Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Team Drives and Drive File Stream have been announced at Next '17 so that might be worth looking at as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Google Team Drives and Drive File Stream have been announced at Next '17 so that might be worth looking at as well.

Don't both of those require either Enterprise or Business licenses though? As I recall these features aren't being rolled out to the basic tier, which sucks cause as a small business (300 people) there's no way I can get approval from finance for the extra license costs.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 12, 2017

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

It was a highly distributed division of the company and there was no file sharing infrastructure to begin with. So it wasn't so much a file server replacement as a rollout. But yes, national company you have definitely, definitely heard of. Box Enterprise worked really well.

nice :)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

And how will it play out in an environment that doesn't use gmail?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably quite poorly, I haven't tried to use G Suite with the email stuff disabled. A service that only does files is likely going to be a better fit for you.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

And how will it play out in an environment that doesn't use gmail?

This is us :suicide:

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
A purchase order of two Unifi AP lites, a cloud key, and bunch of cabling just got sent to the owner for approval via the manager with her full support and enthusiasm. Thanks for all your help, guys!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I love how Gsuite doesn't allow easy contact sharing. After like 8 loving years.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yeah that's kind of unfortunate :-/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

redeyes posted:

I love how Gsuite doesn't allow easy contact sharing. After like 8 loving years.

Yeah I just had someone ask me about that a few weeks ago. They have one main account and delegate the contacts through there to everyone. Sounds horrible.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I just had someone ask me about that a few weeks ago. They have one main account and delegate the contacts through there to everyone. Sounds horrible.

It's why I haven't recommended Google Apps since it came out of beta. Customers demand contact sharing. Office 365 for business has been doing the trick and if I were to pay money I would say gently caress Google's apps for small business stuff.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Hey thread! I'm a System Administrator for a small company of ~60 people, and I was hoping I could pick your collective brains for advice to see what kinds of things I can be doing better around here since I don't really have access to many people with a lot of experience.

What kind of environmental monitoring do you guys have in your MDF? I'd really like to put something in there to send me notifications about humidity, temperature, and a water sensor alarm since our data closet is right next to the kitchen here in our facility :suicide:

At home I use smart things with a water sensor for this kind of thing, but I'd prefer something more secure and purpose built and all I'm really finding are simple monitoring gadgets that don't do any kind of reporting.

Also, last year I set up Windows Server 2012 Standard to handle DHCP services and since then I've set up a bunch of other stuff on there such as cluster failover, Radius, AD, DNS, etc, and everything is working great but I'm still not 100% clear how the CAL licensing system is supposed to operate. I've just assumed you needed a CAL for each system that remotes into and controls the server, but I just read something recently that even for DHCP services, I would need a CAL for every printer etc that gets an address from the server? Are there any resources that can explain this better than Microsoft can, because their explanations are quite frankly kinda garbage. We're not using the server for file storage or for anything beyond basic network services if that simplifies anything.

Thanks in advance!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hey thread! I'm a System Administrator for a small company of ~60 people, and I was hoping I could pick your collective brains for advice to see what kinds of things I can be doing better around here since I don't really have access to many people with a lot of experience.

What kind of environmental monitoring do you guys have in your MDF? I'd really like to put something in there to send me notifications about humidity, temperature, and a water sensor alarm since our data closet is right next to the kitchen here in our facility :suicide:

At home I use smart things with a water sensor for this kind of thing, but I'd prefer something more secure and purpose built and all I'm really finding are simple monitoring gadgets that don't do any kind of reporting.

Also, last year I set up Windows Server 2012 Standard to handle DHCP services and since then I've set up a bunch of other stuff on there such as cluster failover, Radius, AD, DNS, etc, and everything is working great but I'm still not 100% clear how the CAL licensing system is supposed to operate. I've just assumed you needed a CAL for each system that remotes into and controls the server, but I just read something recently that even for DHCP services, I would need a CAL for every printer etc that gets an address from the server? Are there any resources that can explain this better than Microsoft can, because their explanations are quite frankly kinda garbage. We're not using the server for file storage or for anything beyond basic network services if that simplifies anything.

Thanks in advance!

I like APC's NetBotz for environment monitoring.

Their batteries also have environmental cards you can install in them, which will do temp/humidity, but I don't think they can do water sensors.

