Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Black Is Black posted:

Is there any chance the big bad this season isn't Shadow King?

In comic book shows, that's always a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i just realized the eye was in fargo season 2. i knew he looked familiar

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Black Is Black posted:

Is there any chance the big bad this season isn't Shadow King?

I think they made it pretty clear this episode that it's the Shadow King. I'm just hoping for a twist of some sort. After this week we know that Lenny/Benny/King/Angry Boy is the same person and the one hiding in David's brain, and the big fat dude was the one pyrokinetically blasting everyone to hades and back. Is it possible him and L/B/AB/K are separate bad people? And as I posted earlier, I wonder if Oliver is somehow related as well - being "trapped" in the Astral Plane and all.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Outside guess for actual bad guy is Melanie and/or Melanie's husband. I feel like he knows how to control this whole thing David has running around in his nightmares but wants David to play along with his strange created reality to get the magic combo breaker for King.

Melanie seems innocent and caring on the surface,but the influence she has on everyone without any real questions being asked of her by the others feels very controlling, to an unnatural degree. That hanging thread bothers me. We have no reason to trust her at all, and several reasons to doubt her intentions. Ptolemy even emphatically states why he thinks going after David is a bad idea and goes along anyway without anything else resembling resistance.

Also, I really do not trust Syd at all. Her disturbing tale of losing her virginity is the one of the few real things we know about her past. That's...not normal and makes her feel very detached of reality.

Also also that demon dog in the cage has never been explained or revisited and that seems like something to do with the Eye. God knows what.

edit: I bet all of this sounds dumb to people that have read the comics. I freely admit I'm terrible at tv analysis.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ArmZ posted:

i just realized the eye was in fargo season 2. i knew he looked familiar

As was Melanie and Syd. :)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's clearly Shadow King, even if they never quite call it that or it's not the same as the books. It's definitely based on Shadow King whether it came to David from the outside or from within. Also unclear who has what powers as far as David is concerned. In the books, David can use powers of his other personalities and they can theoretically take over his body. We see some of both of these things happening with King. King has TK powers? Or does he have teleport powers, and when he destroys things he does so by teleporting bits of them away? David has telepathy? Or another facet of David's mind has that power?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Medullah posted:

As was Melanie and Syd. :)

those were a bit more obvious but yes

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

fizzymercy posted:

Also, I really do not trust Syd at all. Her disturbing tale of losing her virginity is the one of the few real things we know about her past. That's...not normal and makes her feel very detached of reality.

I'm willing to bet she's not very happy with that incident.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fizzymercy posted:

She did say "who teaches us to be normal when we're one of a kind?".

She knows it wasn't normal. But she's not normal. Her life, including sexuality, was never going to be normal.

Horny teenagers swapping bodies to get sex is totally understandable if ethically horrifying.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Is the Angry Boy actually a manifestation of ol' Yellow Eyes, or a construct of David's to combat the demon?

I can't recall the Angry Boy actually doing anything besides being very menacing and the intimation that it killed a dog in that Halloween scene -- a dog that didn't actually exist and was an earlier manifestation of the demon. And in that last episode, the Angry Boy explicitly leads Syd to where David is. Right now I'm leaning towards Angry Boy's persona allowing David to fight the demon when push finally comes to shove.

I've spent far too long thinking about this show.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

She did say "who teaches us to be normal when we're one of a kind?".

She knows it wasn't normal. But she's not normal. Her life, including sexuality, was never going to be normal.

Horny teenagers swapping bodies to get sex is totally understandable if ethically horrifying.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I'm willing to bet she's not very happy with that incident.

Nah, I get that she's unhappy with it. My issue is the fact that it's one of the only anecdotes from her past that she's openly shared with David (in front of the camera at least). Her matter-of-fact delivery of it was disturbing and while in character, felt too cold for the situation.

Also no, horny teenagers swapping bodies to get sex with their mother's boyfriend is not understandable what the actual gently caress? Sure she knows it's not normal but she sure is blase about it.

edit: thinking about it, she's casually dropped who she's swapped bodies with before so maybe she's just less emotional than I'd expect a character with her past to be. Still seems crude and bizarre to me.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 10, 2017

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Merrill Grinch posted:

Is the Angry Boy actually a manifestation of ol' Yellow Eyes, or a construct of David's to combat the demon?

