Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

I just used obscenely powerful (probably hacked) online characters and a special sword you're probably not guaranteed to get for that.

Which is also the reason you'd be a fool for grinding your way through beating Garon legitimately.

Actually, it's entirely possible to get absurdly powerful einherjar without even going online (though from your wording this doesn't explain the guys you're using). Exploit spoilered for those who want a semblance of challenge:

Basically, it's the same as Awakening's "reusable stat boosters" exploit: Save in multiple slots, then use all your stat boosters on one einherjar, update that einherjar in the logbook, and save over ONE of those slots. After that, load the slot that hasn't been overwritten, and you've got a powered-up einherjar in your logbook, without even spending any boosters! Yes, this means you can cap every stat for every einherjar, INCLUDING movement, literally as soon as you get them... too bad that it gets ridiculously expensive to actually import them afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

For a "major victory," the group didn't really do much and probably could've skipped last chapter if they were running away anyway.

Thank you Kaze. How does it look?
I'm afraid it's not good. I don't believe the Nohrian army is aware of our precise location, but... They have moved to block all possible routes to the castle. Even the back roads and trails. They are being quite thorough.
There are thousands of troops massing.
Thousands. And we are just a handful.
Well, thank you again, Kaze, for taking on such a difficult scouting mission.

Its times like this that really disconnect the gap between your small army of 12-15 to translating into thousands of troops fighting each other. Especially when we're supposed to be the super mobile force that somehow is evading half the country at this point.

Of course, milord.
May I ask... How do you plan on proceeding? I don't see any way we can get around Nohr's forces undetected.
There's really NO other route we can take?

Oh? Well, let's hear it! It doesn't look like we have any other options.
Technically speaking, it is possible to reach Nohr via Mount Garou.

The Mark of the Wolves?!

However, Mount Garou is more commonly known as the Impassable Peak.
How can you even suggest such a thing, Lord Ryoma? We'd fare better against 10,000 Nohrian soldiers out in the open!

Terry Bogard isn't that that tough

I am aware of the downside... and so is Nohr. That must be why they're forcing us in that direction.
Right. I didn't see any troops blocking the entrance to the peak... But that is surely intentional.
What do you think, Corrin? This may be our best chance.
Well, we can't just stay here. We're a small force, but we're powerful and nimble. I think we should take our chances with Garou.
Then it is agreed. Kaze, can you guide us to the best possible entry point?
Of course, milord.

*Time passes, the leader arrive at a hillway*

First the Eternal Stairway...now this. At least we don't have to worry about staying in condition with all this exercise.
I'm afraid the physical demands of this peak aren't our only worry... How are you doing, Corrin? Do you need to take a break?
No, I'm OK. But it looks as though we've put some distance on the others. Perhaps we should give them a chance to catch up and rest.
Good idea. I'll backtrack a little bit and alert the leaders. Wait...someone else is here!
Where? I don't see anyone...

Watch out, Corrin!

*Three figures arrive*

Grr... *snarl*
What are we dealing with, Ryoma? Another of Nohr's monsters?
No, these are wolfskin—a tribe with shapeshifting abilities.
They're the other hazard associated with crossing Mount Garou.

I'm sorry...who are you?
Me? Oh, my name's Keaton.
And you CAN'T HAVE MY FUR, got it? Some other humans came and tried to get my fur.
But I collected their bones instead. Ha! The joke's on them.

*Keaton shows the piles of bones*

I'm sorry. I think there's been a misunderstanding. We're not after your fur. We just want to pass through the area. We mean you no harm!
Really? How can I trust you?
My fur is pretty soft, you know. A lot of people want it!
Please, believe me. We have no intention of fighting.
Everyone! Set down your weapons.
I hope you know what you're doing, Corrin...
Yeah, you better be right about this.

Takumi, why are you here if you're only going to say one line

There. You see, we're sorry about trespassing, but we come in peace. We'd just like to pass through this area.
Hmm...
Grr!
All right, all right. I think they're telling the truth. Let's let these humans through.
Thank you Keaton. We appreciate it.

Gyaaah!

*The Wolfskin dies*

Well of course we have to fight. Sighs....

What was that?
Some kind of explosion! Everyone, get down!
Look, up there. What is that?
It looks like...dark energy. The same kind that exploded from my sword... Have we been set up by King Garon again?

IT CAN'T BE! WHAAAAAAA

Aww, open your eyes. Please? Not like this... *sniff* *sniff*
Oh dear.
YOU! You did this, didn't you? You were tricking us the whole time!
No! That's not true. We had nothing to do with this!
Lies! You'll die for this. ALL OF YOU!

*Kaze suddenly appears to block the hit*

Lord Corrin! Are you OK?
Gah! Get out of my way! This is between me and him.

