Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
John Wick Chapter 2 Wick kills a lot of people and is able to survive overwhelming odds with skill and brutality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

poo poo man I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this but someone already made that incredibly clever joke.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

More like old joyless

Someone needs to build a web-scraper that pulls together all of these, and the posts that triggered them.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Rewatched Groundhog Day and noticed something new: when Phil takes the old man to hospital, there's a boy in the background with his leg in a cast - the boy Phil later catches falling out of a tree.

WangNV
Mar 22, 2001
I'm so lonely
Get Out: The gardener is out running at night because He's the grandfather (Bradly Whitford's dad), and he never got over losing to Jesse Owen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WangNV posted:

Get Out: The gardener is out running at night because He's the grandfather (Bradly Whitford's dad), and he never got over losing to Jesse Owen.

There are a bunch of great subtle things in that movie. The one I felt like an idiot for missing is that Chris saves himself by picking cotton.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are a bunch of great subtle things in that movie. The one I felt like an idiot for missing is that Chris saves himself by picking cotton.

Mind blown

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bitterandtwisted posted:

Rewatched Groundhog Day and noticed something new: when Phil takes the old man to hospital, there's a boy in the background with his leg in a cast - the boy Phil later catches falling out of a tree.

Groundhog Day is amazing, especially for how much work they put into the background scenes.

imo its the king of subtle movie moments.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I totally missed that joke. :vince:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bing!

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

This thread is almost 5 years old. It seriously needs a reboot. Someone should go ahead and make a new one, and I'll link to it in this thread!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Sponge Baathist posted:

It's not all that subtle and not a spoiler but the scene in Dazed and Confused at the liquor store where the (both offscreen until his lecture has established direction) cashier is lecturing the pregnant mom about how she needs to eat greens every day and get lots of calcium while checking her out as she's smoking and buying another pack and a bottle of whisky really struck a note. The way he says "See you tomorrow night" with a reserved certainty tells me that baby is gonna have problems.

It has a good subtle visual joke because it takes enough of the short lecture (by the time he says something like "pregnant moms need calcium") to reveal the woman and then by the time you can see she's smoking while pregnant and what she bought, the cashier confirms that he's not being preachy showing concern because the pregnant woman with a pack+bottle a day habit really should try to eat food.

It's kinda bleak but a really funny filler for something to cover the time it took for a character to carry beer from cooler to checkout.
The cashier is also one of the few characters in the movie that doesn't fall into the 'us'/youth or 'them'/old groups. He's sort of middling along, sympathetic to the kid buying alcohol but not part of the party scene.
Man I love Dazed and Confused.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

blunt for century posted:

This thread is almost 5 years old. It seriously needs a reboot. Someone should go ahead and make a new one, and I'll link to it in this thread!

Holy poo poo the passage of time has got to stop

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Before the thread gets a reboot, someone please answer me: what the hell is the thread's title referencing?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Before the thread gets a reboot, someone please answer me: what the hell is the thread's title referencing?

A joke about the ambiguous endings of both Inception and The Dark Knight Rises.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What was ambiguous about DKR's ending?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People aren't sure if Alfred seeing Bruce is supposed to be real or not.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Why wouldn't it be? The movies were pretty fun but i think they're looking for Jesus in burnt toast here

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol yeah there's nothing in the movie to indicate that it would be fake at all

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A new thread also needs a new title.
PYF Subtle Movie Moments: Brad Pitt became illiterate for this role

Or if you want to be authentic, the original post.

MariusLecter posted:

In Se7en, Brad Pitt's character is illiterate.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Mar 12, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It's almost like that is it :thejoke:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Escobarbarian posted:

lol yeah there's nothing in the movie to indicate that it would be fake at all

It was me and I said I'd like it better if the ending was ambiguous, like Inception.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Another question ; The whole "Brad Pitt learned not how to read for Se7en", where does that one come from?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know there's a theory that his character in Burn After Reading is illiterate, I'd imagine it was spun off of that.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I know there's a theory that his character in Burn After Reading is illiterate, I'd imagine it was spun off of that.

Oh right, that was the movie I was thinking of :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
we found your secret spy poo poo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Maybe, (probably), I'm missing the joke, but Brad Pitts character in se7en can definitely read. He buys the cliffs notes to Dantes Inferno etc. and in one scene can be seen referring to them.

His character in Burn after Reading, haven't seen the film in a while, but there's probably arguments both ways.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Maybe, (probably), I'm missing the joke, but Brad Pitts character in se7en can definitely read. He buys the cliffs notes to Dantes Inferno etc. and in one scene can be seen referring to them.

His character in Burn after Reading, haven't seen the film in a while, but there's probably arguments both ways.
Everyone of these posts that start with "maybe im missing the joke" in the last page or so have been hilarious. Its a not so subtle moment but still funny

Also, why does thread age matter? i dont get why its a motivator to close/create new thread

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Some guy made a easily refutable post about how brad Pitt couldn't read in Se7en and the thread ran with it as a joke for a few pages

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I think it was true romance that he forgot how to read for.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I do hate that about his writing. The main characters are always right and the world must eventually shift to their point of view.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Which show was it Aaron Sorkin forgot how to read for?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

KoRMaK posted:

Everyone of these posts that start with "maybe im missing the joke" in the last page or so have been hilarious. Its a not so subtle moment but still funny

Also, why does thread age matter? i dont get why its a motivator to close/create new thread

It helps bring in new posters who may be intimidated by the length and age of the current thread, and don't want to feel the need to read 4+ years of thread to be current. Also, it helps compile the frequently posted things in the very beginning of the new thread to help keep it from being posted regularly throughout the rest of the thread.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Does that ever really work though? People in the quotes thread ask for classic stuff that's on the first two pages all the time.

Just nitpicking, new thread, old thread, it's all good to me. :)

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

My Lovely Horse posted:

Does that ever really work though? People in the quotes thread ask for classic stuff that's on the first two pages all the time.

Just nitpicking, new thread, old thread, it's all good to me. :)

I think bigger threads archive better, but thats just me.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

blunt for century posted:

It helps bring in new posters who may be intimidated by the length and age of the current thread,

Anyone intimidated by the length of a forum thread is a bitch and should not be catered to. Give me their names so that I can snap a towel at them and make hurtful remarks about their mothers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I look forward to a new thread that is just the greatest quotes of this one for 10 pages. It's like Primer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inzombiac posted:

I do hate that about his writing. The main characters are always right and the world must eventually shift to their point of view.

I think you meant to post this in the irrationally irritating thread. About Whedon, yes?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

I think you meant to post this in the irrationally irritating thread. About Whedon, yes?

Or the Babylon 5 thread, about JMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Disgusting Coward posted:

Anyone intimidated by the length of a forum thread is a bitch and should not be catered to. Give me their names so that I can snap a towel at them and make hurtful remarks about their mothers.

I'm that guy. I get upset about thread length sometimes. So come at me.

I don't think you have the courage!