Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

spectralent posted:

They just didn't because, I stress, they forgot the warsaw pact existed
I call bullshit, no one is that stupid. That's like forgetting that Russia is no longer Tsarist or something. Can I get a citation on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

Oh, man, would that be period appropriate? Because if so, :allears:
Yeah, they kept them until the mid 90's but they were poo poo so the only time they'd actually be used would be a WWIII situation. It makes total sense in the context of Team Yankee, but is also really silly otherwise.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I may have solved the para wheelbarrow mystery: It looks like it was used to move mortars and ammo around, at least according to a 1/35th scale model kit I found.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Pierzak posted:

I call bullshit, no one is that stupid. That's like forgetting that Russia is no longer Tsarist or something. Can I get a citation on that?

As I said a bit further down, I'm being slightly unfair, it was more that they made an entire lineup of NATO stuff and realised after they'd already started that they had nothing planned for the Soviets until Red Thunder so they rushed Volksarmee early to fill a gap.

It was on one of their massive rambly podcast interviews, so it might be a while before I can find it because podcasts are literally the worst medium of communication mankind has ever devised.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

moths posted:

I may have solved the para wheelbarrow mystery: It looks like it was used to move mortars and ammo around, at least according to a 1/35th scale model kit I found.

Yep. My airlanding reenactment unit has been looking for one, in fact.

https://paradata.org.uk/content/airborne-handcart

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

How many points for an Ostin-Putilovets?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I finished a deployment point for FIW - an American frontiersman overseeing supplies at the camp.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Pierzak posted:

No BF is that stupid.

They consistently under estimate or over estimate demand for their games by comical amounts.

So a few years back they saw that they were going to need to expand beyond ww2 and then saw that people by overwhelming amounts wanted 1980s Cold War gone hot and said ,"naw that will never work". So we got Vietnam instead because they watched full metal jacket and thought this would make a great company level war game!

It was poo poo and it took years in some cases for them to make good on some of the pre orders mostly from us players needing 100 Huey's for their list.

One of the main complants about the Vietnam game was that one side had almost no vecheles to speak of and so nothing to hook players into it. So do they do Cold War gone hot? Nope now it's Egypt vs Israel and no it's not that war it's the other one. poo poo sucked because it was an unplayable mess and one side required a $500 min buy in to play.

So ok now do we get Cold War gone hot? Nope it's WW1 time because when you think of FoW you think infantry trench warfare!

So finally they put team Yankee out but at the same time try to put out Pacific theater WW2 and we're shocked as hell when TY took off and pacific bombed just like everything else they put out that wasn't WW3 that nobody wanted.

Then yeah BFs was going to fleash out all of NATO before the PACT got an update. Seriously they thought they could do that! Idiots all of them

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

In general, I was very surprised at little WWI stuff was out for the centennial. Not just from BF, but from anybody. Several companies didn't even announce anything until 2015, which is way late.

Would have been smarter to get everything on shelves for 2014, with plans for it to dry up right around now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
For reasons the MilHist thread can explain, WWI is sort of treated really seriously in a way that WWII just isn't. I get the impression that sheer ignorance of WWI combat helped ensure that nobody really bothered with a few notable exceptions like BF's halfassed FoW port and PSC's The Great War.

Numlock posted:

So we got Vietnam instead because they watched full metal jacket and thought this would make a great company level war game!
Point of order! It was We Were Soldiers, which was a Battalion level fight.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Arquinsiel posted:

For reasons the MilHist thread can explain, WWI is sort of treated really seriously in a way that WWII just isn't.

My short theory is that this is because WWII (and its subsequent years) completely overlap the golden age of Hollywood.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

moths posted:

My short theory is that this is because WWII (and its subsequent years) completely overlap the golden age of Hollywood.

Also the perception is that WW1 is the tragic war where people just stood and died in mud, so you see a lot fewer movies, videogames, etc. about it.

Except artsy French comics where people stand and die in mud.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

lilljonas posted:

Also the perception is that WW1 is the tragic war where people just stood and died in mud, so you see a lot fewer movies, videogames, etc. about it.

Except artsy French comics where people stand and die in mud.