I can't recall the Angry Boy actually doing anything besides being very menacing and the intimation that it killed a dog in that Halloween scene -- a dog that didn't actually exist and was an earlier manifestation of the demon. And in that last episode, the Angry Boy explicitly leads Syd to where David is. Right now I'm leaning towards Angry Boy's persona allowing David to fight the demon when push finally comes to shove.

When TYED as Lenny is talking about his past incarnations he says something like "and my favourite:" and then turns into Angry Boy.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Codependent Poster posted:

Remember that David heard voices telling him to not try and hang himself, and we've seen scenes where he's surrounded by people yelling at him.

I think they're in there, but the Shadow King has suppressed or scared them, or maybe even absorbed them which would be why he appears so fat.

Reminds me of Alia in Dune, where the barron calms the "other" voices in her head down and takes her over.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Merrill Grinch posted:

When TYED is revealing himself to Amy he manifests as the Angry Boy too, but as you say there are also times where it looks like the Angry Boy actively works against TYED. Possibly it's some kind of defence mechanism, that's been partially co-opted/corrupted because TYED has burrowed so deeply into David.

Anyway I liked this episode a lot. I thought the aftermath scenes did a great job of selling the idea of implied action. And just in general I thought the episode was really unsettling.

I also like the irony of that ending scene. Here are all these people who've told David that he isn't crazy, and now TYED is going to make them question their own sanity.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

fizzymercy posted:

Nah, I get that she's unhappy with it. My issue is the fact that it's one of the only anecdotes from her past that she's openly shared with David (in front of the camera at least). Her matter-of-fact delivery of it was disturbing and while in character, felt too cold for the situation.
Sometimes people react to trauma by emotionally detaching from its source. My take was that she was disturbed by the incident to the point that she can't emotionally relate to it, but understands at a rational level that it was wrong.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Elite posted:

When TYED is revealing himself to Amy he manifests as the Angry Boy too, but as you say there are also times where it looks like the Angry Boy actively works against TYED. Possibly it's some kind of defence mechanism, that's been partially co-opted/corrupted because TYED has burrowed so deeply into David.

Anyway I liked this episode a lot. I thought the aftermath scenes did a great job of selling the idea of implied action. And just in general I thought the episode was really unsettling.

I also like the irony of that ending scene. Here are all these people who've told David that he isn't crazy, and now TYED is going to make them question their own sanity.

Assuming the Angriest Boy is separate, TYED could control it the same way it controls David, potentially.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Merrill Grinch posted:

The angry boy chases Syd and young David towards the vent and then the demon slinks through the vent after them. I think the angry boy was a way the parents used to control the demon they knew was inside of David (or possibly his power in their eyes) but the demon was far too powerful to be ruled by davids fear and is now using that against him. It's pretty clear the parents drilled that story into his mind often before bed.

Nevvy Z posted:

Assuming the Angriest Boy is separate, TYED could control it the same way it controls David, potentially.

It's separate but the TYED has had a fair amount of control over David and has even more now so it can take on its form and use it against David. Corrupting what I imagine was it's original purpose.

What I want to know is if Benny existed in reality. I think it was mentioned that he did and that he was a bad influence on David. What this means is that there are 2 people within Davids mind but 1 of them is under TYED control at the moment (along with the angry kid mental construct / defence mechanism). Lenny is the corrupted version of Benny that is under TYED control too.

"David’s ex-girlfriend remembers Benny instead of Lenny"

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 10, 2017

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Catsplosion posted:

The angry boy chases Syd and young David towards the vent and then the demon slinks through the vent after them. I think the angry boy was a way the parents used to control the demon they knew was inside of David (or possibly his power in their eyes) but the demon was far too powerful to be ruled by davids fear and is now using that against him. It's pretty clear the parents drilled that story into his mind often before bed.

Considering you can't trust that a single memory of David's actually happened I'm not sure how you can say that's pretty clear. Unless I zoned out in the last episode and it was made clear that it was real, which is possible. Did Amy mention something about it?

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I'm sure his sister has mentioned that book. Both Ptonomy and Melanie have seen it but only in his memories.

