Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

I watched Wolverine a few weeks ago and wondered if that would play into Logan, and I didn't quite make the connection when I saw Logan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, it's also a reference to a scene in The Wolverine itself. It just neatly connects to Logan too.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

Pretty sure that's a dude that queued for the wrong Crucible

:golfclap:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Ooh I like her, I wonder if they'll paint her white though.

Given her look is far and away the most memorable thing about the character, you would presume so. Why bother otherwise.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It seems they were pursuing exclusively actresses of African descent for Domino which made me wonder, is comics Domino supposed to be of African descent as well? (It absolutely doesn't matter, I don't care about keeping comics characters whatever race they are, just that I never realized if she was supposed to be a certain ethnicity)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

It seems they were pursuing exclusively actresses of African descent for Domino which made me wonder, is comics Domino supposed to be of African descent as well? (It absolutely doesn't matter, I don't care about keeping comics characters whatever race they are, just that I never realized if she was supposed to be a certain ethnicity)

I am looking forward to all the people complaining about blackwashing and whiteface

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

I don't recall Domino ever being specified as a certain ethnicity or race.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

I am looking forward to all the people complaining about blackwashing and whiteface

I wonder if they'll go for the pale white makeup for her face. It's an interesting question that I'm sure will lead to some good faith reasonable Twitter discussion.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They could just do eye makeup?

Still says domino.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

I'm all but certain they won't be so stupid as to cast an up-and-coming black actress for a lead supporting role and then paint her face white. That would be such an astonishingly dumb move. Especially since they could still give her the darker black eye.

If they still want people writing think pieces, a black actress playing the character with the super power of "really good luck" is enough and won't generate anywhere near as much bad press.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They could just do eye makeup?

Still says domino.

Well, I mean, dominos are black with white spots, so just give her a white spot around the eye, and be done with it. Or just say gently caress it and give her whiteface, just to bait all the alt right nazis out there. Marvel's gotten pretty good at it after all.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

I'm all but certain they won't be so stupid as to cast an up-and-coming black actress for a lead supporting role and then paint her face white. That would be such an astonishingly dumb move. Especially since they could still give her the darker black eye.

I don't know which I want to see more: regular skin color and painted black oval eye or painted white face and regular skin color oval eye.

Or they could go the Deadshot route. All white mask with oversized black reticle.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

zoux posted:

Earlier in the year there were reports of white actresses on the shortlist as well like Mackenzie Davis and Sienna Miller. I think it was just an open race casting and the recent auditions had more non white actresses.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

McCloud posted:

Well, I mean, dominos are black with white spots, so just give her a white spot around the eye, and be done with it. Or just say gently caress it and give her whiteface, just to bait all the alt right nazis out there. Marvel's gotten pretty good at it after all.

Dominos come in various colors but white with black spots is what I've typically seen, particularly with nicer sets (old ones were ivory). I think the color preferences I've noticed in order have been white with black, red with white, then black with white.

And I'd prefer the full paint treatment, doesn't Domino usually look like primary color white/black? Rather than a white skinned person with a black skin zone.

Or given that it's Deadpool they should go red/blue halves with a white spot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dacap posted:

Earlier in the year there were reports of white actresses on the shortlist as well like Mackenzie Davis and Sienna Miller. I think it was just an open race casting and the recent auditions had more non white actresses.

Ah ok, I'd only heard of black actresses like Janelle Monae being considered.

Whatever happens, I think we can all agree is that the film cleave as closely to Liefeld's original vision of what he thought looked cool in a spiral notebook he used in middle school as possible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Domino is supposed to be an albino with a birthmark. It's not exactly realistic.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

zoux posted:

Ah ok, I'd only heard of black actresses like Janelle Monae being considered.

Whatever happens, I think we can all agree is that the film cleave as closely to Liefeld's original vision of what he thought looked cool in a spiral notebook he used in middle school as possible.

It really kinda bugs me that Liefeld takes acts like he's a genius for Deadpool/Cable/et al when it's really other creators who took his lovely copy of another character and gave them real character and personality. If they had just left his creations where they were when he created them, we'd have a bunch of Adam-X's. Yet he gets credit like his character wasn't a straight ripoff of Deathstroke at the time of inception.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Domino is supposed to be an albino with a birthmark. It's not exactly realistic.

Wait, for real? That's not make up or mutation or alien skin coloration? It's straight up some kind of albino/vitiligo/port wine stain/birthmark ultra combo?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/840046458032156672

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wait, for real? That's not make up or mutation or alien skin coloration? It's straight up some kind of albino/vitiligo/port wine stain/birthmark ultra combo?

