Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bussamove posted:

Thirding this. Its really a series where the supporting cast shines. Elliot is the biggest, gayest treasure and I really hope there's a lot more of him in season 2.

well the thread for the show in TVIV was discussing rare styles of tying your tie knot so yeah

"Are you ... wearing my vest? ... Keep it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Have we mentioned Schitt's Creek yet? I think we have but if you like Eugene Levy/Best in Show I give it an A++.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I just read that The Life Aquatic is coming to Netflix at the end of March and I'm very excited

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Tickled on HBOGo is amazing. Don't read any description or anything. Just watch it now. You'll thank me later!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Tickled on HBOGo is amazing. Don't read any description or anything. Just watch it now. You'll thank me later!

Oh neat that docu finally came out

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

If you're not big into anime, I'd skip this. I tried it because the graphics looked neat and it got good reviews, but it is just a bunch of cliche anime with a dull story, badly drawn out dialogue and, of course, a giant breasted real-doll character that at some point has some guy yelling "drat check them tits, wow!"

I think liking Castle of Cagliostro a whole lot while that was on Netflix just gave me too much hope for anime.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Rolo posted:

If you're not big into anime, I'd skip this. I tried it because the graphics looked neat and it got good reviews, but it is just a bunch of cliche anime with a dull story, badly drawn out dialogue and, of course, a giant breasted real-doll character that at some point has some guy yelling "drat check them tits, wow!"

I think liking Castle of Cagliostro a whole lot while that was on Netflix just gave me too much hope for anime.

Yeah - I was fooled into watching this from the recommendation. It's really bad.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm constantly disappointed that Anime has so much potential to be interesting but is just so garbage overall.

I'd be all over maturely plotted animated action movies/television series but drat if it isn't all lovely cliches and tits.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I finally gave Crazy Ex Girlfriend a try and it's fantastic! Fills that Ally McBeal hole in my tv heart.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

10 cloverfield lane is on Hulu and I liked it

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

2nd season of Love is out on Netflix.

I liked the first season well enough. It's full of comedians I like, but the second season was a huge step down except for one or two episodes, and some isolated moments. I think I have a low tolerance for episode after episode of Apatow-style 'people with no chemistry apologizing at and forgiving each other' over and over.

I got that Mickey and Gus are basically opposite, so it makes sense they things are awkward; but even if it was intentional, the lack of chemistry keeps any scene from being effective. I makes me think of Parks and Recreation, and how Rashida Jones and various model-hot women just couldn't act well enough to pretend to be attracted to Aziz Ansari.

Good things are that there's more Claudia O'doherty, and episode 7 was pretty good I thought. Also, Paul Rust is a more capable actor than I would've expected.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Mar 12, 2017

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Lavender posted:

I liked the first season well enough. It's full of comedians I like, but the second season was a huge step down except for one or two episodes, and some isolated moments. I think I have a low tolerance for episode after episode of Apatow-style 'people with no chemistry apologizing at and forgiving each other' over and over.

I got that Mickey and Gus are basically opposite, so it makes sense they things are awkward; but even if it was intentional, the lack of chemistry keeps any scene from being effective. I makes me think of Parks and Recreation, and how Rashida Jones and various model-hot women just couldn't act well enough to pretend to be attracted to Aziz Ansari.

Good things are that there's more Claudia O'doherty, and episode 7 was pretty good I thought. Also, Paul Rust is a more capable actor than I would've expected.

Is there more Kyle Kinane? He was great for what little he was in the first season.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dave Grool posted:

Is there more Kyle Kinane? He was great for what little he was in the first season.

No. :(

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Boywhiz88 posted:

Going in basically blind, lmao this guy is a master at baiting people and it's hilarious how they fall for it.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I'm sure it's been discussed but we just started The OA on Netflix and we are hooked. Three episodes in and it's pretty captivating.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed but we just started The OA on Netflix and we are hooked. Three episodes in and it's pretty captivating.

