Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

araeris posted:

B&R list update announcement is on Monday. Presumably everything was finalized last week.

Any guesses/predictions, or is it all up in the air at this point?

I don't follow Modern, but my mostly-baseless Standard predictions are:
Saheeli Rai
Scrapheap Scrounger
Walking Ballista

Gotta break up copy cat IMO, and taking out Scrounger and Ballista removes some (mostly) colorless weapons that could warp the format after copy cat is gone.

Felidar Guardian is infinitely more likely to eat it than Saheeli is; which is a shame because the Guardian / Oath of Chandra interaction is legitimately neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

araeris posted:

B&R list update announcement is on Monday. Presumably everything was finalized last week.

Any guesses/predictions, or is it all up in the air at this point?

I don't follow Modern, but my mostly-baseless Standard predictions are:
Saheeli Rai
Scrapheap Scrounger
Walking Ballista

Gotta break up copy cat IMO, and taking out Scrounger and Ballista removes some (mostly) colorless weapons that could warp the format after copy cat is gone.

Copy cat combo is making standard worse but the rest are just "good" cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My prediction is either cat or saheeli or nothing, and those two only because they don't want it overshadowing Amonkhet. They might equally not do that now, and instead do it at the Amonkhet B&R update to avoid shaking up the format unnecessarily.

Banning anything else would be a really bad sign, none of this format's problems are things that banning individual cards is going to solve.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
They shouldn't ban good cards imo, just broken cards, which describes neither Scrapheap or Ballista

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They're not going to touch standard for at least two years.

In modern they will maybe bam some fast mana.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Soul Glo posted:

They shouldn't ban good cards imo, just broken cards, which describes neither Scrapheap or Ballista

I don't think anything needs to eat a ban right now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lets ban fast mana in modern. No reason all these tier 2 and 3 decks needs to be playable.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I would like to see Felidar and Ballista go.

Ballista is simply too good/universal of a card, and banning it would force decks to play more in their colors. (I hate every artifact set)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

DangerDongs posted:

I would like to see Felidar and Ballista go.

Ballista is simply too good/universal of a card, and banning it would force decks to play more in their colors. (I hate every artifact set)

Ballista is fine. It doesn't need a banning

What we need is graveyard hate and lightning bolt.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I wouldn't be surprised if nothing got changed for modern

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Other than scrounger and torrential gearhulk, what requires graveyard hate in this format? Neither of these are completely ruining the format.
Emrakul is gone.

I don't think Walking Ballista is breaking the format, but it really is insanely good for being colorless.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I highly doubt they ban Saheeli. If anything goes it's the cat, I bet.

Scrounger could easily get wrecked also but I'll be fairly surprised if it does. I'll be fairly surprised if anything more than just Guardian does actually, that would be a TON of cards banned for standard, the most in what, 15 years?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My guesses are:

Standard: Nothing
Modern: Mox Opal
Legacy: Wait. That's a format, still?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wurzag posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if nothing got changed for modern

Same, it's been pretty healthy around me and I haven't looked at recent tourney results closely enough to say what should be banned.

Sickening posted:

Lets ban fast mana in modern. No reason all these tier 2 and 3 decks needs to be playable.

I think banning some fast mana in Modern is on their to-do list, but they're looking for a reason to do so. From my perspective Wizards of the past few years hasn't really wanted fast mana to be around in any form- rituals, mana dorks, Sol lands and the like. Maybe this is obvious to others but I'll bet someone at Wizards has been tasked with keeping an eye on Gifts Storm in Modern, waiting to see if it gets "too good" before they ban another ritual.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's more that there's no response, no counterplay. You have to pay a ton of mana to get rid of a 3/2 for good by using cards that don't really hurt any of the other threats - Winding Constrictor dodges death by Brutal Expulsion, for example - or play Anguished Unmaking on their 2 drop and lose 3 life anyway. You can't deactivate Delirium so once it's on they get extra value on their flayers and grafwidows. And there's no way to stop Torrential Gearhulk's 2-for-1.

There were graveyard decks in RTR standards, which had Rest In Peace. It took Scavenging Ooze to stop Deadbridge Chant decks, and Whip lists still existed with Scooze. Graveyard strategies are harder to defeat than that. Cremate wouldn't hose Torrential Gearhulk and Delirium into oblivion but it at least would let you do something.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Same, it's been pretty healthy around me and I haven't looked at recent tourney results closely enough to say what should be banned.

