Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

The Gen 1 Game Corner is in Celadon, so you could get a Porygon before fighting Erika.

Porygon was a trick, the real treasure there was the Scyther which which was practically put there for the people who did start out with Charmander to solo the Gym.

Lord Koth posted:

...So you wonder traded them a bunch of lvl 1 stage 1(out of 3) dragons that don't evolve until 35/45. Congrats? As opposed to a goddamn fully evolved dragon that is just randomly available on the first island through S.O.S. battles at levels far below where it normally evolves at. I'm not talking about catching and using Bagon here (though that's obviously an option too; and Goomy on island 2), I'm talking about you can literally catch Salamence at those levels.

Stage 1 dragons are not very good, even with the neat typing on that one.

At the level you catch it all the recipient would have to do is level it up twice and it'd reach its final evolution. Not really that big a deal, especially with all the rare candies the game throws at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I think the backhoe is super dumb and not even in a good way.

The crab and snail are both very cute though. :3:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kay Kessler posted:

Porygon was a trick, the real treasure there was the Scyther which which was practically put there for the people who did start out with Charmander to solo the Gym.
The point I was making is that if MEGAWEAPON was in Gen 1, you could have gotten it before the fourth gym.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Bagon was perfectly serviceable in Ruby/Sapphire, the problem was that Ruby/Sapphire did weird things with evolutions like making Shelgon stupidly weak and not tanky enough to make up for it, or making Vigoroth better than its evolved form just because Slaking's ability is literal dead weight.

No idea about competetive (I'm sure it's garbage there) but for the actual games Slaking is completely ridiculous. Being able to attack only every other turn doesn't matter so much if you have the stats to oneshot most things; it's pretty much a tactical nuke you can get fairly early on.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Aerdan posted:

Well...they're all still based on human byproducts.

Porygon could date from the 70s at the earliest. I'd estimate that the Pokémon universe's tech level is a few decades ahead of our own, given that they have things like an effective universal cure for venoms and toxins, as well as devices that instantly restore Pokémon to top condition. As such, it could be argued that porygon is also blurring the lines between manmade and natural. :v:

yeah i'm sure the ability to convert any amount of matter into pure energy to store in tiny balls to be recalled at anytime is only a few decades away

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Zore posted:

Porygon isn't even the only man-made pokemon. Castform, Type:Null/Silvally,... and that doesn't even count things like Genesect which was heavily modified, or Voltorb which is literally a pokeball that spontaneously gained life.

Don't forget Mewtwo. Literally a man-made super Pokemon.

Aerdan posted:

Well...they're all still based on human byproducts.

Porygon could date from the 70s at the earliest. I'd estimate that the Pokémon universe's tech level is a few decades ahead of our own, given that they have things like an effective universal cure for venoms and toxins, as well as devices that instantly restore Pokémon to top condition. As such, it could be argued that porygon is also blurring the lines between manmade and natural. :v:

Don't forget they have awesome video phones that go, "Ring ring ring ring, phone call, phone call!" :v:
That and the ability to instantly transport objects over long distances.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lord Koth posted:

...So you wonder traded them a bunch of lvl 1 stage 1(out of 3) dragons that don't evolve until 35/45. Congrats? As opposed to a goddamn fully evolved dragon that is just randomly available on the first island through S.O.S. battles at levels far below where it normally evolves at. I'm not talking about catching and using Bagon here (though that's obviously an option too; and Goomy on island 2), I'm talking about you can literally catch Salamence at those levels.

Stage 1 dragons are not very good, even with the neat typing on that one.

Uhh, The point was to trade it out to little kids just starting the game who wanted to have the awesome dragon (because of the tautological reason that it is, in fact, a dragon) at their own pace rather than have to grind a 5% chance in a field of grass, also badge mechanics still exist and would make level 45 jangmo-o's a fairly hefty annoyance. Also most of SuMo's stage 1 mons are pretty lovely.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

KataraniSword posted:

Bagon was perfectly serviceable in Ruby/Sapphire, the problem was that Ruby/Sapphire did weird things with evolutions like making Shelgon stupidly weak and not tanky enough to make up for it, or making Vigoroth better than its evolved form just because Slaking's ability is literal dead weight.

Ha, joke's on you, Vigoroth was never any good either!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm trying to think of ways to stop MEGAWEAPON. Excadrill, maybe? Dugtrio if it can get to it before it can speed up? Then again, no idea if either of them is in the Uranium 'Dex (and Excadrill is already kind of the MEGAWEAPON of Gen V...).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

krisslanza posted:

Don't forget Mewtwo. Literally a man-made super Pokemon.

Don't forget they have awesome video phones that go, "Ring ring ring ring, phone call, phone call!" :v:
That and the ability to instantly transport objects over long distances.

Mewtwo being manmade is an anime thing. In the games Mew gives live? birth to it in South America which is all kinds of out of whack with later stuff.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zore posted:

Mewtwo being manmade is an anime thing. In the games Mew gives live? birth to it in South America which is all kinds of out of whack with later stuff.

Mew gave live birth, but only after DNA experiements to alter it. From RB's dex entry

quote:

It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments.

and then judging by the rest of the Pokemon mansion I assume they did other experiments on it post-birth.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

My last run of Moon was an entire team of pseudo legendaries all starting at level 5. Their stats aren't very good, but the exp share makes leveling them much easier and they all have some gimmicks to help out. A lot of them learn Dragon Rage early on which is great, and Larvitar can deal with the handful of Fairies you'll find at first. It was a struggle once Dragon Rage started falling off, but then they all evolved at 30 and became pretty good.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Uranium has 3 psudeo-legendary lines by the way.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
only three??

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Uranium has 3 psudeo-legendary lines by the way.

