Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LemonDrizzle posted:

On a personal level, I think the only thing you can do is to make sure your financial position is robust and that you have exit options if you need them. I'd certainly be wary of making a house purchase at this point.

I would be trying to divest myself of any debt, particularly that secured on homes. The fact is no-one really knows what will happen, but if the economy goes into the toilet like most expect, an interest rise is very likely to try and cap inflation. Anything tied to the bank of england base rate, like flexible rate mortgages and in particular, credit card debt, would rocket skyward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

LemonDrizzle posted:

On a personal level, I think the only thing you can do is to make sure your financial position is robust and that you have exit options if you need them. I'd certainly be wary of making a house purchase at this point.

Maybe this'll finally destroy the UK property market so housing isn't insane.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LemonDrizzle posted:

I honestly don't think it will be that huge of an (economic) disaster. Obviously nobody knows though, and house prices can be finicky at the best of times.

Still if you think you want to stay in the house until you pay off your mortgage then it's not that bad. But yeah interest rates rise or unemployment could throw a wrench into that too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Ive said this before but I'd be happy if there was never another referendum in the U.K. on any question ever again.

What was the Clement Attlee quote about referendums again?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Ive said this before but I'd be happy if there was never another referendum in the U.K. on any question ever again.
Perhaps we should put that question to the public in a strictly advisory manner.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think Westminster should or will block it (though it's not really a 'block' more as a 'fail to agree to give one'), but I think it's reasonable that the timing of it is negotiated, especially if the Brexit negotiations are underway.

So you think Labour in Holyrood should vote against a referendum but Labour in Westminster should vote for it. Seems like you agree with the positions of both Dugdale and Corbyn.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

spectralent posted:

Maybe this'll finally destroy the UK property market so housing isn't insane.

Too much relies on the housing market staying positive. The government will prop it up no matter the cost to the rest of the country. What is more likely is a jump in foreclosures and bankruptcies of people on lower-mid incomes who have high levels of credit card debt and no savings. For a lot of people they only make the minimum payments each month, and a rise of 2% will send them into a spiral which they will not get out of.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

So you think Labour in Holyrood should vote against a referendum but Labour in Westminster should vote for it. Seems like you agree with the positions of both Dugdale and Corbyn.

I think that Jeremy Corbyn shouldn't undermine Scottish Labour's party line and if he wants to change that party line he should do so before blurting out what's on his mind like an OAP being questioned on local radio while doing their shopping.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Breath Ray posted:

So the labour party should represent the beliefs of all its supporters however contradictory?
Not at all. Labour should (and must) have a series of principles they advocate for. Few people will agree with all of them. Where I advocate concern is when the party takes stances in opposition to those principles... Labour, party of looking out for the working class, could justify cutting taxes and NHS funding-because who else will people in favor of redistribution and NHS vote for? It makes clear that the party's principle is less important than power though, and those who support the shift should know their principles could be the next one sold out for centrism (or in support of a hypothetical leader, let's call him Tony).

Pissflaps posted:

Are you talking about that Brexit three line whip?
And the coinciding mockery about "what, they'll vote Lib Dem?"

But inevitably, our chasing the center is wise pragmatism while your chasing the center is selling out principles for power.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

serious gaylord posted:

Too much relies on the housing market staying positive. The government will prop it up no matter the cost to the rest of the country. What is more likely is a jump in foreclosures and bankruptcies of people on lower-mid incomes who have high levels of credit card debt and no savings. For a lot of people they only make the minimum payments each month, and a rise of 2% will send them into a spiral which they will not get out of.

If the entire economy implodes anyway, though, it'd be just another thing that went. I mean, it's bad, but whatever happens at the end of Brexit barring some kind of miraculous amicable divorce is going to be an utter disaster, so if the country's going to crash and burn it could least do so in a way that's sustainable when rebuilding.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Baron Corbyn posted:

What was the Clement Attlee quote about referendums again?

