Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Pretty sure cooking where you poop was one of those things we learned not to do a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I do know folks who had a shower cabin installed in their kitchen, but it's very much not like that and most importantly there is no goddamn toilet in sight.

(Old apartment house, built before the idea of modern bathroom facilities, and they only now got around to fixing it. The toilet's in a separate room that goes off the stairwell. A surprisingly common sight around these parts; in fact my apartment used to be like that, but they put in a nice bathroom and converted the stairwell toilet into storage, which is pretty unique and turns out to be incredibly handy to boot.)

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Heres the Imgur album from the original reddit post. Also:

https://imgur.com/a/KArx0

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would almost rather have a shower down the hall at that point.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Your kitchen vent doubles as your bathroom fan!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I wonder if the shower has a garbage disposal in the drain so you can do your vegetable prep while you wash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15puo-dSEIY

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I wonder if the shower has a garbage disposal in the drain so you can do your vegetable prep while you wash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15puo-dSEIY

No need to waffle stomp!

In other news:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Please say there are stairs in the arms.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Art project, spite house, or both?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i live in the dick room

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Buff Skeleton posted:

Domestikator symbolises the power of humanity over the world. It pays tribute to the ingenuity, the sophistication and the capacities of humanity, to the power of organisation, and to the use of this power to dominate, domesticate the natural environment. The act of domestication, however, often leads to boundaries being sought or even crossed. Only a few taboos remain, and it is these taboos that the Domestikator seeks to address. At the same time, one could argue that humanity itself is being domesticated by the optimized systems and organizations of the digital world and the advancement of science.
Domestikator’s themes coincide with a number of recurring topics in the work of Atelier Van Lieshout, like utopia, dystopia, idealism, power, ethics, religion, love and reproduction. Domestikator is part of the ongoing series New Tribal Labyrinth. New Tribal Labyrinth presents a vision of a future yet primitive world, a society inhabited by imaginary tribes where ethics will be of little importance. This world will see a return to farming and industry, to rituals and rites – with Domestikator as a temple for a new religion, a place where the high priest can address the masses.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

Domestikator symbolises the power of humanity over the world. It pays tribute to the ingenuity, the sophistication and the capacities of humanity, to the power of organisation, and to the use of this power to dominate, domesticate the natural environment. The act of domestication, however, often leads to boundaries being sought or even crossed. Only a few taboos remain, and it is these taboos that the Domestikator seeks to address. At the same time, one could argue that humanity itself is being domesticated by the optimized systems and organizations of the digital world and the advancement of science.
Domestikator’s themes coincide with a number of recurring topics in the work of Atelier Van Lieshout, like utopia, dystopia, idealism, power, ethics, religion, love and reproduction. Domestikator is part of the ongoing series New Tribal Labyrinth. New Tribal Labyrinth presents a vision of a future yet primitive world, a society inhabited by imaginary tribes where ethics will be of little importance. This world will see a return to farming and industry, to rituals and rites – with Domestikator as a temple for a new religion, a place where the high priest can address the masses.

You could have humans having rear-entry sex in one of the heads and animals having sex in the other for a real "gently caress the neighbors" scenario.

Also lol @ the idea of a society with rituals, rites, priests, and temples but somehow has no ethics. Ok. Sure.

crazypeltast52 posted:

See, I want to say that text is made up, but I can't bring myself to call bullshit because I've read enough art manifestos to think that it is real.

Same.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 11, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

See, I want to say that text is made up, but I can't bring myself to call bullshit because I've read enough art manifestos to think that it is real.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I like that people are getting upset about it looking like a couple having sex, when it's obviously a man having sex with a farm animal.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

crazypeltast52 posted:

http://www.domusweb.it/en/news/2015/08/28/atelier_van_lieshout_the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly.html

Alereon posted:

I like that people are getting upset about it looking like a couple having sex, when it's obviously a man having sex with a farm animal.

http://www.ateliervanlieshout.com/works/

Domestikator
Domestikator is a large scale artwork that serves as a totem, a temple and a beacon. It symbolizes the power of humanity over the world and pays tribute to the ingenuity, the sophistication and the capacities of humanity, to the power of organisation, and to the use of this power to dominate the natural environment. In order to support 7 billion people, agriculture has become an industry, with factory farming and genetic manipulation a necessity. This provides us with an ethical dilemma, as this kind of farming seems to border on abuse. At the same time, the literal abuse of animals, bestiality, is one of the last remaining taboos. Why is it that treating an animal like a fellow human is an unspeakable act, whilst treating an animal like a resource for industrial production is the norm?

Domestikator is part of the larger installation The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The Good the Bad and the Ugly is a temporary settlement in Bochum, Germany that was designed for the Ruhrtriennale, a festival for theatre, music, dance and arts.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cephalopods posted:

what an arty urinal

I went to a bar years ago with a friend and the sink was literally a urinal trough with taps above it, I realised this just in time but my friend didn't when he went later and pissed in the sink.