Wouldn't Lawrence of Arabia, if nothing else, provide a theoretical basis for a non-Western Front WWI game on land?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

X-post from the Miniature Painting thread, gently caress it I'm going with 10mm because I can't paint for poo poo anymore so may as well be blobs:

Infact i've actually just bought some 40mm x 30mm MDF bases and I'm going to use printed unit cards to represent my troops until I can settle on a particular scale or game. The following represent uneasy-ally Austrian and late war British Infantry Divisions, with attached Cavalry Divisions with 'stats' from Lasalle printed. I'm going to print them on A3 paper then use some weak glue to stick them to the bases.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

I finished a deployment point for FIW - an American frontiersman overseeing supplies at the camp.

This is cool! What scale is it?

I'm working on building some JOPs for my Oath this month.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Davin Valkri posted:

Wouldn't Lawrence of Arabia, if nothing else, provide a theoretical basis for a non-Western Front WWI game on land?

Yeah but Lawrence of Arabia is a tragedy depicting the futility of resistance in the face of European colonialism, and the waste of human life. All Quiet on the Western Front, A Farewell to Arms, WW1 literature is dark and depressing.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Tried a game of Battlegroup yesterday, and i quite like the mechanics of it. For being an IGOUGO styled game, it didn't very much feel like that due to the random amount of activations per player turn.
There's also some quite interesting mechanics regarding supply of ammunition to tanks and artillery, making the softer details of a battle more important.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Gesundheit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Frobbe posted:

Tried a game of Battlegroup yesterday, and i quite like the mechanics of it. For being an IGOUGO styled game, it didn't very much feel like that due to the random amount of activations per player turn.
There's also some quite interesting mechanics regarding supply of ammunition to tanks and artillery, making the softer details of a battle more important.
When I tried it I really enjoyed the chit-based activation and the way it handled suppression rather than aimed fire.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Ilor posted:

This is cool! What scale is it?

I'm working on building some JOPs for my Oath this month.

28mm =) the dude is from Galloping Major, fire and supplies are Ristuls Market

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Frobbe posted:

Battlegroup is fantastic. The ammo tracking and good tank on tank combat is so much fun.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Late Romans are really cool and also fun to paint.

:hist101:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman posted:

Late Romans are really cool and also fun to paint.

:hist101:

He be like 'woah'

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Interesting - I've ordered a bunch of 40mm x 30mm bases to use as stand-in units for LaSalle, and while they're coming I've been checking out other rulesets like Polemnos, etc. - and stumbled across Black Powder. I've realised that I've honestly really looked at none of the Warlord Games series. I guess I'm somewhat biased because in my mind at least, later games tend to be better than earlier ones. I know there are exceptions (40k!) but I keep thinking: Well, "Black Powder" was released in 2009 and 'Pike and Shotte' was released in 2012 - so there must be at least three years worth of lessons learned and revisions to it.

This historical gaming thing really is a total gateway-to-Narnia thing isn't it? The second I think about 1812 Russian Napoleonics, I made that tangent into Pike and Shotte (and then backwards into the War of the Roses infantry I have from Perry). Of course, my 'favourite' semi-mythical era is the Dark Ages so there's obviously KowH and Saga for that. Lastly, I never really got to do my ancients thing with DBA so maybe I should check Hail Caesar, Impetvs, too? :)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Southern Heel posted:

Interesting - I've ordered a bunch of 40mm x 30mm bases to use as stand-in units for LaSalle, and while they're coming I've been checking out other rulesets like Polemnos, etc. - and stumbled across Black Powder. I've realised that I've honestly really looked at none of the Warlord Games series. I guess I'm somewhat biased because in my mind at least, later games tend to be better than earlier ones. I know there are exceptions (40k!) but I keep thinking: Well, "Black Powder" was released in 2009 and 'Pike and Shotte' was released in 2012 - so there must be at least three years worth of lessons learned and revisions to it.

This historical gaming thing really is a total gateway-to-Narnia thing isn't it? The second I think about 1812 Russian Napoleonics, I made that tangent into Pike and Shotte (and then backwards into the War of the Roses infantry I have from Perry). Of course, my 'favourite' semi-mythical era is the Dark Ages so there's obviously KowH and Saga for that. Lastly, I never really got to do my ancients thing with DBA so maybe I should check Hail Caesar, Impetvs, too? :)

Don't look now, but Warlord just launched a promotion for a free box of infantry if you buy a one of their historical rulesets (except BA).