For CALs, you are correct when you say that anything that does a DHCP request to the server needs a CAL. This was a pretty contentious argument over the years and I don't think Microsoft released any great official documentation on it, just some Microsoft guy coming out and saying its necessary. You need to also be careful with your server licensing if you use shared storage with failover, as you need to have a license for what could potentially run on a piece of hardware. Ex: If you have 4 VMs spread across 2 physical servers, you actually need 8 licenses. 4 on each host. Truthfully, I would just get in touch with CDW and have them assist you with Microsoft licensing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks in advance!

Getting user CALs makes more sense most of the time. It is not for remoting into the server that is a remote desktop services CAL. You either need 1 per device (which MS claims includes printers that get a DHCP address which is kind of silly). It's far easier to make 100% sure you are fine by getting 1 user CAL per employee. Guests do not require CALs. If you have multiple shifts it may be cheaper to get device CALs. It's normally the same price for device and user CALs but taking a quick look it seems device CALs are cheaper right now, each CAL should run between $20-$25 ask your vendor about pricing.

Good news is CALs include all previous versions in the license, and you can't purchase old versions from any channel I've seen, so you will be able to get 2016 user CALs and not have to buy new ones if you migrate to Server 2016 (but you would for server 2016 R2 when that comes out)

Your best bet is to first email a Microsoft licensing rep and save that email. If you get audited and someone at Microsoft told you how to license it's pretty good reason to not pay any fees and just have to get more CALs from your normal channel.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Internet Explorer posted:

Their batteries also have environmental cards you can install in them, which will do temp/humidity, but I don't think they can do water sensors.

I'll second the NetBotz. We use them for basic monitoring and they work quite well.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Netbotz is good and also watchdog which is a little cheaper

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is probably an obvious and thus unstated solution: consider using a *nix system for dhcp / dns

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like the Geist monitors:

http://www.geistglobal.com/products/monitor/environmental-monitors

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Potato Salad posted:

This is probably an obvious and thus unstated solution: consider using a *nix system for dhcp / dns
This was absolutely my first impulse, but the whole reason we went with MS server was because the vendor we contract with to provide voice and data support said they would only support windows server, so that's how that decision was reached. Which is kinda funny, because they've been aggressively unhelpful in terms of support since I've been here, and instead I've been left figure everything out instead.

Internet Explorer posted:

For CALs, you are correct when you say that anything that does a DHCP request to the server needs a CAL. This was a pretty contentious argument over the years and I don't think Microsoft released any great official documentation on it, just some Microsoft guy coming out and saying its necessary. You need to also be careful with your server licensing if you use shared storage with failover, as you need to have a license for what could potentially run on a piece of hardware. Ex: If you have 4 VMs spread across 2 physical servers, you actually need 8 licenses. 4 on each host. Truthfully, I would just get in touch with CDW and have them assist you with Microsoft licensing.

Thanks for the Netbotz recommendation--that's exactly what I've been looking for! We've got several of the APC 3000VA UPS batteries, so that'll be perfect.

Ok, that is good to know about the CALs... I'll have to reach out and talk to someone then. What makes the DHCP thing difficult for us is that we moved DHCP services over to a dedicated server because our L3 switch was getting slammed at the time with our device processing. Basically we have to connect and authenticate thousands of unique devices a day, and just the action of each one requesting an IP address was consuming all the processing power on the equipment, causing all sorts of drops and havoc with the rest of the network. I'm not sure how needing a CAL for a device we will only see once might work, so I guess I'll have to talk to a rep somewhere... I'll try CDW, thanks for the heads up.

Thankfully we're not doing any virtualization or file storage on the Windows server, it's just to host network services like AD and DHCP, so hopefully that simplifies it.

I'll check into that too! It's extremely helpful to have some sort of comparison benchmark.

You guys have probably already seen this, but Cisco is offering a free Meraki POE switch with three years of licensing for attending a webinar, one person per company:

https://meraki.cisco.com/freeswitch

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 3, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

One last thing on CALs, they cover ALL servers. If you have 60 users you only need 60 user CALS not 60 per server. So if you have datacenter and make 700 VMs you only still need 60 user CALs.

Stick with user CALS if you see that many devices. Just get 1 CAL per AD account that isn't a service account. (Service accounts are presumed to be run by someone with a CAL that covers them, so a user named Scans for the scanned folder is fine and doesn't need a CAL) but talk to your rep. It will make things way better, and different reps will contradict each other because not even Microsoft understands their licensing.

