Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
lots of places don't have widespread garbage disposals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

what do they do for garbage disposals in latvia
serious question, what do you mean by garbage disposal

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

serious question, what do you mean by garbage disposal
it sits under the drain in your kitchen sink so you can dump food waste into your sink, and it is usually activated by a switch which blends up the food waste into smaller bits so they won't clog up your pipes

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

it sits under the drain in your kitchen sink so you can dump food waste into your sink, and it is usually activated by a switch which blends up the food waste into smaller bits so they won't clog up your pipes
oh, the extremely bourgeoisie rich people kitchen sink, as it is called here. no, i have not seen that even in financial 1% homes ive been in, what is there to say about the general population.

you carefully throw out your food waste into the waste bucket. if there's alot of it, it's dumped into toilet. if a little bit, just scoops out of sink afterwards.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

garbage disposals are bad

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mishaq posted:

garbage disposals are bad
they are extremely american

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

we just have small metallic inserts in sinks, bowl shaped, that catch the big pieces and that you can conveniently take out and dump into the bn

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

we just have small metallic inserts in sinks, bowl shaped, that catch the big pieces and that you can conveniently take out and dump into the bn

that's too hard for us, instead we throw everything down the drain and then pay a plumber $500 every few years to clear out our clogged pipes/fix the damage caused by the clog

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the house i grew up in had two sewage backups that flooded the basement in the span of 18 months because the sewage line serving my street was clogged with a bunch of grease

americans dump everything down the drain

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

mishaq posted:

the house i grew up in had two sewage backups that flooded the basement in the span of 18 months because the sewage line serving my street was clogged with a bunch of grease

americans dump everything down the drain

I had to explain to my grandmother that you weren't supposed to use it for everything, just incidental stuff that escaped from any utensils or dishware sitting in the sink for the short time it should be there.

This is a woman that I watched peel potatoes straight into the thing, with the disposal running the entire time. No water, either.

They replaced the thing like every year until I told them to stop.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Turqqj9gakI

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

here's something that popped up as related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fsAAZ60tn0

why wouldn't you just throw this poo poo into the trash can (or ideally, composting but lol america)

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I like the idea of composting but it only really works if everyone in a household is willing to do it the right way.

ideally, neighborhoods and communities would have their own shared compost area where they could reclaim it later for planting/potting opportunities, but that would require effort and coordination: the two deadliest poisons known to the American.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember growing up we had a compost pile, but i'm not sure if we ever actually used it for anything or if it was just a partly-enclosed area in the corner of the backyard we tossed our food scraps into

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember growing up we had a compost pile, but i'm not sure if we ever actually used it for anything or if it was just a partly-enclosed area in the corner of the backyard we tossed our food scraps into

we had a compost pile specifically for use with our big ol vegetable and fruit garden.

one year we'd thrown some decorative corncobs from halloween decorations in the compost pile and the next spring we had straight up cornstalks growing out of the compost pile which was pretty cool. decent sweetcorn too.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

that makes no sense. how could you possibly wire up a light switch so that it safely switches like 300 watts of a lighting fixture but does not safely switch a 100 watt tv or something.

but maybe doesn't safely switch a 2400w benchtop oven?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we have a compost. its ok. avoid meat in it. means I dont feel so bad about throwing out a bit of food coz itll turn into corn next year

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

echinopsis posted:

that wouldn't be plugging into a US normal household socket in the first place, it'd pull somewhere around 20-22 amps to function on US power while the normal household outlet circuit is only meant for 15 amps.

seconds after you switched it on the breaker would flip

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

echinopsis posted:

you couldn't plug it into a regular outlet anyways, you need 20 amp wiring

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maybe latvia doesnt have 120 volt power and running > 2000 W on a single outlet is possible there safely, but not with a light switch in the path

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
only the us has baby power

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mishaq posted:

maybe latvia doesnt have 120 volt power and running > 2000 W on a single outlet is possible there safely, but not with a light switch in the path

latvian light switches shouldn't be so fragile that they can't handle the circuit they're on, then.

shouldn't be legal to sell switches that would be a fire hazard when switching a few hundred watts on or off.

a single us light switch might need to handle nearly 2000 watts of high power old fashioned lights coming on or off at once without any outlets being involved after all.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 11, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mishaq posted:

our light switches can be as made as cheap as for 1-2A @ 220-250V, which is ok for <25W/bulb lighting, and the bulk of it is various russian/belarus/turkish crap rated for <6A, which automatically makes them ineligible for even basic domestic equipment, such as electric countertop/oven, washing machines, electric kettles, and so on. and that is to ignore non-standard scenarios, such as an overload or a short

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

latvian light switches shouldn't be so fragile that they can't handle the circuit they're on, then.

shouldn't be legal to sell switches that would be a fire hazard when switching a few hundred watts on or off.

