Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I wonder if since we started making the debt limit a political football if companies and what not have finally updated their software/equipment to handle a default instead of just causing a mass crash because it's something people thought would never happen

ed: balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Epic High Five posted:

we have a cheese-focused food truck in town that's well-reviewed, but it's not this $4 toast bullshit, it's just a straight up "park outside bars at 2am and offer greasy rear end grilled cheese sandwiches and poo poo" and they make a loving killing

get a grilled cheese with a fried chicken breast and an entire belgian waffle in it for $8 and fall asleep so you dont even have to go to the bar

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

get a grilled cheese with a fried chicken breast and an entire belgian waffle in it for $8 and fall asleep so you dont even have to go to the bar

i'll just drink a 50:50 vodka diet ginger ale and pass out instead

drat protein fasts :(

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

maybe we'd get lucky and everyone would be cool about it.

it will be this one actually, but only for a week or two

remember trump has toyed with the idea of not extending the debt limit, the world would watch to see if we got rid of him

republicans still wouldn't impeach him, and then after a week or two of being patient everyone would decide that our money was fake

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Nastier Nate posted:

Tomi Lahren is terrible but there's a certain authentaicity about her terribleness. I give her credit for going on the daily show, she's got more balls than any republican congressman right now making up excuses not to host a town hall. This is opposed to Ann Coulter who is probably a normal person playing a character to sell books to rubes.

there's video of her back in college, so like five months ago, hosting some student talk show and she was just as stupid but not really partisan

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

even with more concrete things like government contracts its an utter clusterfuck

i cant imagine the costs with like...shutting down the f-35 program for a week

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
lool i genuinely liathe some of the arguments trampsupporters use when saying trump is doing ok so far especially the DJIA hitting 21k

Bit. H that index is literally 30 companies and the numbers you see on tv aren't even the total return numbers masters pevel math dudes whose entire job title is "Performance Analyst" get from pulling numbers from a Bloomberg terminal (which costs like $2000 per monfb per terminal per employee and costs money for some searches on top of it) just so thsy can make regulatory compliant reports for our client

the average "I want my coal job back" trump supporter can't afforfd a single share of any of those stocks and the proce of speculators investments has no baring on their futures

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mormonpartyboat posted:

even with more concrete things like government contracts its an utter clusterfuck

i cant imagine the costs with like...shutting down the f-35 program for a week

if the crash also kills the f-35 then i am on board even harder

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lastgirl posted:

all i can hear is the hologram static of someone who once had this mug to mock Bill Mitchell with

https://twitter.com/evepeyser/status/840311739879153666

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"ill pay you back man, im serious this time"

*cut to man building extremely expensive wall around his neighbor's yard*

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Spoondick posted:

since most of the worlds wealth is owned by like 400 people, good, gently caress em, what can we do to make this happen?

Vote Republican.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cumshitter posted:

lool i genuinely liathe some of the arguments trampsupporters use when saying trump is doing ok so far especially the DJIA hitting 21k

Bit. H that index is literally 30 companies and the numbers you see on tv aren't even the total return numbers masters pevel math dudes whose entire job title is "Performance Analyst" get from pulling numbers from a Bloomberg terminal (which costs like $2000 per monfb per terminal per employee and costs money for some searches on top of it) just so thsy can make regulatory compliant reports for our client

the average "I want my coal job back" trump supporter can't afforfd a single share of any of those stocks and the proce of speculators investments has no baring on their futures

it has no bearing on anyone's future really

the stock market sucks rear end, i thought we'd have learned this lesson around the time of the great depression

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

just got back from sf... went to get breakfast at a place in the tenderloin yesterday and a basehead walking by decided he didn't like the gay hipster guy in front of me in line and started verbally abusing him and getting in his face, breakfast was good though

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

wasn't jesus a crazy hobo

admittedly a good and well-meaning one, but still

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

Remember how banks got bailed out and were able to buy up the now half price homes out to rent?

one of the big underreported consequences of the 2008 crash bailout legislation cycle is the hyperconsolidation of regional banks

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I wonder if since we started making the debt limit a political football if companies and what not have finally updated their software/equipment to handle a default instead of just causing a mass crash because it's something people thought would never happen

well s&p dropped the the US's credit rating to AA+ and they specifically blamed the debt limit being turned into a bullshit political game

quote:

"The political brinksmanship of recent months highlights what we see as America's governance and policymaking becoming less stable, less effective, and less predictable than what we previously believed. The statutory debt ceiling and the threat of default have become political bargaining chips in the debate over fiscal policy.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

financially racist posted:

if the crash also kills the f-35 then i am on board even harder

problem is, poo poo like that can end up costing more than finishing

holla holla wasted dolla

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i think what's going to happen is the usa will default and they will pretend everything is fine so hard that the currency will stay afloat, and i will get extremely mad

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Agrajag posted:

the moment institutions believe the US is even going to think about defaulting poo poo will loving melt down like you wouldnt believe

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

lmao (((media)))

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

problem is, poo poo like that can end up costing more than finishing

holla holla wasted dolla

it won't cost as much as having to build a new f-35 for every mission like disposable cameras though

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Can't wait to see the art of the deal in full effect

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Until people lose all faith in Wall Street and the stock market as a measure of anything there's no hope

If the market rallies bigly only a couple people see a benefit. If it tanks, the whole country suffers.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

etalian posted:

Remember how banks got bailed out and were able to buy up the now half price homes out to rent?

banks getting bailed out then immediately turning around and doing the same poo poo that got them in trouble in the first place was the worst

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Until people lose all faith in Wall Street and the stock market as a measure of anything there's no hope