Urgh...
Kaze!
I don't think we can talk our way out of this one, Lord Corrin. We're going to sustain heavy losses if we don't fight back.
I knew I shouldn't have trusted humans. None of you are leaving this place alive!
Quickly, Lord Corrin! We need to take action one way or another.
Argh! I guess we have no choice... Please forgive us, wolfskin!

This chapter is rough terrain against tough enemies...except they're all beasts. And the game gave us a guaranteed Beast Killer. It's almost like Birthright is giving us a hint or something....

Stats HERE

Bench 5 characters HERE

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Solo it with Oboro.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Camel Pimp posted:

Solo it with Oboro.

...Now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if she could...

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Solo it with Oboro.

Time to turn this into Fire Emblem Warriors!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CptWedgie posted:

...Now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if she could...

With the use of the forts to recover your health, probably. Guard Naginata to bait in opponents, and then Beast Killer them down.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
In case it wasn't obvious, Keaton is Kaden's Conquest equivalent.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 11, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

We are literally a whole game away in chapters from Keaton, dude

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tae posted:

We are literally a whole game away in chapters from Keaton, dude

Alright, got rid of the bit about Keaton's growths.

vector_to
Mar 7, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

With the use of the forts to recover your health, probably. Guard Naginata to bait in opponents, and then Beast Killer them down.

Pretty much how I approached this map. Paired her up with Silas, and just bounced them from fort to fort like a wrecking ball. A bit cheesy, but it felt better than breaking out Ryoma.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Azura being all "please keep using my song" makes me wonder if she isn't going to sing the song that ends the world at some point and wants to hurry up and get there already.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

You're in the way.

You won't get stronger.

I'm sorry. Did you just shoo me?

♪ Who's a good girl? You're a good girl! Yes you are!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tae posted:

Wow. Kaden is really in touch with his feminine side.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

You're in the way.

Pretty sure we've already seen this one. As in, yes, you've already shown it to us once, but I'm not sure precisely when. It's linked to in J on your Supports thing on page 1, though, if that helps any; I'm assuming that's just after Oboro joined.

Tae posted:

You won't get stronger.

Orochi's right about Hinata not getting stronger- the only thing that can fix HIM in my experience is stat boosters, in large quantities. And most players don't have enough lying around to salvage him...

Tae posted:

I'm sorry. Did you just shoo me?

Well, at least Takumi's competitive nature is being focused on a potentially-productive outlet in this...

Tae posted:

Does this make Kaden the animal equivalent of a fashionista or a masseuse? (Disclaimer: "Both" is a valid answer.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting will end in an hour.

----------------------------

C Support

The stress of this is giving me a headache.

Please, milord, there is no need to heap praise on me.

I'm not a baby!

You can't be as cool as Lord Takumi just by changing your hairdo.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Please, milord, there is no need to heap praise on me.

...God dammit Setsuna. Words fail me.

Tae posted:

I'm not a baby!

Honestly, at least "picky eater" is an understandable character trait. On the other hand, though, Rinkah has a point about wasting supplies.

Tae posted:

You can't be as cool as Lord Takumi just by changing your hairdo.

Personally, I'd vote for "bald."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Vote's over. Ryoma, Rinkah, Silas, Takumi, and Kaden (the literal guy who's special ability is killing beasts) are benched. Takumi shot from 6th to 4th in the last hour.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I figure Ryoma is only getting voted out cause busting him out more this early would be a bit much. Give the others a chance to catch up at least

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

BrightWing posted:

I figure Ryoma is only getting voted out cause busting him out more this early would be a bit much. Give the others a chance to catch up at least

More likely people want to make things harder on Tae.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
I just don't really like Ryoma, gameplay aside. :shrug:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

CptWedgie posted:

More likely people want to make things harder on Tae.

This is Birthright, thats not really gunna happen. Not saying that we cant make it a bit more difficult at least.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only thing I'll say that is that people really abandoned Rinkah when Scarlet came around. Only one Axe maiden in their hearts, I see.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Well when she came back and proceeded to get 4 stat ups in as many levels...

Plus Dragon's are cool.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, I've been voting to bench Rinkah for ages. Scarlet's much better even if she doesn't have much to say.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Well when she came back and proceeded to get 4 stat ups in as many levels...

Plus Dragon's are cool.

This is the real reason. If trial by devil ax is not available, trial by level up is the next best thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Silas is out for the first time ever, while Rinkah is quickly abandoned for newly minted Axe Goddess Scarlet.

So there's two enemies on this map: Wolfskin and Woflssegner. The latter are promoted versions and they hit hard. Really hard. As in they will pretty much kill anyone that isn't Oboro or Scarlet quickly.

