Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pienipple posted:

I used to live in an 1890 something farmhouse with retro fitted plumbing and it had a proper sealed water heater. The entire idea of having an open water system is bizarre to me.

Waa? How do you fish out the dead bugs and rats if the tank is sealed? There could be anything in there. Seems unsanitary IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hello I'm British and I've never heard of a release valve

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pick posted:

Hello I'm British and I've never heard of a release valve

That right there explains so much of British history...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I did some more research and found this thread which has some pretty well-explained reasons.

quote:

The norm was for the cold water tap in the kitchen to be connected to the mains water as it is 'potable' i.e. for drinking.

The cold water tank would normally be used to re-fill the hot water tank in a conventional central heating system. As these systems are ventillated and not pressurised they cannot be connected directly to mains water pressure, hence the need for a tank. (the only pressure in thses systems is generated by the tank being higher than the taps)

The cold water tank would also be used to supply bathroom and toilet water. (I have no idea why!)

Modern combi-boilers are fed directly from the mains thus do not require a cold water tank.

Having a cold water tank gives a reserve supply should the water supply be disrupted and also helps even out demand on the mains water during peak demand.

In the water regs I also believe a water tank is required if more than one toilet is fitted in a house.

The downside of a tank is the risk of a frozen/burst pipe especially now lofts are far better insulated. Also as previously mentioned, just look in the bottem of the tank and see the amount of gunge that collects, especially if it is an old galvanised tank. Yuk.

If the cold water tank is not actually required (i.e a combi boiler is fitted or no central heating) it is quite easy to bypass and then remove the tank. The toilet cistern valve may need to be replaced due to the higher pressure and some washing machines come with a restricter to be fitted if it is on mains water .

Seems like modern constructions can have more modern hot water heaters (they call them combi-boilers) but the code is stuck in the 1940's because it requires cold water tanks.

Then I saw this loving gem:

quote:

That depends what the brown sludge is.
The only brown residue in our tank is peat and there is nothing wrong with drinking that.

Goddamn Britain get your poo poo together.

fuckin breeders man
Mar 21, 2007
this is like the first time that I read an asswiping debate here. I cannot believe that you people are serious, but enough people are saying it to make me think it's not a joke.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

after moving to the USA i frequently missed central heating (you haven't lived if you ain't pressed your bare skin against a hot radiator, desperately trying to get warm in the dead of winter), but if central heating is to blame for attic tanks and my having to go all the way downstairs if i wanted a drink of water during the night, i'm feeling better about forced-air heat and the general state of HVAC in the US.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

if y'all are losing your poo poo about attic tanks, let me introduce you to... the Ring Main. Someone summon three-phase or another electrical poster, I can't describe the lunacy.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

oh and the UK has at least one "Short Term Operating Reserve" power station (Dinorwig, it's a pretty cool piece of hydroelectric design tbh) that can be spun up in seconds to respond to the sudden spike in electrical demand that occurs when a popular TV show goes to commercial (or, say, a semi-cup final ends) and everyone in the country goes to the kitchen and switches on the kettle.

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Mar 12, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

in conclusion,

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

if y'all are losing your poo poo about attic tanks, let me introduce you to... the Ring Main. Someone summon three-phase or another electrical poster, I can't describe the lunacy.

There is no :stonk: large enough to encompass the glory of the Ring Main.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

linked page posted:

There is a common misconception that the number one driver of TV pickup is the boiling of kettles. In fact, this only creates a pull on the local network for a short period of time until the water has boiled, and can therefore be managed relatively easily

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
While I think open-top attic tanks are weird, the presence of rooftop tanks in tall buildings is not so weird.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elisa_Lam

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I figured someone would correct me on that, but I assumed it would be fishmech, not you.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

after moving to the USA i frequently missed central heating (you haven't lived if you ain't pressed your bare skin against a hot radiator, desperately trying to get warm in the dead of winter), but if central heating is to blame for attic tanks and my having to go all the way downstairs if i wanted a drink of water during the night, i'm feeling better about forced-air heat and the general state of HVAC in the US.

:confused:

I don't think I've been in a house in the US that doesn't have central heating. I've never even seen a radiator outside of a trip to Europe and staying in dodgy cheap hotels in Austria. Is that just an east coast/midwest thing?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Older city buildings tend to have radiators, at least in the east/Midwest (looking at my Midwestern radiator in a 75+ year old building).
Personally I think radiated heat is a lot warmer than central heat and other than taking up precious corner of each room, our apartment is so much warmer than when we had central heating.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

:confused:

I don't think I've been in a house in the US that doesn't have central heating. I've never even seen a radiator outside of a trip to Europe and staying in dodgy cheap hotels in Austria. Is that just an east coast/midwest thing?

Central Heating is radiators in every room fed by a boiler.

