Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

I Said No posted:

nah definitely wasn't kewpuh
i don't remember the mod's name, it MAY have been NotJust4Breakfast but i'm not really confident that was it

Wasn't it eggplant wizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

My memory might be faulty, but I seem to remember a GBS thread popping up mocking Elliot Rodger after a goon discovered him literally a day or two before he went on a rampage. Watching it going from "haha look at this guy" to "holy poo poo he actually did it" was pretty weird.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ludicro posted:

My memory might be faulty, but I seem to remember a GBS thread popping up mocking Elliot Rodger after a goon discovered him literally a day or two before he went on a rampage. Watching it going from "haha look at this guy" to "holy poo poo he actually did it" was pretty weird.

The Solid Elliot video was pretty cool but I don't know if a goon made it :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

Wasn't it eggplant wizard?

eggplant wizard banned people for capitalization, spelling, memes/macros, excessive sarcasm, and all kinds of other poo poo. not a great mod.

it sounds like her life really got hosed up by those angry losers who doxxed her though so i just feel sorry for her now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Capitalization/Punctuation was a forums-wide rule a few years ago, it's not like it was one or two rogue mods who deemed it their vision of the forum

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I misspelled a word! I deserve a ban! :cry:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

VendaGoat posted:

I deserve a ban! :cry:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Been there, done that. You should try it once.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
For a long time the strict grammar enforcement was one of the forums hallmarks. Along with the paywall it was what made the forums seem lofty and respectable, because while anyone with access to a credit card could get in, you were put on kind of a trial by fire to determine whether you could stay. It was kind of dumb in retrospect, but when the alternatives were 4chan and ... what, NeoGAF? It kept things a little bit above the rest.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

For a long time the strict grammar enforcement was one of the forums hallmarks. Along with the paywall it was what made the forums seem lofty and respectable, because while anyone with access to a credit card could get in, you were put on kind of a trial by fire to determine whether you could stay. It was kind of dumb in retrospect, but when the alternatives were 4chan and ... what, NeoGAF? It kept things a little bit above the rest.

Even with those strict standards relaxed, SA is still the best forum to read. It's not so much SA having high standards as the rest of the internet having gotten much, much worse.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Alaois posted:

Capitalization/Punctuation was a forums-wide rule a few years ago, it's not like it was one or two rogue mods who deemed it their vision of the forum

some people would let it slide if the poster was still comprehensible, though, whereas some really got their root on from Ensuring Shift Keys Were Pressed

nj4b and kewpuh were nuts for it, to the extent that kewpuh used to have animated avatars of some koopa wizard jumping on shift keys

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, the degree of our decline is minuscule compared to literally the rest of the social internet.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SomethingAwful is and has been the best forum for noise to content ratio. Where else can I poo poo up a thread about terrible occurrences and minutes later honestly discuss financial planning and stock tips?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I think SA is unique for being a discussion board for the sake of discussion. Not a car owner board, or an industry board. It's a giant room of people talking about whatever.

"What's it about?"
"It's a forum."
"A forum for?"
"Posting."

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It remains unique because now everything is either unmoderated hellholes where whoever who just posts the most "wins" or personal blogs that become insane echo chambers. Here you have to vouch for yourself, most of the time.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If sa dies I'll just stop chatting online anywhere

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Secret Service showing up to Lowatx's door and then closing LF was something else

Does the SS troll the internet for presidential death threats or did the LF crew do something blatantly stupid?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Secret Service showing up to Lowatx's door and then closing LF was something else

Wait, what? :staredog:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does the SS troll the internet for presidential death threats or did the LF crew do something blatantly stupid?

If I remember right someone threatened to kill the president and did the whole ironic-but-not-really shtick and probably some reader tipped them off. Then Lowtax threw down the glove, closed LF just as Twitter was coming into its own as a platform for terrible opinions and the acronym "SJW" started popping up all over the place. I remember seeing it here first.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did he really have to explain goatse to the secret service or is that just a joke from the whole thing?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elsa posted:

I think SA is unique for being a discussion board for the sake of discussion. Not a car owner board, or an industry board. It's a giant room of people talking about whatever.

"What's it about?"
"It's a forum."
"A forum for?"
"Posting."

Sometimes I tell people about something like a deck list I saw in the Magic The Gathering thread here, and they get the idea that SA is a big card game forum or something. It's hard to explain to people what SA is. My girlfriend was looking over my shoulder once and started asking what the various subforums were and there was only so many times I could explain, "Oh that one's for ironic shitposting" before she got it. How do you even define SA compared to the rest of the internet?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heath posted:

If I remember right someone threatened to kill the president and did the whole ironic-but-not-really shtick and probably some reader tipped them off. Then Lowtax threw down the glove, closed LF just as Twitter was coming into its own as a platform for terrible opinions and the acronym "SJW" started popping up all over the place. I remember seeing it here first.