That's why I say it's clear. It also seems likely. Otherwise they created a character from a book that he created in his mind and as crazy as this show is that I think is far too pointless and convoluted.

I guess the DYE could have corrupted a real memory of his father reading him a bedtime story into that to create a character he could use to instil fear into David to keep him away from questioning his memories. That actually makes a lot of sense now I think about it.

But I don't understand why it seems that it is on Davids side or working against the TYED sometimes if that was the case. gently caress this show is confusing.

I'm starting to think all of the characters we have seen are in his head after the end of the last episode.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 11, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Catsplosion posted:

I wonder if the Angriest Boy in the World is actually the villain. If the dog King was an incarnation of Lenny/Benny, it's possible that the angriest boy is actually a manifestation of David's own rage and anger on a sub-conscious level.

So far the only time we thought it was a villain is when his dog went "missing" and he found this horrifying thing instead, with the implication that it killed the dog. But if the dog isn't real and is actually an hostile entity or personality, it's possible it's actually not what it appears.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

Another way of looking at the scene inside of Davids mind where Melanie gets her hand crippled by the book after TYED appearing behind her is that the demon closed the book to stop the angriest boy from appearing. The scenes we see of it chasing David could actually be it protecting David by chasing TYED. A construct of fear created by his father that taps into his anger and rage on a subconscious level.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My guess/theory?

Lenny and Benny were real people. The girlfriend knew Benny and Syd knew Lenny. But King has hosed with David's memories and perceptions of them to merge them into one person for him to appropriate and use to influence David. So like, Lenny was a real patient at the hospital but King might have been having entirely separate conversations with David in his head as King Lenny while Lenny was just some random patient. Who knows because any 1-on-1 interaction David has or memory is suspect.

To the same sort of thing I think King appropriated The Angriest Boy to terrorize David, but David got the Angriest Boy from somewhere else? Where? My guess, his real dad.

When we see the memory of him reading the story David can't see his face, which could have been his real dad "hiding" as his adopted dad. Maybe his dad visited him psychically as a kid and "read him a story" that was really a psychic defense mechanism meant to help the kid along with his powers. That's why we see it seeming to try and help him from time to time. But King then corrupted it like he did Lenny and Benny and made David scared of it to try and break down that defense technique.

Its pretty baseless and rooted in my comic knowledge of his dad, but its where my mind is going with it right now.

I don't try to understand any of the physics of "if the white room is astral then how will it save them from bullets?" or "how did Amy and Syd see Lenny?" because as Melanie said "we could be in David's head now." So all reality is up for grabs.

quokkaquokkaquokka
Jul 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

So all reality is up for grabs.

I've read the books, but it's been a while. At this point I have no idea what's going to happen (and I like it). It would be hard to bring in the Shadow King verbatim but I'm sure it's something like that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I don't try to understand any of the physics of "if the white room is astral then how will it save them from bullets?" or "how did Amy and Syd see Lenny?" because as Melanie said "we could be in David's head now." So all reality is up for grabs.

From what we've seen so far the full extent of his powers would make Apocalypse look like a schoolyard bully. No wonder the Shadow King's been trying to crack his egg for 30 years.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STAC Goat posted:

I'm pretty sure that the bullets are inconsequential at this point. He can teleport them out of there, or make the bullets stop, or freeze time, or do all of them. The astral room seems like just his first instinct.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I think people underestimate what the astral plane is. Sometimes just your mind goes there. If you're really powerful like David, you can physically go there. The point is it's all about frame of reference. The astral plane is as real as anything else. Or as unreal as everything else.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I said, I just don't bother trying to understand it. David has started a session astrally projecting and then ended it by physically teleporting so I know he can do it. I don't particularly care how because it's all comic book/sci fi magic. I accept that and move on. It's internally consistent so I'm fine.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Exactly.

I want to talk about the acting. Because its top tier. David's transformation was loving terrifying, and its amazing to see and sense something was wrong just by his non-verbal motions. All the other characters were great, Lenny being exceptionally off-putting and scary, Syd being sympathetic while also beliveably giving into her desires.

Also this is still the scariest show on TV and I can't think of a rival other than the odd episode of Twin Peaks. It's appointment TV.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

Also this is still the scariest show on TV and I can't think of a rival other than the odd episode of Twin Peaks. It's appointment TV.

