Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Your Computer posted:

I'm gonna get into romhacking and I'm gonna make an undub that replaces all the English voices with

soundfiles from the CD-i games :shopkeeper:

This game's greatest failure is that the guy voicing the King isn't doing a CD-i impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

This game's greatest failure is that the guy voicing the King isn't doing a CD-i impression.

Link, waking up from 100 year slumber: Gee, it sure is boring around here!
The King: Mah boy! Calamity Ganon annihilated the kingdom of Hyrule 100 years ago, this is all that remains.

e: exploring and ignoring the main quest is what all true warriors strive for

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is it a good idea to buy the expansions now?
Wonder if its going to cost more at release.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
final boss spoilers: disappointed that there was no ganonball, unless there was something you could do with that big explodey golden orb he fires sometimes

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ChocNitty posted:

Is it a good idea to buy the expansions now?
Wonder if its going to cost more at release.

I doubt it and they aren't selling things individually

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'm just waiting until near release to buy the dlc.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

final boss spoilers: disappointed that there was no ganonball, unless there was something you could do with that big explodey golden orb he fires sometimes

you're supposed to reflect the lasers at him though? but I will grant that he doesn't send them back at increasingly frantic speeds

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Anyone else find this games Zelda to be the best incarnation if Zelda to date? It's between her and Tetra, with her edging Tetra out in my book.

Spirit Tracks Zelda, they will never top her

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I thought baseball was what firebane Ganon was doing in his second phase. I felt so silly that the actual method was the last possible thing I could try.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

So here's a question: where the hell does The Legend of Zelda series go from here? How do you follow up an act like this?

On the one hand, I don't think they can go back to the standard Ocarina of Time through Skyward Sword formula for 3D Zeldas. I think Nintendo probably thinks that, too, though I suppose I wouldn't know. But they also can't just repeat what they did here, because a huge part of why Breath of the Wild is so good is the joy of discovery, not just in what you can find but what you can do. They've got to do something different while not really losing that sense of adventure and scale.

From a ways back but the thread moves fast, was wondering the same thing, where do they go from here with the huge success of this game, would people be disappointed if it went back to the old formula? can they even go back to the old formula on a console now? it would be a tall order to make a sequel that kept the same sense of discovery and figuring out the different interactions in the world without feeling samey.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dragon enthusiast posted:

You reflect the with the shield with A, instead of the sword. Kinda sucked for me, cause I never learned to parry, deflect, or dodge. :downs:

Protip: get good at dodging, parrying, deflecting, and flurrying.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

When I started this game I was TERRIBLE, but I just had the most amazing fight and I feel like a boss.

I saw a tower from my vantage point, and when I glided down to it I landed near a guardian, and he immediately saw me. I breathe and decide to engage (I had only beat one before). I run towards it and THREE skeletons (the big ones none the less) pop out of the ground.

The guardian charges his laser and shoots- I parry it perfectly. Boom.

While he composes himself for more laser mayhem, I managed to swipe at the skeletons and remove their heads from their bodies in one big swipe.

At this point the guardian is about to shoot another laser -- I parry it again!

At this point the skeletons and putting their heads back on, but I strafe to the side and parry a third laser to kill that motherfucker.

I haven't gotten hit ONCE yet. So now I turn to the skeletons and kill them all.

Goddamn that felt amazing. Game of the forever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

somnambulist posted:

When I started this game I was TERRIBLE, but I just had the most amazing fight and I feel like a boss.

I saw a tower from my vantage point, and when I glided down to it I landed near a guardian, and he immediately saw me. I breathe and decide to engage (I had only beat one before). I run towards it and THREE skeletons (the big ones none the less) pop out of the ground.

The guardian charges his laser and shoots- I parry it perfectly. Boom.

While he composes himself for more laser mayhem, I managed to swipe at the skeletons and remove their heads from their bodies in one big swipe.

At this point the guardian is about to shoot another laser -- I parry it again!

At this point the skeletons and putting their heads back on, but I strafe to the side and parry a third laser to kill that motherfucker.

I haven't gotten hit ONCE yet. So now I turn to the skeletons and kill them all.

Goddamn that felt amazing. Game of the forever.

Wait, you can parry/deflect Guardian beams? And it hurts them? Goddammit why didn't I ever learn to do this :(

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My long pilgrimage of dicking around has made it to Rito village.

The music here is going to make me cry I think.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I .......thought that was the ONLY way to kill them. ._.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, you can parry/deflect Guardian beams? And it hurts them? Goddammit why didn't I ever learn to do this :(

It's the most :darksouls: thing ever. Doesn't matter what shield you use, you can even use a pot lid. The timing is tight, but you'll feel like a god once you get it.

somnambulist posted:

I .......thought that was the ONLY way to kill them. ._.

I mean, for a good portion of the game it really is :v: They take extra damage from ancient weaponry, so you have to either have that or some really strong weapons (or I guess a ton of weaker ones) if you want to chew through one without parrying.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I get the timing on parrying the guardians beam by saying "Ping-ga CHA" out loud. Parry on the cha.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress me. As much as I love this game, I suck rear end at it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hihohe posted:

I get the timing on parrying the guardians beam by saying "Ping-ga CHA" out loud. Parry on the cha.

Easier way; Get close and smash A when the eye flashes to fire.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Kawabata posted:

the stealth yiga part sucks massive loving donkey balls and the game should've gotten 0.2 less just because of it. and im a nintendo fanboy.