Either “the referendum is a device of dictators and demagogues” or "the public are too poorly informed, lets ask them as little as possible", I forget which.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm a little worried about flaps contempt for the elderly

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36506163

watch it here you lazy fucks

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think we should love, cherish and respect the elderly.

Unless they're dismantling the Labour Party as an effective parliamentary democracy. There's better ways of keeping your mind active.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Perhaps we should put that question to the public in a strictly advisory manner.

Someones been watching the Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer i see

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pistol_Pete posted:

The UK public is currently living in a fool's paradise where they have no concept of what a fundamental change leaving the EU's going to be and just how much it's going to hurt them.

With that said, what do you think people (i.e. me) can do to try and mitigate the damage to themselves? Save as much as possible? Spend like there's no tomorrow? Dig a bomb shelter? I mean, I'm thinking of buying a new place but if the economy's going to go to poo poo, I might as well stick where I am. Any opinions?

Couldn't hurt to look into your possibilities for leaving the country. Not saying anyone should leave, just that there's no harm in having an idea of where you'd go, what you'd need to do and how you'd arrange it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
That sounds really scary to those of us unlikely to be able to leave. I don't see anywhere in Europe as particularly enticing and while I have a degree it's not STEM or in demand so the chances of getting a job or being head hunted is low-impossible. Am I going to die? If the best course of action is to literally flee if you can what the gently caress is going to happen to us that can't? You're giving me a panic attack.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
How bad is it really going to get? Like is everyone just overreacting or is this really going to be as bad as people are implying?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Don't worry about it. I mean, even if the UK does completely implode I am sure the EU will take a generous and compassionate stance toward refugees from a neighbouring failed state

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Regarde Aduck posted:

That sounds really scary to those of us unlikely to be able to leave. I don't see anywhere in Europe as particularly enticing and while I have a degree it's not STEM or in demand so the chances of getting a job or being head hunted is low-impossible. Am I going to die? If the best course of action is to literally flee if you can what the gently caress is going to happen to us that can't? You're giving me a panic attack.

What you don't like the sound of the Netherlands? or Sunny Lisbon, or Barce-loving-lona?! Or France with all it's delicious wine?

Berlin is a great place to live by all accounts.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tigey posted:

Don't worry about it. I mean, even if the UK does completely implode I am sure the EU will take a generous and compassionate stance toward refugees from a neighbouring failed state

Can't wait for France to build a concentration camp in the Channel Tunnel

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

and i must meme posted:

How bad is it really going to get? Like is everyone just overreacting or is this really going to be as bad as people are implying?

The genuine answer is nobody knows. The thread's taking the most pessimistic possibility for comfort, but nobody knows how anything's going to go down.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It'll be fine.

Economics is all made up stuff anyway.

The sky will not fall and the UK will still be one of the safest, best places to live on this stupid planet.

Will still be full of cunts mind, but it was before.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm not saying that that is what is going to happen, I'm just saying that if you are in a position to do so (and if Pistol_Pete is buying property than I assume he is, at least financially) then why would you not look into your options? The UK doesn't have to become a literal hellmouth for there to be better places to live abroad, and if you decide that things are becoming intolerable here then at least you already have an idea of your next move.

I don't know how else you can prepare because I, like everyone else, has no idea what's going to happen here. I assume "be loving loaded" would be a good start, but failing that not being here when the fallout lands seems a safe bet.

e: Also while it's not exactly a matter of just getting on a plane and starting your new life, I don't think moving abroad is as expensive or difficult as most people think. I'm probably going to leave the UK for a second time in the next couple of months, I can try and keep track of what it costs me to do so this time around and how long it takes to get set up. I reckon last time it cost me about £2k all-in, over maybe six weeks, but I didn't keep exact tabs and I had a contract signed and a job at the other end.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 11, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

and i must meme posted:

Nothing is going to happen for the next 2 years or so. After that, when the UK actually leaves the EU, there will be a period of 5 years or so where living conditions will slowly degrade, unemployment and inflation will rise, and the GBP will keep going down until it's equal to the US dollar (salaries won't go up though, and house prices won't go down).