The important thing is to get the answer by email or some other recorded way so if you do what they say and you still fail and audit you have someone to point to.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 3, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

OSU_Matthew posted:

Which is kinda funny, because they've been aggressively unhelpful in terms of support since I've been here, and instead I've been left figure everything out instead.

:sever:

seriously though, only way to get better service is to be willing to walk away

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buy Software Assurance with your CALs and keep it renewed so you never have to gently caress around with it again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

We're using AKCP SensorProbes at our DCs and they've worked pretty well. Not very expensive if you don't need a lot of sensors either.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Potato Salad posted:

:sever:

seriously though, only way to get better service is to be willing to walk away

I think that's the eventual plan, but my boss likes to have some contingency in place in case I get hit by a bus.

We had a prolonged series of adventures with a defective Adtran switch we had purchased from them that would bring down the whole network on a weekly basis because of the Activchassis configuration. I tracked the fault down to that switch and once I removed the backplane that isolated the problem. Eventually I wound up getting the unit RMAed directly from Adtran because the vendor wasn't helpful or responsive with troubleshooting or replacement.

It's just been a lot of issues like that, where I figure they should have a lot more experience and expertise for me to lean on, but I just keep getting let down at every turn and left to figure stuff out for myself, which honestly usually winds up with better or different stuff than they've recommended. Like having to upgrade our web filter less than a year because the one they recommended didn't have the capacity for SSL filtering and we wanted to selectively block personal gmail but allow corporate domain google mail. Just stuff like that.

pixaal posted:

One last thing on CALs, they cover ALL servers. If you have 60 users you only need 60 user CALS not 60 per server. So if you have datacenter and make 700 VMs you only still need 60 user CALs.
The important thing is to get the answer by email or some other recorded way so if you do what they say and you still fail and audit you have someone to point to.

This is especially helpful, thanks! A lot of this I'm learning as I go, so I can't tell you how much I appreciate the input.

Collateral Damage posted:

We're using AKCP SensorProbes at our DCs and they've worked pretty well. Not very expensive if you don't need a lot of sensors either.
Added to the list to explore tomorrow! Thanks everyone for the great recommendations!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Not sure what these I should be asking this in, as I am not an it guy. My organization is going to be installing Quest KACE on the computers and a :tinfoil: coworker asked if it could be used to spy on us.

My assumption is 'probably'. Any thoughts?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're hosed.

No, it is generally used for device management and not for keeping tabs on employees. If they wanted to keep tabs on you they'd probably use something else and they'd probably not tell you about it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yea that's the impression I got from reading the website. Cowerker is pretty :tinfoil: in general and doesn't know much about computers. Thanks!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yea that's the impression I got from reading the website. Cowerker is pretty :tinfoil: in general and doesn't know much about computers. Thanks!

feel free to torture your coworker about the granular level of detail that is possible for us to spy on your coworker if I cared about most of the boring rear end poo poo most people do, generally if someone is legit spying on you at the office you are already hosed and they just want grounds to term you :eng101:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Not sure what these I should be asking this in, as I am not an it guy. My organization is going to be installing Quest KACE on the computers and a :tinfoil: coworker asked if it could be used to spy on us.

COULD it be used? Yes, because the agent has vnc built in so theoretically you could watch screens all day. But no that wouldn't really happen in real life.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just want to point out that my favorite weekly report includes the terms people punch into search engines. So many higher up people googling most basic questions about how to do their jobs :allears:

Even if you're using an SSL encrypted service, chances are certs are installed on the machine so the packets can be intercepted and decrypted by the web filter.

All that being said, I've got too much other stuff to do than to pay attention or care about pretty much any of that, unless someone is specifically asking.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Thanks again for your help everyone.

The system was a breeze to set up and configure, all of our wireless issues have been fixed, and management bought me lunch and a coffee gift card as super thanks for taking this on.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

hooray don't forget to vote this thread a five

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

who here knows about intune

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

who here knows about intune

blink i havent heard about it until you just brought it up but that looks kinda cool. might have to take that one out for a test drive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have they fixed the Intune portal yet to not require Silverlight?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I don't know all I know is I need to have 125 people on it by next friday

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

gha.

why would they do that to you?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Engage the Microsoft Fast Track Center. They have a team that will walk you through the integration.

There's a minimum license commitment. But I believe you hit it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Beefstorm posted:

Engage the Microsoft Fast Track Center. They have a team that will walk you through the integration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

gha.

why would they do that to you?

bc migrating off old mdm

Beefstorm posted:

respect