Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

mng posted:

Are there any good Lovecraftian productions out there?

e: Like, not Cloverfield stuff.

Yes, H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society's Call of Cthulhu and A Whisperer in Darkness adaptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

mng posted:

Re-Animator, I guess?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Fun fact; Del Toro gave up on Mountains of Madness when he saw Prometheus and decided his movie would be too similar.

We could've had Guillermo Del Toro's At The Mountains of Madness, but instead we have Prometheus.

https://youtu.be/8_HPFoelMQc?t=61

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dagon isn't too bad.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mng posted:

Dan O'Bannon's The Resurrected

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a gif of the titular line guy doing the "so tired of all these star wars" yet? Preferably one with subtitles of said line.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Is there a gif of the titular line guy doing the "so tired of all these star wars" yet? Preferably one with subtitles of said line.

http://i.imgur.com/1mqSGID.mp4

5 seconds of googling.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
the vvitch was insanely good

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Baronjutter posted:

There's certainly been some direct lovecraft movies but... oh good? no not really.
The Thing is based off a short story that is basically a rip off Lovecraft story, then there is In the Mouth of Madness which has one of the best endings in all of cinema
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AUr3BtuRUI

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

I want a Plinkett review of the Max Landis interview. Ugggghhhhhhh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey look what got delayed

http://www.avclub.com/article/wait-those-avatar-sequels-just-got-even-longer-251872

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol nobody is gonna care when these come out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol nobody is gonna care when these come out.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that nobody cares already.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

It has its flaws but I loving love In the Mouth of Madness.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

King Vidiot posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that nobody cares already.

I wonder if Cameron is looking at the current trend of cinematic universes in film and he desperately wants in on it but can't because he's incapable of working with others? Like if he wants in so bad he should team up with Ridley Scott and give us a half decent Alien movie.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

It is a great watch. Atmosphere of unease, cool effects, and lots of parts where you laugh at it when you maybe shouldn't! That's all I want in a film.

...Do you read Sutter Cane?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

achillesforever6 posted:

The Thing is based off a short story that is basically a rip off Lovecraft story, then there is In the Mouth of Madness which has one of the best endings in all of cinema
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AUr3BtuRUI

Is the ending he's basically insane? I skipped around but without the context of the movie I don't get it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Twas butene that killed the beast.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

hostess with the Moltres posted:

the vvitch was insanely good

It really was tho

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
I saw Get Out last night. Excellent movie. Definitely worth the praise it's getting. You really think they're going to go with the "beat-you-over-the-head" social commentary ending with the main protagonist getting arrested but I'm glad they didn't. The movie's social commentary was much more subtle and scathing at the same time, with the real villains are middle-class white liberals. The Guardian has a good review of it here. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/28/get-out-box-office-jordan-peele

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why the gently caress would I read the guardian for a movie review?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

a bone to pick posted:

Not emptyquoting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The Archaic posted:

I saw Get Out last night. Excellent movie. Definitely worth the praise it's getting. You really think they're going to go with the "beat-you-over-the-head" social commentary ending with the main protagonist getting arrested but I'm glad they didn't. The movie's social commentary was much more subtle and scathing at the same time, with the real villains are middle-class white liberals. The Guardian has a good review of it here. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/28/get-out-box-office-jordan-peele

Jeez spoilers dude (jk I don't care about spoilers)

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Dagon was pretty fun. Fish monsters and a hot tentacle lady.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

Does kermode do Guardian reviews some times?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

a bone to pick posted:

Need to know what will trigger you?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

If nothing else reanimator gave us this: https://youtu.be/htLpEDAXbqI

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jeffrey Combs is in a lot of lovecraft related movies and is good and cool.
Also man that loving music video. I remember when we first saw the movie and it was amazingly bad/great and then that video hits after the credits we could not handle it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Didn't turn up for me, strange. Thanks!

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Nutsngum posted:

:respek:

It's criminally underappreciated -- like most John Carpenter's movies.

Captain Rufus posted:

If nothing else reanimator gave us this: https://youtu.be/htLpEDAXbqI

It also gave us the best cat scene in movie history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwSoQDkNscY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kong Skull Island is a load of poo. It does nothing clever or interesting whatsoever with its Vietnam references and the dialogue is AWFUL

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kong Skull Island is a load of poo. It does nothing clever or interesting whatsoever with its Vietnam references and the dialogue is AWFUL

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Which drops first, the Avatar sequel or the next Song of Ice and Fire book?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

General Dog posted:

They'll all come bundled with Half Life 3

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Oh Avatar for sure. James Cameron actually cares about if they get made or not.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

a bone to pick posted:

Its just setting you up for how much of a dumpster fire Kong is going to be.

I would love if RLM did a short video on the Kong trailer because its really loving... odd. It does that weird thing where there's a mini-trailer before the trailer, then it starts out like a normal trailer, then about half-way through it completely switches to a different action-packed trailer, then its just scene after scene of bullets and fighting and I have no idea wtf is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo

1:16 is where the trailer should have ended but its just goes on and on with the action scenes.

Does anyone else think there's eventually going to be a creative backlash against every single studio-produced movie having the same sort of improvvy Judd Apatow dialogue? The most weird thing in this trailer isn't the ball-numbing action, it's Reilly and Co. stumbling through the semi-conversational repartee that now stands in for actual crafted jokes. It's supposed to be charming, but these scenes all come off so samey that you can see them coming from a mile away. "Oh look, here comes a serious conversation/situation that's going to get all the air let out of it by ironic, stumbly dialogue"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I agree entirely. Reilly ruins the movie. He's a fantastic actor but he's given total free reign and literally plays Steve Brule (his jacket even says "for your health" for Christ sakes!)

I HATE improv unless it's done really well. Chris Hemsworth in Ghostbusters was SHOCKING. It was like there was no director on set.

Kong's dialogue is its weakest point by a mile. Tom Hiddleston totally phoned his lines in by the end.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope the new film shows people how good the Jackson one was. FWIW I have seen that trailer as two separate trailers before this so I think that one literally is just them reuploaded as one.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

I agree entirely. Reilly ruins the movie. He's a fantastic actor but he's given total free reign and literally plays Steve Brule (his jacket even says "for your health" for Christ sakes!)

I HATE improv unless it's done really well. Chris Hemsworth in Ghostbusters was SHOCKING. It was like there was no director on set.

Kong's dialogue is its weakest point by a mile. Tom Hiddleston totally phoned his lines in by the end.

Yeah, it's the worst kind of lazy crap to get popular, and Feig is the worst current offender. It was kind of charming to see it pop up in spots in The Force Awakens because the Star Wars movies are traditionally kind of wooden in their writing, but even then I went "oh, I guess every single movie until the end of time has to have this now, huh"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A lot of really bad American comedies in the last ten years or so have been going that way. Just point the camera at your cast and get them to say funny stuff. It's crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PostNouveau posted:

Oh Avatar for sure. James Cameron actually cares about if they get made or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alita:_Battle_Angel#Production

• Locked thread