I know I'm usually ringing the bells of doom in this thread, but in all honesty it won't be that bad. Quality of life in the UK will just go down a bit (to France/Spain levels), but it won't implode.

Hopefully after this is all well and done, people will elect a Labour government and public opinion will veer towards the left, and the UK will slowly start recovering.

As to what to do, if you're a professional in demand and a EU citizen, you can start getting ready to jump ship to greener pastures in ~2 years time (Amsterdam and Berlin are probably good choices). If you're neither, eh, hang in there I guess, it will pass.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I've got my eye on La Costa in Ecuador, will have to learn bloody Spanish though and for some reason i'm really bad at learning foreign languages.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

and i must meme posted:

Really bad. We have very little that other countries can't provide, so the incentive after we drop out of all our trade deals will not be for them to get us back on board as a business partner, but to steal all our profitable industries and become the economic hearts of Europe in our place.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Seaside Loafer posted:

I've got my eye on La Costa in Ecuador, will have to learn bloody Spanish though and for some reason i'm really bad at learning foreign languages.

It's easier when you're immersed in it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

big scary monsters posted:

This is true, but even more so if the locals don't speak perfect English (shakes fist at the Dutch).

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I honestly didn't really enjoy Berlin when I stayed there for a time. I much preferred Frankfurt.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobstar posted:

This is true, but even more so if the locals don't speak perfect English (shakes fist at the Dutch).

I found that after a few months of lessons my Dutch became just about good enough that they wouldn't immediately switch to English when I opened my mouth. From there you get better much faster! There's a definite level you need to achieve before they'll tolerate befouling their language by allowing you to speak it though.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

It is isn't it. Went to a town somewhere near Bonn in Germany for 2 weeks on school trip when I was a kid and was sort of half speaking crappy German by the end of it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I found that after a few months of lessons my Dutch became just about good enough that they wouldn't immediately switch to English when I opened my mouth. From there you get better much faster! There's a definite level you need to achieve before they'll tolerate befouling their language by allowing you to speak it though.

Yeah thankfully I've reached that point now. This followed a period of

Shop person (in Dutch): "Hallo!"
Me: oh no I've been rumbled... "Hello, sorry I'm English..."

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

HJB posted:

The genuine answer is nobody knows. The thread's taking the most pessimistic possibility for comfort, but nobody knows how anything's going to go down.

We're taking the most pessimistic possibility because the UK as a functioning state and economy has been deeply integrated with the EU for decades, and the people responsible for handling our emergency ejection (given the short timespan involved) seem to have no perspective whatsoever, a plan that reads more like a kid's letter to Santa, and none of the necessary negotiating structure or bargaining power in place

The 'optimistic' reading seems to be the equivalent of 'hope the EU gets hit by a bus', which only improves our position in a relative sense. I haven't heard any visions for a successful independent UK that don't just fall back on our equivalent of 'USA! USA! USA!' and poo poo about exporting jam and scones to anglophiles. There isn't really anything to be comforted by, except the hope that people will see how badly it's going and cancelling the whole thing (possibly even with meaningful improvements as a sweetener) will actually become politically viable

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Who in loving hell is Paul Cattermole and why do half of the posters in this thread have redtext about him?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
he is a referee

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lightning Lord posted:

Who in loving hell is Paul Cattermole and why do half of the posters in this thread have redtext about him?

I SPY STRANGERS!

*dons top hat, clears the viewing gallery in the house of commons*

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

jBrereton posted:

Pretty sure it's the 1 time the largest party by vote didn't win the GE but I might be wrong.

Not quite, it happened in February 1974 as well.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Lightning Lord posted:

smh if you aren't cool with the 'mole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lightning Lord posted:

Watch it

• Locked thread