If the market rallies bigly only a couple people see a benefit. If it tanks, the whole country suffers.

occupy wall street was right all along

you don't need a big plan, just gently caress wall street, burn it down

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Guillotines should be set up on Wall Street and run 24/7

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Yinlock posted:

banks getting bailed out then immediately turning around and doing the same poo poo that got them in trouble in the first place was the worst
banks getting trillions in zero-interest loans from special lending programs, then loaning all of that money back to the government for 3% by buying t-bills.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mo_Steel posted:

well the rub is its never happened before so no one is sure how bad it would get or how quickly; a good baseline comparison would be the last financial crisis.

during the crisis a number of financial institutions went tits up, but larger than that the value of various investment products (like mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps) came into question. companies make decisions based on a lot of things, but how much money they have available to them and what things are worth is a large part of that process for obvious reasons, and suddenly people weren't sure if they had a lot of money on their asset sheet or if they had a lot of worthless garbage; in that situation, they make the prudent individual decision of not lending out anything because they have no idea how much risk lending would put them in. this is alright if one company does it, but when they all start doing it the economy grinds to a halt because you cant get money for anything.

now imagine instead of mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps if the thing in question is US t-bills (which are wound up in basically everyones investments because theyre currently viewed as the safest investment known to man) and US dollars. oh and the US government cant bail themselves out like they could by flooding the financial markets with money to buy up the bad stuff either. people make a run on banks for their money, then they make a run on stores to hoard supplies because theyre afraid the dollar will be worthless but food and water and gas will hold value by their nature; gas and necessity prices spike, shortages spark violence in the US, martial law is ordered in places where it gets bad enough to cause significant civil unrest, and we see the next 10 years if we're lucky become a dead decade. it also probably drags down the world economy too because other nations invest in the US too.

maybe we also wind up with a charismatic fascist for leader out of it too, but we may have the order hosed up on that one given our current president. :shrug:

anyway, thats one possible outcome.maybe we'd get lucky and everyone would be cool about it. :smithicide:

I look forward to President Oprah as the end result.

Not even kidding here.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

etalian posted:

*Doesn't even campaign in rust belt states she lost to Bernie*
*Spends campaign money on running ads in the LA market*

*writes the same d and d post over and over again in c-spam, in the trump thread*

*fails to realize no one cares*

ya got heart kid

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yinlock posted:

but you see its 100% safe as long as nothing goes wrong

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

shiksa posted:

snapchat is proof that no one learns a goddamn thing from history ever, even if its from like only 20 years ago.

i mean, at least pets.com sold something
It amazes me that there are parodies of Web Bubble 2.0 that are literally a decade old at this point, and the bubble has just gone on swelling and swelling the whole time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6IQ_FOCE6I

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Yinlock posted:

it won't cost as much as having to build a new f-35 for every mission like disposable cameras though

T/L is insane, and i have no idea how much ir&d is going to unit costs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Update on KY Pence rally:

Apparently in addition to coming in flanked by fire engines with sirens on so he didn't have to see or hear protesters, Papa John donated a bunch of semis to the rally to block his view of protesters while he spoke

portraits in courage

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Apraxin posted:

It amazes me that there are parodies of Web Bubble 2.0 that are literally a decade old at this point, and the bubble has just gone on swelling and swelling the whole time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6IQ_FOCE6I

realising that a bubble exists isnt what pops it. it keeps going until the dissenters give up and buy in.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Spoondick posted:

everyone is hosed anyways as wealth concentrates in fewer people and they work to revert the world to authoritarian serfdom with them in charge

Jesus Christ dude, this is the history of the world. Quit trying to be a good little Marxist and actually read a book.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

well the rub is its never happened before so no one is sure how bad it would get or how quickly; a good baseline comparison would be the last financial crisis.

during the crisis a number of financial institutions went tits up, but larger than that the value of various investment products (like mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps) came into question. companies make decisions based on a lot of things, but how much money they have available to them and what things are worth is a large part of that process for obvious reasons, and suddenly people weren't sure if they had a lot of money on their asset sheet or if they had a lot of worthless garbage; in that situation, they make the prudent individual decision of not lending out anything because they have no idea how much risk lending would put them in. this is alright if one company does it, but when they all start doing it the economy grinds to a halt because you cant get money for anything.

now imagine instead of mortgage backed securities and credit default swaps if the thing in question is US t-bills (which are wound up in basically everyones investments because theyre currently viewed as the safest investment known to man) and US dollars. oh and the US government cant bail themselves out like they could by flooding the financial markets with money to buy up the bad stuff either. people make a run on banks for their money, then they make a run on stores to hoard supplies because theyre afraid the dollar will be worthless but food and water and gas will hold value by their nature; gas and necessity prices spike, shortages spark violence in the US, martial law is ordered in places where it gets bad enough to cause significant civil unrest, and we see the next 10 years if we're lucky become a dead decade. it also probably drags down the world economy too because other nations invest in the US too.

maybe we also wind up with a charismatic fascist for leader out of it too, but we may have the order hosed up on that one given our current president. :shrug:

anyway, thats one possible outcome.maybe we'd get lucky and everyone would be cool about it. :smithicide:

ok but what if trump pretends everything is fine really hard

im mostly looking at the uk, it's currency is basically kept alive by unicorn farts right now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

punchymcpunch posted:

realising that a bubble exists isnt what pops it. it keeps going until the dissenters give up and buy in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFixTdVysQk

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

*Doesn't even campaign in rust belt states she lost to Bernie*
*Spends campaign money on running ads in the LA market*

when people said yaas slay kween they didn't mean immanentize the eschaton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008