Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

Cuck roast. In fact unless I can find a source of just the tips of brisket I am going all in on chucks.

fake edit: gently caress it, leaving cuck in there because reasons.

Chucks and pork shoulders are the most versatile imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

QuarkMartial posted:

If I wanted to experiment with a few different rubs and things, what are some cheap and small cuts of meat I could smoke?

All good advice you were given. Chuckies are a good choice and will turn out good. But price per lb, pork butt is where it is at.

If you buy the 3-4lb cuts (and for that matter, the bigger ones) I use disposable foil pans to collect the drippings since it will.

If you are planning on a somewhat long smoke that lasts several hours, toss other things in for lunch time midway through. Any type of sausage is good. Usually takes around an hour for those to smoke. And please take the temps of before serving.

The kicker with this whole drat hobby is you will never be satisfied. There will be no end to finding the magic recipe with rubs, the weather, the smoker, etc. Probably 98% of us change something in our next cooks to chase the dream of creating the best drat BBQ ever. It's a good hobby.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Fog Tripper posted:

Cuck roast.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I used to laugh at those bear claws and how dumb I deemed the investment, but after having been in the US for 26 months now, the Freedom has permeated through my body to the point where I want a pair.

Someone once got me a pair as a gag gift, jokes on them I use them every time I do a pork shoulder now.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

People weirded out over Costco memberships: you can get Costco gift cards and then go hog wild. $25 gift card will get you in and you can spend to your hearts content. You just pay with cash or debit card for any balance beyond the gift card.

I give Costco as many of my dollars as my budget allows. Those briskets are $2.99/lb for freaking Prime cuts. I've smoked them and they are v nice.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

Someone once got me a pair as a gag gift, jokes on them I use them every time I do a pork shoulder now.

If you have a kitchenaid you can just throw your shoulder in and hit it with the dough hook. No more burned hands trying to pull.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Chopping, not pulling, is the One True Way.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

my turn in the barrel posted:

If you have a kitchenaid you can just throw your shoulder in and hit it with the dough hook. No more burned hands trying to pull.

If you are pulling while it is hot enough to burn a hand (not allowing it to rest long enough) you are doing it wrong.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I give Costco as many of my dollars as my budget allows. Those briskets are $2.99/lb for freaking Prime cuts. I've smoked them and they are v nice.

Yes this, those Prime briskets are so much better than even a Select.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

If you are pulling while it is hot enough to burn a hand (not allowing it to rest long enough) you are doing it wrong.

This isn't true at all. You can rest a pork shoulder for two hours and the center will still be molten.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've always been able to do it with a wooden spoon.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have had stuff finish early enough that I thought I would need the foil/towels/cooler to keep it warm and it was still hot enough hours later to burn. And once it's time to eat I'm not going to take it out of the cooler and wait another hour for it to cool.

I'm still trying to get some early smoking in while we have semi warm weather.

Yesterday I threw some Swordfish on the grill

And threw a Brisket on my 18.5" WSM propped up on a stainless bowl

I wrapped it in butcher paper once it hit 160F.

Timing wasn't quite right for a weekday cook so when it finished I wrapped it in plastic and refrigerated it. Then swapped the plastic for foil and reheated it in a low oven. Turned out really good. Not the best I've ever done but as is usual way better that the crap BBQ that most restaurants serve.

Plenty of leftovers, this was after we both ate and I delivered a 3rd meal to my bartender.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 9, 2017

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
How well does smoked brisket freeze/reheat? I love brisket, but my wife's lukewarm on it and $45 worth of meat is a tough sell unless I can enjoy it for months.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

How well does smoked brisket freeze/reheat? I love brisket, but my wife's lukewarm on it and $45 worth of meat is a tough sell unless I can enjoy it for months.

Most bbq will keep fine in the freezer. Best way is to vacuum seal it or if you don't have a vaccum sealer you can hold the bag underwater or try to suck as much air out as you can. To reheat you want to heat it up inside the bag in a pot of water.

You can also reheat in a low oven/microwave/crock pot but it will probably dry it out.

Brisket is a pain to find in small portions. Most local stores have smaller portions priced at $6-7/LB and a whole one at $2.50-4/LB so you pay as much for a full size as a smaller one. You can also just buy a whole brisket and cut it into smaller portions and freeze those. Though for the effort probably better to cook the whole thing at once and then freeze.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I love Costco, but having a household of two means I fear food waste would be inevitable. I go to Sam's Club with my mom sometimes and am usually dissapointed in "deals" because I am not an especially name brand kinda guy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pulled pork freezes great. Especially if you sous vide it to thaw it.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

my turn in the barrel posted:

Most bbq will keep fine in the freezer. Best way is to vacuum seal it or if you don't have a vaccum sealer you can hold the bag underwater or try to suck as much air out as you can. To reheat you want to heat it up inside the bag in a pot of water.

