Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alikchi posted:

Do you think the converter did a pretty good job?

The only problem I had was that the HRE itself came out with Greater Moravia owning like 2/3rds of Germany. Which aside from pretty boarders means the dynamics of the HRE are a bit screwy.

I think if I did it again, I'd edit the HRE so that there isn't one super power and a bunch of tiny states but try and balance it out a bit more even if that's not how the CK2 game ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

awesmoe posted:

What am I doing wrong/how am I so bad at this game, I thought coalitions were supposed to stop being a thing once you got powerful enough? In this game every motherfucker I've ever looked at joins a coalition the second they come off truce
(ottomans, going for wc, 1630, 650 force limit, 5700 great power points and next is commonwealth with 1k)

e: literally everyone in europe, about half of india, and about half of africa will coalition me if they have the chance

This is how I was doing in my WC run, around the same year (I finished with 10 years to spare):

I think you're doing better, I had more stuff in Asia but you've eaten a large chunk of Europe. And I wasn't in America or Indonesia by that point, but you are, meaning you have more CBs and more room to expand and spread AE around. It should totally be doable but you can't let coalitions slow you down. You should reach critical mass soon enough so they'll stop being an issue, but in the meantime keep attacking people on cooldown and try to get started with China. Europe, China and India are the highest development areas in the world so coring them will take a while. At least your Ming popped though, I had to break mine.

I hope you took religious ideas, I didn't and the 1600s were tough since I wasted way too many diplo points in peace deals. Plus converting your stuff should help with unrest.

Things will kick into high gear around 1680 when you get higher Admin Efficiency, Imperialism and Client States. Don't be discouraged, you can conquer a lot in the last 150 years, just make sure to stay near 99% overextension at all times. You're on the right track. But more importantly, what the gently caress is going on with Delhi?

Elman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 11, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it looks like delhi took the three provinces above bengal that are enormous but worthless

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

oddium posted:

it looks like delhi took the three provinces above bengal that are enormous but worthless

Lay some forts in there, let them come at you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

spectralent posted:

I may need a bit of a hand with the CK2 save converter.

1. I keep getting "Scandanavian Scandanavia" and other such constructions. Can I stop that?
2. What type of vassalage translates to being integrated, instead of a vassal? The Scandanavian empire seems to have an awful lot of ex-viceroyalty states as vassals instead of integral states.
3. Is it correct most states have generic ideals when converted, and if so, is this as simple as editing custom ideas into the converted folder?

I only think I can help you with your first question. I'm thinking that Scandinavia's capital isn't directly connected to the major bulk of Scandinavian provinces, leading to that funky designation to appear. There is the option to turn that kind of thing off, buried in the nation-selection-screen settings.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Man, now I've even tried revoking all my titles so I hold my kingdoms directly, and instead my duchies are now showing up as vassals :psyduck:

I don't think it's an authority thing since I abolished the council, have imperial administration, and full authority. They're not de-jure, but Scandanavian Africa isn't de-jure either but Scandanavia holds it personally.

Maybe I should ask the CK2 thread.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 11, 2017

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
How do you guys get that much that fast and not go over 100 OE? In my TU -> Prussia game I have to take decent breaks when I do 100 per war.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

How do you guys get that much that fast and not go over 100 OE? In my TU -> Prussia game I have to take decent breaks when I do 100 per war.

Mostly it's vassals. Take as much as you can, then start another war and feed it to a vassal. Once they get pretty big, like 150-200 dev (depending on your own size obviously) then annex them and continue the cycle. Good vassals are ones that take religious ideas, I prioritize that over almost everything other than a bunch of reclaimable cores. The nice thing about annexing them is you get a bunch of full-cores to make states in which will buff you good and you can make your next vassal a bit bigger.

If you get a PU that's even easier because they are a lot easier to keep happy it seems like, so you can let them get a bit bigger.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Chump Farts posted:

Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it is ok to go over 100 OE .

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The really nasty OE stuff is largely event-based, so if you feel like pushing your luck you could go a couple of months over 100. If you're about to win and are already coring a bunch of stuff that's near-done it might be worth it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Chump Farts posted:

By playing the Ottomans.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also in the mid to late game you start getting admin efficiency from tech, which reduces the impact of development on overextension. At ADM 27 you can directly annex up to 250 development without going over 100%.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm attempting to do a combined For Odin, First Come First Serve, and Ideas Guy run. But I wonder if my playstyle just isn't aggressive enough:

I started south of Mexico, and it's 1500. I conquered the Mayans and the Aztecs in the region, and started to colonize the Caribbean. Castile already has a slight presence there, too, so that's maybe a problem? I don't know.

I've just now finished seeding the Renaissance, and am waiting for it to spread naturally to my other provinces. But now there's Colonialism, and I'm sorely lacking in monarch points to catch up on tech, never mind seeding another institution...

In Europe, I could no-CB an ally-less England currently in peril, but I only have a few transport ships, and England still has a strong army, 34k to my force-limit of 32k, and they have that vital tech 7 while I'm at 6. I don't know how I'll even land my army, anyway.