I hope you're ready for a polarizing ending.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you watch Mercenary on netflix first (before the ending episode of OA), it might help you not gooning the gently caress out over the ending.

Probably not though - enjoy!

Also OA was great.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

500 good dogs posted:

I hope you're ready for a polarizing ending.

Polarizing implies that some people liked it.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Captain Lavender posted:

It really winds me up that Paul Rust has somehow engineered it so that every female character apparently wants to sleep with him. Like, chinny on you Happy Shopper Harold Ramis motherfucker

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

You poor sweet summer child...

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

flatluigi posted:

Polarizing implies that some people liked it.

I liked it, but I'm not naive enough to think it was going to diverge much from the previous works of Marling and Batmanglij.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Any thoughts on the martial arts and samurai flicks on Netflix? Here's a few that I've seen with some thoughts as an ignorant normie viewer who isn't versed in the classics. Some of these might have rotated off the catalog by now.

Ip Man 3: Highly nationalistic but that's to be expected given Ip Man 2. I really enjoy Donnie Yen's constrained acting style, and the fight scenes are fun to watch and inventive. Big bad is Mike Tyson, who is so powerful that the final fight is the protagonist simply trying to survive 3 minutes against Tyson's boxing. I'd probably recommend watching Ip Man 1 and 2 first, but it's really not necessary.

Kung Fu Killer: Martial arts/crime thriller (although that part is hardly thrilling) also starring Donnie Yen, who has some extremely good choreography in this movie. The main plot is an up-and-coming fighter taking down several different masters using their own techniques against them, so a lot of nice diversity between fights. Not much else going for it, the CGI is obvious but used sparingly. I'd recommend it just for the fights.

Hero (2004): Highly produced wuxia film. The martial arts in this movie are fairly different from other films. The actors fly and float around, the color layout clearly received a lot of attention, and the fights really look more like interpretive dancing than anything else. Visually, this movie is a work of beauty. The plot is better than the typical straight-forward Chinese film, but not really a strong point in my eyes. The "moral" of the story definitely felt a bit like nationalist propaganda, but some people I watched it with disagreed.

Kung Fury: Hilarious 30-minute short that plays on 80's martial arts and police-action movies. Miami cop is paired with his new partner Triceracop, has to time-travel to kill Kung Fuhrer.

13 Assassins: I've talked about it before, but an instant classic for me. Samurai period movie with all the requisite themes of honor and duty and such. The final hour or so is a single, mind-blowing fight scene. Netflix version doesn't have the weird out of place homophobic scene. "TOTAL MASSACRE". :thumbsup:

Ong-Bak: Probably the most famous Thai martial arts franchise. Some really funny Jackie Chan-style slapstick scenes, and some super energetic, brutal fight scenes that made me go "holy poo poo". Not a lot of reliance on wires and CGI.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Mar 14, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I watched Ong Bak so many times as a youth that I seriously wanted to take up Thai kickboxing.

Then I finally learned what that entails, looked at my soft lovely body and played some more Smash Brothers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kung Fury is really great. It's a lot of lolrandom style humor but it's well-done enough to be entertaining and short enough to not overstay its welcome.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Any thoughts on the martial arts and samurai flicks on Netflix?

The IP Man movies are good, but they do get worse as you get further through the series. There are a ton of old Jackie Chan and Jet Li movies which are hit or miss, but usually pretty good (especially Chan's older stuff). The Man from Tai Chi is good, and if you haven't seen Kung Fu Hustle you should definitely check that out. They used to have a bunch of Bruce Lee's films on there, but they can get a little meh (there really was an asiansploitation period). Chuck Norris has some okay films, but they are often 70/80's cliche as gently caress.

Edit: also, Tony Jaa's stuff is pretty good, although Ong Bak 1 & the protector 1 are my two favorite of his.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Is The Raid up on netflix? I thought I saw something saying it was. That's and the sequel are both good.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Any thoughts on the martial arts and samurai flicks on Netflix?
Read and binge through this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560732

IMO non-Jackie highlights are:
Come Drink With Me
Cripped Avengers
Five Deadly Venoms
Five Element Ninjas
Kid With The Golden Arm

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Grand Designs is a neat show about the building process of unique homes, usually with some quirky twist of architecture in Britain.