Unless your vacuum sealer has a liquid setting I'd recommend the water displacement method. My vacuum sealer tends to squeeze out some moisture.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I'm once again providing 50-60lbs of pork shoulder for a fund raiser on Saturday. Picked it up last night, brine tonight, rub and hit the smoker on Friday.

Last year there was another person covering chicken, but they backed out this year. Math was done against amount of leftover food vs body count from last year and they're just rolling with my shoulders and then a hotdog option. Odd how "you're the only person smoking meat for the bbq" suddenly triggers my stage fright. Ah well, the smoke must go on.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This isn't true at all. You can rest a pork shoulder for two hours and the center will still be molten.

:shrug:
Have never had this happen.

djfooboo posted:

I love Costco, but having a household of two means I fear food waste would be inevitable. I go to Sam's Club with my mom sometimes and am usually dissapointed in "deals" because I am not an especially name brand kinda guy.

Vacuum sealers are your friend.

sellouts posted:

Pulled pork freezes great. Especially if you sous vide it to thaw it.

Best is if you can toss a sealed pack into boiling water to heat it up with no moisture loss.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 9, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

I made a brisket for a bunch of people that sat in a cooler for two hours then on a cutting board for another hour and it was still too hot to touch for very long. Then half an hour later I had to cut up the rest of it and it was still hot enough to scald my fingers after a few seconds of contact.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I normally am not doing catering-level smokes, but I did this same amount of shoulder for this same fund raiser last year. The other persons doing the chicken have a bbq business on the side in town and spotted me one of their massive catering coolers to use for delivery. I evacuated the pork at 1, shredded it into large tin-foil pans, foiled the tops, into the cooler. The 6 tins barely took up a third of the space. Those guys sat in that cooler for 4 hours before being served and I think we lost 3F? Serving temp was 196F when we opened the tins.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Best is if you can toss a sealed pack into boiling water to heat it up with no moisture loss.

You know what sous vide is, right?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sellouts posted:

You know what sous vide is, right?

I only speak 'merican. :colbert:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Fog Tripper posted:

I only speak 'merican. :colbert:

When I first read the term I called it "soos veeday" before my brother corrected me. I still call it that around him because it bothers him and he is my sibling so that's what you do.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

El Jebus posted:

When I first read the term I called it "soos veeday" before my brother corrected me. I still call it that around him because it bothers him and he is my sibling so that's what you do.

https://youtu.be/hawRbECNX8o

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Fog Tripper posted:

I too have wrapped, towelled and placed into a cooler many a pork shoulder and hours later it is still too hot to touch inside.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I swear, I've not smoked near enough in the past couple of years. You know you've been away for a while when you go in to make up a batch of rub and your brain tingles from the smell. Some effect of addiction/withdrawal I'm sure.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Thanks for the meat tips. I may grill some chicken thighs this weekend if my charcoal is still good (I think it got wet....)

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
Finally got a chance to use my Thermoworks Smoke, after upgrading from the Maverick.
Functionally, they are very similar. Two channels, high/low alarms for both. The Smoke comes with a pit temp probe and a meat probe in the package, but you can buy all sorts of other probes for <$20 from Thermoworks.
The Smoke does seem to be built a lot sturdier/better, especially the probes, which are apparently a problem area for many Maverick users, I never had any issues with mine. The vibrate with alarm feature on the remote is cool, but not really necessary, IMO.
I always had connection issues with my Maverick dropping in and out, the Smoke did a couple of times, but paired back up quickly.
Apparently, Thermoworks is coming out with a WiFi bridge and phone App soon, which is another $89.

Personally, I feel the Smoke is worth the extra $$ over the Maverick.

Edit: One thing to note, the probes did not fit through the grommet I have drilled in the side of my WSM that my Maverick ones did, so I'll have to find another solution.

Crazy Dutchman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 10, 2017

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I got a backyard recently and now that the weather in my area is starting to warm up I'm hoping to start having friends over for alcohol and smoked meat on the weekends. Poking around the web, I saw the Pit Barrel Cooker is pretty well recommended as a good entry point. Any goon advice/reviews?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Veritek83 posted:

I got a backyard recently and now that the weather in my area is starting to warm up I'm hoping to start having friends over for alcohol and smoked meat on the weekends. Poking around the web, I saw the Pit Barrel Cooker is pretty well recommended as a good entry point. Any goon advice/reviews?

You might also look at the Weber Smokey Mountain as it's pretty much the same thing as a pit barrel cooker. The 18.5 WSM is the same size and price as 30 gallon PBC.

The WSM has better air control and will be cook longer with less coal and the weber finish will probably outlast anything comparable on the market. Do some googling as the opinions between the 2 seem to split right down the middle and I'm not sure if anyone on here has a PBC. Also don't forget to check craigslist as you might find a deal on a used PBC or WSM. Usually the racks will be trashed but you can always replace those if the smoker is cheap and in good shape otherwise.

