Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

Siri is good for only 2 things: settings alarms and setting timers.

Siri's also pretty useful for unit and currency conversions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone else have a problem turning bluetooth on after turning it off? I walk away from my desk bluetooth speaker for lunch at work, so I turn off bluetooth so I don't have my speaker beep when it is out of range. However, when I want to use bluetooth again, I have to turn it on twice from the phone. I swipe up, hit the "B" icon, wait about 5-10 seconds, and it turns off. I turn it on again, and it stays on. Every time I do this, I have to turn it back on twice. I can't really find a way to google this problem.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Initiating phone calls in the car.
Adding stuff to your grocery (reminders) list.
Just lol if your car doesn't have Bluetooth hands free.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Josh Lyman posted:

Just lol if your car doesn't have Bluetooth hands free.
Mine does, but it's easier, quicker, and more likely to work correctly if you press another button on the wheel to bring up Siri to make the call.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Siri's dictation for messages and stuff is pretty dang good. I have constant issues trying to get it to direct me to pretty simple locations. One time I asked Siri to "give me directions to American House in Livonia" and instead of giving me directions to the place Maps has listed as "American House Senior Living of Livonia" in Livonia, it gave me a list of other American House locations and not the one in Livonia. That's roughly when I stopped thinking I could rely on Siri to sensibly interpret commands.

Though don't kid yourself, Google Assistant is just as bad in different ways. Not sure if it's finally been updated to do so, but I can't even ask it to read my text messages.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

sleepwalkers posted:

Siri's dictation for messages and stuff is pretty dang good. I have constant issues trying to get it to direct me to pretty simple locations. One time I asked Siri to "give me directions to American House in Livonia" and instead of giving me directions to the place Maps has listed as "American House Senior Living of Livonia" in Livonia, it gave me a list of other American House locations and not the one in Livonia. That's roughly when I stopped thinking I could rely on Siri to sensibly interpret commands.

Though don't kid yourself, Google Assistant is just as bad in different ways. Not sure if it's finally been updated to do so, but I can't even ask it to read my text messages.

Sup Detroit buddy.

Asked her for the closest Walmart the other day. She directed me to Seattle.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TraderStav posted:

Sup Detroit buddy.

Asked her for the closest Walmart the other day. She directed me to Seattle.

take the hint already

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol why does my FB update say it's 183mb

(Yeah yeah I get it a lot of you quit social media and life is so much better or deleted FB off your phone long ago)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Really tho, the mobile version works perfectly. Make a shortcut on the home screen and try it for a day.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol why does my FB update say it's 183mb

(Yeah yeah I get it a lot of you quit social media and life is so much better or deleted FB off your phone long ago)

I just don't update the app and I get to use Messenger and not have it try to register itself as a VOIP app or turn by turn to ruin my battery.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

duckfarts posted:

take the hint already

Well, can't say you're off base on that actually.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Tried using Siri in my CarPlay enabled car last night to text my friend Jack. Siri told me that I have two contacts named Jack (it's a duplicate) and neither of them have a phone number, which is totally false.

One time I was driving on the freeway and saw a 24-hour CVS that I was previously unaware of. Asked Siri to direct me to CVS (I was in an unfamiliar part of town and didn't know where to go once I got off to get to it) and it gave me directions to one 30 minutes away because Apple Maps is a piece of poo poo and uses lovely Yelp data which only had hours for the pharmacy and it thought the location I just drove past was closed.

I basically bought my Honda Civic because it had CarPlay and now I bought a Google Pixel because Siri sucks so loving bad.

CarPlay is a disappointment because I can't use Waze, can't control Spotify music with voice, can't message friends on Messenger. Using CarPlay is like using iOS before the App Store came out or on any device before the 4 came out. It's awful.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

With Pioneers AppRadio 4, you can use CarPlay plus Pioneers version (called AppRadio), which allows other third party apps (like Waze) to be used. It's not perfect, but definitely better than just CarPlay alone.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

You have got to be loving kidding me

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

You have got to be loving kidding me

OK, that's pretty funny but kind of understandable. Has anyone seen if Alexa or Google do the same thing?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

flosofl posted:

OK, that's pretty funny but kind of understandable. Has anyone seen if Alexa or Google do the same thing?

You can try it with the google app on iOS. It got it right immediately.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

It's almost impressive that Siri understands the tilde sign but it's not applicable in practicality whatsoever. Google has the benefit of having an enormous wealth of search context so even if it might have thought you meant ~ it can string that with Swinton and correct itself to be more contextually accurate.

I've used the Google app to do voice searches and if I slightly misspeak while giving it a command and correct myself, it understands that. It's so much more impressive than Siri.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

It's almost impressive that Siri understands the tilde sign but it's not applicable in practicality whatsoever. Google has the benefit of having an enormous wealth of search context so even if it might have thought you meant ~ it can string that with Swinton and correct itself to be more contextually accurate.

I've used the Google app to do voice searches and if I slightly misspeak while giving it a command and correct myself, it understands that. It's so much more impressive than Siri.

Yeah, I tried correcting Siri, and all it did was pop up a choice between "Tilde Swinton" or "Tilda Swinton", but it reverts back to a blank slate when you try again.

Just underscores why I only really use basic voice stuff to control the phone while driving.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Works4me

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I tried correcting Siri, and all it did was pop up a choice between "Tilde Swinton" or "Tilda Swinton", but it reverts back to a blank slate when you try again.

Just underscores why I only really use basic voice stuff to control the phone while driving.

