call the Purdue-Michigan game in the Big Ten Tourney.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

He trashed Donald Davidson and acted like a :smug: jackass about how he wasn't worthy of receiving an award from the states of Indiana. For anyone not from Indiana? Davidson is pretty much a de facto caretaker of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum, and was "stump the schwab" before there was a "stump the schwab".

He's sounding more and more like Colin Cowherd like douche.

He was insufferable when I was watching him call the Purdue-Michigan game in the Big Ten Tourney.

He was a pain in the rear end back when he coached here at BG too. Guy's got a real attitude about him, even for a college coach.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

Dakitch is trash

If he is so bad, why isn't he working for FS1

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

If he is so bad, why isn't he working for FS1

You gotta have a stint of being bad at ESPN before FS1 will nab you.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

I'd love to see CBSSN become a bigger deal, but CBS seems pretty content to just use it as a dumping ground for whatever mid-tier college sports they have. They didn't even bother getting into the over-the-top streaming game like ESPN/Fox/NBC/Turner did.

CBSSN is perfect as it is please do not take away my home for CUSA and service academy football

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

when it's time to talk sports
https://twitter.com/WPXIFinalWord/status/841114722288181248

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

some goon said they prank called Mark Madden back in the day about wrestling.

If that goon would come forward, I'd like to hear the story.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Fat man in the back wearing his tie like a wresting belt he brought

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Are those Mike Huckaby's kids?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

One of those guys looks exactly like my cousin and another one looks exactly like one of my mom's cousins.

Yep, a group of shapeless Pittsburghers if I've ever seen one

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBS's ratings for the NCAA Selection show fell 7% to 4.883 million. First time it's ever been below 5 million.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i blame northwestern

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Man, having the same old panel of tired old takes (I'm looking at you especially, Charles) is doing wonders eh?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They should really just go back to 1 hour. This year's show was a massive improvement, but still too long at 90 minutes. While I'm happy they released the bracket early, I bet a lot of people tuned out afterwards, because the final hour was basically dead air.

E: Also there's no reason to use the NBA TNT crew. Literally nobody cares about Barkley's college basketball opinions. Just stick to the guys who actually watch the sport year-round.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 17, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have the feeling a lot of people have no problem waiting and just getting it when it goes out online.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That's still too many viewers.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Ellis Cannon and John Steigerwald make Mark Madden seem like Bob Costas. 1990s, universally loved and respected Bob Costas

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh are we discussing Mark Madden ITT?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ESPN still hiring people as they're ready to fire others

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/842779788070797312

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tank Abbot announced a few UFC fights (or maybe more than a few, I have no clue) years ago. I remember his commentary seemed to be some version of 'yeah that's pretty good, I would have done [x] and beaten him though.' Or 'that was nice, would never have worked against me.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

ESPN still hiring people as they're ready to fire others

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/842779788070797312

Ryan still had three years on his contract with Buffalo, I imagine the price tag for ESPN wasn't terribly high.