FWIW I got my WSM 18.5" last year on clearance for $200 and have made some really great BBQ with it as I've been posting.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
What happens is you spend a few hundred on a WSM, and then double that on gadgets and do-hickeys to go along with it. :v:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Found out my friend has been keeping his Costco membership a secret :ohboy:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The only accessories I've bought for my WSM are as follows

1. two 50 cent hose clamps to secure the charcoal ring to the bottom grate

2. a giant roll of wide HD Foil from sams club to wrap the water pan in so I don't have to clean it

3. A giant roll of butcher paper to wrap BBQ in while smoking

4. A cheap 2 zone wireless thermometer so I can track meat and smoker temps, I used to use two separate ones and just jam one through a potato to get an ambient sensor. I bought this one http://a.co/3gaIoN6

5. Charcoal/wood/meat

All of the computerized pit fans are nice accessories but you really don't need them once you get the hang of setting a WSM. I found once I started to just get it close to where I want I wait 15-30 minutes after adjusting the vents before adjusting again. Otherwise you are just chasing highs and lows by overcompensating each way. Once it's in the zone and relatively stable just leave it alone as it will always go up and down as the charcoal ashes over and then the ash falls repeatedly. If I ever get to a point where I'm contemplating buying an electric smoker because I don't have time to mess with monitoring the temp at all I will probably just spring for a controller then.

Same goes for the extra doors and hinges, nice to have but you really don't need them. The seasoning will take a few smokes to build up but once it does it will keep things very stable.

The whole issue with buying a Costco membership that started the discussion is I already have a Sam's card and a Restaurant Depot Membership. I'm pretty sure I would only really be buying Brisket at Costco and I am way closer to a Sams and I really like their steaks, since I'm a business member I can walk in at 7am on mondays and tuesdays and score really cheap meat.

Costco is probably worth it but I keep waiting for a living social or groupon deal to sweeten the pot more than the $10 certificate they offer through their new mover page.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I get it but seriously the door preventing smoke leak was a game changer for me. Gaskets were cool too.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My stock door was a bit leaky when new but now one heavy season of cooking later it doesn't leak at all.

Not that a heavy door isn't a nice upgrade but with enough cooks the stock one will seal so long as it's not bent to hell.

I'd rather buy more meat and get the experience cooking it. But if you have the cash there is tons of neat stuff you can add on.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Dunno: All 6 shoulders clocked in at mid 180's this morning when I got up, around 6 hours left on the cooking. At the end of said 6 hours, I headed out to shred and package for the event and they all still clocked in in the mid-high 180's. This has like... never happened to me. I'm usually just a hair over 200.

Duncare: All bones pulled clean, all meat shredded if you so much as looked at it. I think I was done with all 6 in about 10 minutes.

Temp was weird, but it's tender as hell, juicy as hell, tastes perfect and is headed for the fundraiser. Whee!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I'm planning on smoking a chicken tomorrow. I was going to do spatchcock and smoke until 145 degrees and then throw it on the grill to crisp the skin. Now I'm thinking I might want to try two different rubs. Any reason I shouldn't just split it into two halves, apply a different rub to either half, and proceed with the plan above?

edit: Went to buy spareribs today and the Costco business center (like Costco mixed with a restaurant supply store) had USDA Prime brisket for $2.79 a pound. drat hard to turn that down. I hope they keep that going until I have enough skill and time to do my first brisket.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm planning on smoking a chicken tomorrow. I was going to do spatchcock and smoke until 145 degrees and then throw it on the grill to crisp the skin. Now I'm thinking I might want to try two different rubs. Any reason I shouldn't just split it into two halves, apply a different rub to either half, and proceed with the plan above?

edit: Went to buy spareribs today and the Costco business center (like Costco mixed with a restaurant supply store) had USDA Prime brisket for $2.79 a pound. drat hard to turn that down. I hope they keep that going until I have enough skill and time to do my first brisket.

Go for it. What rubs are you using?

I got a prime brisket and 7lbs lamb ribs for 40 bucks a couple of weeks ago and I got pork shoulder recently for $1.49 a pound. Texas is meat heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Go for it. What rubs are you using?

I got a prime brisket and 7lbs lamb ribs for 40 bucks a couple of weeks ago and I got pork shoulder recently for $1.49 a pound. Texas is meat heaven.

Memphis Dust on one half. The other half is up in the air. I have a Trader Joe's coffee and garlic rub that was recommended to me. I also found another rub recipe which I seem to have the ingredients for.

Pork butt is fairly easily found here, even in grocery stores, for $1.50 or so. I saw full pork shoulder picnic going for $0.99 a pound as well. Beef prices seem pretty crappy though.

Any suggestions on how to freeze racks of ribs? I bought 8lbs of St. Louis cut (they were out of normal spares) and I'll probably freeze some of it. Racks are too big for my ziplocks and I have no foodsaver so I figured I'd just cut in half and ziplock it.