Aren't there only 200 pokemon in the dex?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zore posted:

Aren't there only 200 pokemon in the dex?

it's 200, but some of those may or may not be in the game due to just not being implemented. i think there's even an entire legendary trio (out of two sets) that isn't put in

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah i'm sure the ability to convert any amount of matter into pure energy to store in tiny balls to be recalled at anytime is only a few decades away

That's not even technology, actually, it's naturally occurring. Apricorns were the original Pokeballs, used since ancient times!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for a comparison, i think sage has like 3-4 pseudo-legendaries that are all part dragon but sage also doesn't have fairy type or megas plus it starts out in an icy area so ice pokemon aren't at a premium in the slightest

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

That's not even technology, actually, it's naturally occurring. Apricorns were the original Pokeballs, used since ancient times!

that is actually still technology, tech doesn't have to be metal bits and computers

the first wheels were just wood after all

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also it is established that you have to do something to the apricorns to catch pokemon with them, or else you would just be able to use them straight from the tree

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah you have to fit them with the miniaturization device.

Basically pokeballs used to be artisnal and singular/expensive until the pokeball company came up with its cheap mass produced designs and forced the craftsmen out of buisness :v:

Note how the apricorn balls are all better than the mass produced crap that replaced them.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
They are more specialized, but not necessarily better.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Apricorns certainly look better, and that's all I really care about.

Quick Balls are broadly the most useful though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah you have to fit them with the miniaturization device.

Basically pokeballs used to be artisnal and singular/expensive until the pokeball company came up with its cheap mass produced designs and forced the craftsmen out of buisness :v:

Note how the apricorn balls are all better than the mass produced crap that replaced them.

if ancient people in the pokemon world had access to miniaturization devices then pokemon tech is like, centuries ahead of us

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

if ancient people in the pokemon world had access to miniaturization devices then pokemon tech is like, centuries ahead of us

I'm pretty sure the pre-modern people just had their Pokemon with them. I want to say that's offhandedly mentioned in HGSS for as to why you should try and keep one of your 'mons out of its ball.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If Kurt could make Dusk Balls, then I'd use Kurt more often. But he can't. He just falls down wells and hurts his back. :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Apricorns certainly look better, and that's all I really care about.

Quick Balls are broadly the most useful though.

Dusk are the most useful my man. They're just as powerful as quick balls but on every turn.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dabir posted:

Dusk are the most useful my man. They're just as powerful as quick balls but on every turn.

Only in 4th Gen. In B/W they changed the catch rate on them. Now it's:

Dusk Ball - 3.5x in "dark" areas (caves, outdoors at nighttime), 1x otherwise (Unchanged from Gen 4)
Quick Ball - 5x when used as the opening (first-turn) move, 1x otherwise. (In Gen 4: 4x on first turn)

One could argue that the 1.5x bonus only "makes up" for the inability to hit a wild pokemon with a status/wear it down before trying to catch it, and the .5x bonus in Gen 4 certainly is that way, but numerically they're not actually quite as strong.

:goonsay:

Also, since this is Pokemon Uranium, I fully expect both Dusk and Quick Balls to be postgame-only.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

Also, since this is Pokemon Uranium, I fully expect both Dusk and Quick Balls to be postgame-only.

They aren't or I would've shot myself.

Or play the game to completion, as it were.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Quick has a decent chance of just ending any catchable encounter on the first turn, no fuss. Dusk is definitely still very useful, but mainly after that, and only in the dark.

E: I type gud

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 11, 2017

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I honestly hope so :D

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They aren't or I would've shot myself.

Or play the game to completion, as it were.

I would've just gone and made Master Balls buyable like the Rare Candies at that point.
Everyone gets to live in the most swag and plush ball.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

krisslanza posted:

I would've just gone and made Master Balls buyable like the Rare Candies at that point.
Everyone gets to live in the most swag and plush ball.

Pretty sure that's the Luxury Ball, the Master Ball's just the one with the best locks.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Bogart posted:

If Kurt could make Dusk Balls, then I'd use Kurt more often. But he can't. He just falls down wells and hurts his back. :colbert:

if you would just stop stepping on the cracks you monster

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

That's actually a bit of a grey area in the "manmade" vs "natural" argument, given how heavily Pokémon bases things off Japanese mythology. Depending on the depiction, literally anything that has existed for a long enough time can gain a spirit of its own and become a tsukumogami, and while Japan itself has been cleaning up a lot in the past 30 or 40 years, its pollution issues were bad. Like, China or metropolitan USA levels of bad. It might be depressing to think "this pile of sludge/this garbage heap has been around for over a century and has attained sentience" but I think it's honestly the underlying design decision behind them.

Koffing and Weezing too, really.

Considering that Grimers eat pollution, I'd say it's more optimistic.

The garbage was so bad it became monster. But now that people want to fix things, even the garbage monsters are ready to help. Kinda cheery.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
The new hotness is keeping normal pokemon in beastballs, waisting millions of pokedollars each.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vorpal Cat posted:

The new hotness is keeping normal pokemon in beastballs, waisting millions of pokedollars each.

Plural, since normal pokeballs are ten times more effective at catching any non-UB pokemon than Beast Balls are.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Shouldn't have made the Beastballs look like awesome wireframe pokeballs, then.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Paul.Power posted:

I'm trying to think of ways to stop MEGAWEAPON. Excadrill, maybe? Dugtrio if it can get to it before it can speed up? Then again, no idea if either of them is in the Uranium 'Dex (and Excadrill is already kind of the MEGAWEAPON of Gen V...).

Self-Destruct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tracton has really bad 4 move slot syndrome. It really wants Ice Fang for Landorus-T, Fire Fang for Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor and Drill Run for Heatran and only has one spare moveslot. And no matter what it runs it will always be walled by Hippowdon and Skarmory.

• Locked thread