Ignore all the stupid advice on how to do it the proper stealthy way. I hate forced stealth sections, and there are two workarounds

First guy should be easy, just hug the pillar and stay out of sight til you can get to the stairs. Second guy guarding the door is blind, you can sneak up to him from the side (hug the wall) and stealth-kill. The BS room can be bypassed by climbing the ladder to banana land, then hopping from the opening on the wooden balcony to the stone pillar right below you (that one guy is patrolling). From there, you can jump back towards the wall onto a wooden platform, then sail over to a ladder to get you onto the rafters on the ceiling. Make your way over to the door and drop a banana a ways in front of the guard, drop down behind him and you're done, smooth sailing to the end.

I think you can also just bypass it entirely

Come in from the back entrance via the snowy mountains north of Gerudo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kassoon posted:

Ignore all the stupid advice on how to do it the proper stealthy way. I hate forced stealth sections, and there are two workarounds

First guy should be easy, just hug the pillar and stay out of sight til you can get to the stairs. Second guy guarding the door is blind, you can sneak up to him from the side (hug the wall) and stealth-kill. The BS room can be bypassed by climbing the ladder to banana land, then hopping from the opening on the wooden balcony to the stone pillar right below you (that one guy is patrolling). From there, you can jump back towards the wall onto a wooden platform, then sail over to a ladder to get you onto the rafters on the ceiling. Make your way over to the door and drop a banana a ways in front of the guard, drop down behind him and you're done, smooth sailing to the end.

Don't forget the Stasis+ rune.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Rudania's been the best dungeon so far. Its gimmick is super fast and holy poo poo is it harrowing trying to reposition yourself quickly so you don't get dunked in lava

What's the basis for the Medoh's name? Medli?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Seriously guys, just lure the yiga with the drat bananas. Its not that hard. You even get to see them do a little hoppy run because they are so excited about MORE BANANAS!

Then you stab the in the back... so sad...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, the hardest part of the Yiga section was that having to restart was so annoying that I never actually tried doing things like killing from stealth.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also something I noticed while trying to sneak around a zebra lynel: The guy spotted me and I stopped, and he was just staring at me. Neither of us moved for a good 10 seconds until I drew my weapon and then he charged.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thats not a cutscene, thats just me dicking around.
Love how cinematic the game looks. Like you're controlling your own Miyazaki film.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I find parrying on the audio cue easier and more consistent than on the visual for the eye.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Kassoon posted:

You cannot. This is how I first approached this entire area.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I heard someone mention that there was a tribe that ate nothing but bananas in the Gerudo town, thought it was a weird reference to Donkey Kong games. Putting 2+2 together with the Yiga dropping those bananas and some of the talk on this page! Can't wait to find that part because I like stealth in this game.

Sand Walruses own and I seriously love Patricia. I'll spare you all the seal pun.

Also, I see all the love for the Zora, but Gorons are way better. I'm a blood brother for the climbing crew, overcame my skinny string-pea arms and climbed the poo poo out of a mountain. Link is now officially ripped and will be spending his retirement doing deadlifts with his Goron bros.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
For the 8th Gerudo Statue quest, I hear you get info if you feed Patricia a wildberry but she just kept alternating between talking about where the great fairy fountain was and some other dumb thing I can't recall. What's the deal?
And where the hell is the tower for Gerudo Highlands? I explored the whole area, found the giant sword, but didn't find a way to map it.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I mentioned earlier in the thread that I saw this glow coming from west of Hyrule Castle and at the time I came to the conclusion that it was those falling stars but it popped up again around the same area and it is definitely not the same glow. What is it? I can't make it there before it disappears.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So I mentioned earlier in the thread that I saw this glow coming from west of Hyrule Castle and at the time I came to the conclusion that it was those falling stars but it popped up again around the same area and it is definitely not the same glow. What is it? I can't make it there before it disappears.

Satori Moutain? The Lord of the Mountain

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Definitely go check it out.

I want those clothes. Is there a way to find out in game what shrines I have not gotten, without just scouring the entire continent (country?)?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 12, 2017

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

My uncle who works at Nintendo says the DLC is going to be access to the continent to the north of the map and it will be 3x bigger than the current map, and you'll also get to go to the moon using technology from the ancients.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Kassoon posted:

Lol I just stealth killed everyone in shiekah armor with my master sword and then used a banana trail on the only one I couldn't easily do that to, my metal gearing all game paid off

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
DLC is just Rainproof Climbing Gear for $19.99.

(It sells like hotcakes.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've just unlocked the camera and the quest to pin down my memories. Anyone have any guidance on finding the locations mentioned? I'm a goddamn rubbish explorer at the best of times. Don't even know where Hyrule Castle is, actually.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I love how Classic Link's short shorts instantly make every outfit better by showing off his thighs.

On a related note, I probably shouldn't've pulled the Master Sword wearing less cloth than a Chippendale. ...unless Fi enjoys that?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There's something about those clothes that make him look even more like an overgrown child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ciaphas posted:

I've just unlocked the camera and the quest to pin down my memories. Anyone have any guidance on finding the locations mentioned? I'm a goddamn rubbish explorer at the best of times. Don't even know where Hyrule Castle is, actually.

Google.

I'd be wandering around forever trying to find them otherwise.