Am I rushing? Am I too slow? Any advice? I don't normally go for achievement runs, because it turns out they're quite stressful for me!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe it would be easier to establish a beachhead on Ireland first. You still need to cross over to England somehow but at least you'd have a port in Europe.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

I'm attempting to do a combined For Odin, First Come First Serve, and Ideas Guy run. But I wonder if my playstyle just isn't aggressive enough:

I started south of Mexico, and it's 1500. I conquered the Mayans and the Aztecs in the region, and started to colonize the Caribbean. Castile already has a slight presence there, too, so that's maybe a problem? I don't know.

I've just now finished seeding the Renaissance, and am waiting for it to spread naturally to my other provinces. But now there's Colonialism, and I'm sorely lacking in monarch points to catch up on tech, never mind seeding another institution...

In Europe, I could no-CB an ally-less England currently in peril, but I only have a few transport ships, and England still has a strong army, 34k to my force-limit of 32k, and they have that vital tech 7 while I'm at 6. I don't know how I'll even land my army, anyway.

Am I rushing? Am I too slow? Any advice? I don't normally go for achievement runs, because it turns out they're quite stressful for me!

You should have seeded Renaissance as soon as it hits because you just ate 50 years of tech penalties. You don't need to rush over to kill Britain or get a foothold unless you have a golden opportunity. By the time you have most of NA and SA you should be powerful enough to take on whoever has Britain and Scandinavia. Why are monarch points so scarce, crappy leaders?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I wish colonial nations had more agency or something. I've been in several wars with France, had French Columbia's LD shoot to 100% and them not declare at all.

Declare! It's literally a free independence! Why do you like your French overlords so much?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

c'est la vie

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Detheros posted:

I wish colonial nations had more agency or something. I've been in several wars with France, had French Columbia's LD shoot to 100% and them not declare at all.

Declare! It's literally a free independence! Why do you like your French overlords so much?

CIs are proto-neoliberal proving grounds. They let the market decide all things. The status quo rules them.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
The end of my Babby's First EU4 Game. I went Ottomans to try to get a handle on war and whatnot.

Poland was my BFF through most of the game and I didn't want to hurt their feelings, hence that chunk of Lithuania. I decided that I had a grudge against Russia in the last 20 or so years because their country name was bigger than mine, and and so I beat the poo poo out of them and ruined their borders. I actually punched Russia so hard that they fell into a PU under Denmark as soon as the war finished.

I generally stayed out of Europe, because I have no idea what I'm doing. At some point Austria managed to inherit Great Britain, so I decided to stay away from that. In retrospect, near the endgame I could have taken on any alliance in the game and come out on top. I took quantity as my last idea for giggles, meaning I had by far the largest army and manpower reserves.

Lategame warfare is horribly tedious. Sieging level 8 (and even level 6) forts is so slow and boring and murders your manpower. I chose to not push further into India because Bengal and Andhra were allied and had maxed out forts loving everywhere.

In some ways, recommending Ottomans as a good start for new people is just going to skew their ideas about how warfare actually works. They have good ideas, tons of manpower, and easy access to a number of weak opponents to beat up and power up. You don't really need to use mercs or take out loans or deal with depleted manpower after early-mid game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Ottomans arguably have the best national idea in the game, Millets. Elan! is up there too. I'm sure there are valid arguments for others, but Millets is ridiculous in how it saves you so much time and admin points.

Before the Roman Empire was formable in Mare Nostrum, their ideas were extremely inflated. Legacy of Rome, which gives +2 diplomatic reputation now, gave +5 when you could only play it from an imported CK2 save pre-Mare Nostrum.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That Andhra :psyduck:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Potentially a dumb question but do converted games ever make formable nations? I have a huge nation of Rattas in my india, and it looks like it should be able to form Bharat readily but it's been a hundred years of observing and it doesn't. Same with Rus not making Russia.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

spectralent posted:

Potentially a dumb question but do converted games ever make formable nations? I have a huge nation of Rattas in my india, and it looks like it should be able to form Bharat readily but it's been a hundred years of observing and it doesn't. Same with Rus not making Russia.

I'm reasonably sure formation decisions will never be available unless the game had a historical setup.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

skasion posted:

I'm reasonably sure formation decisions will never be available unless the game had a historical setup.

Well that sucks. Guess I'm going to need to mod those in.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Looking at it, this is the text of the Russian decision (most of the others are similar):

(EDIT: The actual text is huge and ugly so I'll just assume you've got it)

So I've got you can't be a subject, you need admin 10, you need the right provinces, you need the right cultures and can't already be Russia, and so on.

The question is the block right at the start,

code:
potential = {
			normal_or_historical_nations = yes
			OR = {
				ai = no
				is_playing_custom_nation = no}
Would "normal or historical nations" be the base nations of a modded game providing the game wasn't set up with custom nations, and am I correct in parsing that as "if normal or historical nations don't exist, this decision can be taken by a non-custom human player"?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spectralent posted:

Looking at it, this is the text of the Russian decision (most of the others are similar):

(EDIT: The actual text is huge and ugly so I'll just assume you've got it)

So I've got you can't be a subject, you need admin 10, you need the right provinces, you need the right cultures and can't already be Russia, and so on.