a single us light switch might need to handle nearly 2000 watts of high power old fashioned lights coming on or off at once without any outlets being involved after all.
no, we just use appropriate automatic switches to regulate outlets and equipment, and dont overspend several times on lightning switches so that they theoretically can manage a 2500W electric kettle equivalent to a 100 lightbulb array

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

our light switches can be as made as cheap as for 1-2A @ 220-250V, which is ok for <25W/bulb lighting, and the bulk of it is various russian/belarus/turkish crap rated for <6A, which automatically makes them ineligible for even basic domestic equipment, such as electric countertop/oven, washing machines, electric kettles, and so on. and that is to ignore non-standard scenarios, such as an overload or a short

that seems like it's highly dangerous, and would be at vast risk of failure even with normal incandescent bulbs.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, we just use appropriate automatic switches to regulate outlets and equipment, and dont overspend several times on lightning switches so that they theoretically can manage a 2500W electric kettle equivalent to a 100 lightbulb array

???

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Single-Pole-Toggle-Switch-White-R52-01451-02W/100026991

here's a light switch that can handle full 15 amp loads. it is $0.88 at any home improvement store in the country. you can get faceplate to place over it for $0.47

fishmech fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 11, 2017

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh, lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

that seems like it's highly dangerous, and would be at vast risk of failure even with normal incandescent bulbs.
yes, much like plenty of other things here in latvia, since no one can afford poo poo for the pennies that are paid here. switches here at home probably are rated for some 6-10A, but otoh we had boiler melt an outlet so who knows. rest assured, there just are automatic switches - a general one, and a separate kitchen one

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
latvians should probably spend extra 5 eurocent to get full rated swtches, imo

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
normal us lightswitches are rated for 15a resistive loads and 1/2hp inductive load but

echinopsis posted:

only the us has baby power

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

latvians should probably spend extra 5 eurocent to get full rated swtches, imo
its something like <2 vs 5+ euro. fair difference for me, but unfair for vast majority

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

its something like <2 vs 5+ euro. fair difference for me, but unfair for vast majority

probably wouldn't still cost so much, if the higher rated switches were effectively the only ones allowed to be sold legally.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DJ Commie posted:

normal us lightswitches are rated for 15a resistive loads and 1/2hp inductive load but
that would be considered like a 3rd/4th category switch here

cat1 - soviet/turk crap
cat2 - brands, modern rudimentals in the construction
cat3 - actually used in western countries
cat4 - also looks good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

probably wouldn't still cost so much, if the higher rated switches were effectively the only ones allowed to be sold legally.
maybe, but that's not going to happen any time soon

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
to be clear though it is exceedingly rare for major appliances in the us to be on a wall switch. you usually only get that in cases where someone squeezed them in after the fact and is using a low-power model, since the full power versions tend to require hard wiring in the wall with no switch, or specialty plugs meant to keep people from plugging them into circuits not rated for the load.

a light switch controlled outlet will tend to only be present when the there's no installed overhead/wall fixtures that are hardwired in the building, you are expected to only plug your own lighting into the controlled outlet and use other outlets for things that aren't lights. switches have to be able to handle the full load anyway tho.

some places/builders are dumb though, and will have every outlet in a room wired up to a switch despite it not being helpful

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that would be considered like a 3rd/4th category switch here

cat1 - soviet/turk crap
cat2 - brands, modern rudimentals in the construction
cat3 - actually used in western countries
cat4 - also looks good

the 15a rating is at 120v, so they are likely closer to normal stuff. a 15a 230v switch would be overkill for most anything in a house short of serious garage tools unless you have large lighting arrays

230v is great because you can get almost twice the wattage out of a 13a uk outlet over a 15a us outlet making space heaters actually useful sizes

fishmech posted:

to be clear though it is exceedingly rare for major appliances in the us to be on a wall switch. you usually only get that in cases where someone squeezed them in after the fact and is using a low-power model, since the full power versions tend to require hard wiring in the wall with no switch, or specialty plugs meant to keep people from plugging them into circuits not rated for the load.

a light switch controlled outlet will tend to only be present when the there's no installed overhead/wall fixtures that are hardwired in the building, you are expected to only plug your own lighting into the controlled outlet and use other outlets for things that aren't lights. switches have to be able to handle the full load anyway tho.

some places/builders are dumb though, and will have every outlet in a room wired up to a switch despite it not being helpful

all correct. it gets weird, my parents new house has rooms with a duplex switchplate with a single large rocker switch for the overhead fixture and two smaller ones which control outlets. i guess $20 target floor lamps were part of the electrical design spec?

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 11, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

industrial stuff can be 120/277v like that one fishmech posted

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-3032-2W-Toggle-Double-Pole-Grounding/dp/B002MPPTBQ/

8 kw

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

other american thing: have a ceiling fan in every room of the house

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajmgKKsXWtM

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hifi posted:

industrial stuff can be 120/277v like that one fishmech posted

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-3032-2W-Toggle-Double-Pole-Grounding/dp/B002MPPTBQ/

8 kw

:jackbud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

american homes are cheaply constructed shitboxes