She's an anthropomorphized dalmatian.

I hope it didn't awaken anything in you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

Maybe.

I've seen people say it as a fact but haven't personally read anything that says either way.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

And now I'm crying. Cool, thanks X-O.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Edit:

Better link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OSl5nufl1A&feature=share

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God I hope that the rumors of it being a mess aren't true. Also the history geek in my hates that it looks like the Germans in this are basically evil Nazis, when WW1 is, to stay the least, complex on who was good and who was bad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Logan was so good. Anyone manage to read the wrestling ad on the back of the comic? Was wondering if it had any good in jokes or something.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
HQ version of the WW trailer

Everything we've seen looks so...well, unbad so far that the final product would really have to fumble things to be anything other than a perfectly decent film. All they have to do is to keep it simple, keep it exciting, keep it appealing. They've got to be capable of that little, right?

The one thing here that I'm not 100% comfortable with is all that focus on that sword, as if having a sword is some vital aspect of WW instead of, y'know, her lasso. But then...if what I've heard ends up being accurate, there may be a good reason they're doing that.

twistedmentat posted:

God I hope that the rumors of it being a mess aren't true. Also the history geek in my hates that it looks like the Germans in this are basically evil Nazis, when WW1 is, to stay the least, complex on who was good and who was bad.
According to some press screenings of some scenes, the Germans here were on the verge of armistice until the antagonists of the film manipulate things so that the war would continue. I dunno if that means they're gonna make things about WWI a bit more gray instead of black and white, but still.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Couple scenes of her flying, was it clear that she could fly in BvS?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was by far my least favorite of the trailers we've gotten, but I'm still hopeful this is good.

I wonder what the oh so terrible secret is they must keep from Diana in this version will be. She's going to be the daughter of Ares or something isn't she?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Couple scenes of her flying, was it clear that she could fly in BvS?
No flying in BvS, but also no sign she couldn't fly.

(Well except for her boarding a plane, but maybe she just likes planes)

(nah no one likes planes)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She did kind of do that flying charge at Doomsday I guess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

X-O posted:

I wonder what the oh so terrible secret is they must keep from Diana in this version will be. She's going to be the daughter of Ares or something isn't she?

Was that a rumor going around? I hope that wasn't a rumor. I'd be fine if they go with either making her unaware of being the daughter of Zeus, or the daughter of Hercules.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Obviously context is everything, but I'm not digging the comic relief bits they've shown off in these trailers. Seems kinda at odds with the tone the film is going for. And yes, I realize I'm bitching about a DCCU movie not being 100% dark and serious.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The bullet block is a nice homage to Superman.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Obviously context is everything, but I'm not digging the comic relief bits they've shown off in these trailers. Seems kinda at odds with the tone the film is going for. And yes, I realize I'm bitching about a DCCU movie not being 100% dark and serious.

I think it's the setting. Comedy and WW1 don't exactly mix. Even Blackadder ended on a pretty :smith: note.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

X-O posted:

teagone posted:

Was that a rumor going around? I hope that wasn't a rumor. I'd be fine if they go with either making her unaware of being the daughter of Zeus, or the daughter of Hercules.
Well...do people actually wanna know? 'Cuz I've read some reliable summaries of the test screenings that have been right about everything shown so far, so at this point I'm pretty sure of the "secret." If people think it's okay I can put it in spoiler text, or they can PM me. I don't know what the policy is on these kinds of spoilers.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even All quiet on the western front had moments of humour, most war films do.
I'm okay with them playing up the 'fish out of water' angle so long as it doesn't go overboard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

According to some press screenings of some scenes, the Germans here were on the verge of armistice until the antagonists of the film manipulate things so that the war would continue. I dunno if that means they're gonna make things about WWI a bit more gray instead of black and white, but still.

That's what I am hoping. Or that Ares is actually manipulating everyone into making the war worse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

That was by far my least favorite of the trailers we've gotten, but I'm still hopeful this is good.

Her enemy's mom's name is Martha

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

howe_sam posted:

I think it's the setting. Comedy and WW1 don't exactly mix. Even Blackadder ended on a pretty :smith: note.

The Good Soldier Svejk shows differently. The humour just has to be acidic and dark. Same with The Last Day Of Mankind (book/theater).

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

site posted:

Her enemy's mom's name is Martha

The island is actually called Marthemyscira.

• Locked thread