The question is the block right at the start,

code:
potential = {
			normal_or_historical_nations = yes
			OR = {
				ai = no
				is_playing_custom_nation = no}
Would "normal or historical nations" be the base nations of a modded game providing the game wasn't set up with custom nations, and am I correct in parsing that as "if normal or historical nations don't exist, this decision can be taken by a non-custom human player"?

"Normal" setup is a standard map with historical nations, but with custom nations enabled
"Historical" setup is the same, but with custom nations disabled
An imported CK2 game is neither of these

The OR block means that the decision can be taken only be either A) a human player or B) a non-custom AI player. Rus is likely formed as a custom nation when it's imported, so it can't form Russia if it's AI-controlled

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

"Normal" setup is a standard map with historical nations, but with custom nations enabled
"Historical" setup is the same, but with custom nations disabled
An imported CK2 game is neither of these

The OR block means that the decision can be taken only be either A) a human player or B) a non-custom AI player. Rus is likely formed as a custom nation when it's imported, so it can't form Russia if it's AI-controlled

So it's not the game settings "normal" or "historical"?

That feels like it can't be right, it'd mean any nation mods would disable nation forming unless there's some text that specifically makes CK2 conversions not-normal. Which I kinda hope because that'd be much easier to delete than deleting all the lines that specify normal games :v:

EDIT: Yep it's literally just a line in the mod file. Hooray for laziness :toot:

Conversely the CK2 nations aren't marked out as custom nations, so that might have been what the issue was.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 12, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, I don't think that manually modifying a nation would set that flag, rather that's changing the definition of what "historical" means (as opposed to adding a custom nation)

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Only took 6 wars.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Detheros posted:

Only took 6 wars.

not even st. helena could contain napoleon...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Arrhythmia posted:

not even st. helena could contain napoleon...

Achievement: Napoleon Strikes Back. Start as a custom nation in 1444 on only St. Helena with 800 points, and conquer the France region.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Actually, it did a pretty good job.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Node posted:

Achievement: Napoleon Strikes Back. Start as a custom nation in 1444 on only St. Helena with 800 points, and conquer the France region.

drat, that's a good one.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Needs another name though. There's already a Ceylon Strikes Back.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Node posted:

they have two puns on "one ring to rule them all" in their achievements though.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Decided to do a game as Benin because they have the best flag (I seem to remember google searching best flag and it popped up). Benin has a big advantage in the region at least due to the fact that the starting tradition is 10% morale boost. If you can be aggressive and abuse how alliances are chained you can do fairly well so that you can enjoy seeing that awesome flag flying all over the place. First game I've had to use corruption in order to not go into a debt spiral but the autonomy cap from it is sneaky since that also ends up costing you a bunch of cash. AE doesn't matter either so starting off small isn't a big deal. You definitely need to expand really fast though otherwise you're going to be boxed in and eaten up by the other powers.

Almost 1500, top 5 great power and embraced the renaissance as well as getting exploration but I don't think I'll have the colonial range to discover S. America before 1500. Songhai is pretty crippled and Mali is the only country left that can put up a good fight but everyone is allied so it's not the easiest to smash through and conquer the rest of the region. 15 corruption so far and 4 loans but now I'm starting to hit a debt spiral so hopefully I can finish conquering the rest of the region before I go broke. If I can just finish off Songhai and cripple Mali a little more I can probably recover pretty easily, otherwise I'll have to give up colonizing for a little bit until I can recover my economy.

Since you start off small you can ignore loans and just debase currency to pay it all off when you are making a lot more money. Just remember that it caps your min autonomy so be careful to balance things off.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

spectralent posted:

So it's not the game settings "normal" or "historical"?

That feels like it can't be right, it'd mean any nation mods would disable nation forming unless there's some text that specifically makes CK2 conversions not-normal. Which I kinda hope because that'd be much easier to delete than deleting all the lines that specify normal games :v:

EDIT: Yep it's literally just a line in the mod file. Hooray for laziness :toot:

Conversely the CK2 nations aren't marked out as custom nations, so that might have been what the issue was.

That's actually intended behavior. IIRC when the converter first debuted a lot of people were angry that their awesome alt-history European nations were immediately clicking the "Form Nation" button. You can change it in the mod file or just tag switch over in-game and click the button for them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Prop Wash posted:

That's actually intended behavior. IIRC when the converter first debuted a lot of people were angry that their awesome alt-history European nations were immediately clicking the "Form Nation" button. You can change it in the mod file or just tag switch over in-game and click the button for them.

Huh. I guess I don't mind the idea that the kingdom of Rus is going to turn into the empire of Russia, personally.

Plus most of my places already became their super-selves, like italy is italy and spain is spain (and muslim :v:) already. Muslim spain actually seems to have custom NIs.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

While waiting for the next DLC I decided to try out some mods, currently giving a spin to Extended Timeline. The early years suck, everything is so slow and either you're Rome, or you're against Rome which are both kinda boring.

So I'm going to restart a little later when the world is a bit more diverse, thinking around the CK2 era. I also want to do a custom nation, what's the most overpowered steamrolling setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Node posted:

The Return of the Emperor

• Locked thread