To be fair isn't the issue that that guy's Siri searched with Bing? I've honestly never used Bing outside of getting free Hulu but I imagine their websearch sucks loads, just like every other search engine that doesn't begin with "Go" and end in "ogle." To be fair I've also never seriously asked Siri to search for anything for me because I always assumed she would be terrible at it and I would be better off just taking 2 seconds to search manually.

I'm more impressed that saying "tilde" literally inserts the ~ character.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

There is actually a full range of punctuation available so technically you can dictate grammatically correct text messages using COMMA and FULL STOP like an old timey telegram.
Except that sometimes it won't work and you'll get the words embedded in your text so yeah.

Test:
This initial workshop identified workstation phasing, generated to several different sourcing strategies for those work scope; propose selection criteria to compare the sourcing strategies best benefit the Open Square brackets project).

This is a test of square brackets(hello)

This is a test of braces{hello}

This is a test of parentheses(hello)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Siri just interpreted me asking "how old is Tilda Swinton" as "I will just kill a swan"

After a few more tries I got to "hi old is tilde Swindon" and have given up.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Google Now is so much better than Siri it's not even a competition anymore. Years ago I asked Google Now to navigate to a very small shop that used a weird spelling in a foreign language (so doubly complicated to understand) and it understood immediately with the correct spelling. Similar results for individuals with unusual names and spelling (that aren't even part of my contacts). I guess Google having full access to their search engine gives them a big advantage and nowadays it is probably even much better, but that doesn't make Siri less underwhelming.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Google obviously has enough data to be better than Siri, but it's trivially expected that any common misunderstanding would be logged with original audio file, sent to some mechanical turks in India, and fixed. Also, what's the deal with stuff that Siri does recognise but still says "I can't do that". It's been like 5 years! Turn on the loving Personal Hotspot you lazy bitch!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Google Now is fundamentally trying to be an all-in-one solution (i.e., personal assistant and search engine), while Siri is about 90% personal assistant and 10% search engine.

Trying to compare them makes sense, but for me Siri works well with most of what I throw at it (reminders, calendar events, timers, alarms, smart home stuff). I just never ask it knowledge-based questions because I know that's not its forte.

Siri isn't unique at this, Amazon's Alexa isn't great at answering knowledge-based questions either. I think for both Amazon and Apple, they've purposefully kept their scope limited, probably because they know trying to compete against Google in the search space is a fool's errand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

To be fair isn't the issue that that guy's Siri searched with Bing? I've honestly never used Bing outside of getting free Hulu but I imagine their websearch sucks loads, just like every other search engine that doesn't begin with "Go" and end in "ogle." To be fair I've also never seriously asked Siri to search for anything for me because I always assumed she would be terrible at it and I would be better off just taking 2 seconds to search manually.

I'm more impressed that saying "tilde" literally inserts the ~ character.

I use Bing and it's like 90% as good as Google.

Apple's dilemma with Siri is that to be as good as Google they need to use your data like Google, and they've made a commitment to explicitly not do that. I was out with a friend last night and he kept getting notifications from Google Maps to check-in and take photos of places we were at. Even if one out of 1000 people does that, it's going to end up with much better data than Apple can manage without it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

~Coxy posted:

There is actually a full range of punctuation available so technically you can dictate grammatically correct text messages using COMMA and FULL STOP like an old timey telegram.
Except that sometimes it won't work and you'll get the words embedded in your text so yeah.

Test:
This initial workshop identified workstation phasing, generated to several different sourcing strategies for those work scope; propose selection criteria to compare the sourcing strategies best benefit the Open Square brackets project).

This is a test of square brackets(hello)

This is a test of braces{hello}

This is a test of parentheses(hello)

That's neat, I guess I should play around with Siri and dictation a bit.

To make square brackets you need to specify left or right for example [. Dictated from Siri.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Siri just interpreted me asking "how old is Tilda Swinton" as "I will just kill a swan"

After a few more tries I got to "hi old is tilde Swindon" and have given up.

I was curious so I just did it too

I guess me and that other guy both speak bad.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
i did find that choosing your siri voice will also choose what accent it is trying to listen for; for example, aussie siri will refuse to interpret "st. louis" correctly no matter how you say it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

duckfarts posted:

i did find that choosing your siri voice will also choose what accent it is trying to listen for; for example, aussie siri will refuse to interpret "st. louis" correctly no matter how you say it

Yeah I tired that with the British Siri, the American one didn't like my bad cockney
WOT and 'ALLO!, but the British Siri got it right away.

That said, you can choose options for your accent and the one Siri uses, they don't have to be the same.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are you showing your 100 saved hours? I'm at 450. :cool:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have a couple hundred saved hours, but I don't really think it makes any difference, it's not like I have to get through a certain number of podcasts per week or anything.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For the last year, maybe longer, I turned off smart speed because it was doing weird stuff. Only turned it back on recently. I could be up to 250 by now. :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Are you showing your 100 saved hours? I'm at 450. :cool:

Mine's at 150, which is kind of surprising. I listen to like 3-4 audiobooks a month so I thought it'd be a lot higher.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks to this thread I had a dream about smart speed last night.

Also, I worked out how to format a dead simple podcast XML so now I can listen to radio tapes in Overcast. Time to die, Podcast.app.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I don't enable smart speed in Overcast cause i listen to mostly comedy podcast and don't want them loving up timing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Another day, another LastPass flaw discovered. Stop using this bad software guys!

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/842205051082821632

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol if you use a password manager in 2017.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Josh Lyman posted:

Just lol if you use a password manager in 2017.

lol I guess

I also use 1Password to keep track of my haircuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i just filed a bug with 1password for auditing my social security number and asking me to change it