So whatever you think Central Heating is, isn't.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Central heating [uk parlance] ≈ steam heat [eastern US seaboard parlance]

('cept in central heating the water is almost always below boiling point and in steam heat it starts above boiling, then dips below)

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Mar 12, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Move to an old building in New York if you want loving radiators going on hyperdrive all day and all night. There was one February where I had all my windows open every second I was home and still had to use box fans to keep from stroking out because the landlord refused to fix some part of the heating system so every apartment was 85 degrees Fahrenheit and hissed like a basket full of cobras.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pasco posted:

Forced-air Central Heating is a thing. You might have a different name for it, but calling it central heating isn't wrong. Hot air central heating has been around since the early 1800's.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Move to an old building in New York if you want loving radiators going on hyperdrive all day and all night. There was one February where I had all my windows open every second I was home and still had to use box fans to keep from stroking out because the landlord refused to fix some part of the heating system so every apartment was 85 degrees Fahrenheit and hissed like a basket full of cobras.

sure is fun when your windows are frozen open and a cold snap hits!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You know, plumbing designed by people not stuck in the 1870s. No mouse water, high efficiency boiler, pressurised hot water. Couple it with insulation and it's almost like living in a civilised country.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cakesmith handyman posted:

You know, plumbing designed by people not stuck in the 1870s. No mouse water, high efficiency boiler, pressurised hot water. Couple it with insulation and it's almost like living in a civilised country.

I gathered from context the type of plumbing you were referring to, it was the fact that you called it "adult plumbing" that has me confused.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Poor John Oliver.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Paladinus posted:

Poor John Oliver.

Robotnik's been super touchy since he accidentally shaved off his mustache.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Pasco posted:

I think we may just call it "hot-water heat" or "hydronic" heat in the US. Boiler hooked up to hot water lines that run to radiators or (more commonly in newer construction) baseboard heaters. Cast iron radiators and hydronic heat is the best kind of heat. It's evenly warm, quiet, and doesn't blow dust around. I've got an older home with radiators and a modern high efficiency boiler, and it kicks butt.

HVAC/forced hot air is in like 90% of new construction in the US, however. The system is cheaper, and you can hook up central air to the same vents. However, I find it to have a kind of "burnt air" feeling, and more prone to temperature variation.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Do you have a single central source of heating distributed to the whole house by some source of system? Congrats, I think that qualifies to be called a central heating system.

The idea of steam central heating has always seemed weird to me, incredibly inefficient and dangerous, but I have ring mains so whatever.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Most places I've lived had baseboard heat. Except that one apartment that had steam heat that couldn't be controlled at all so I had my windows open all winter or the awful radiator made it 90F constantly.

Hot water circulates through the baseboard radiators and radiates into the rooms, close the flap for less warmth, open it for more.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

pienipple posted:

close the flap for less warmth, open it for more.

Old times pajamas work the opposite way

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
District heating is where it’s at.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lifehack: scatter a bunch of plutonium nuggets around the house in the winter. This lifehack brought to you by NASA -- it's what the Mars rovers do! They're called Radioisotope Heater Units and they keep the electronics warm enough to function on Mars. And plutonium could keep YOU warm too!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

December 2001 – Three lumberjacks in the nation of Georgia found two warm canisters near their camp and spent the night beside them. The canisters were discarded and unshielded heat sources from Soviet radioisotope thermoelectric generators, containing 30 kCi (1.1 PBq) of 90Sr each. The lumberjacks started showing symptoms of radiation sickness within hours, and were subsequently hospitalized with severe radiation burns. The disposal team consisted of 25 men who were restricted to 40 seconds' worth of exposure each while transferring the canisters to lead-lined drums.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Lifehack: scatter a bunch of plutonium nuggets around the house in the winter. This lifehack brought to you by NASA -- it's what the Mars rovers do! They're called Radioisotope Heater Units and they keep the electronics warm enough to function on Mars. And plutonium could keep YOU warm too!

drat, and after I sold my plutonium. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obNIeg2EHDU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
My in-laws live in the US, and has what I guess is a pretty normal house, with a furnace in the basement which blows hot air through vents in the house, controlled by a thermostat.

However, the blowing is either ON FULL BLAST or off. Isn't there a way in US houses to get this just to blow constantly on some sort of low setting?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evobatman posted:

My in-laws live in the US, and has what I guess is a pretty normal house, with a furnace in the basement which blows hot air through vents in the house, controlled by a thermostat.

However, the blowing is either ON FULL BLAST or off. Isn't there a way in US houses to get this just to blow constantly on some sort of low setting?

No.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

evobatman posted:

Yes. You can set it to constantly blow and/or install a multi-speed fan.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

evobatman posted:

Yes. They either have a very cheap blower fan with one speed or the fan speed controller thingy burnt out and they didn't bother to fix it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's like the UK was the lovely first draft of the US, and then they forgot to get rid of it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's the poo poo original trunk which the devs with any drive rageforked and rewrote, while the remaining turdlets were stackholmed enough to not let the old corpse die peacefully, but instead ram an interoperability framework up its butt yelling "we used to be da best and now we have 1500% additional features" only now that they've found they're outpaced by pretty much everyone they've started abandoning the interoperability initiative, only slowly realizing that this will only leave them the core that never worked in the first place. Then the devs who forked off join Scientology what a muppet show.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I can tell that's English.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
At least it has all the symptoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

LPT: Magnify your phone screen by putting it in a glass of water.