Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Hey, check the PYF dog contest thread! You won!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Medullah posted:

But even that is more of a reimagining than a revival. Sure it's got Crow and Tom Servo, but it's not like a series that's picking back up.

Joel's been REALLY smart about managing people's expectations for it. He's confident (and so far early reaction sounds like he should be, even if he got them in the easiest rooms possible), but he's made it clear from the beginning that while the concept was timeless, there was no way that new episodes were going to feel like they used to. It's why he extended an open invitation to the old cast to make cameos (an invitation eventually accepted by Mary Jo, Bill, and Kevin), but didn't directly approach them about coming back.

I backed the MST3K revival as a skeptic, and I'm still a skeptic. But I really respect the effort I've seen (Joel's insight on how he rethought Gypsy, in particular, was amazing), and if I end up not liking it, it'll feel more like the end of Friday Night Lights (the film) than the beginning of Postal (the game).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As a huge MST3K fan, not quite obsessive but not far off, I have really no interest in the relaunch. If it's good fine, if not I don't really care. I've seen nothing that really makes me excited about it. I'll definitely watch a few but I'm about as indifferent to the idea of a relaunch as you could be. I feel like the concept has grown past the show at this point. I feel like Rifftrax and the former Cinematic Titanic were the right evolution of the idea and it seems to be a step backwards to me to go back to the original show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was skeptical until I went to the Rifftrax Live Reunion show and they had Jonah Ray riffing along-side everyone else.

At that point I was sold, he can hang with the others as far as delivery goes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As a huge MST3K fan the most important thing for me is if they pick good movies. You can't just watch that show for the jokes, classic episodes like Mitchell and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank are classics primarily for the movies being hilarious on their own.

When they have to try too hard to make jokes it shows and is not enjoyable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Adult Swim is streaming a free Samurai Jack marathon leading up to and including the premiere of the new season. :cheers:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite episodes were the one where Jack turns into a chicken and the one where Aku tells fairy stories, but really there were loads of great Samurai Jack episodes. There were even great episodes that barely even had Jack in them (e.g. the one where a team of bounty hunters gathers to compare strategies).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first Scottsman episode is loving art. And "vs the Ultra Robots" has that amazing scene where he calls upon his ancestors to defeat the final bot.

Almost all SJ is good, there's maybe only one or two "okay" episodes.

JUMP GOOD.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

the one where Jack turns into a chicken

That was the one that was playing when I first found the stream, I totally forgot that there was an entire episode about Jack becoming a champion cockfighter after being turned into a chicken because Wizards Are Dicks.

Rhyno posted:

The first Scottsman episode is loving art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-LyFMCIpok

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Like I said, it's ART.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Like I said, it's ART.

That little riff they play at the start of the episode kicks rear end, considering that they had Carpenter Brut on the trailer to the new season I'm assuming it's still going to hold up on the musical department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE5LVo6DyqE

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

God drat i love nature tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uEfmQt34Nc

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Rocksicles, you were right, Patriot did get better and better. What an amazing show, so bummed I have no more episodes of it to watch.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently the bird is actually dying and this is its literal swan song. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

As a huge MST3K fan, not quite obsessive but not far off, I have really no interest in the relaunch. If it's good fine, if not I don't really care. I've seen nothing that really makes me excited about it. I'll definitely watch a few but I'm about as indifferent to the idea of a relaunch as you could be. I feel like the concept has grown past the show at this point. I feel like Rifftrax and the former Cinematic Titanic were the right evolution of the idea and it seems to be a step backwards to me to go back to the original show.

The problem is that Rifftrax was never funny. I mean yeah, it's a more logical format, but goddamn does Rifftrax suck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So did a lot of "classic" MST3K episodes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Josh Lyman posted:

There's one wildcat sanctuary mini-episode (not sure what to call it, the fillers that public broadcasting puts between shows since they don't have commercials) that ends with a lynx doing a "cute" growl-moan at the camera stuck in its face. Anyone who speaks cat can recognize it as a "get the gently caress away from me I am seriously not comfortable with this" noise, which kinda ruins the mood.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

The problem is that Rifftrax was never funny. I mean yeah, it's a more logical format, but goddamn does Rifftrax suck.

Just when I thought you'd topped yourself in wrongness in BSS you go and up the ante.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Take a peak at an unrecognizable Ewan McGregor in Fargo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avAo6CbtTgE

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
All of the Uber fluffing in the new season of Love makes this feel really dated already.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

People like you are why cute animal picture sites had to ban pictures of sleeping animals because people thought they were dead.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just saw Comedy Central us launching a new 70s and Sunny lineup of "That 70s Show" and "Its Always Sunny...". A great lineup that will be my background noise for the forseeable future.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Rocksicles posted:

Imposters 5 episodes is already better than half the shows on TV.

I thought it was going to be a stupid USA-style show, but it's really, really good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I saw one comment claiming that but I'm pretty sure they were full of poo poo. The concept of dying birds singing as a warning is one I've never heard of before.

Fortunately I don't have to speculate because the creator of the original video provided the actual explanation. The bird is neither snoring nor dying - it is warming itself up from a state of torpor. The video was filmed during an experiment on this very issue, and the BBC version ignored the context.