You're not kidding. It's a better horror show than any horror show I've seen in years when it gets dark.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That slow zoom on the thermal camera of the Shadow King in David's body as it's going around literally smoking people in the D3 facility was some creep-rear end poo poo, it's true.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That reminds me of one small thing I really like - Division 3 don't actually use monitors for most of their stuff. It's black canvas stretched out on a frame with rope and an image is projected onto it.

Incredibly simple, but it looks so incredibly stylish and 'other'.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

^^ Yes, it's another thing that makes the timeframe/era difficult to pin down.

Also,anyone know what that atonal, brutal jazz track played in episode 4 was, Shazam didn't recognise it (or was it written especially for the show?).

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Now that he's been in a couple of episodes, did we ever find out if Telekinetic Mormon has a name?

Also I really like that when the demon first breaks out of David at the D3 entrance, he starts doing a bunch of stretching and calisthenics, like someone who just got out of a confined space after a long time

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

spookygonk posted:

^^ Yes, it's another thing that makes the timeframe/era difficult to pin down.

Also,anyone know what that atonal, brutal jazz track played in episode 4 was, Shazam didn't recognise it (or was it written especially for the show?).

Sonny Simmons - Metamorphosis

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I didn't see this posted before, but my wife sang the second verse of Rainbow Connection and it freaked me out:

quote:

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side
Rainbows are visions
But only illusions
And rainbows have nothing to hide

So we've been told
And some choose to believe it
I know they're wrong, wait and see
Some day we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers, and me

Who said that every wish
Would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that
And someone believed it
And look what it's done so far

What's so amazing
That keeps us stargazing
And what do we think we might see
Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers, and me

All of us under its spell, we know that it's probably magic

Have you been half asleep?
And have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name
Is this the sweet sound
That called the young sailors?
The voice might be one in the same

I've heard it too many times to ignore it
It's something that I'm supposed to be

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

La da da di da da dum da duh da da dum di da ohhh

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wow, this has to be one of the best productions to come out of Vancouver. Ever.
I had a flash of recognition during one of the scenes in D3. The stairwell interior was almost certainly shot at the BCIT marine campus in North Vancouver. Meanwhile, Mrs. Chiller called the beach in the first episode "oh poo poo, that's Cates park!"
We're both super impressed with the apparent huge step up in quality from the usual media being pumped out of the lower mainland.
Mind you, Deadpool was great, especially with limited budget.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sanschel posted:

I really hope they delve more into the Eye next episode, he's oddly intriguing. I also have no idea what his actual powers are; it seemed like shapeshifting via hypnosis but might actually be actual shapeshifting but also hypnosis?

It looks like all his poo poo is optics related,. He can probably project optical illusions, see into the astral plane, notice where bullets are going and not be there, etc.

How he made memory guy pass out just by putting a hand on his head, I dunno. Maybe he made him see something traumatic. Or maybe he's just "is powerful don't question it" levels.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chokes McGee posted:

It looks like all his poo poo is optics related,. He can probably project optical illusions, see into the astral plane, notice where bullets are going and not be there, etc.

How he made memory guy pass out just by putting a hand on his head, I dunno. Maybe he made him see something traumatic. Or maybe he's just "is powerful don't question it" levels.

He's probably telepathic as it relates to visual junk, and made the dude pass out by overloading his senses or wahtever :shrug:

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

Wow, this has to be one of the best productions to come out of Vancouver. Ever.
I had a flash of recognition during one of the scenes in D3. The stairwell interior was almost certainly shot at the BCIT marine campus in North Vancouver. Meanwhile, Mrs. Chiller called the beach in the first episode "oh poo poo, that's Cates park!"
We're both super impressed with the apparent huge step up in quality from the usual media being pumped out of the lower mainland.
Mind you, Deadpool was great, especially with limited budget.

Vancouver can produce just as high quality as anywhere else, it's just that most productions that choose Vancouver usually do it because they don't have a big budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I haven't questioned it until now because I just didn't know what the gently caress was going on anyways, but now that we have a better sense of what's happening, does anyone know why there are gerbil tubes with gerbils all over the base?