Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I cannot believe the in-game completion counter weights Koroks the same as shrines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Just something about birds.

The advice of "Sneak up, THEN Photos!" has gotten me a lot more pictures of squirrels and free floating bugs and such.

But birds? Particularly smaller ones that the camera hates counting as me looking at them even when zoomed in at max? welp.

I can sneak up on those glowing blue critters, to smack them around with my sword for free money, wearing whatever I want. But taking photos of some tiny bluebirds continues to elude me for now :saddowns:

So while I do intend to eventually get the Shiekah clothes (Oooh, a Jewlery shop! take all my valuables!), the concept of "Just use the Stealth clothes" so I can photograph birds, feels even more silly given I can sneak up on legendary whimsical creatures that poo poo money wearing basically anything.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can reach that shrine from the same clifftop you used to reach Eventide.

I know, thank you. It's just the guardian in there is fuckin' tough. :negative:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Please tell me I'm not the only who is trying to make every compendium photo double as a stupid selfie of Link

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone else find this games Zelda to be the best incarnation if Zelda to date? It's between her and Tetra, with her edging Tetra out in my book.

Also I'm tired of hearing Wendee Lee tell me Urbosa fury is ready, get out of my everything Wendee.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Internet Kraken posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only who is trying to make every compendium photo double as a stupid selfie of Link

No, but I should have been doing the same.

How are people figuring out what shrines they have left to complete? There's so goddamn many of them and working through a list to find which ones you have and have not done sounds like a chore.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Anyone else find this games Zelda to be the best incarnation if Zelda to date? It's between her and Tetra, with her edging Tetra out in my book.

Also I'm tired of hearing Wendee Lee tell me Urbosa fury is ready, get out of my everything Wendee.

She's hit or miss. While her voice acting in the memories is fine, I can tell that the game is seriously hampered by trying to match the lip sync. Also blood moon, non-memory lines, etc. all kinda suck, the game's voice acting is a little off in general. They either need to go full ham on it and execute it stunningly, or ditch it altogether.

That said, Zelda's character itself is great, and she might be the most interesting incarnation of her namesake so far.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 12, 2017

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yeah because Tetra becomes super boring halfway through wind waker, so she doesn't get a chance to be better

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Personally, my high bars were Skyward Sword Zelda and Ghost Zelda from Spirit Tracks. BOTW Zelda is deffo up there though and she's probably the best actual character of any of them.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Sidon this, Sidon that. I say, where are all the Revali fans huh

Revali is pretty bae but he's not as gigglesquee as Sidon or Kass. In the bae stakes it goes 1. Sidon, 2. Kass, 3. Revali

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I feel like there's two types of weather in this game: rain and thunderstorm

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like there's two types of weather in this game: rain and thunderstorm

both always happen when youre on a mountain wall

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I swear it always rains in the Akkala region. Once I had it start raining right when I was about to scale a cliff with my last bit of stamina. 5 seconds after I fell down to the ground, the rain stopped :geno:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I swear it always rains in the Akkala region. Once I had it start raining right when I was about to scale a cliff with my last bit of stamina. 5 seconds after I fell down to the ground, the rain stopped :geno:

Knowing Akkala, it probably started raining again after another 5 seconds though. :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does the painter dude show up anywhere to give a hint for the bottom right album picture, the one in a forest? I can't find him.

He seems to appear at every single stable. So assuming there at least 12 stables in the game I'm gonna say yes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Climbed Mt. Lanayru on a lark and boy, that sure went places.

The prize is a little underwhelming given the buildup, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oxxidation posted:

Climbed Mt. Lanayru on a lark and boy, that sure went places.

The prize is a little underwhelming given the buildup, though.

This is kind of the case with the entire game. There's lots of really awesome buildup throughout the game with the crazy poo poo you do, but since it almost always results in finding a shrine, it kinda becomes a little disappointing that you aren't finding something a little more special, and just becomes checking stuff off a list.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A lot of the rewards are "Aw yeah, it's that thing I wanted real bad and found two days ago." It's probably hard to balance. You might find the shrine early on, so you can't have some 40 damage sword in there, but you also might find this hidden shrine late in your play through so it can't be 5 rupees either.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

C-SPAN Caller posted:

You know after beating Ganon I thought I wouldn't enjoy playing anymore but unlike OOT there's so much poo poo to do, the 18% completion rate just made me want to play even more.

Also the Twilight bow is legit fun to use, glad I save scum med my Zelda amiibo for it.

How do you see a completion rate?

I also wish this game had a time played counter, I'm curious just how much time I'm gonna get out of it, without having to use the console's parental controls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One one hand I agree, but on the other I can't really think of what else they would give you that felt better. Special one-per-playthrough weapons perhaps? More armor sets? Lore?