So it's Flames of War v4 launch Weekend.

And I've kind of realised that I can't trade in my V3 rulebook at my LGS. Is it only this weekend they allow trade-ins? Because otherwise I may have to go for a drive.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Don't look now, but Warlord just launched a promotion for a free box of infantry if you buy a one of their historical rulesets (except BA).

So it's Flames of War v4 launch Weekend.

And I've kind of realised that I can't trade in my V3 rulebook at my LGS. Is it only this weekend they allow trade-ins? Because otherwise I may have to go for a drive.

Don't they do that frequently? I know they did with Gates of Antares too.

I can't seem to find any Pike and Shotte batreps and I'm fairly certain based on a skim through the rules that it would be quite similar to KoW Historical. Black Powder seems interesting as per this batrep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO2Dr0RnD2o

It seems the main differentiation between KoW and these two are the Command & Control aspect with command values and orders, and the odd movement mechanic. I guess I asked for something closer to 'traditional' mechanics than Lasalle/Blucher and this is definitely along those lines, but now I'm grumbling because they're almost too similar! Ha!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Only a true grog complains that their wish was fulfilled too well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Southern Heel posted:

It seems the main differentiation between KoW and these two are the Command & Control aspect with command values and orders, and the odd movement mechanic. I guess I asked for something closer to 'traditional' mechanics than Lasalle/Blucher and this is definitely along those lines, but now I'm grumbling because they're almost too similar! Ha!

Kings of war and black powder are both descendants from warhammer fantasy in a lot of ways, so it's not surprising you're noticing a lot of similarities in gameplay style.

Going off your posting in the thread, I think you'd enjoy that family of warlord rulesets. In my experience black powder, while designed for 28mm, is really easy to play at whatever scale you want. I assume the same holds true for pike and shot but I've never got it on the table.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Black Powder is cool, but the command mechanics can make people really upset unless you make their commanders better than average. Basically you can spend a few turns doing nothing if you roll poorly.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I have been reading the thread for a while but it's mostly been oohin and aahing and cool minis than anything else. Can I ask if there's sort of a goon consensus on Bolt Action? My FLGS is about to start carrying it and (of course) I'm tempted.

Main questions are a) is it fun, b) do the rules as-written basically work or do you need to house rule/gentleman's agreement a bunch of poo poo and c) how expensive is the buy in?

Thanks for any thoughts.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

evenworse username posted:

I have been reading the thread for a while but it's mostly been oohin and aahing and cool minis than anything else. Can I ask if there's sort of a goon consensus on Bolt Action? My FLGS is about to start carrying it and (of course) I'm tempted.

Main questions are a) is it fun, b) do the rules as-written basically work or do you need to house rule/gentleman's agreement a bunch of poo poo and c) how expensive is the buy in?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I think the closest to a consensus you'll find is that

A) it's Hollywood WW2, for good and bad, which might change the fun factor depending on your preferrenses
B) if people around you play it, it's a good entry point to collecting historicals, especially if you come from a 40K background. After all, if you end up not liking it you can use the minis for a ton of other WW2 games.

The BA starters seems to be around 75-90 GBP. It's not the cheapest WW2 game since the BA armies tend to have quite a lot of "toys" like tanks, artillery and guns on the table, which is usually the more expensive models. But it's not 40K expensive. You can find deals on second hand stuff, especially if you are in the US.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 11, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so I spoke to my opponent and he wants to try Napoleonics (well, at least he said "that s**t with the big hats and muskets sounds good') so I'm thinking Lasalle or Black Powder. I wish I could get an idea of a game size for the latter - the starter set's French side comes with 2 standard regiments, a regiment of horse and a cannon. I guess this is an extremely small game (akin to WHFB/WH40k 'boxed set' games?) - at £56 for over 100 figures I'm tempted.

A pair of pendraken 10mm armies will on paper at least give me something like 10 regiments each and be able to play double-duty with Lasalle, but that might be unmanageably large for Black Powder (altho the rulebook has an English v. French scenario with north of 20 regiments per side on a 12' x 6' table).