I think banning some fast mana in Modern is on their to-do list, but they're looking for a reason to do so. From my perspective Wizards of the past few years hasn't really wanted fast mana to be around in any form- rituals, mana dorks, Sol lands and the like. Maybe this is obvious to others but I'll bet someone at Wizards has been tasked with keeping an eye on Gifts Storm in Modern, waiting to see if it gets "too good" before they ban another ritual.

Wizards also didn't want efficient removal to be around for the last few years and that design decision did wonders for them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Imo, the combo's being banned, and I can imagine something like Scrounger eating a bullet on similar grounds to Reflector Mage. (And who wouldn't mind Gideon going away? tbf, he'll likely overshadow Amonkhet's Gideon).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Imo, the combo's being banned, and I can imagine something like Scrounger eating a bullet on similar grounds to Reflector Mage. (And who wouldn't mind Gideon going away? tbf, he'll likely overshadow Amonkhet's Gideon).

I think the people who bought Gideons would mind that immensely

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
In my deck last night I was playing Sigarda in the side and it hoses Ballista so much, most times I ever had to play against it I would kill it before it got to 4 counters and Sigarda saved me from taking damage to the face in games vs. Mardu and GB

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the people who bought Gideons would mind that immensely

Yeah, there was a degree of unmarked internet sarcasm there

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I don't think so? I figure there are (56 choose 7)/(60 choose 7) ways to draw an opening hand with zero of your four Leylines, so the probability of drawing at least one Leyline in your opening hand is 1 minus that number. Then square it because you have to do it twice.

You're not counting replacement I don't think. No one uses choose notation when figuring out card odds, it's always hypergeometric. 60 population, 4 successes, 7 samples...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Banning something now would be dumb. Standard is going to suck for a while regardless of bannings. Of course no one but the people playing fevered visions are trying anything except vehicles, bg or cats.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

I would have agreed in the past but the reflector mage ban still points at a more aggressive thought process and now I don't really have an idea of what's getting bant

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You're not counting replacement I don't think. No one uses choose notation when figuring out card odds, it's always hypergeometric. 60 population, 4 successes, 7 samples...

I did it a different way and got the same result. You are calculating the chances of no leylines drawn at all first: (56/60, chance of drawing any non-leyline card)*(55/59 chance of drawing any non-leyline card, factoring in one is missing)... = chance of NO leylines

1- chance of NO leylines = chance of 1 or more leylines

chance of 1 or more leylines * chance of 1 or more leylines = chance of 1 or more leylines in two consecutive games.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(1-((56%2F60)*(55%2F59)*(54%2F58)*(53%2F57)*(52%2F56)*(51%2F55)*(50%2F54)))%5E2

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Banning something now would be dumb. Standard is going to suck for a while regardless of bannings. Of course no one but the people playing fevered visions are trying anything except vehicles, bg or cats.

I just completely disagree with this. The makings of a good format are there without a 2-card instant win combo suppressing every single midrange and control strategy

Fundamentally, Cat Lady is just not an interaction they've been ok with in standard for many years. I'll be shocked if it's not banned, especially after the explicit admission that it was an accident.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Scrounger won't get banned. It is too important to keeping aggro alive in the format, especially after they banned Copter, they need an artifact two drop and at least it requires you play black mana. Gideon is good but not even close to ban worthy, and promotes the same creature strategies they want to be in the format.

Just rip off the band aid and ban Felidar nobody wants that combo around forever and it has the same problem as Reflector Mage which is it makes creature based strategies look bad. When you cast a 5 mana 8/8 and your opponent bounces it and then your next turn you have 2 of them in your hand it's that 'feel bad' magic they specifically want to avoid.

Felidar goes in exactly one deck, and other than Saheeli dropping in price and the combo exiting the format nothing gets too disrupted, and potentially some new midrange decks emerge. Scrounger is a vital tool to beating control as aggro, makes exiling clauses matter, is a maindeck all star in zombies and mardu vehicles and sees sideboard play in BG.

Speaking of standard as a whole I think it is bad the deck to beat is a 3 color aggressive deck that's quite challenging to play and play against, and it's also the most expensive deck in the format but I don't think banning it is an answer to those problems.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I think they'll ban the cat, but the only way they could realistically improve Standard through bannings would be to ban Winding Constrictor, Felidar Guardian, Aetherworks Marvel and Heart of Kiran, and they aren't gonna do that.