We were both drunk and it turned out the only reason people went to that bar was to buy drugs so I guess toilets weren't high on their agenda.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 12, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Budgie posted:

Pretty sure cooking where you poop was one of those things we learned not to do a long time ago.

There are preserved Roman kitchens in Pompeii that have toilets in them because that's what the Romans did. One had the Evil Eye drawn on the wall next to it with 'shitter beware' in latin next to it.

Unsurprisingly the exhibit said that food poisoning was rife.

Well anyway those are my bathroom stories, beware fellow shitters!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Buff Skeleton posted:

Art project, though I prefer to think that the architect's secretary just got off the phone and said "Wow, what a grouch! Umm, boss? I just got off the phone with a customer. He says he wants a loving house..."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just shocking.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ashcans posted:

If you've already installed wallmounts and then realize that your client is too robust for them, it's probably easier to put in a brace than redo it all.

We never had a porkchop (I really hope that is a true story) but stuff everywhere was a regular thing. Also blocking toilets and then repeatedly trying to flush them and flooding the stall/room. Inevitably this is because someone was stuffing pads or tampons down there. Come on people, there is a receptacle for those right there in the stall, unless you are some poor kid having your first experience with this what are you doing? Why do you hate us?

To be fair, in the men's room you'll almost always have some jackass who throws the disposable hand towels into a urinal. You know it doesn't flush stuff down, quit it! :argh: But that usually doesn't result in a flood.

There are a lot of women who don't know that you aren't supposed to flush menstrual products, sanitary wipes, and diapers down the toilet. Which seems insane except then you remember all the other misinformation, hearsay, and bullshit urban legends you've ever heard about menstruation/women's bodies and realize that there's no reason for basic plumbing maintenance to be the exception.

There are also assholes who know and do it anyway.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
So would this be a bottle cap table that does not suck?

He collected caps for 5 years to redo the kitchen

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

There are a lot of women who don't know that you aren't supposed to flush menstrual products, sanitary wipes, and diapers down the toilet. Which seems insane except then you remember all the other misinformation, hearsay, and bullshit urban legends you've ever heard about menstruation/women's bodies and realize that there's no reason for basic plumbing maintenance to be the exception.

There are also assholes who know and do it anyway.

It doesn't help that a bunch of things that shouldn't be flushed have "flushable" right on the label.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fire Storm posted:

A friend of mine made a bottle cap coffee table in college. He simply mailed Abita brewery and explained his project and they sent him back a whole box of unused caps in several varieties.

It's obviously not as fun as drinking a few hundred beers, but it's a lot cheaper for sure.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fire Storm posted:

That single one that got flipped over is going to bug them so badly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Synthbuttrange posted:

That single one that got flipped over is going to bug them so badly.

They flipped a few over on purpose where they had funny messages under the cap.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

cakesmith handyman posted:

They flipped a few over on purpose where they had funny messages under the cap in order to torment the OCD people in their social circle and drive them to madness.

More likely.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

More likely.

Nah, the OCD people will already be tormented by the need to count and then categorize them. If you really wanted to mess them up, gradually make each row of caps a tiny bit narrower than the one before it (like just imperceptably squish the caps so they're a tiny bit narrower in one dimension) and then start adding caps to each row, so at one end of the bar there's like 15 caps across and at the other end it's up to 18.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The OCD people are already too crippled by anxiety that they'll make some normal mistake and condemn themselves/everyone around them to a horrific death to worry about the bottle caps
[/buzzkill]

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Crappy street construction tales.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Where in Philadelphia is this?

(Edit for content) Good luck getting your mail. Or escaping in the event of a fire.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 13, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

(Edit for content) Good luck getting your mail. Or escaping in the event of a fire.

Grow a pair of legs and jump the railing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 13, 2017

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Some kind of lift for wheelchairs on the right?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PainterofCrap posted:

Man, good guess. 16th and Sansom.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

a sexual elk posted:

Some kind of lift for wheelchairs on the right?

That sure looks like a wheelchair elevator. A poor looking install, but people who need those things don't usually have a ton of money to pay some to make it look good and insurance probbaly only covers the basic install.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Crappy Construction
Hundreds of pounds concrete used to weigh something down
Safety fuckups
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RhTXMLrR5c

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah when the concrete block starts swinging loose oh god.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why would you put the concrete slab on top instead of the bottom? :psyduck:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

added stability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

To have the stabilizing mass closest and more securely fastened to the rotating mass? If you have it in the bottom, the table itself becomes a link in the mechanical chain. On the top, at least it's attached to the lathe and is directly assisting without a wobbly table in the way.

Still a bad idea.