EDIT: Sneaking my slightly repainted Jaeger in here as well:

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 11, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Black Powder was written to use Rick Priestly and the Perry Bros' personal collections. As you may imagine, since the Perry's sculpt models for a living, they have a large collection. I think the rulebook says they used a 14' table at 28mm.

Something you can do (and that I attempted but then never followed through on) is use 10mm minis, which are stupid cheap, and then use centimeters instead of inches for ranges.

Then you can play on a regular 4x6 table.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

HA! That makes sense :) W/R to 10mm, I think that's what I'm planning to be honest - then those multi-based units can work for BP and Lasalle and KoW at a pinch (my opponent's choice to go with BP instead of P&S makes the KoW equivalence a LITTLE more awkward but not too much, this seems like a reasonable KoW armylist for Napoleonics: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_WwVIuVEdt4ekxsaGZPc3pqU0U/view).

The question really is - how many regiments does one need for a 'decent' game of BP? The Austrian "Venzone" force I mentioned a little way back roughly works out to around 350pts (based on fudging the numbers in the very strange points-calculator section) and consists of three large infantry regiments, one large cavalry regiment, one standard cavalry regiment and three cannon. The 'starter set' French force is around 133pts. The example British vs French force in the book is >750pts.

EDIT: this page (http://ferbsfightingforces.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/kings-of-war-napoleonics.html) suggests a BP game of 20 units per side would be done in around 2½ hrs - so I guess 10-15 units would get me in that 1-1½ hour space.

EDIT2: god I don't even give a poo poo about the english civil war but all I can think about is pikes and matchlocks now.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 11, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

lilljonas posted:

I think the closest to a consensus you'll find is that

A) it's Hollywood WW2, for good and bad, which might change the fun factor depending on your preferrenses
B) if people around you play it, it's a good entry point to collecting historicals, especially if you come from a 40K background. After all, if you end up not liking it you can use the minis for a ton of other WW2 games.

The BA starters seems to be around 75-90 GBP. It's not the cheapest WW2 game since the BA armies tend to have quite a lot of "toys" like tanks, artillery and guns on the table, which is usually the more expensive models. But it's not 40K expensive. You can find deals on second hand stuff, especially if you are in the US.

You need a copy of the rules and can then play games from 250+ points. 500 points is a fairly common level to play, and a lot of the 500 point starters are £35-40. A single plastic box will get you most of the way to 500 points.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I wrote up a battle report of my second game of Sharp Practice 2. There's close combat butchery, fleeing Frenchmen, uncontrolled fire, but most importantly:

There's a drum-off behind a shed

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/battle-report-the-steeplechase-french-vs-russians

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

^^Drum Line 2: Kickin' it Old School^^

Thanks for any thoughts.

I think Bolt Action is a lot of fun. I like gaming systems that allow me to play pickup games with people outside my gaming group, so I prefer Bolt Action over other WW2 systems because there doesn't need to be a bunch of houserules or fan-made army lists, ect.

Buying lots of tanks and support equipment can get expensive, but if you want to build a mostly infantry force it can be pretty cheap. I built two 750 point armies from this website for $100 - Japanese and US Marines, so infantry heavy lists:
http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/wagase.html

There are almost always specials going on that allow you to buy more for less. Also, if you're patient you can comb through the BA stuff on Amazon, which is not organized at all and a complete clusterfuck. A lot of stuff seems to get labelled or priced incorrectly on there so I've been able to pick up some items at less than 50% of retail cost due to retailer mistakes.

You can also use this free site to build lists and then can figure out how much $$ it would cost you: http://boltaction.easyarmy.com/

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lilljonas posted:

I wrote up a battle report of my second game of Sharp Practice 2. There's close combat butchery, fleeing Frenchmen, uncontrolled fire, but most importantly:

There's a drum-off behind a shed

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/battle-report-the-steeplechase-french-vs-russians

Excellent report, i really enjoyed reading it - great photos and easy to follow.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Excellent report, i really enjoyed reading it - great photos and easy to follow.

Thanks! It's always hard to know the proper balance between too much and not enough details, so I'm happy you liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Thanks for any thoughts.

It's a lot of fun, the rules are solid, and it's pretty cheap compared to most minus retail games.

I made a FIW deployment point - the local town elders are checking out the palisade the militia is working in.