Someone made a thread in LF titled "Goon Project: Lets Assassinate President Barak Hussein Obama!" like the joke was goon projects never go anywhere, I guess? but yeah they didn't get the 'joke' and the secret service got involved

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

whiteyfats posted:

Wait, what? :staredog:

people in LF were posting things that appeared to be physical threats toward the president of the united states. the feds showed up and lowtax was all hell naw

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

BJPaskoff posted:

Sometimes I tell people about something like a deck list I saw in the Magic The Gathering thread here, and they get the idea that SA is a big card game forum or something. It's hard to explain to people what SA is. My girlfriend was looking over my shoulder once and started asking what the various subforums were and there was only so many times I could explain, "Oh that one's for ironic shitposting" before she got it. How do you even define SA compared to the rest of the internet?

I've had to explain to my co-workers that I was getting all this information on politics and the primary from "election erection"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did he really have to explain goatse to the secret service or is that just a joke from the whole thing?

I'm pretty sure that was Twisty. Former FYAD poster Twisty posted a GBS thread parodying the Obama craze in 2008 GBS by advocating for the assassination of McCain and got a visit from the SS. If I remember correctly, they had a printout of the thread but he had edited his post out when he realized he could actually get in trouble for it so the SS had to print off someone who quoted him and responded with Goatse. This was about a decade ago obviously so I may have some details wrong but I think that's the gist of it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BJPaskoff posted:

How do you even define SA compared to the rest of the internet?

I used to say that the forums on SA were like New York, in that it was massive, had anything you'd want (from a forum), some people were terrible, others were awesome, and that you'd never get bored.

That was before Reddit. And I mean that for other people. 90% of Reddit is terrible, and the other 10% are all Digg-like links to stuff you actually care about, outside of the site.

I still think of SA the same, but I now describe it as "nevermind, you wouldn't understand."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just say SomethingAwful is the inside joke of the internet.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I used to say that the forums on SA were like New York, in that it was massive, had anything you'd want (from a forum), some people were terrible, others were awesome, and that you'd never get bored.

That was before Reddit. And I mean that for other people. 90% of Reddit is terrible, and the other 10% are all Digg-like links to stuff you actually care about, outside of the site.

I still think of SA the same, but I now describe it as "nevermind, you wouldn't understand."

So if SA is NYC, that makes Reddit ... New Delhi?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I'm pretty sure that was Twisty. Former FYAD poster Twisty posted a GBS thread parodying the Obama craze in 2008 GBS by advocating for the assassination of McCain and got a visit from the SS. If I remember correctly, they had a printout of the thread but he had edited his post out when he realized he could actually get in trouble for it so the SS had to print off someone who quoted him and responded with Goatse. This was about a decade ago obviously so I may have some details wrong but I think that's the gist of it.

It was the FBI:

http://archive.is/20150716235636/forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474776&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

VendaGoat posted:

Been there, done that. You should try it once.

VendaGoat posted:

I deserve a ban! :cry:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm trying to phish out if the SS will show up on my door if I post "negative" things about President Cheeto

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

More like oldbanless!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So I was off on a few details re: goatse-ing the FBI:

Saint Twisty posted:

other highlights include

-because i edited the op to goatse, the fbi printed out a post of someone who quoted the original post. the post that the guy made was "You're gay."

- fbi asking what a goon was

- me describing goatse to the fbi men

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

BJPaskoff posted:

I'd say it would be self-limiting to declare SA as being about a particular thing. But if I had to place it I'd say maybe human stupidity and that's bottomless so

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Elsa posted:

I'd say it would be self-limiting to declare SA as being about a particular thing. But if I had to place it I'd say maybe human stupidity and that's bottomless so

It's a room full of passages, all different. If you let the light go out, you might be eaten by a groon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

How do you even define SA compared to the rest of the internet?

It's a BBS only with pictures and worse UI.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Sagebrush posted:

eggplant wizard banned people for capitalization, spelling, memes/macros, excessive sarcasm, and all kinds of other poo poo. not a great mod.

it sounds like her life really got hosed up by those angry losers who doxxed her though so i just feel sorry for her now.

Wasn't the meme/macro banning on people who were constantly posting them outside the appropriate threads when that was explicitly a no-no in PYF and elsewhere? Also there were literally "PYF guy/gal you want to bone" threads with nude pics (no homegrown) during their time so it always boggled my mind people were that salty about EW. Maybe those just carried over from a previous mod and I'm misremembering?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There was a guy who really liked trains and seemed okay, but was way too neurotic as a mod and everyone hated him

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There was a guy who really liked trains and seemed okay, but was way too neurotic as a mod and everyone hated him

MEATY MARTHA

nevar 4get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what? no meaty martha wasn't a mod, i think lowtax garbage day renamed some guy with a tiny bug username to that

brother jonathan was the mod, and was made a mod due to the quality of his reports. after he was demodded he kept showing up to snark and say "the forums are going to poo poo!! i told you this would happen!!"