Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Joe Slowboat posted:

...also, is anyone else annoyed by the use of real-world ethnic conflict or its implication to comfort an obnoxious super-powered white college student about her choices?
She could be off saving people from ethnic cleansing and instead she's being comforted by a survivor of same. What grand perspective!

It feels kind of scummy and I hate all the people in the comments section who praise the author for using real world poo poo as a tool to explain why his super strong violent rear end in a top hat is correct for abusing a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

hostess with the Moltres posted:

This whole "violence is good when it's used for a good reason and it's good to coerce people into doing what you want, regardless of it goes against their personal choices" bit is bugging me but I'm having difficulty putting why I don't like it into words.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't get it. I guess this means I'm a lovely liberal for caring about personal choice or whatever

That may be because those things are objectively evil :shrug:

Joe Slowboat posted:

...also, is anyone else annoyed by the use of real-world ethnic conflict or its implication to comfort an obnoxious super-powered white college student about her choices?
She could be off saving people from ethnic cleansing and instead she's being comforted by a survivor of same. What grand perspective!

Yes, the comic is all about First World Problems.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If there were a rich guy whose super power is making people more tolerant, she'd sure as hell beat him up to stop ethnic cleansing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has anyone said "Clevin Bundy" yet?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No comic today, thank Clevin.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Flesh Forge posted:

That may be because those things are objectively evil :shrug:

So you're an anarchist, eh? :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

See how quickly we adopt the viewpoint of the enemy?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how is the fat sparrow, please

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if this comic goes on an indefinite hiatus at the end of this issue. Ostertag has so much going on she can't find the time or the will to buffer a week's worth of updates while she's in Scotland despite the last 12 pages being nothing but talking heads in a blue void. Mulligan ran out of steam hundreds of pages ago and is now using the comic as a platform to rail against libertarianism and the concept of voluntary exchange in a way that makes me feel embarrassed to be a liberal. I'm hanging on just to see where this war story goes and then I'll probably drop it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

how is the fat sparrow, please

I haven't been back there so I don't know. Probably still fat and happy since it was an open air cafe that sold muffins.

I found this guy hanging out under my garbage can though, that's close enough right?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:ohdear: please don't squish the little guy :ohdear:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Flesh Forge posted:

Do it. It hasn't kept its end of the social compact, so it's entirely within the demands of justice that you squish it.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

I haven't been back there so I don't know. Probably still fat and happy since it was an open air cafe that sold muffins.

I found this guy hanging out under my garbage can though, that's close enough right?
excellent news, thank you for this

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

He's actually pretty huge for a gecko and is like, twice the size of the house geckos around here. Also they're apparently an invasive species.

I'm cool with letting it chill in my yard, it seems happy.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
while we're sharing lizard friends, i found this entity in my firewood heap a few days ago

when it's full-grown it'll be about as long as my arm. yesterday my dog found one that was about half this size (he didn't hurt it, just poked it with his nose and wandered on) but i didn't have my phone on me so no photos unfortunately :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Avshalom posted:

while we're sharing lizard friends, i found this entity in my firewood heap a few days ago

when it's full-grown it'll be about as long as my arm. yesterday my dog found one that was about half this size (he didn't hurt it, just poked it with his nose and wandered on) but i didn't have my phone on me so no photos unfortunately :(

:eyepop:
I wish we got big cool lizards here.

Mostly we just get house geckos. They make loud Eh-eh-eh sounds in the middle of the night.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
geckos are the best and you're very lucky, we have native geckos in my area but they're very shy and seldom seen

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Nuebot posted:

:eyepop:
I wish we got big cool lizards here.

Mostly we just get house geckos. They make loud Eh-eh-eh sounds in the middle of the night.

"Just get house geckos?" Here I don't have any awesome lizards at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Here in the tropical rainforests of Texas we have both geckos and radical colorful tree frogs :frog:

In fact it's about time for them to start coming out, I'll get some pictures.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Avshalom posted:

geckos are the best and you're very lucky, we have native geckos in my area but they're very shy and seldom seen

They come out a bunch and when it's breeding season or whatever and baby geckos are out in full force trying not to be eaten by the adults I get really worried they're going to hide in my computer. It's happened before. My cat loves eating the baby geckos too. :negative:

We also have bugs up the wazoo.

I have no clue what kind of butterfly this becomes, but I watched it crawl for like a solid ten minutes. It was fascinating. Little dude loved him some grass.

Grass hoppers aren't exotic at all, I just think they're cool.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Joe Slowboat posted:

The lack of specificity bugs me more. If you are going to hint about this stuff, pick something that actually happened (or that didn't, but hints at how things are different in SFP world).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nuebot posted:

They make loud Eh-eh-eh sounds in the middle of the night.

hell, same

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
All I have are loving box elder bugs. Send me some cool rear end lizards and poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I appreciate the turn this thread has taken. "Look at our weird critters!"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Strange Fauna Parade

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

That one down in the bottom left seems slightly more clever than the rest of them. He's got his eye on you.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
there is absolutely no such thing as a clever keet, they're about as smart as earthworms (but much faster!)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Don't you stop me from projecting onto these cute little birds.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

Don't you stop me from projecting onto these cute little birds.
this one's lying in wait

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Looks like it's about one good spark away from being a delicious chicken nugget.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's a weirdly framed photo, why aren't the chicks in the centohhhhh right

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This would not have happened if I had not had a gun

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

This would not have happened if I had not had a gun

People don't kill people, guns kill people!

EDIT: Can I blame this donut for making me eat it?

EDIT2: Guys, I Couldn't stop it! :smith: If only I hadn't picked up that donut, my stomach would have gone unsated in peace.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 14, 2017

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
If only I wasn't in a warzone, literally surrounded by guns, I would not have ethnically cleansed that doctor.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There is literally no way to kill a person without a gun, actually.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
This is all going to lead to a The Boys situation and its going to be presented as a good thing, isn't it. I guess a more likely ending would be Miracleman but I haven't read that one.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I know this is stupid and overwrought, but come on.

The intent of this parable is not that he couldn't have killed the doctor without a gun, but that the gun created a such a huge power imbalance between the two it enabled the professor to feel like he could kill, or not kill, the doctor with impunity.

The exact situation Allison finds herself in constantly.

Hating this dumb comic is fine but at least hate it for the right reasons. My reasons.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Galvanik posted:

I know this is stupid and overwrought, but come on.

The intent of this parable is not that he couldn't have killed the doctor without a gun, but that the gun created a such a huge power imbalance between the two it enabled the professor to feel like he could kill, or not kill, the doctor with impunity.

The exact situation Allison finds herself in constantly.

I don't think that's quite right. Finding the gun is framed as giving Guwara /responsibility/ to overpower others. It's not about impunity, or the way in which the capacity for violence twists one's thinking. It's about how hard it is to be powerful, to be able to hurt people.
I just think it's important to keep an eye on how this comic frames doing evil things as an injury done to the doer by the world, for forcing them to be tyrannical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It's a weak analogy though since the professor chose to arm himself and could have disarmed himself at any time. Also there was nothing to be gained from murdering the doctor. His friend was already dead, he killed out of spite.

Edit: I mean it's pretty gross how he uses deontology as an excuse for sectarian killing

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 14, 2017

• Locked thread