The second issue is that the reason why this mission is tougher than it should be is because the enemy tend to fight in mountain terrain, as in +2 defense and +20 avoid.

So I'm going to use dual attacks in this mission more than any other time, because I need to stack the deck on the number of hits I can land.

Also, this Wolfssegner had Counter, which was why I pelted it with long range at first.

Azura and Hinoka will be key in ferrying the team around and proving good placement for dual attacks. Hinoka in particular will have the duty of abusing the Beast Killer to get rid of any immediate threats.

This is a good preview of the rest of the chapter. Bronze-type weapons will be incredibly key for success, because Oboro can defend all day but can't win with these hit rates.

That is beyond ugly, WITH a bronze weapon. It's time to drown their avoid a bit.

The Dragon Vein here causes a rainstorm, dropping the stats of all the enemies by 4 like a mass ninja attack. I dunno, it makes their fur wet or something?

Much better hit rates, but also I got extremely lucky there. The wolf dropped 3k.

More stacking the deck, though Hinoka still took a hit because it was a Wolfssegner instead of a runt.

Not exactly the most eye-popping levels, but they hit the right notes. Got a free Master Seal after that, which is useful because a couple units are nearing level 20 at this point.

Felicia showing off that she don't need no specific weapon to beat up wolves. She's got gusto and stats.

When Oboro fights them on even plain ground, she can dominate as usual. The problem getting to that point, especially when her movement's limited by forest/mountain and they aren't.

She gets to lvl 18, gaining HP/SKL/DEF.

Kagero starts off with a good snipe, getting a Speedwing off the corpse. Azama follows up to clear the middle with his bow as well.

His enemy dropped a Beastrune-C rank, 9 mt, 80 hit, Crit evade +10, +2 SKL, -1 SPD, +4 DEF, +5 RES

This is closer to Corrin's stone which makes for a defensive Kaden. Which isn't so bad since Kaden has absurd speed and sometimes he just needs to survive a couple rounds.

Now the real, real problem of the map starts to occur. More wolfies are going to spawn and try to pincer in the group. and like I said before, they can move way better in rough terrain than our group.

I've definitely reached a point where Orochi will get killed period by anyone and can't take a counter-attack by non-Mages. At least Sakura and Dancer Azura can still take an occasional hit because they're not being doubled by turtles.

A Secret Book dropped from Orochi's target.

So quick math here. In 17 levels, Corrin hit a 45% growth 11 times. On average, he would be at about 7.7 SPD, maybe 8 if you're being generous.

Meanwhile on a 55% growth, he would've gained about 9.3 defense, 9 if you're a little unlucky. He's hit it 6 times.

So I don't know what the gently caress.

More enemy reinforcements show up, now surrounding the team on all four sides.

Why is Azura a Sky Knight again

Gotta solidify the middle so Oboro, Scarlet, and Corrin can at least distract some of the invaders.

drat IT

I just got off of those fortress tiles

Hinoka as busted as she is right now, can only be at one place at a time.

Helping and hurting in the most Felicia way

A lot of specific kills to get a small area of safety for 90% of the crew that will die in battle from a single hit.

Mozu distracted well while being protected by the fort, which gave way to easy counter-attacks now that they're off the drat mountainside.

Slowly inching my way forward here. I'm starting to regret not buying a Skill Tonic for Scarlet because baiting out these obvious ambushes would make my life easier.

The final enemy reinforcements appear, which is going to make the showdown with Keaton that much busier.

You are horrifically fragile and Felicia is easily dealing double the damage in sheer power at this point. I'm actually considering bringing back Setsuna and Saizo back at this point because their stats aren't that much worse you, girl

PSkill: Collector-Luck% chance of obtaining 3 Minerals or Foodstuffs after moving up to the 7th Turn

Beaststone+-B rank, 12 mt, 90 hit, +5 crit, +10 avoid, Skill +8, Speed +6, Defence -5, Resistance -3, reduces -2 STR/SKL after battle

Keaton is more intimidating than he looks, especially after his beaststone is used once. Granted he has the odd-number version of Keaton's damage booster, but eh.

Now granted, Keaton is dealing 12 damage to Oboro on an even turn, so bravo for being super tough.

Excellent level from Oboro, Kagero level from Kagero

Man, these guys are not messing around. And if that wasn't enough, 4 more enemies from the exact reinforcement spot as before come out. And this IS a rout mission....

This is not worth it. One miss and Hinoka's dead. I've been skating on 75% before, but not at the risk of one-shot death.

I'm so glad you made it through the vote

Keaton drops Spirit Dust.

And hey, she gains literally every stat except MAG.

(it's really weird she carries a lance in her portrait)

Maybe Azura isn't doing that badly if Hinoka is struggling to hit strength as well. The Sky Knight curse.