The cat does nothing good for standard beyond make several decks completely non-viable because they can't interact with the combo.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
As long as they don't ban any of the 3 fog spells I'm good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wizards also didn't want efficient removal to be around for the last few years and that design decision did wonders for them.

I'm not saying that they're right to cut fast mana out of the game, it's just the trend that I've noticed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the idea was to cut "unfun" stuff out of the game but the problem is that lots of the threats they design are unfun.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

80s James Hetfield posted:

As long as they don't ban any of the 3 fog spells I'm good

Don't hold your breath. That deck has wrecked enough havoc on three LGS for long enough.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'd be legitimately surprised if anything is banned for Modern. The only thing that's popped up as a major threat is Death's Shadow, and that won't eat a ban because there are too many 1 mana kill spells for it.

I'm more interested in what could possibly be unbanned. There's obviously been lots of discussion about Jace, but but I don't think control needs another toy. I'd like to see BBE, just to see how Jund would change because of it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the idea was to cut "unfun" stuff out of the game but the problem is that lots of the threats they design are unfun.

What is actually fun about Magic?

For me at least it's not the combat.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

What is actually fun about Magic?

For me at least it's not the combat.

I can only assume they thought playing a cool dude and having it eat a Hero's Downfall was "unfun." I don't get why that's a card that rotated to begin with rather than seeing an almost immediate reprint given they were planning to print Gideon the second it rotated.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I think they'll ban the cat, but the only way they could realistically improve Standard through bannings would be to ban Winding Constrictor, Felidar Guardian, Aetherworks Marvel and Heart of Kiran, and they aren't gonna do that.

The cat does nothing good for standard beyond make several decks completely non-viable because they can't interact with the combo.

If Amonkhet really has good cards that dish out -1/-1 counters, that'll take care of the Constrictor problem.

I could live with seeing Heart go and them just admitting further they hosed up on vehicles.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I can only assume they thought playing a cool dude and having it eat a Hero's Downfall was "unfun." I don't get why that's a card that rotated to begin with rather than seeing an almost immediate reprint given they were planning to print Gideon the second it rotated.

Because they were "reprinting" it in Ruinous Path. It fits the set better but obviously awaken being upside at 7 mana isn't worth losing instant speed. Hero's Downfall is also a little bit oppressive in that expensive planeswalkers are less viable. You can certainly make the argument that it creates interesting deck building choices between it and Murder that simply wouldn't exist with Downfall in the format.

I just hope they don't go crazy, ban the Cat or nothing at all. Once you start getting rid of pieces like Scrounger, Gideon, Heart of Kiran or winding Constrictor you don't know what type of format you wind up with, and banning the chase mythics is just not good for standard.

I'd have them announce that the Cat is going to be banned as soon as Amonkhet is legal, I feel like that's the best compromise that can be had given the state of things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Marketing New Brain posted:

Because they were "reprinting" it in Ruinous Path. It fits the set better but obviously awaken being upside at 7 mana isn't worth losing instant speed. Hero's Downfall is also a little bit oppressive in that expensive planeswalkers are less viable. You can certainly make the argument that it creates interesting deck building choices between it and Murder that simply wouldn't exist with Downfall in the format.

I just hope they don't go crazy, ban the Cat or nothing at all. Once you start getting rid of pieces like Scrounger, Gideon, Heart of Kiran or winding Constrictor you don't know what type of format you wind up with, and banning the chase mythics is just not good for standard.

I'd have them announce that the Cat is going to be banned as soon as Amonkhet is legal, I feel like that's the best compromise that can be had given the state of things.

I stopped reading when you said hero's downfall is oppressive.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

I stopped reading when you said hero's downfall is oppressive.

Yeah to planeswalker design. . . .is that controversial? They have enough time balancing them as is, downfall just makes you not want to put planeswalkers in your deck, which is bad for business.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Marketing New Brain posted:

Yeah to planeswalker design. . . .is that controversial? They have enough time balancing them as is, downfall just makes you not want to put planeswalkers in your deck, which is bad for business.

I am pretty sure planeswalkers still saw a healthy amount of play the entire time it was in the format. Having good answers for good cards isn't oppressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

I am pretty sure planeswalkers still saw a healthy amount of play the entire time it was in the format. Having good answers for good cards isn't oppressive.

It was in the same set as Elspeth, Sun's Champion, who was a domineering force for her tenure.

• Locked thread