Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Reality TV is the video equivalent of the fact that trashy romance novels sell better than all other kinds of books combined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

this is perhaps naive of me to say, in CSPAM, but I hope the global economy doesn't meltdown and I die

This depends entirely on whether the wall street faction of Trump's cabinet successfully beats out Bannon and the rest, and I hate to break it to you, but Trump still gets his news from a source that deliberately out-crazy's Bannon.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

financially racist posted:

what exactly would the repercussions of a default be

well the rub is its never happened before so no one is sure how bad it would get or how quickly; a good baseline comparison would be the last financial crisis.

during the crisis a number of financial institutions went tits up, but larger than that the value of various investment products (like mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps) came into question. companies make decisions based on a lot of things, but how much money they have available to them and what things are worth is a large part of that process for obvious reasons, and suddenly people weren't sure if they had a lot of money on their asset sheet or if they had a lot of worthless garbage; in that situation, they make the prudent individual decision of not lending out anything because they have no idea how much risk lending would put them in. this is alright if one company does it, but when they all start doing it the economy grinds to a halt because you cant get money for anything.

now imagine instead of mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps if the thing in question is US t-bills (which are wound up in basically everyones investments because theyre currently viewed as the safest investment known to man) and US dollars. oh and the US government cant bail themselves out like they could by flooding the financial markets with money to buy up the bad stuff either. people make a run on banks for their money, then they make a run on stores to hoard supplies because theyre afraid the dollar will be worthless but food and water and gas will hold value by their nature; gas and necessity prices spike, shortages spark violence in the US, martial law is ordered in places where it gets bad enough to cause significant civil unrest, and we see the next 10 years if we're lucky become a dead decade. it also probably drags down the world economy too because other nations invest in the US too.

maybe we also wind up with a charismatic fascist for leader out of it too, but we may have the order hosed up on that one given our current president. :shrug:

anyway, thats one possible outcome.maybe we'd get lucky and everyone would be cool about it. :smithicide:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

skaboomizzy posted:

Would you like to add a large soda for $1?

[extremely peaches cadence] sippin on some guinness like

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Spoondick posted:

since most of the worlds wealth is owned by like 400 people, good, gently caress em, what can we do to make this happen?

like i said before if the cracks finally combine into a gaping hole and everyone starts coming out for the blood of the plutocrats i would totally be part of it

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

skaboomizzy posted:

Would you like to add a large soda for $1?

Would you like to shut the hell up moron

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

plz dont sign yer posts

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Agrajag posted:

this that bipolar chick that steals everything in sight?

you're right, she is pretty great

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/EmojiMeadow/status/840578973260230656

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agrajag posted:

i really really wanted to try and skim the article but i couldnt get past whether or not those freckles are tattooed on

SF seems to be a magnet for borderline mentally ill people and the worst types of hipsters.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

etalian posted:

SF seems to be a magnet for borderline mentally ill people and the worst types of hipsters.

u said hipsters twice

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mo_Steel posted:

well the rub is its never happened before so no one is sure how bad it would get or how quickly; a good baseline comparison would be the last financial crisis.

during the crisis a number of financial institutions went tits up, but larger than that the value of various investment products (like mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps) came into question. companies make decisions based on a lot of things, but how much money they have available to them and what things are worth is a large part of that process for obvious reasons, and suddenly people weren't sure if they had a lot of money on their asset sheet or if they had a lot of worthless garbage; in that situation, they make the prudent individual decision of not lending out anything because they have no idea how much risk lending would put them in. this is alright if one company does it, but when they all start doing it the economy grinds to a halt because you cant get money for anything.

now imagine instead of mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps if the thing in question is US t-bills (which are wound up in basically everyones investments because theyre currently viewed as the safest investment known to man) and US dollars. oh and the US government cant bail themselves out like they could by flooding the financial markets with money to buy up the bad stuff either. people make a run on banks for their money, then they make a run on stores to hoard supplies because theyre afraid the dollar will be worthless but food and water and gas will hold value by their nature; gas and necessity prices spike, shortages spark violence in the US, martial law is ordered in places where it gets bad enough to cause significant civil unrest, and we see the next 10 years if we're lucky become a dead decade. it also probably drags down the world economy too because other nations invest in the US too.

maybe we also wind up with a charismatic fascist for leader out of it too, but we may have the order hosed up on that one given our current president. :shrug:

anyway, thats one possible outcome.maybe we'd get lucky and everyone would be cool about it. :smithicide:

you left out one key thing that happened during the great recession, mass layoffs. a default fueled one would be magnitudes worse

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Fullhouse posted:

lol those 400 people will be perfectly fine and everyone else will be hosed inside out

everyone is hosed anyways as wealth concentrates in fewer people and they work to revert the world to authoritarian serfdom with them in charge

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zegermans posted:

u said hipsters twice

there's a place in the bay area that sells artisan grilled cheese sandwiches.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

lol ur the worst. all that schlock and you didn't even post their only decent song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgdbmoLNRTM

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

etalian posted:

lol wut

special cheese and bread i assume?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopeFgwApCM

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Grondoth posted:

The consequences would be so far reaching and devastating I legit don't know fully what would happen. Basically the entire world's economy rests on the back of the US 1: wanting people to buy its debt and 2: saying that we'll pay it back in full. If we change this, literally everything will start to explode.

this sounds more like a dude with extremely bad credit than the cornerstone of the world economy

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

etalian posted:

is this in the SF airport bc i had a really tasty bread bwol there

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mo_Steel posted:

lol HELLZ YEAH american Brexit!!! I literally hate Muslims more than I love being the worlds reserve currency and lol I dont understand eother!!!

-trump supportsww

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/840736396579069952

:shrug:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Yinlock posted:

this sounds more like a dude with extremely bad credit than the cornerstone of the world economy

surprise surprise sovereign debt works differently

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agrajag posted:

lol wut

special cheese and bread i assume?

https://themelt.com/menu

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I am the last thing that stands between you and the apocalypse.

*throws up and passes out*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sovereign debt works one way when you're jerking off the finance sector, and another way when you're gutting social welfare programs

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

I am the last thing that stands between you and the apocalypse.

*throws up and passes out*

*Doesn't even campaign in rust belt states she lost to Bernie*
*Spends campaign money on running ads in the LA market*

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

what the gently caress is this? at least go to the real grilled cheese place

http://meltbarandgrilled.com/menu/melt-menu/

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Foodies are every bit as bad as yacht collectors imho

Just because the scale is different doesn't mean the disease is different

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Yinlock posted:

welcome to modern finance capitalism, enjoy your stay until the next crash

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

look at this beta that hasn't had a grilled cheese with a piece of lasagna in it

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Yinlock posted:

This has been the conservative yuk yuk line for like 30 years, a country's debt and a persons debt are totally different things.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mo_Steel posted:

thanks duder

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

look at this beta that hasn't had a grilled cheese with a piece of lasagna in it

we have a cheese-focused food truck in town that's well-reviewed, but it's not this $4 toast bullshit, it's just a straight up "park outside bars at 2am and offer greasy rear end grilled cheese sandwiches and poo poo" and they make a loving killing

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

i only eat mcgriddle buns

i get my moisture from the freezerburn

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

welcome to modern finance capitalism, enjoy your stay until the next crash

Also yes this entire system is literally built on delusions, speculation, bubbles and exploitation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

all i can hear is the hologram static of someone who once had this mug to mock Bill Mitchell with

• Locked thread