Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

shut up blegum posted:

I threw a coin in the fountain at the start of the Paris mission because I thought it'd be pretty funny, and I unlocked a challenge. This game :allears:

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also have a helpful tip. If you want to expose electrical wires in a puddle, make sure you aren't standing in that puddle when doing so. Ask me how I know :downsgun:

you can shoot them. no standing required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

A Difficult A-sign-ment (Marrakesh): 1-06-2997112-02
Kill four sign-carrying protesters in full view of a dozen soldiers and a crowd of non-NPCs. I am 100% certain Silent Assassin is possible, though it might be a little random and I haven't managed it yet. Be very careful if you try to snipe.

shut up blegum posted:

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also have a helpful tip. If you want to expose electrical wires in a puddle, make sure you aren't standing in that puddle when doing so. Ask me how I know :downsgun:
Hey speaking of that, did you know the sparks that come out of a door hacked with the electronic bypass scramblers will detonate a leaking propane tank? :byoscience:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nakar posted:

A Difficult A-sign-ment (Marrakesh): 1-06-2997112-02
Kill four sign-carrying protesters in full view of a dozen soldiers and a crowd of non-NPCs. I am 100% certain Silent Assassin is possible, though it might be a little random and I haven't managed it yet. Be very careful if you try to snipe.

drat, I was going to make that one! It's weird that target #3 has a unique outfit.

Nakar posted:

Hey speaking of that, did you know the sparks that come out of a door hacked with the electronic bypass scramblers will detonate a leaking propane tank? :byoscience:

That's...devious.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Nakar posted:

jesus christ

do the sparks come out constantly or just when you hack it the first time?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

where the red fern gropes posted:

jesus christ

do the sparks come out constantly or just when you hack it the first time?
Only the first time. Imagine you're carrying a leaking tank and you swipe the lock.

The tank will drop out of your hands.

Then the lock sparks.

:smith:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I'm just on to Italy now, I'm enjoying the game but it gets a bit tedious for me trying to figure stuff out on my own. A lot of wandering around and waiting around. I think i'll use the tips and markers from now on because the time consuming aspect outweighs the thrill of discovery a bit. Maybe for the remaining levels i'll do the first run through blind then get the hints for all the different things you can do. How did everyone else play it?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm just on to Italy now, I'm enjoying the game but it gets a bit tedious for me trying to figure stuff out on my own. A lot of wandering around and waiting around. I think i'll use the tips and markers from now on because the time consuming aspect outweighs the thrill of discovery a bit. Maybe for the remaining levels i'll do the first run through blind then get the hints for all the different things you can do. How did everyone else play it?

If you're uncomfortable or overwhelmed by figuring out everything manually, the opportunities system is there to act as kind of a tutorial for the map, guiding you through the major arteries. Most folks around here keep opportunity information to the minimal setting, since it tells you what to do without completely hand-holding you all the way through it.

I always felt an initial anxiety over the size and scope of a new map, a feeling that I would never figure things out. But you get over that through a combination going through the opportunities, trying to complete the challenges, and overall exploration and experimentation within and outside of the story missions.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Wandle Cax posted:

Maybe for the remaining levels i'll do the first run through blind then get the hints for all the different things you can do. How did everyone else play it?
That's exactly how I roll, first time in a level is magic imo.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Oh wow, Sapienza is like 5 times Paris :staredog:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So I get to the lab in Italy after dealing with the 2 targets, find a computer saying the lab scientist with the access thing went to church, okay cool i'll go find them in the church, having a good ol time here, walk all the way to the church but no sign of any scientist. I guess they go there earlier in the mission? Before I could possibly have found the note to go there. Well...thanks for wasting my time game I guess. A clue which is entirely useless by the time you find it. There certainly are some questionable design choices here.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Wandle Cax posted:

So I get to the lab in Italy after dealing with the 2 targets, find a computer saying the lab scientist with the access thing went to church, okay cool i'll go find them in the church, having a good ol time here, walk all the way to the church but no sign of any scientist. I guess they go there earlier in the mission? Before I could possibly have found the note to go there. Well...thanks for wasting my time game I guess. A clue which is entirely useless by the time you find it. There certainly are some questionable design choices here.

Pretty sure that scientist stays put, but they aren't in the main church building. I don't remember what the clue you read says. That said, there's at least three other ways to accomplish what you need her access thing for anyway.

Replaying missions multiple times is one of the cornerstones of Hitman's design, you aren't supposed to know everything on your first playthrough.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Nakar posted:

Only the first time. Imagine you're carrying a leaking tank and you swipe the lock.

The tank will drop out of your hands.

Then the lock sparks.

:smith:

I wonder if the sparks from a disabled security camera station will do the same thing?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

John Charity Spring posted:

I wonder if the sparks from a disabled security camera station will do the same thing?
I just tested this by throwing a ruptured propane tank at the recorder in Paris - the impact from the tank broke the recorder and then the tank exploded from the spark that caused. :v:

Edit: I can also confirm that sparks from shot cameras will ignite things, but only if they're close enough to the camera itself - the visual effect will show the sparks falling to the floor but the actual ignition radius is much smaller.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 12, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Gaah, I have had different buggy detection behaviors from basically every single roadie in the cake room. I've consistently had all sorts of aggravating detection issues with idle roadies during my entire time with Bangkok- it's one of several major reasons it's my least favorite map by a mile. Once I calm down I'll try the whole tower/recording room route, but that requires passing through a room full of roadies, too...

edit: It's like a freaking maze of bad detection up in there. I hate Bangkok, but it's all I have left to 100% Pro mode...I have no idea how anyone is supposed to legitimately get SOSA there.

edit 2: I have my save in the cake room, now, but man...rubbing my face in this dysfunctional design is not fun. I feel like I can clear it only by cheating/bugginess, which is crappy compared with all the rest of my Hitman experience.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 13, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Pretty sure that scientist stays put, but they aren't in the main church building. I don't remember what the clue you read says. That said, there's at least three other ways to accomplish what you need her access thing for anyway.

Replaying missions multiple times is one of the cornerstones of Hitman's design, you aren't supposed to know everything on your first playthrough.

How are you meant to know an oppurtunity will only be useful next time you play it. You get to the lab, read a note saying the technician GONE TO CHURCH so you go to the church but she is not there or anywhere nearby. No sign of her or nothing. So a total waste of time looking around for nothing. Totally unsatisfying. She had already been and returned to the lab by the time you could reasonably expect to reach the lab. Well you can to the church earlier next time. Fantastic. Poor design is all that is. I understand opportunities can be missed and all that but the game shouldn't mislead like that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you discover an Opportunity and go to the details it'll say whether it has passed. Depending on your HUD options it'll also say "opportunity updated" or "missed" up in the top-left corner as events play out or certain characters die.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lobok posted:

If you discover an Opportunity and go to the details it'll say whether it has passed. Depending on your HUD options it'll also say "opportunity updated" or "missed" up in the top-left corner as events play out or certain characters die.

In this case it seemed it was just "intel" and oppurtunity discovered did not come up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mm, you're right. Yeah the Opportunity would only come up if you heard the technician's confession at the "beginning" of the level. Also, why can we hear someone's confession? That church needs to revisit its privacy policies.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

After all my whinging (it's not a well-made level), I have SOSA Pro Bangkok done, and a bit more of Pro besides. I have a useful tip that drastically simplifies taking out Cross, too. When Cross is right near the door to the recording booth, he's actually the closest NPC to the bathroom door- meaning he will go to investigate coins rather than the nearby techs.

Lobok posted:

Mm, you're right. Yeah the Opportunity would only come up if you heard the technician's confession at the "beginning" of the level. Also, why can we hear someone's confession? That church needs to revisit its privacy policies.

Clone superhearing.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 13, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of Opportunities, are they timed, triggered by something 47 does, or what? In Paris, the model thing seems timed, but lady blogger will patiently wait until 47 gets within earshot to make the call.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of Opportunities, are they timed, triggered by something 47 does, or what? In Paris, the model thing seems timed, but lady blogger will patiently wait until 47 gets within earshot to make the call.

It's a mix of both, usually depending on what the involved NPCs are involved with afterwards. Helmut has a schedule he sticks to, so he'll eventually end up on the catwalk and go meet with Dalia. There's some leeway, though, where the photoshoot in front of the helicopter will wait for a bit for you to walk by. Blogger lady is hosed without the camera lens, so she just stands in that room calling people and has nothing else to do, giving you unlimited time to pick up the opportunity.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Some things are proximity-triggered, some things require specific actions. The two mechanics have a schedule loop they'll do in The Final Test, but if you never get close to them to trigger the conversation about the jet they'll never move from in front of the building. The hacker talking to the guard near the recorder in Colorado will never move until their conversation finishes and it never starts unless you get close. Sal Falcone will never meet with Francesca De Santis unless you wake him up. Abiatti will never go to the graveyard for his meeting unless you make him. Ken Morgan won't go up to his suite until you lead him there. The exceptions are rare but there are a number of them in the first few levels. The fashion show in Paris eventually ends, and waiting too long for that will ensure you miss the Helmut Kruger and Showstopper opportunities (Novikov can only go onstage once, and after the show ends he won't go back). The guard in Marrakesh who delivers the keycard from the shoe shop to the consulate garage will eventually move on his own (he waits for you to trigger but he'll definitely go eventually, at least if you enter the consulate yourself). I'm not sure if Mendola ever meets Kong on his own, but he does attempt to talk to the fortune teller.

Generally speaking if you miss an opportunity one of three things happened: You triggered some event that leads up to the opportunity and then didn't follow up on it, or you killed a target already, or you got rid of an essential NPC for the event. I've never tried it, but you may not be able to do the point man opportunity in Colorado if other members of the training exercise are incapacitated, and you definitely can't do it if Maya Parvati is already dead (you can however do it if Sean Rose is dead).

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

A practical SA/SO in Bangkok Pro, without having to disable the camera station in the security room. With running commentary!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5VeCB5-kyM

I appreciate how Pro mode forces me to consider alternate routes that wouldn't be as easy to do in Normal difficulty. There were some clever tricks added to this mission, like the two recording crew guys both coming to investigate a distraction. I could do without the overguarded exits, though.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Is there a briefcase sniper rifle in this game? It's kinda hard to go unnoticed while you're carrying a sniper rifle on your back.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

shut up blegum posted:

Is there a briefcase sniper rifle in this game? It's kinda hard to go unnoticed while you're carrying a sniper rifle on your back.

Not as of the end of Season 1. It might be an unlock for Season 2 though!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

shut up blegum posted:

Nope. If you want to walk around with a sniper rifle you'll need an appropriate disguise or stay out of sight.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

shut up blegum posted:

Supposedly there's an engine issue with 47 holding things in his left hand. As such, there's no concealed-carry sniper rifle right now. That said, most guards can carry large weapons without issue. "Oh no! Our boss was sniped from a great distance! Surely it can't be the ONE GUARD nobody recognizes with a sniper rifle slung across his back!"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

On pro mode, though, wearing a guard uniform won't save you from suspicion, which is interesting but also underlines the need for a briefcase...

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Thanks for the quick answers everyone, and especially lol at this part:

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Supposedly there's an engine issue with 47 holding things in his left hand.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Briefcase sniper rifle might also never happen for balance reasons- it would break a lot of the game if we could carry a sniper rifle anywhere. A leak awhile back had a bunch of gum items that will likely never make it into the game because they trivialize everything.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I don't really give a crap about any new weapons, but I'd love a leatherman type item you could bring that functions as a combination lockpick/screwdriver/wrench. Maybe give it a longer lockpick time to compensate or something?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'd argue that the game isn't balanced as it is, some challenges are clearly easier and more efficient than others, and it doesn't matter.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

I'd argue that the game isn't balanced as it is, some challenges are clearly easier and more efficient than others, and it doesn't matter.

The challenges aren't supposed to be balanced, but the inventory items and maps are. The game had a sniper rifle that could penetrate objects for a time, but players were just sniping targets from across the map, through three floors. It ruins the scoreboards, and causes people to not want to use any other tools the game provides. There's still an ongoing fire extinguisher problem, though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm personally okay with overpowered items, it's a single-player game. But I do understand that lots of people play for the leaderboards, or otherwise cannot justify using anything but the most optimal route and most effective loadout. I... just really want a sniper briefcase, they're really cool :(

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I really doubt that a briefcase sniper would do anything to trouble the leaderboards, it's very difficult to find a sniper route that doesn't have bodies found.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

You'd need to bring back wallbangs for the case to matter for that

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Pilchenstein posted:

I really doubt that a briefcase sniper would do anything to trouble the leaderboards, it's very difficult to find a sniper route that doesn't have bodies found.

Just wait til they get to the end of Season 4, have clearly given up on ever finding a gently caress to give again, and we get a NanoSniper, that automatically dissolves bodies three seconds after the bullet enters their brain-pan.

The Pro model of NanoSniper 2001 will lightly play an organ-grinder version of Ride of the Valkyries.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Wizard of the Deep posted:

NanoSniper, that automatically dissolves bodies three seconds after the bullet enters their brain-pan.

You'll shoot CyberHelmut through three metres of solid steel, vaporising his body and causing your arch-nemesis Agent 4700 to choke to death on his fumes while you pull your collapsible hover-car from the suitcase to make a quick escape... and the guy above you on the leaderboard will still have just used a fire extinguisher.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Brofessor Slayton posted:

You'll shoot CyberHelmut through three metres of solid steel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqvCqk5WDrQ&t=14s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Hitman Season 4 unlockable will be the DNA-specific virus from Sapienza, which will be able to kill any target simply by locating them on a map