Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you want to talk about graphical styles that don't work, just look at this monstrosity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrUR1kiPF8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Please send help I can't stop playing Spelunky

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Please send help I can't stop playing Spelunky

You sound perfectly healthy to me :confused:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

You sound perfectly healthy to me :confused:

I keep dying in the jungle :saddowns:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I keep dying in the jungle :saddowns:

You can beat it. I believe in you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I played Spelunky every day for three months and I could never beat the fourth world

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Find a kali altar in a place with lots and lots of cavemen.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The spelunky secret: kill shopkeepers/sacrifice damsels/start from the beginning instead of using the shortcuts

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

You can beat it. I believe in you.

Thanks! With practice I am getting better at not dying when a frog looks at me funny.

Help Im Alive posted:

The spelunky secret: kill shopkeepers/sacrifice damsels/start from the beginning instead of using the shortcuts

I've managed to kill a shopkeeper precisely once so far, so... again, practice will make perfect. .... I also didn't know you could sacrifice damsels, so, uh, I guess I'll try that?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you'll know when and where you can sacrifice them

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The teleporter is the worst item I've picked up in this game by far :mad:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished Breath of the Wild. That was a wild ride. I'd still say I like Majora's Mask a little more as a package and Wind Waker comes in right behind BotW, but that's more speaking to how incredible those two games are than taking anything away from Breath.

Major complaint would be that it lacks interesting characters. A few are standouts (Sidon) but overall the story and characters didn't hold up to something like Wind Waker.

It's a massively impressive game though, and really redefines what an open world game can be.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Can we extrapolate the quality of Mass Effect Andromeda from its launch trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6PJEmEHIaY

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Seems like a movie worth watching

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can we extrapolate the quality of Mass Effect Andromeda from its launch trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6PJEmEHIaY

It's kinda hard to buy into the emotional thrust of the game ("fight for a new home!" "Save the humans!" "Find a new golden world!") when it's entirely their fault they are in that galaxy in the first place. 'We tried to colonise a galaxy and things went wrong' is more of a farce than a drama.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is that show good?

my wife likes it. its watchable except when they sing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

every mass effect game moved futher away form what i wanted from a bioware scifi thing. i'm gonna try to give this one an honest shot but i've not liked anything that studio has done in a long time now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I finally made it to the Ice Caves in Spelunky!

...and found out what the yetis do. By being flung into a row of mines. :rip:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Real hurthling! posted:

every mass effect game moved futher away form what i wanted from a bioware scifi thing. i'm gonna try to give this one an honest shot but i've not liked anything that studio has done in a long time now.

What do you want from a bioware sci fi thing? ME:A seems to be closer to the tone of ME1 than the other two games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Red Bones posted:

What do you want from a bioware sci fi thing? ME:A seems to be closer to the tone of ME1 than the other two games.

A finished kotor game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Star Wars isn't sci fi

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Star Wars isn't sci fi

Star wars is in fact sci fi

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andrast posted:

Star wars is in fact sci fi

It's fantasy with a sci-fi backdrop

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Almost nothing is sci-fi if the metric is that it needs to be based on real science.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's fantasy with a sci-fi backdrop

Also known as sci-fi

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Almost nothing is sci-fi if the metric is that it needs to be based on real science.

It's less that it needs to be directly grounded in scientific findings, and more that it needs to be plausible. Lightsabers just don't make any goddamned sense, let alone the force, and it really works more as a fantasy story told with starships instead of boats.

...So, soft sci-fi.

Andrast posted:

Also known as sci-fi

Soft sci-fi.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Soft sci-fi.

which is a subgenre of sci-fi

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's less that it needs to be directly grounded in scientific findings, and more that it needs to be plausible. Lightsabers just don't make any goddamned sense, let alone the force, and it really works more as a fantasy story told with starships instead of boats.

...So, soft sci-fi.

Soft sci-fi.

Teleportation doesn't make any goddamn sense either, and faster than light travel will never be possible, so that eliminates pretty much all popular sci-fi.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Knights who cast magic face off against an evil empire, but it has spaceships and aliens instead of horses and elves

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This is the dumbest argument I've ever been involved with on the internet. :allears:

Andrast posted:

which is a subgenre of sci-fi

Technically true!

...Speaking of, I wish more games were set in space/were sci-fi, because it's just so much more interesting than "here's more forests and fields for you to tramp around in, complete with swords and sorcery" and I know fantasy can be well done, but it's just the most boring stock setting you can get these days.

I say, fully aware that sci-fi games usually consist of endless gray corridors. :sigh:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is the dumbest argument I've ever been involved with on the internet. :allears:
Technically true!

...Speaking of, I wish more games were set in space/were sci-fi, because it's just so much more interesting than "here's more forests and fields for you to tramp around in, complete with swords and sorcery" and I know fantasy can be well done, but it's just the most boring stock setting you can get these days.

I say, fully aware that sci-fi games usually consist of endless gray corridors. :sigh:

There are tons of interesting fantasy settings out there and you can do a lot with the genre but games generally go with the most boring stuff imaginable

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'd rather play a game set in a vanilla Tolkien setting than a game set in a Tolkien setting but elves have antenna and green skin and dwarves are called Bompkos there's like 2 or 3 original races.

Obviously something genuinely original is best.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I think the rule is that it's sci-fi if they try to explain it? So Mass Effect is a lot closer to sci-fi because all the technology is justified by the fictional mass effect zero gravity science, whereas Star Wars never (until the whole midichlorians thing) tries to explain how anything within the story works, because that isn't the focus. The focus is on this hero's journey, fantastic adventure, saving the universe.

I think it becomes more difficult to quantify when it comes down to games, though, because imo the core idea behind sci-fi is "how would humans respond to [new scientific discovery]". Like, that's the thing that underpins all science fiction; how would humans respond to sentient robots; how would humans respond to time travel; etc. And different quests and stories within Mass Effect touch on those ideas, and some of the stories don't. Like the main plot is always "save the galaxy", but within that you often go on asides to cover AI sentience, or the ethics of cloning or stuff like that. I think that qualifies Mass Effect as sci-fi, at least sometimes. Genres are just artificial categories anyway, nothing is ever going to fit perfectly into them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Technically true!

the badass star ocean setting of "technically this takes place in a science fiction world with space travel and laser guns but, we're not going to give you any of those and also you're on a planet with fantasy forests"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Teleportation doesn't make any goddamn sense either, and faster than light travel will never be possible, so that eliminates pretty much all popular sci-fi.

Teleportation is actually mathematically possible, and while faster than light travel is impossible given our current knowledge and relativity, many mathematicians and physicists hold out hope that there could be a method to do it beyond our current understanding of how the universe works so "will never be possible" is short-sighted in my opinion. We'll blow ourselves up before we ever figure it out though, if it's even possible.

In any case, a lot of genre fiction that is hard sci-fi actually sticks to rules like these. In movies and video games, I'm pretty sure the Alien universe actually tries to stick as closely to known science as possible though we still have no method of implementing suspended animation.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 12, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I'd rather play a game set in a vanilla Tolkien setting than a game set in a Tolkien setting but elves have antenna and green skin and dwarves are called Bompkos there's like 2 or 3 original races.

Obviously something genuinely original is best.

I love how much you could post this exact same thing in Traditional Games and it would make just as much sense.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just set everything in the real world. Real history is cool.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There aren't enough RPGs and stuff set in contemporary settings imo, especially if you discount jrpgs set in schools or with one as a regular location

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^Also I wholeheartedly agree with this and have fond memories of playing Parasite Eve.

Jay Rust posted:

This is actually something that depresses me about the Assassin's Creed series in that it's one of the only major video game franchises to even pay lip service to some cool periods in history that would make great settings for games, but they spoil it by using them to make Assassin's Creed games instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Shadow hearts was cool

• Locked thread