Here's the original if you want more details:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pj5huCuhD_Q

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Per posted:

I thought it was going to be a stupid USA-style show, but it's really, really good.

I know right??? We have a fast-moving plot, really endearing main characters and no real defined set-area. It's great and probably my favourite newcomer this winter season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is that the one that's on E?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

EricBauman posted:

All of the Uber fluffing in the new season of Love makes this feel really dated already.

So I PM'd OldSenileGuy about whether un-archiving threads was a thing (I made the original one that went all of three pages and figured it could just continue) but he suggested just making a new one. That said, having watched almost all of it already, I don't have enough enthusiasm to do so. TL;DR: everything outside of Gus and Mickey's relationship seems like a waste of time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I always find it weird when someone asks something like, "Does anyone know the name of the song that was playing during that one scene?", and I go back and it's just some rhythmic techno music in the background that I didn't even notice. I would never think of it, but some people actually download and listen to that stuff? It makes me feel like my music tastes are pretty limited if I'm not listening to "That one song that played for fourteen seconds at the end of that episode of Shameless". I thought they were just some random music beats thrown together for background noise because paying for the rights to an actual song is expensive, but are they always/sometimes actual songs?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Take a peak at an unrecognizable Ewan McGregor in Fargo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avAo6CbtTgE

Jesus Christ I am so hype, I had no idea it was coming out next month.

Lurdiak posted:

Have you seen every Rifftrax? I mean they vary wildly in quality and I find it really hard to believe you think they're all stinkers. At the very least, the Twilight riffs are loving great. And so is Guy From Harlem.

So I started a rewatch of Patriot last night. It's even better the second time through, Jesus. What a show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I always find it weird when someone asks something like, "Does anyone know the name of the song that was playing during that one scene?", and I go back and it's just some rhythmic techno music in the background that I didn't even notice. I would never think of it, but some people actually download and listen to that stuff? It makes me feel like my music tastes are pretty limited if I'm not listening to "That one song that played for fourteen seconds at the end of that episode of Shameless". I thought they were just some random music beats thrown together for background noise because paying for the rights to an actual song is expensive, but are they always/sometimes actual songs?

I mean, I don't know you're specific examples, but it's kind of an acquired thing. When I was younger, all heavy metal sounded the same to me. Like a wall of noise. But once I had started finding artists and songs like I liked, it suddenly became intelligible.

I like a lot of a lot electronic music now, and it was probably a similar journey. I think it's just about learning what you're listening to. If you are interested at all, maybe check out some Daft Punk. Not only are they a cornerstone of the vast umbrella of electronic music, they often partner with a variety of vocalists and make a lot of really accessible tracks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks to the miracle of music licensing, John Darnielle has made more money in the past couple years than he made in all of the 90s and 00s combined.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

MiddleOne posted:

I know right??? We have a fast-moving plot, really endearing main characters and no real defined set-area. It's great and probably my favourite newcomer this winter season.

While I would definitely award that title to Patriot, Imposters is an excellent second.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

Just when I thought you'd topped yourself in wrongness in BSS you go and up the ante.

Your terrible tastes know no bounds.

EricBauman posted:

It's fine and dandy not to be a fan of uber as a company, but cabs are still just about a million times worse to actually use.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Finally finished Patriot. So good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Snak posted:

Finally finished Patriot. So good.

On Episode 4 right now. Loving it so far, never would have even heard of it if it weren't for this thread. Finally my :10bux: registration fee has been earned, a mere 14 years later!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

precision posted:

Jesus Christ I am so hype, I had no idea it was coming out next month.

Have you seen every Rifftrax? I mean they vary wildly in quality and I find it really hard to believe you think they're all stinkers. At the very least, the Twilight riffs are loving great. And so is Guy From Harlem.

So I started a rewatch of Patriot last night. It's even better the second time through, Jesus. What a show.

Rifftrax varies wildly in quality, and I don't like any of the ones they do for movies that are 'good' (Though I know that's a highly subjective view). It's weird, but I feel like they're going through the motions. MST3K seemed more like a labour of love for everyone involved, Rifftrax just doesn't have that feel to it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I always find it weird when someone asks something like, "Does anyone know the name of the song that was playing during that one scene?"

Its great that there are websites dedicated to this, because otherwise I'd never have worked out the 'heavy' track near the end of the Limitless finale (which plays samples of 'wired for sound' backwards) was Blanck Mass, because of course it was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Have you seen every Rifftrax?

Oh no, is it one of those things where I have to see every single one to be allowed to say if it's good or not? I've listened to about 5 of them and a couple highlight reels on youtube. I checked out when their only gag for the asian character in twilight was "he likes anime because he's asian".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Lie to Me only had 2 seasons, I even remember being mad about it getting canceled, but Netflix recommended it and I see there's a whole third season that's new to me!

I highly recommend it, Tim Roth is in top form in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I remember liking Lie to Me quite a bit for about a month and then very suddenly becoming bored with it. I don't think I've been like that with another show.

• Locked thread