Sometimes I find this incredibly well hidden secret and it's like "holy poo poo what's this" and it turns out to be a Korok... but I'm only disappointed for like 1 second before I hear the "Yahaha!" and then I can't help but smile anyway :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lore would be pretty nice, actually, but not as a quest reward. I've noticed that it doesn't really do the whole "pick up lore and books" stuff as much as lots of open world games like TES or Witcher do, and I would go nuts for a Zelda version of that. It feels like it was very light on lore in general.

As for rewards, the fun and rewarding...uh, rewards tend to be stuff like the house and Tarry Town. Stuff like that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The more significant shrines should have awarded 4 Spirit Orbs instead of 1, just to make them stand out a bit without unbalancing things much. That would be enough to make me feel like I did something more significant than just stumbling into another random shrine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It'd be cool if the Old Man showed up after the tutorial in obscure places to tell you more of the history of the world. Or just give you random bits of advice. It was pretty fun in the tutorial when he just kept popping up everywhere, and I do miss that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For me, the shrines themselves are the reward. Aside from the combat and blessing shrines, all the puzzles have been pretty fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So if you cook a recipe, cook a Fairy with it and you'll get Blessed food and it'll heal a ton more. Awesome.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Lore would be pretty nice, actually, but not as a quest reward. I've noticed that it doesn't really do the whole "pick up lore and books" stuff as much as lots of open world games like TES or Witcher do, and I would go nuts for a Zelda version of that. It feels like it was very light on lore in general.

I'm a huge sucker for ~lore~ which is why I put it in that list :v: I loved what there was of it in this game (like the memories and stuff, environmental storytelling, etc.) but I would definitely go nuts for more lore.

I've talked about how I want this game to have a bunch of DLC and stuff, and that's one way they could expand this game to be even more amazing. More worldbuilding! More legends, dramas and details!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

So if you cook a recipe, cook a Fairy with it and you'll get Blessed food and it'll heal a ton more. Awesome.

Yeah but meat + a radish gets me full hearts plus extra hearts.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Spergatory posted:

Ishto Soh Shrine - Bravery's Grasp: So I solved this by placing two bombs on opposite corners of the crystal switch, getting as far up into the staircase as that would get me, and then using octo balloons to get more bombs over the wall to keep blasting the switch. I knew in my heart of hearts that was not the intended solution but I didn't care. I beat it. So I decided to look up what the intended solution was. YOU CAN loving PICK UP THE LASER, ARE YOU SERIOUS, WHAT THE HELL. :doh:

yeah i did this last night and didn't even consider trying to do it the intended way. i stood on a torch at the top of the stairs and that gave me enough height to throw a bomb over the fence

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

s.i.r.e. posted:

You monster

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Internet Kraken posted:

Nailed it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This game's Zelda is definitely the best Zelda, and while Link gets a bit more subtle characterization in this game through his dialogue options, she's basically the main character in that she's the only person with an arc.

I haven't fought Calamity Ganon yet, but based on seeing all the memories, it feels like the reason she failed is less because of lack of faith, and more because she spends all her time praying for power instead of just using it based on her own feelings. It's her power, not some god's, and it starts to work for her when she gets into the mix for her own reasons and not just asking Hylia or whoever to make it work.

I feel like the voice acting isn't bad so much as everybody is struggling to maintain the Generic Fantasy Sort of British Accent and it's really hard to use a fake accent and still have human-sounding speech patterns, because no actual human talks like that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

so are bomb and stasis the only things that you can upgrade?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sea Sponge Run posted:

so are bomb and stasis the only things that you can upgrade?

Yeah.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I spent way longer on ishto soh shrine that I care to admit

one with the moving platform and laser

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

do we want to know how Kilton makes those monster masks of his?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soul Glo posted:

How do you see a completion rate?

Beat the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spergatory posted:

Ishto Soh Shrine - Bravery's Grasp: So I solved this by placing two bombs on opposite corners of the crystal switch, getting as far up into the staircase as that would get me, and then using octo balloons to get more bombs over the wall to keep blasting the switch. I knew in my heart of hearts that was not the intended solution but I didn't care. I beat it. So I decided to look up what the intended solution was. YOU CAN loving PICK UP THE LASER, ARE YOU SERIOUS, WHAT THE HELL. :doh:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Lmao I just randomly posted about ishto shrine I had no idea you guys were expressing frustration too haha

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I just sort of explore more for the fun than the reward itself. Also the Thunder helm from the Gerudo sidequests is just so much better than forcefully upgrading a fish gimp suit for lightning resistance, goddamn. Now I laugh at them, and run at enemies when I'm about to be struck. Now where is my rain resistance other than hit wood with my fire sword under something to wait it out?

Also why did Urbosa have the helm? I thought she's just a champion not a chief in the divine beast cutscene.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Goron City is home to the great artist, Rohan!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna get into romhacking and I'm gonna make an undub that replaces all the English voices with

soundfiles from the CD-i games :shopkeeper: