Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Thank you! I love Simonson's work on Thor, didn't know he had a great run with the FF.

Serious question: has a Simonson had a bad run on anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Jerry Cotton posted:

No. Go read Raganrok because it's great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm afraid so - it was his brief Avengers run in the late 1980s.

Definitely not up to his usual standard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm afraid so - it was his brief Avengers run in the late 1980s.

Definitely not up to his usual standard.

Was that the one where Sandman joined? Or the one before?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think that might have been either Bob Harras or the very short Larry Hama run (which also introduced Rage) in between them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know people think Bill Jemas is the shits, but is Wolverine: Origin actually good? I know it's considered somewhat important in terms of Logan's story.

Also, how is the Old Man Logan series Lemire is writing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean, it's all right. Once you get past the excitement of FINALLY REVEALING WOLVERINE'S TRUE ORIGINS FOR REAL AFTER DECADES OF WONDERING!!!! it's just a depressing violent story about a kid with a poo poo childhood.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, how is the Old Man Logan series Lemire is writing?

It fell into a rut a little ways into its run--The Last Ronin arc crammed about two issues worth of story into five--but the past couple arcs, starting with #14, have been pretty drat great. Sorrentino's art is gorgeous even when the stories leave something to be desired.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sorrentino's art is definitely the reason you'd follow that book, not the story

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Any X-men gems post Claremont and pre Morrison? I know those are largely thought of as mostly terrible, in that decade or so of comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm an unabashed fan of Generation X, at least while Lobdell (I know) is writing.

Age of Apocalypse is at least worth a read.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

If there's anything I hate about X-men it's alternate pasts/presents/futures but that one was pretty well realized and I enjoyed it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

I'm an unabashed fan of Generation X, at least while Lobdell (I know) is writing.

Lobdell part of AOA is fucken brutal and one of the best things he ever wrote. His X-men run is not terrible, but got sidelined by crossovers which is a huge problem of 90s X-men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Lobdell part of AOA is fucken brutal and one of the best things he ever wrote. His X-men run is not terrible, but got sidelined by crossovers which is a huge problem of 90sall X-men since they started shipping 2 titles in the same month X-men.

ftfy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They only started doing that in the 90s so :confused:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Getting started on Violent Love. Does it stay good or should I cut and run after only spending $1.99?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

They only started doing that in the 90s so :confused:

Nah it started when Claremont was writing both Uncanny and New Mutants, and then there'd be random mini's where the character then moves to Uncanny, like Longshot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Nah it started when Claremont was writing both Uncanny and New Mutants, and then there'd be random mini's where the character then moves to Uncanny, like Longshot.

Yeah but the Claremont crossovers were assume like mutant massacre and fall of the mutants

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So I just bought Volume 3 of Bendis' Avengers, I guess that's series 4? It collects issues 18-24, yet Volume 2 stops at issue 12. Is there a collected edition of issues 13-17?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

pubic works project posted:

So I just bought Volume 3 of Bendis' Avengers, I guess that's series 4? It collects issues 18-24, yet Volume 2 stops at issue 12. Is there a collected edition of issues 13-17?

13-17 was part of Fear Itself. They're collected here: https://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Fear-Itself-Marvel-Paperback/dp/0785163492

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Never read Locke and Key, should I pick up the slip case TP or the 3 OSHC?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I need to buy my brother a birthday present and he is a fan of Gaiman and Alan Moore. He bought me Locke and Key. Is there a good trade paperback I can surprise him with? I've been out of comics since DC rebooted. :(

Edit: I figured it out!

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 31, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rand alPaul posted:

I've been out of comics since DC rebooted. :(
You're going to have to clarify this. :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Never read Locke and Key, should I pick up the slip case TP or the 3 OSHC?

Well...do you prefer TPBs or OSHCs?

(Get the OSHCs, duh.)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been pointed towards this thread. I'm looking to get a collection going I thought I'd start with the Justice League and Avengers and sticking with main continuity stories. I'm obviously not looking for every issues ever printed of either but are there a set of collections that would give a good general history of both teams? Thanks.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Has anyone managed to tell a good story with Longshot other than the original miniseries and Longshot saves the Marvel Universe?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Has anyone managed to tell a good story with Longshot other than the original miniseries and Longshot saves the Marvel Universe?

Halfway through reading that I was going to say Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe, but then I read the rest. So no, I don't think so. But this is a good excuse to tell people to read Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

He's good in Peter David's X-Factor. But he's just part of the team.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rand alPaul posted:

I need to buy my brother a birthday present and he is a fan of Gaiman and Alan Moore. He bought me Locke and Key. Is there a good trade paperback I can surprise him with? I've been out of comics since DC rebooted. :(

Edit: I figured it out!

What did you get? Cause I came up with an answer yesterday.

If you can find it, Moonshadow.

If you wanna drop some money, the Grant Morrison Animal Man run.

I've heard good things about the Swamp Thing reboot.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What are some good runs for Captain America? I've read most of the Brubaker run and loved it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

What are some good runs for Captain America? I've read most of the Brubaker run and loved it.

JM Dematteis, #261-264, 267-270, 272, 275-290, 292-300. Among other things, he basically created Baron Zemo Jr., and had one of the best Red Skull stories.

Mark Waid, #444-454, and especially (vol 3) #1-22.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schneider Heim posted:

Roger Stern (w) and John Byrne (a) from the early 1980s; pretty short run but it's got the Cap for President story and the one where he teams up with Union Jack to fight the Nazi vampire Baron Blood.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Best point in getting into the modern marvel continuity? I was thinking about just following ComicBookHearld's All-New All-Different reading order and then just keep going from there.

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/all-new-all-different-marvel/

fucks me what's going on with these female thor's and falcon is captain america but I reckon I'll easily get caught up, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

The start of the Gruenwald run as it starts strong but it goes way too long. Issues 109-111 and 193-214 and the 169 - 186

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Schneider Heim posted:

This list: http://comicsalliance.com/10-essential-captain-america-comic-book-runs/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guavatin posted:

Best point in getting into the modern marvel continuity? I was thinking about just following ComicBookHearld's All-New All-Different reading order and then just keep going from there.

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/all-new-all-different-marvel/

fucks me what's going on with these female thor's and falcon is captain america but I reckon I'll easily get caught up, right?

You should read Jason Aaron's previous Thor stuff, it ties into the current stuff and is also really awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That list can sit on it for not mentioning DeMatteis.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
Any recommendations on how to get caught up on Loki's major events? I guess I'm interested in why he's a she sometimes or he's a kid sometimes, but any awesome stories are welcome.
I have unlimited if that helps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mirror123 posted:

Any recommendations on how to get caught up on Loki's major events? I guess I'm interested in why he's a she sometimes or he's a kid sometimes, but any awesome stories are welcome.
I have unlimited if that helps.

JMS's Thor, Gillen's Journey into Mystery and Young Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

bessantj posted:

I've been pointed towards this thread. I'm looking to get a collection going I thought I'd start with the Justice League and Avengers and sticking with main continuity stories. I'm obviously not looking for every issues ever printed of either but are there a set of collections that would give a good general history of both teams? Thanks.
You've already been somewhat answered in the Q&A thread, but from an Avengers point of view the best way is probably Marvel Unlimited or maybe picking up collections/single issues on Comixology. A good starting point is the "Epic Collection" series of collections. These are colour reprints of the first volume of the series (from 1963):
https://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Epi...epic+collection

You can have a look through Comixology also, it has a lot of the original run single issues. That and Marvel Unlimited are a good way to read through old comics.