Who wants barbecue!

Hinoka kills a trio of wolves by the skin of her teeth, thanks to Guard Stance blocking the last fatal hit.

Okay, much better.

This cowardly wolf was punished for trying to camp on a base tile.

Mozu, I'm not asking much. Please gain HP.

Good news is that she's gained C rank lances so she can wield the Guard Naginata now.

Tae fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 12, 2017

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Orochi is another one of those units that never worked out for me. Maybe someone better at Fire Emblem can make use of a unit with high attack and sluggish speed, but I abandon her when I get easier access to magic melee weapons and faster tome users.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Orochi :gonk:

8 SPD at level 18 is beyond horrendous.

e: wow, she literally only gained 1 point of speed since she joined.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 12, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Looks like a case for some speed wings to me!

Except it's true that Felica does everything she does better.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

To make Orochi work, she needs Speedwings, a Speed Tonic for every chapter and a dedicated speedy pairup partner like Kaze, or Hayato if you want to boost her Mag a bit first. It's doable, Fates gives you a lot of ways to boost character's stats, and Tomes are powerful when you get past the problems with the base Tome users, but it's certainly a lot of investment. 8 Spd is awful even for her though IIRC, good lord.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

blizzardvizard posted:

Orochi :gonk:

8 SPD at level 18 is beyond horrendous.

e: wow, she literally only gained 1 point of speed since she joined.

Running the math.. yeah she has actually been screwed by the RNG a bit. Her average speed gain over 13 levels is 3.9. Which, uh, is still not great.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, it's nice to know that leveling Hayato up in my play though wasn't a waste after all. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ajkalan posted:

Orochi is another one of those units that never worked out for me. Maybe someone better at Fire Emblem can make use of a unit with high attack and sluggish speed, but I abandon her when I get easier access to magic melee weapons and faster tome users.

She's great as an Attack Stance buddy, if nothing else. In addition, Birthright is chock full of +Spd pair-ups (including Kaze and Kaden), and enemies in Birthright aren't very fast, so even Orochi can double from time to time.

It's much easier to fix Orochi's Speed than if, say, you wanted to make Kagero a Diviner.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
Orochi really is based purely on the concept "no need to double if you can one-shot the enemy", while Hayato tends to favor "death of a thousand cuts". Late-game, Orochi is mostly useful to defeat Generals, because her immense magic stat is more than enough to rip through their HP, and because of Wary Fighter nobody can double them (or get doubled by them) anyway. I'm honestly not a big fan of most magic users in the game, at least as units.

(I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, Tae, but if it is I'll gladly remove it)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Orochi really is based purely on the concept "no need to double if you can one-shot the enemy", while Hayato tends to favor "death of a thousand cuts". Late-game, Orochi is mostly useful to defeat Generals, because her immense magic stat is more than enough to rip through their HP, and because of Wary Fighter nobody can double them (or get doubled by them) anyway. I'm honestly not a big fan of most magic users in the game, at least as units.

(I'm not sure if this is a spoiler, Tae, but if it is I'll gladly remove it)

I wouldn't really consider it a huge one at least since you didn't elaborate, but, uh, i don't think anything gets Wary Fighter in Birthright. I don't remember it being something that slowed me down, at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

almost no enemies in birthright have skills, granted by their class or otherwise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The niche you're trying to create for Orochi would make more sense if the game didn't give you an Armorslayer literally the chapter after you pick Birthright, and her best friend isn't a Poison Striker that comes with a Sting Shuriken.

------------------------------------------

Subaki! Help!

I was a little disappointed in your performance.

Oh no! You're that Azama fellow.

There is nothing fun about this.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I wouldn't really consider it a huge one at least since you didn't elaborate, but, uh, i don't think anything gets Wary Fighter in Birthright. I don't remember it being something that slowed me down, at least.

Tae's correct that it doesn't really matter regardless due to weapons available to other classes, but pretty sure Life meant enemy generals had the skill, and Orochi was just indirectly benefitting from the fact. They did specify she was useful against those specifically after all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I reworked the 1st page so that all the Supports are now listed.

I'm also having a large majority of the party almost at promotion level, but I don't want to put a poll for like 12 people because that's tedious. So any quick suggestions on if the thread wants to do it in some way or I decide.

I am thinking about a Steroid redemption vote by stuffing one unit of all the stat boosters I've collected thus far and give them a DLC class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

The only thing I'll say that is that people really abandoned Rinkah when Scarlet came around. Only one Axe maiden in their hearts, I see.

Rinkah is a tired archetype who also makes a crappy mom.

Scarlet has a bedazzler and she'll never stop using it.

It's not a hard choice.

• Locked thread