Each episode follows the family building said unique home through the process and then shows you how it ended up. Has some neat houses with interesting twists, and is worth checking out if you're into architecture and home building. It's a British show I think and I use netflix in Norway, so I'm not 100% sure if it's available on the states.

If anyone has any other recommendations for documentaries about cool architecture or snazzy home design stuff I'm all ears!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Buncha MST3K coming to Netflix on April 14th.

Catalina Caper
Eegah!
Future War
The Giant Gila Monster
Hercules Against The Moon Men
Horrors Of Spider Island
I Accuse My Parents
Jack Frost
Laserblast
Manos: The Hands Of Fate
Merlin’s Shop Of Mystical Wonders
Pod People
Puma Man
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
Sidehackers
Space Mutiny
Teenagers From Outer Space
Time Chasers
Werewolf
Zombie Nightmare

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bob's Burgers is leaving Netflix on April 1st.

:(

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

food court bailiff posted:

It might not actually be leaving; sometimes they just haven't updated that it's renewed.

But Netflix does let vast amounts of good content walk away so who know's :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Biggest loss since King of the Hill. What's coming in their place?

Quinnfectious
Mar 14, 2017

Fat Space Royalty
Has anyone watched Chewing Gum? It's available on 4OD in the UK and on US Netflix.
I would thoroughly recommend checking it out, though if you live outside the UK you might need those subtitles as they talk quite fast.
It's hilarious and gross and rude and the theme song will get stuck in your head for days.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Oldstench posted:

Catalina Caper
Eegah!
Future War
The Giant Gila Monster
Horrors Of Spider Island
I Accuse My Parents
Jack Frost
Laserblast
Pod People
Puma Man
Sidehackers
Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
Werewolf
Zombie Nightmare

poo poo yesssssss

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

forkbucket posted:

Grand Designs is a neat show about the building process of unique homes, usually with some quirky twist of architecture in Britain.

Each episode follows the family building said unique home through the process and then shows you how it ended up. Has some neat houses with interesting twists, and is worth checking out if you're into architecture and home building. It's a British show I think and I use netflix in Norway, so I'm not 100% sure if it's available on the states.

If anyone has any other recommendations for documentaries about cool architecture or snazzy home design stuff I'm all ears!

I saw this and was going to watch it since my daughter is studying architecture and I enjoy shows about design but it has some poor reviews. Guess I should watch it anyway and see for myself.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

wormil posted:

I saw this and was going to watch it since my daughter is studying architecture and I enjoy shows about design but it has some poor reviews. Guess I should watch it anyway and see for myself.

I've only seen the first 4 or 5 episodes, so I don't know if the quality tanks or not as the seasons go on, but the show has been enjoyable so far!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Oldstench posted:

Catalina Caper
Eegah!
Future War
The Giant Gila Monster
Horrors Of Spider Island
I Accuse My Parents
Jack Frost
Laserblast
Pod People
Puma Man
Sidehackers
Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
Werewolf
Zombie Nightmare

These are up now, I'm currently watching Space Mutiny. It's different than it used to be in that it's handled as a show now, so it has episodes inside of one single Netflix entry instead of 20 separate movies. This is a good thing in that certain episodes won't slip through the cracks while browsing Netflix's sometimes-dumb menu system.

April 14 is when the :siren:NEW EPISODES:siren: are released.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

This better be a terrible prank on the behalf of Fox and Netflix

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rolo posted:

These are up now, I'm currently watching Space Mutiny. It's different than it used to be in that it's handled as a show now, so it has episodes inside of one single Netflix entry instead of 20 separate movies. This is a good thing in that certain episodes won't slip through the cracks while browsing Netflix's sometimes-dumb menu system.

Ooh, thank you! And they've grouped them like a show this time, that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rolo posted:

Oh cool - must have misread. Too bad there's no Final Sacrifice.